Sunday 9 April 2017

Seeds of Despair pt 3



--- Last Time ---

*Enchanted by their smile, the boy gives the Child a brief kiss*

Boy: Yeah… I believe in us, too, so let's give this all we have *Wrapping arms around the Child's neck*

Child: *Pulling the boy in closer* Everything and more, my love, everything and more.

*With that, they capture the boy’s mouth in another, lingering kiss*

--- Child’s Tent, Main Camp, Unknown Location ---

*A warm breeze flutters throughout the tent, the sound of faint pleasure rings in the air, as the pair reassure each other of their bond, chasing away their doubts with euphoria.Their fingers intertwine as the feeling of supple flesh and ragged breath brings them to the edge of their own ecstasy, though they remember their vows to their respective patrons, and restrain themselves from pushing just that little further into true bliss. Deep into the night*

*The moon glow radiates in the sky drowning out the faint flicker of the stars, bathing the campsite in a gentle silvery light. Other than the guards, who remain still, silent as shadows, the peace of the campsite remains unbroken. The shadows, however, are not as still as they may appear. A coolness tinges the air, a strange feeling, not threatening, but oddly quiet, gentle, like an endless peace. The darkness seems more solid, darker than dark, yet there is no true foreboding, and by the time the guards glance it’s way, the shadows have returned to the way they once were.*

*A short while past since the lovers…. ‘Nightly activity’, the Child, fighting the urge to hold the small bundle in his arms, gently caresses the curled locks that laces between their fingers, their hue seemed to glisten like starlight now. After placing one last airy kiss on the boys lips, they begrudgingly leave his side, slowly making their way to the side lamp, faintly  leaning its glow to their work space. A few moments go by as they read through paperwork, sign document and write letters to their fellow commanders. The lantern in the corner of the tent begins to grow brighter than the sun for just a moment, then fade to nothingness as its position changes. The Child quickly turns back to see a robed being soothing the boy’s hair, the lantern-staff clutched in its masculine hand*

Being: Such a pitiful situation you find yourself in, my dear, it seems. For now, you  have had a moment of clarity. I suppose it was thanks to them, no?

*The Child, alarmed at first, begins to realize how tenderly the figure treated the boy. As they watched, the Child began to realize the atmosphere of the room, a feeling that few gods could possess. Hoping to to disturb the Boy from his much needed rest, the Child steps forwards, respectfully as possible. If this was who they believed, then they deserved the highest respects*

Child: Even if we have not met in person, there is no living thing that does not know you. You...you are Lord Thanatos, are you not?

Child [Inner Thoughts]: While I am not a creator in the way Mother is, I am a god often linked to Life. It is impossible not to sense when one’s antithesis is close by. This is [Boy’s Name]’s master.

Child: Did...Mistress Venus speak with you?

Lord Thanatos: If that is what you wish to call me, then yes, my child. And no, I came  because I sensed this little bud beginning to wither. Thought beginning to taint his being. I would rather him come with me than face ‘Him’ and his brand of seduction, *sigh* but then again, I don't wish to separate the two of you quite yet. You seem to be a good influence on this little bud. For that, I thank you.

Child: Ah….thank you? I hope that I am able to help as much as possible. I never want Him to harm my love. Even so, I also wouldn’t want to stand in the way of his safety, either. I hope that, whatever I’m able to do, it will help until we can find a way to free him of His influence….Speaking of that, my lord, is there any headway on that front? I’m afraid that we only heard of this ourselves yesterday, thanks to Mistress Venus, but from what she has said, it seems these ‘Seeds’ have been around for some time? Is...that true?

Lord Thanatos: *Chuckle* The ‘Seeds’ of which you speak are nothing to fear.

*Lord Thanatos tucks the boy in before removing a small cuff from his person and attaches it to the Boy’s ear*

Lord Thanatos: They are simply an amplifier of one’s darkest thoughts and emotions. Give in, and you succumb to his seduction. Resist and conquer those emotions, and you’ll be fine. Simple, no? But! I must ask that you not tell him that. I wish to see him figure this out himself. That way, he be able to gain a few ‘thorns’. While you wish to prevent him from coming to harm, I wish for him to learn the feeling of pain. It is a dark, but necessary, part in our line of work. His role as my shadow.  

Child:...As much as I wish I could argue with that….As much as I wish to never seen harm befall him….I….*Sighing* I do understand. I am more a god of life than others at this camp, but nature is not always kind. But for anything to truly thrive, it does need to overcome certain trials, become strong enough that it can last trials of harsh weather and other ravages....

*They look away for a moment, instead, their eyes resting on the boy*

Child:...My love is so often compared to a flower….And in the eyes of many, it may be that they think this is because flowers are weak, easily succumbing to harsh weathers and extreme temperatures….but people often forget that flowers can be enduring as well, that they can be reborn once the trials have passed, adapting, thriving…

Lord Thanatos:….Do you know why the Rosessa flower takes so long to bloom, why it tends to bloom after extreme weather?

*Suddenly, the Child comes to a realisation*

Child:...Ah, I think I understand, now….It’s a cruel lesson, and I may never enjoy the thought of it. I weaker moments, both he and I may resent it….but….if we are to overcome Him, then we must all learn to adapt, to thrive despite adversity….

Lord Thanatos: Exactly. That is why I intend to leave this box in your care. When the right time comes, I would like you to give it to him. Until then…. I shall take my leave. That earring alone should help comfort him.  *Trailing his finger along the boys ear* He’ll be with me soon enough, so I’ll be patient and retire for now.

Child: Ah, I won’t ask what is in the box, if it is for [Boy’s Name]’s eyes only, but….how will I know when the time is right to present it to him?

*Taking the Child’s hand and placing the box in it, Lord Thanatos quietly whispers, bringing ‘life’ to the golden box, then his piercing gaze fixes onto the child’s own eyes.*

Lord Thanatos: I do not have an answer for that. This is a test for the both of you: yours in your own judgment and his in his strength. But, know this: present it too soon and you might just break him, present it too late and ‘it’ might just be the downfall of this side of the war. But that's all the clues i’ll give you. No pressure. *smile*

Child: And….you’d be….fine, if I happened to fail in this and bring about such a downfall? *The Child winces, then rubs a hand over their face* ...No, that is unfair of me to ask. As a god of death, you are someone who will not truly favour anyone. You must remain as neutral as possible in order to complete your job as the ultimate equalizer. That you present a chance at all...Rather than chastise, I should thank you. I can only hope that your faith in my judgement, and in his strength will not be in vain.

Lord Thanatos: *Chuckle* I have faith in the youth I’ve been observing for the past few decades.

Child: *A hint of pink touches their cheeks* Ah….Well then, I certainly must live up to such faith then. *Coughing, they offer Thanatos a smile* I know you must be busy, but….thank you once again. And...thank you, for training him, too. Thank you for caring for him, when I’ve not been able to. If….you ever need something from me in turn, please don’t hesitate to ask, Lord Thanatos.

*Repaying the Child's smile with one of his own, Lord Thanatos bows his head slightly, the lantern-staff changes form slightly at his touch, corresponding to the cloak the boy often wore. Task done, the god returns the Lantern-staff to its place in the corner, to await the boy’s awakening once again and, as silently as he came, Lord Thanatos leaves the grounds, with little to no evidence of his visit remaining, but for his gifts and a new found spark in the partner of his chosen.*

[END]



No comments:

Post a Comment