Thursday 30 March 2017

Crash Course in War Gods pt 2



--- Last Time ---

Child: There is a saying that I have heard from a mortal, once. That for Evil to win, all it takes is for good men to do nothing. I am known as a protector of warriors, my love. If I were to have declined, then what kind of protector could I truly have called myself in the end? No, despite it all, if I was to be true to myself and my ideals, I needed to do this. Though, it will always be my most solemn wish that the war soon ends. There is so much more that our world has to offer to see it end at their hands.
Boy:.... I…. I understand…

Boy [inner thoughts]: This world is more important, after all. I just wish I could see it with you… Our better world...

--- Main Camp, Unknown Location ---

*As the Child and Boy continue to speak about some of the gods they had met during the meeting, the Child leads them towards the food tent at a sedate pace, so that they might continue their conversation*

Boy: *Sigh* so Master… that about the Yoruba god Master Oura? Something for as interesting as he was he kind of stayed to himself for the most part… i know you said you don't know much about him but…

Child: Master Ogoun? Ah, yes, I know more of him than him actually directly, so I can give you a little info. Master Ogoun is actually one of the older lifeforms. Well, not counting Mother, of course, but he is actually considered one of the first primordial Orisha to come to earth. He was once thought to have been the first king of life. Though….I’d be careful to show him respect. He once killed those who didn’t….uh...well, then himself after. Still, rumour has it he just vanished instead of dying, and would come back to help those who call for him. Well, as you can guess, he didn’t exactly ‘vanish’ but I’d guess that more meant he achieved some form of divinity. As you know, those born with godly blood can only achieve divinity through their own actions, whereas you then have gods like me who just…..*They make an odd hand motion* Poof?

Boy: ‘Poof’? Ahc, the all mighty war god [Child’s Name] has resorted to using sound effects…. Pft!

Child: Pft, yes, well, I’m not primarily a war god. Wasn’t what my existence was needed for. And I wasn’t exactly aware of what I did when I came into existence. Well, other than shock a few unsuspecting gods who really weren’t expecting little old me to pop up. So...yes. Poof.

Boy: Begs the question, were you born a baby or just a little kid? ‘Coz if you were a baby, I need to see the portraits ‘that woman’ must have made. I only remember you as a snarky young kid - or young poof? *chuckle*

Child: *Laughing, before making a motion of short height* Oh, I remember enough once I came into existence. I was about this height. According to Mother, I was quite cute. Then I told Zeus he was an idiot. I think I probably sent half the gods into hysterics. Pretty much got bumped to favourite little brat after that. Heh, I really was a brat. No wonder my furry companions are such troublemakers.

Boy: I guess Kuro is the anomaly. He's always well behaved - well, he does get kind of clingy when I'm not around too long, but appart from that, he's a saint. But the rest of them... well, they’re just like playful kids, I guess.

*They both give adoring smiles before entering their destination*

Child: Yes, well, Kuro was made for you. If I made something that would just get on your nerves, it would defeat the object of keeping him around, wouldn’t you say? *He chuckles slightly* Well, anyway, less about me. I should continue what I was saying. So, Ogoun, He’s a god of war and metals, and his followers are usually hunters, blacksmiths and drivers in the Yoruba religion. Oh, and I don’t know if you also noticed his behaviour might have a little similarities to your father as well. He’s not the same type of being as him, but Ogoun is known for certain canine behaviours.

*The boy shivers slightly thinking of the events prior  as they both take their seats*

Boy: W-wait, then does that mean h-he was sizing me up! He was giving off a predatory glare the whole time! *Mumble* Was one of the reasons I was shaking at first….

Child: Well, he probably was. I wouldn’t take it personally. He’s just an aggressive, straight forwards kind of guy. He probably just wanted to be certain you could face the danger. If you had been cowering, he probably wouldn’t have been as receptive. But you handled the pressure well, so he likely accepted you into out….ah…’pack’ here.   

Boy: And I thought the gods back home were scary…. I’m gonna die here, aren't I?

Child: Of course not. You know I wouldn’t let you die if I could stop it. Like I said, you got their attention. You’re one of us now, so you’re fine.

Boy: Yeah… right…. Oh…um, yeah! What about Morrigan? The three goddesses? There was only one today. Are they like Sumiyoshi Sanjin is? So which one was with us today?

Child: Well, yes, they are indeed three sisters. Badb, Macha and Nemain. Badb takes the form of a crow, so unless she was on someone’s shoulder or in the rafters, she wasn’t there. She’s known to cause fear and confusion in soldiers. Good against the enemy, not so much in a strategy meeting when you want everyone to pay attention and keep their heads, you know? But she may very well have just been suppressing her power. She can foresee certain deaths on the battlefield, after all.

Macha is associated with war, horses and sovereignty, so she doesn’t have quite the same issues as her sister. So I think it was her who was there today. Nemain has a similar issue as Badb - she is the embodiment of the chaos and frenzy of war, again, not precisely the best for clear thinking.

Boy: Those four are scary enough - I don’t think I wanna hear about the rest. Not yet anyway. I feel like a lamb in a den of wolves in comparison to you all.

Child: You shouldn’t *placing their hands on his shoulder* Remember who’s chosen you are. In war, no matter what happens, everyone meets the same fate. You are the ally of that fate. And in that sense, it is not you that should fear them. You are….stronger than one. An ultimate equalizer. You have every right to be here, and have their respect. *They gently stroke his cheek.* Just as you have mine.

Boy: I… um, Mast-

Drunken Soldier: AHHH! No fair! No flirting with our fairy, Master!!!

Drunken Soldier 2: Yeah, we all have to behave around the little lady, so, so do you! Hahaha! *Hick*  

Child: Ah, but have you never heard the saying of ‘Flirting with death’? *He laughs as he pulls away, waving a finger.* And I’ll have you know I’m behaving perfectly. We’re just playing a game right now. I’m winning so far, so I think that means I’m owed a drink, right? *He gives the Boy a look to play along for now*

Boy: Y-yes master! I’ll go get it now!!!

*Quickly fleeing from the slight crowd, the boy runs to the bartender to get a bottle of sacred wine.*

Drunken Soldier 1: So! I know she saved our buts the other day but who izakly  is Zee master?

Drunken Soldier 2: *Lightly nudging the child's arm* Don't tell me she's your girlfriend! Say it ain't so! Not our fairy! *Posing dramatically*

Drunken Soldier 1: Hahahaha.

Child: I’m surprised that you don’t recognise the child of Mother. They’ve been in training with Master T, so I’ve not seen them in a while. They also came with a new strategy. With their help, we’ll hopefully have this war over soon.

Drunken Soldier 2: Not in the sacred temple much, so I don't know ‘er

Drunken Soldier 1: Wait, wasn't that the girl you had a sparing match with?! Wait, she took out the enemy last time??? She couldn't even beat you last time! What changed?

Drunken Soldier 3: I kind of want to see a rematch between ya.

Drunken Soldier 4: Me too - I wasn't there for it last time, but I kinda wanna see it now.

Child: Mm…. *Looks in the direction that the Boy had gone* I’d like to see that, too. In fact…. *They smile* I’ll be very happy if they can beat me. Not that I would let them win, but….If they can surpass me, then, maybe….*They close their eyes and smile. *Yes, I think I would very much like to see just how strong they are now.

*After a time, the boy comes back with a wine bottle, and the meals for both the Child and themselves*

Boy: Oh… um… I thought I should get the food while I was up there. So what were you gentlemen talking about?

Drunken Soldier 1: Oh, nothin’… just about you fighting Master.

Boy: Huh!... T-that was a long time ago!!!

Child: They’re rather interested to see how we would fair against each other now. Perhaps when your training is fully complete, we should have a rematch. I think it will be an interesting match, to say the least. I think it’s possible you’ll even defeat me this time, too.

Boy: And what, pray tell, would be the point? I won’t fight you unless I have a good reason… plus, I still feel bad about last time… so…

Drunken Soldier: Aww, come on, I’ll buy you a pretty dress if you do.

Drunken Soldier: I’ll buy you a necklace. Come on, it would be epic to see!!!

Boy: ...

Child: I believe that if they don’t want to fight for no reason, they don’t need to. If they fight, it’ll be because they want to, not due to bribes. Of course, you could always try to explain to Mother what you’re trying…

Boy: That's not entirely fuls. It's just  you gentlemen don't have anything i desire… but master on the other hand? Well if master could make my reward worth while then…

Child: We’ll see. As much as I would enjoy the challenge, the war comes first, I suppose. Like I said, if all goes well, we’ll be home soon enough. I’ll just see our battle as something to look forwards to when it’s over.

Boy: Aww, need a little practice in before you face me, Master? *chuckle* Or you can’t think of anything good to give me? *Smile mockingly*

Child: Oh, it’s not that. It’s just that what I wish to offer is something I couldn’t until the war is over. But I know that it is something you may like very much.

*The Boy sets the food and wine down before slowly and deliberately walking over to the Child’s side, sitting on their lap and speaking in a tongue only known to the gods*

Boy: Is that so? May I have a hint, my love?

Child: *Leaning their chin on the back of their hand, a smirk on their lips* Hm….I think I’ll keep it my little secret for now. Just know that you’ll like it. Until then, my lips are sealed.

Boy: Meany. You’re such a tease *Chuckle*

Drunken Soldier 2: Ay… No fair! Speaking in a language we don’t understand!!! Plus, they’re flirting again!!!

Child: *Offering a smirk to the Soldier* Awww, I’m sorry, did you want to join in on the blushing game, too? I think you’ve already lost, considering that drunk blush you have. *flicks the man on the nose*

Drunken Soldier 2: Yeah, yeah!

Drunken Soldier 1: Hahaha! Well, I guess we’ll take our leave. Drown our sorrows in booze ‘til we fall asleep ‘n’ all that. Hahaha!

Drunken Soldier 3: Hahaha! Well, I’m off, I got the morning patrol. So, I bid Fair Lady and Master adieu. Hahahaha

*With that, the pair were left alone again*

Boy: Fair Lady, huh? I’m not even dolled up right now? I think the booze must have gotten to them already. Bunch of lightweights. Hahaha!

*The boy, slowly, with practiced hands poured for the child, still speaking the tongue of the gods*

Child: Well, I didn’t want to ruin the fun. They never realised I never actually said your gender. Maybe I’m just too used to having fun with it, myself? I’m sure they’ll feel a bit foolish by morning, once the hangover’s gone.

Boy: ...Well, maybe it’s better if they think I’m a woman… That woman can change herself. Theoretically, I should be able to do the same…  then maybe one day I can have your offspring.

Child: Maybe. We, after all, do know what one of my skills is. *They chuckle* Well, I think we may need to be a bit more careful here, though. We were lucky that they were only drunks. *Sighing* I should take my own advice, it appears. Still, no harm done. Well, shall we eat? We have a lot to do tomorrow after all.

Boy: … Yeah… You’re right.

*The boy removes himself from the child’s lap, sitting on the opposite side of the table*

Boy: My apologies, Master, I’ll be careful from now on.

Child: That wasn’t a criticism on you, love. *Gives a smile* It’s more I hadn’t realised my own control was so lax. I guess that I missed you more than I thought. And considering how much I missed you….well, it’s telling. I’m sure we’ll get the hang of it sooner or later. Still, chin up. I have a feeling that things will go well. And I wasn’t joking about the thing I had in mind for you, either. But….for now, I want to keep it sealed. I certainly don’t want to jinx it, but know I do look forwards to the day I can tell you.

Boy: … Yeah….

*Silently, the boy begins to eat his meal*


Boy [inner thought]: W-what is this…? I can’t taste anything… and ...No, no, don't think about it! Just keep yourself in check. Keep your emotions in check!!!

Child: Ah…[Boy’s name]? Are you….perhaps, still nervous? I’m sorry, I hadn’t meant to make you more concerned. If you’d like, I could give you a hint? Or we could speak of something else, if it will take your mind off the nerves.

Boy: N-no, I’m fine. I’m… fine. I’ll be ok?

Child: If you’re sure...but, Love, no matter what, if there’s ever a problem, know I’ll always listen, ok? I believe in you, though, so you believe in you, too.

Boy: …. Yeah…. I know. It's just, I felt strange for the moment. I'm fine now… but, may I ask you something? It's important.

Child: Anything. What would you like to know?

Boy: If… if my light was snuffed out from this world… would you… would you wait for me…? or would you forget me…? I had a dream, once, when we were apart… I saw your sad eyes being left behind, and I’d rather you forget me if I go first. Don’t mourn me, ok? That’s all I ask of you, just forget me.

Child: ….You….You know I….couldn’t do that. I could never forget you. You’re my light, after all. I would do all in my power to make sure yours was never snuffed from this world….. *They take a shaky breath, eyes closed* But….at the same time, I’m not a child. I….I know there will always be a possibility that….one of us might not….Make it. *He takes another shaky breath* Still, could I ask the same of you? If I were to die first, would you move on? If you can do that for me in turn, then I’ll do my best to keep looking forwards for you. But never ask me to forget you. I may move on, but you have helped to shape me into who I am today. I could never truly forget about you. Even if we were to live another life.

Boy: I would never move on… because I would join you right after. You know what my father's kind are, right…? We can't live nor move on without our life partners - mates, if you will. Both our hearts and our sanity wouldn't be able to take the pain.

Child: *Reaching over to take his hand* Well, perhaps we should do our very best not to die then. I’d rather neither of us ever have to feel that pain.

*Lacing their fingers with the Child’s*

Boy: ... Yeah…. You’re right… Just wait for me on the other side and I’ll do the same. You should be reborn pretty quickly because of how needed you are. I, on the other hand... well, I might take a bit longer. But I’ll do my best to find you again. So, promise you’ll do the same… right?

Child: I’ll do my best. And if I can’t find you, I’ll wait for you, so that, one day, you can find me. Would you look for me?

Boy: Of course! I wouldn't be complete without you. *Tears up slightly* Not ever. Cliche as it sounds, it the truth. I-I, my eyes could never look to anyone else but you. My heart hurts when we’re apart, and, and….

Child: Then, let us do our best, that we will never be torn in such a way. I still have something I want to give to you when it’s all over, after all. *Leaning their head against the boy’s, they search his eyes, a small smile on their face* And, for fulfil that, I can’t die. And neither can you. Not ever.

Boy: Yes! My love, I-

Venus: Well, it looks like your bond is as strong as ever.

Ares: Indeed.

Boy: Aunty…? Uncle? What are you doing here.

Venus: Well, I felt a disturbance in the air and I wanted to check it out, but old Ares wouldn’t let me go without company.

Child: Hmph, Always with the interruptions. Well, you know what they say. Everything is fair in love and war, I suppose *Their expression switches to something a bit more serious* What kind of disturbance are we talking about, here? Something serious? If it was just us, then Ares wouldn’t have been so insistent...

* She begins to look around at the now empty tent, but then still lowers her voice*

Venus: … Well…

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment