Tuesday 28 March 2017

Crash Course in War Gods pt 1



--- Main Base, Unknown Location ---

*As the cockerel cries fades into the distance and the snowy owl’s call rings out, the meeting between the gods draws to a close and each party beginning to say their farewells.  The fading light of a lantern leaves the meeting space along with its master.*

Child: Well, thankfully, those plans really did go over well. I think that and your conduct has gone a long way to make a good impression.

Boy: …. Sir! …

Boy [inner thoughts]: I wanna die! I think I should leave! I almost made a complete fool of myself back there in front of high ranking gods as well!  *Blush* And that even happened, too... oh nooooo...

*Giving a long side look to their companion, the Child picks up a little of their inner panic*

Child: Seriously, you don’t need to be too tense. I promise you, I have been working alongside those people since I was sent on this mission. Even if they don’t show it outright, they all had a good impression of you. You treated them with respect, you spoke clearly and explained the aspects of the plan succinctly. You did your duty well. I think the only other way you could make a better impression is by showing your fighting prowess to them directly, but that will come in time.  

Boy: T-tense? whose tense!?!? Eh! Ah….

*In a hushed tone, the boy pulls his hood over himself, trying to hide his reddened cheeks, muttering in a barely audible voice*

Boy: I'm more embarrassed than anything… What you said happened actually happened…. Oh god! I wanna die!!! And you didn't help much!!! You kept grinning, even though you had your fan covering your face, I could feel you grinning. You sadist! You didn't help me at all.

*The boy pouts, pulling his head further down*

Child: If I had helped, it would have made people question what you were saying more. By standing up and doing it yourself, it would make it seem you were here on your own merit, rather than being a spokesperson for your ‘Master’.

--- Flashback ---

Child: *Raising a brow* Are you absolutely sure you want to use the ‘Master’ thing right now? People will certainly talk tomorrow if you can’t say the word without turning red. As adorable as that would be, it will certainly prevent us from rooming together if the others think we’re taking part in questionable play.

--- End Flashback ---

H: ...Ah….Question, but….why are you so red? *placing a hand on the boy’s forehead* You don’t appear to have a fever. It came on far too fast for that

Boy: Ep! Ehhh, I, um, well. I remembered something embarrassing I had done previously. D-don’t worry, I’m not ill. Just... um….

Boy [inner thoughts]: Not exactly a lie, but…

Child: Nothing you need to worry about, H. I’ll make sure that it’s nothing more serious though. After all, it is the Master’s duty to take care of their vassel

H: Well, if you’re sure….If you need anything, don’t hesitate to ask, though! I don’t mind helping out. For now though, I suppose I do have a few duties to attend to, so I’ll be sure to see you both soon.

*With that, H quickly headed off towards some of the other tents*

Boy: Bully! Pervert! Tease! Meany head…! Stupid Master! Not gonna talk to you for a while! HUMF!

Child: Oh, but I didn’t do anything. It’s not my fault that you just happen to have an….interesting mental connection to the word. *Chuckling, they lightly pat the Boy on the shoulder* Teasing aside, here is a little raining for you. You met some of the gods today. I’m interested in your opinions of them, with your current training in mind.

Boy: What do you mean by that, Master? Like their names ‘n’ stuff, or them in particular?

Child: Just your general opinions on them. Though what you know about them in general works. Don’t worry, I’m not asking for all of them. How about…..say…..four of them that stood out the most to you?

Boy: ...Ummm… Well, I guess Cinnamon ro- I mean, Master Horis is nice. His looks and his work mode don't add up, but he was pretty cool to watch in action. Master Ogoun was cool too - don't associate with the African gods much, so I'm interested in him and his fighting style. Oh ‘n then there Mistress Morrigan she...They were pretty cool, too, but it’s the first time I’ve seen them. They didn't talk much this time… kind of felt like they were testing me the way they were firing questions at me one after another haha of n lastly Master Sumiyoshi Sanjin well eh… in short when it was his turn to question me i thought i was going to die! He has such a strong aura!!!!

Child: That’s understandable. Sumiyoshi Sanjin is a god associated with sea warfare. Makes sense that he’s about as overpowering as a tidal wave at times. The Morrigan, well, they do seem to have some measure of foresight in battle, so it makes sense they would do their best to be sure that the battle plans could work. Who knows what they could have been ‘seeing’. But they seemed happy enough with them, so there must be a fairly good outcome. Or at least has the best outcome that they could hope for.

*The Child rubs their chin*

Child: Admittedly, I haven’t really spoken to many African gods, either. But you’re right. Perhaps we should both think to associate more. International cooperation, if nothing else. *Chuckling* As for Horus….Yes, he is certainly an interesting one. But as I thought, you and he could get on well. If everything goes as planned, he might be truly able to help with your own ambition for Mortal-immortal associations as well. Being incarnated as he is, he has more leeway than even myself where mortal interactions are concerned.

*Glancing over curiously, the Child cocks a brow*

Child: Did you know much about any of those four prior to today?

Boy: Admittedly not much, other than they work with you, master. All I know was that they were associated with either war or tactics why?

Child:  Would you like me to supplement what you know, then?

Boy: Yes please, master!!!

Child: Haha, alright. Who shall we start with?

Boy: Ummm, well, Master Sumiyoshi Sanjin, since he’s part of your pantheon. Then Master Horus, since he’s my friend.

Child: Fair enough. Let’s see….

*The child closes their eyes, arms crossed within their sleeves as they considered what they knew of the mentioned gods*

Child: So, Sumiyoshi Sanjin. That is actually a title rather than a name. It’s a title we refer to three gods by. Their names are Sokotsutsu no O no Mikoto, Nakatsutsu no O no Mikoto and Uwatsutsu no O no Mikoto. They, like me, are part of the Shinto Pantheon, and are all gods of sea and sailing. They were all born at the same time, along with Watatsumi during the time that Lord Izanagi came back from Yomi and purified himself. So they are actually decently old for gods. About the same age as my friend, Susanoo.The ‘tsutsu’ part of their names has a connection to the planets, and with the Orion constellation. So, with that in mind, they are also linked to Navigation. So, if you happen to be lost out at sea, they will help.

Boy: That’s so cool!!! Oh, but then, which one was with us today? Or did they fuse? Oh, and what about Horis?

Child: *laughing* Well, I’m sure they’d be glad to hear you say that. We had Sokotsutsu with us today. They made sure to go with various groups to help with, well, Navigation or the sea warfare. But one of them needed to attend to pass on the information to the others after all.

*They closed their eyes again*

Child: Now then, Horus….Similar to myself, Horus has several roles to his name, though he is of the Egyptian Pantheon, rather than that of Shinto. His roles are much more different than mine, however. Horus is known to be god of the kind, the sky, war, hunting and protection. It’s not surprising he is linked to the king - Horus incarnates into every Pharaoh of Egypt. That is why he’s not got an immortal body in the way that, say, we do. But for all his….Ah….’cinnamon-roll’ personality, Horus does actually have some rather interesting past. I don’t know if you noticed his eyes? How one is slightly different from the other? One of those eyes had to be created by Khonsu, the Moon God. His real one got torn out during a battle with the God Set. I’m not entirely sure if he can actually see out of the replacement eye, but it doesn’t appear to bother him. Still, if you ever see the eye symbol, it was originally linked to him due to this. It’s a symbol of protection these days, though some link the symbol to a few other gods as well - Horus doesn’t seem to mind. Ah! Probably best not to mention Set around Horus, though. The Eye issue is just the tip of that iceberg. There is a lot of bad blood there. But if you truly want to see just how cunning he is under that innocent persona, just see the kind of things Horus did during his conflicts with Set.

Boy: No! No, I won’t believe it! Not my cinnamon roll!!! *Poses dramatically* But, really, he sounds frightening at times. I’m just glad he’s my friend, ya know? I kind of just want to see him happy and smiley all the time and I don’t know why...ya know? ‘N I noticed, but I didn't want to mention anything, just incase it was a sensitive topic. But, now I know it is…

Child: Well, his eye itself isn’t a sensitive topic. More talking too much about Set, really. Since the ‘eye’ symbol is literally known as an ‘Eye of Horus’, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t mind others knowing of his eye. Still, you aren’t wrong on the ‘frightening’ thing. After all, if you’re associated with war, it’s rarely for peaceful reasons.

Boy: Hehe! I guess you’re right… but then, what about you? You’re really kind and you never seem to get angry. So…

*They both stop walking, the boy staring deeply in the Child's eyes, searching for an answer.*

Boy: You might be a hero… but you didn't have to say yes to this. Since I know how much this job kills you inside, Master…

*The Child sadly takes a breath, before letting it out again, opening their eyes once more*

Child: There is a saying that I have heard from a mortal, once. That for Evil to win, all it takes is for good men to do nothing. I am known as a protector of warriors, my love. If I were to have declined, then what kind of protector could I truly have called myself in the end? No, despite it all, if I was to be true to myself and my ideals, I needed to do this. Though, it will always be my most solemn wish that the war soon ends. There is so much more that our world has to offer to see it end at their hands.

Boy:.... I…. I understand…

Boy [inner thoughts]: This world is more important, after all. I just wish I could see it with you… Our better world...

[End]

No comments:

Post a Comment