Sunday 2 April 2017

Seeds of Disaster pt 1



--- Last Time ---


Boy: Aunty…? Uncle? What are you doing here.
Venus: Well, I felt a disturbance in the air and I wanted to check it out, but old Ares wouldn’t let me go without company.


Child: Hmph, Always with the interruptions. Well, you know what they say. Everything is fair in love and war, I suppose *Their expression switches to something a bit more serious* What kind of disturbance are we talking about, here? Something serious? If it was just us, then Ares wouldn’t have been so insistent...


* She begins to look around at the now empty tent, but then still lowers her voice*


Venus: … Well…


--- Food Tent, Main Camp, Unknown Location ---


*Sitting around the table, The Child and the Boy settle, frowning but paying close attention to Venus, who had, not moments before, entered the tent with some rather interesting information about a ‘disturbance’ that had caused her, guarded by Ares, to enter and reveal the information to the two of them. Patiently, they wait for Venus to gather her thoughts and continue*


Venus: Well, first of all, I would like to know how you both are doing. Your emotional state,  that is. Then, you both as a couple. Both of you opinions, please.


*The child raises an eyebrow*


Child [Inner Thoughts]: Venus isn’t the smartest of gods, but she’s not stupid. She wouldn’t bring up such a question right after talking about a disturbance if there wasn’t something linking them, no matter how much some tend to saddle her with the ‘ditzy pretty girl’ title. But usually, emotions like this wouldn’t be too much of a cause for concern in the way she seems to be making it out to be….Best play along. She’s obviously leading up to something.


Child: Hm….well, other than being a little tired, I wouldn’t say there’s anything wrong with me, per say. War always takes a toll, but...I wouldn’t say I was depressed or anything. Just a little weary. *Turning to the Boy* What about you?  


Boy: … I’m fine….


Venus’ eyes begin to narrow slightly and she shifts her weight, sitting on the edge of the table, arms folded under her bosom*


Venus: Hmm…. Is that so? And your relationship, you both are still new to my game, so...? How are you holding up? I can imagine this war isn’t easy on both of you?


*Noticing the withdrawn manner that the Boy was holding himself in, the Child, hand hidden in their sleeve, clenches slightly*


Child [Inner Thoughts]: Why is he acting like that? It can’t just be nerves from earlier….Is….there something wrong with him? Emotionally? Something that was causing the disturbance that Venus mentioned?


*Making sure to watch a little closer now, without seeming to, the Child hummed for a moment*


Child: To be honest, I think that if our enemy were in front of us I’d very much like to feed them to my furry companions while telling them that they keep interrupting the time I’d much rather spend with my Love, of course. Though I imagine if I did that it would just get me killed and be pretty much a redundant pastime. If they were going to stop a war because of love it would have happened long before this. * they thread their fingers together* As it is, any time I spend with Him is precious to me. I want to give him something that I would give no one else, but with this war going on it makes things difficult for the both of us. Still, I hold out hope that, when all's said and done, I can give him everything.


*They put a hand over their mouth, expression troubled.*


Child: Venus…..you wouldn’t bring this up for no reason, goddess of Love or not. What has our relationship and emotions got to do with this disturbance?


*The Goddess’ eyes are now trained on the boy, whose body stiffens as he fruitlessly attempts to take hold of his emotions.*


Venus: It seems my suspicions were correct….  You are both being targeted. More precisely, HE has already made his move. Damaging this little flower this way…
Well, I guess it revenge on the Mother rather than the child. But still, this is far too cruel, on both of you.


Child: Damag- Wait, what has He done to him?! *hand on the table, the child is ramrod straight now, worry and panic in his eyes.* Venus, don’t talk around the subject - what is He doing? And, you say both of us he’s targeting? How? Why?


Venus: Calm down, little one. It's nothing physical…thus far.  Rather, he’s trying to destroy our realm by going after our heros, planting…seeds, if you will, that tamper with your emotional state. Those whose powers rely on their emotion, like our dear [Boys name], here, will feel it more. Hence the disturbance I felt. For those He cant effect directly, He’ll use deceit and manipulation to blacken their hearts. This destruction has even affected our realm…. I can imagine how it must be to deal with this on the lower plane.


Child: Emotional control….To think He would stoop to such a level….*Taking a calming breath* I’ve not noticed anything. At least in my own emotions. Then again, I’m not someone who relies on emotions to use my abilities….But, what we’ll need to do is to put a stop to such a thing before it really does twist things beyond repair for any of us. None of us would ever want to be strung along like puppets under the pretence of doing it under own own will.


*He covers one hand over the other, face set and determined.


Child: So now we’re aware that apparently He is capable of such a feat, does anyone know how He is even capable of ‘planting’ these seeds?


Ares: It's not hard. The same way you cause man to go to war, emotions are such delicate things, easy enough to play with. Gods and goddesses like Madam here do it all the time. Amplify the emotions, set the stage and watch the scene unfold. For extremely emotional beings, this can be both a blessing and a curse. For the most part, this one *He gestures at the boy* is feeling the latter. As far as we know, there’s no stopping it. All we can do is treat the ‘issue’ - stop the seeds from spreading.


Child *Teeth gritting a moment, but closes their eyes, calming themselves once again* So, what you’re trying to say is that He isn’t using any particular method to do this beyond using His natural abilities. If anything, it’s not even a tactic that hasn’t been used before, to sow chaos in the enemy's side. By targeting those chosen to be Heroes, it would not only cause chaos, but also cause a definite drop in morale. The Heroes aren’t just chosen because they are strong, but also to help serve and protect for a greater cause. If Heros can’t be trusted to remain in control….


*Their eyes narrow and they absently bite on their thumbnail*


Child: ….I hate to admit it, but He’s….chosen a very effective method…..Still, there has to be a way of preventing it. Nothing like that can be foolproof. Who knows of this so far? Do we have anyone looking into it?


Ares: Become void of all emotion? If you have none, then there are none to manipulate. It’s not a very nice way to live, becoming a walking doll, but we noticed the resurrected heroes show no sign of being affected. Negative side of that is the whole dying thing. You’re essentially a living breathing doll, memories groggy too. But that’s the last result.


*The air begins to vibrate slightly. The boy begins to shake a little, as tears well in his eyes*


Venus: Little miss, look for my light. It’s safe here. This way. Don’t linger in that place too long, it’s not safe there. Come back to the light, my light. that’s it, that's it.


*The boy begins to snap out of his trance and the air settles once more*


Boy: A-Aunty?  W-what’s happening to me? *Tears begin streaming from his eyes*


Ares: … We’re looking into this the best we can… Those of us who are well versed in learning and healing have been working non stop since the first of these incidents. But, as you can see, these issues flare up now and again.


Child: *Hands clenched* There’s no way that dying is a method we should chose. Killing off heroes, temporarily in the case of emotionally, or otherwise, to become emotionless dolls would be playing into the enemy’s hands, if in a different way. It would turn allies against us. ‘How can we trust a side that would make puppets out of it’s heroes?’ - questions like that would sew almost as much chaos. Besides, I doubt anyone alive wishes to be an emotionless husk.


*The child, shaken, but otherwise keeping their composure, thinks for a long moment*


Child: This….isn’t an undertaking that can be jumped on without a lot of thought. Even if the method was temporary, it could still cause may issues. We’ve established that [Boy’s Name] relies heavily on emotions for their powers. Likewise, other heroes need to tap into specific emotions to use certain abilities. Cutting out emotions could render half our forces useless, or extremely vulnerable. It’s definitely not something any of us could sustain long term


Child [Inner Thoughts]: Not to mention that I certainly wouldn’t want to become even less than the enemy, too. To look at my love and not feel anything at all….?


*They try not to shiver*


Ares: I don’t like the idea of killing my heros, it the same as killing a child; it just doesn't sit right to me. What I was referring to was the heros that had past. Currently, I have found something interesting, going back to that doll concept. Well, I say ‘doll’… My hero, XXXX, has a tendency to block out ‘distractions’ and cut down their target. No matter what may come to effect them, they will alway land their blow. Think of it like this: your target is in front of you and you enemies are attacking from all sides with arrows. No matter how many arrows strike or miss, you keep charging forward until you strike down you target. After they are slain, your focus will be on them alone. After that, your ‘Master’ will then heal your injuries. I believe a team would be good for defence, too, so each of you can protect each other while a few take said arrows. If that makes sense?  It's a temporary way to work around the issue. But, for now, it's the most solid strategy we have.  Mother herself is working on a way to purify the Hero's once the task is done. But it's a long process. We may have to retain certain heros to learn how to control their emotions better. That may also help with things.


*Closing their eyes, the child calms their emotions. They might be slightly annoyed to be somewhat misunderstood, but getting angry about it was only playing to what could be emotional manipulations. If they wanted to win this war, no matter how impossible it might seem with enemies that were outright controlling them in a way that no one could tell until it was too late, they had to stay calm.


Child [Inner Thoughts]: I suppose it’s a good thing that I’ve learned not to act on many of my emotions long before this. Otherwise even this could come to have….difficult outcomes


Child: I’m aware you were speaking of the resurrected heroes from the past, rather than current heroes, Ares. However, while that is good to know for the sake of those heroes, it still doesn’t particularly account for those who are still living. And, true, our emotions could be repressed, but I still think it can’t be a permanent solution, if we don’t want some of our strongest fighters to be completely sidelined due to their powers being suppressed by lacking emotion.


*The Child thinks for a long moment*


Child: ...Still, we shouldn’t discount that there is actually other methods, ones we could use long term. Not to say the ‘buddy system’ wouldn’t work, but there are still many things that could still be used against it as well. We may need to look at more than just Thinkers and healers, here….Hm….There are some people I’d like to talk to about this more, but….*He glances over to the Boy for a moment* I….know this is a lot to take in. If you like, I can at least help with a few meditation methods, if for ‘Master’ hasn’t already taught you some. At least until we can come up with a solution. ...Speaking of Master T, do you know if he’s aware of anything strange like this?


Venus: Who do you think first brought it up, little one? He was the first one to sense all of this and one of the first to take action. But, at the same time, he hasn't called to this one yet. Rather, he sent me down here. The best I can do is purify him for now, and get to the root of the cause. If we can fix that, and get to turn with it, it might be enough to loosen ‘his’ grip on the boy.


Child: Well, at least there’s something….But….I was hoping to get a response from {Boy’s Name]. No offense, Venus, but….I’m concerned for him. Talking about him as if he’s not here is not going to help. *Turning to the boy* [Boy’s Name], Love, I know this is sounding difficult, but we can get through this, ok? *They hold a hand to him* Whatever happens, we’ll help. And, once everything’s sorted, want to help me punch His head for having such a stupid idea?


Child [Inner Thoughts]: I know that humour might not be the most appropriate thing, but my Love always did do best with a goal in mind. And that he knows he’s not alone, not isolated, should at least help him. We need to get through this together. I want him to know that, even now, I’ll support him.


*the boy recoils slightly, pulling the hood over his face, but nodded in acknowledgement. His body shaking again, this time in fear. Fear of the unknown future.*


Boy: ….Yes….


Child: …..Love, if nothing else, can you believe in me? I made you a promise, didn’t I? I have something to give you. For me to do that, we need to get through this together. I will never let you falter. No matter what.


Boy: O-ok… but… but right now, I think I need to be excused… I want to be alone…to collect my thoughts, that is.


Child: I….I see. When you’re done, meet me back at my tent, OK?


Boy: …I’m sorry….


*With that, the boy made his way out the tent to wander around the camp grounds*


*Sighing, the Child rubs the bridge of his nose for a moment*


Child: ...There might have been a….better way to break this news. Especially with emotions involved. It’s hard not to feel as though I failed at something. Still….Would there be….any chance that I might talk with Master T? While he is not my Master, I was asked to keep an eye on [Boy’s Name]. I would have anyway, but since he is the one being effected, it might be best to talk to Master T, since it is his Hero currently being effected. Perhaps between us we can think of something to help, at least until we have an official method we can use long term.


Venus: Hm… I don’t feel you failed. It’s more of that boy wanting not to burden you. You know how he likes to deal with things on his own. But yes, I’ll arrange a meeting with T. He should be available to talk telepathically with you, at the very least. I wouldn't worry too much for now.


Child: Thank you. Ah, though, before you do that, is there anything I should know? Anything I should look for? Especially in myself. If I’m to help, I need to know I can trust myself, or at least pinpoint what is being manipulated. Full god or not, I’m still a Chosen Hero. There’s a chance that something may show in myself, too.


Ares: I’ll make a list for you. I’ll have it done by the morning. For now, I suggest you go find that child.


Venus: I think it might be best to approach this a lover, rather than a ‘master’ in this situation. It’s what’s best for his current condition. Oh! Don’t force anything, either, from yourself or him. I’ll also prepare a heavenly spring - use it to relax and purify yourselves. It might help in taking the edge of things. Besides, I can make it ‘romantic’, to try and take you minds off things for now.  Leave the brunt work to us. We talk to you telepathically when we have any updates. I think doing all this should help. But only time will tell.


Child: Thank you, Mistress Venus. I’ll see what I can do. Though…..ah, don’t bush too much on the emotions right now. I imagine that he’ll be keeping a metaphorical eye on that. But a little atmosphere never hurts. Anyway, I’ll be awaiting your message. Until then, I’ll see if I can’t help {Boy’s Name]. As Always, your help is appreciated, Mistress Venus, Master Ares.


*With an elegant bow to both gods, the Child leaves the tent in search of the Boy*


[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment