Thursday 9 March 2017

The List






--- Temple Training Grounds, Izumo Region, Japan ---

*Sitting at the edge of one of the training grounds, Agent T has a notepad in front of crossed legs, occasionally eyeing the ‘bracelet’ that had been given to her earlier on that day. After having been told there was a parasite that lived inside it that could only be regulated through certain amounts of mana levels (unless she wants to be drained dry or in pain), she decided to make some notes about it, so as not to forget anything important, and to add her own observations, just in case she was forced to push any of those limits during her training*

*Sitting back, she reads over the notes she has written down so far, nodding*

Agent T: Aaaaand that’s about it then! Probably not finished just yet, but the teacher will have my head if I push anything without supervision. So, I suppose a little practice now to use up a little mana and let you get your lunch is a good idea for now. Let’s go, Boris

*With a cheerful smile, she gets up, dusts off her clothes and heads into the middle of the training ground, leaving her notes on the side so she can practice her targeting abilities while waiting for the teacher to arrive*

*After a short while a familiar frame comes along, grimacing at the notepad in her hand.*

Teacher: T? What the hell is this?

{The notes read}

--- Notes About Parasitic Bracelet. Don’t forget ---

  • Even though its parasitic, it’s still something I have to keep alive, using magic, without accidentally killing myself. So, for symbiosis sake, to remind myself of that, I named it Boris.
  • Remember to feed Boris (it will eat you if you don’t)
  • Remember not to overfeed Boris. (It will eat you if you do)
  • Optimal levels currently seem to be at about mid range, if using magic only a few times a day, or one big meal if forced to use a lot in one go. If no combat or regular training is used, then using tiny amounts over the course of the day seems to stop Boris from getting too hungry.
  • Boris gets cranky when he’s hungry
  • ….Is Boris Male….?
  • If female, should I rename ‘her’ to Borissa?
  • Do parasites that feed on magic have gender?
  • More notes to be added as more information on limits is tested.
  • PS: If you end up reading this, Teacher, then this is my bracelet so if I want to name it I can. :P

Teacher (Inner thought): she’s crazy….. Damn you, old man! Now I see why you pushed her onto me, but, no, this is too much… jeez. I think I’m going to join him…. I’m gonna need a drink after this.

Teacher: Oi, I'm going to tell you this once and only once: it's a parasite, feeding of your life force. It's not funny, nor is it a game…. I don't have time to play around as is. We're on a tight schedule and if you're going to be spouting crap like this, then I'm going to leave, you got that? Your life is in danger so long as you have that ‘pet ’ around you wrist, got me?  

*Stopping what she is doing, T turns around and glares at her*

Agent T: Excuse me, you were the one reading my notes. I never said you could look at them. Listen up, teacher, and pay attention yourself, cause I’m only going to say this once as well. I know that my life is on the line. I’m not an idiot, despite the fact you and the monk seem to be so insistent on believing me to be, because I’m a novice with magic. But the reason I ‘named’ it, that I write that way, is one: to remind myself that Boris can kill me if I don’t regulate my levels - you might have skipped over that bit because you were distracted by Boris’ name. And Two: I’m Pandora. Ever heard of Gallows humour?

*She shakes her head*

Agent T: I’m scared. I’m really, really scared. I don’t want to die, but if I’m going to learn how to do this, if I’m going to be able to meet that tight scedual, and not turn into a nervous wreck, because guess what, I’ve never been in the military. I was a clerk before this, not a feild agent, and I don’t deal well with people acting like I am military - then at least let me find something light about this. Its about keeping up morele, teacher. I can’t just…..pray to a god or something, so I have to find something else to keep me going. Its like how the monk drinks, or how some agents smoke - its how we cope with things. At least a few jokes that shouldn’t be taken too seriouskly are pretty harmless instead of destroying my lungs or liver and killing myself faster, right?

*She looks away*

Agent T: So, can you, maybe, at least consider me someone who isn’t stupid. If I was that dumb, I’d have been killed by Youkai by now. If you can do that and maybe ignore the occasional pun or joke, or...you know, emote something other than disdain for me, then we’ll get things done faster. So, do you want me to learn my levels or not? Cause at least this way, I’m learning without dying. And if I do die, then you can be all smug over my grave. But if this works, don’t mock my coping mechanism. It’ll make for a better student-teacher thing, cause people learn faster when they aren’t treated like dirt. But, if you’re just going to mock me, then this really will be a waste of time for both of us. Time, may I remind you, we don’t have. Capiche?

Teacher: You know… back in the day… when I was still a student here… if i dared talk to my master like that, the repercussions…. Well, let’s just say it wouldn’t have been pretty. It’s the same standard I hold my soldiers to. So keep that in mind.

*She clicks her fingers as a small screen begins to play*

Teacher: I’m sorry, but I’m not the jokie type. Maybe once you mastered mana control, you can start with a pun or so.  But being scared is not an excuse in my class. These eyes can see potential. But it’s up to you to bring it out. If not, go back to the last temple and try again, learn warding magic and healing spells.  As a soldier in the time we’re in now… we'll, war could break out any day. I just want you to be prepared for that.  It’s why I’m here and why he chose me to be your teacher.  So when you master each lesson I set out for you, then you can give me you pest pun. I don't look forward to it, but I’ll try not cringe. Still, I’ll be waiting.

*The screen begins to play the step sequence of today's lesson. T pays attention, but at the same time, inwardly, she certainly wasn’t as calm as she might appear outwardly.*

Agent T [Inner Thoughts]: That’s the problem, I’m not a part of this temple. I’m not here to be trained in the ways of a monk or miko or anything of the sort. And she calls me a soldier, but I’m not, not the way she seems to think I am. I’m not in the army. I’m not even a frontal player. The team is mainly a covert team. And even then, they don’t quite get me either. Those notes were for me only, not for her. That last joke admittedly I did write the teacher's name on, but I didn’t really expect her to look….Right now, no one believes that I’m serious, or that even keeping up my spirits is important….And I get what the teacher is saying. I do, but she still doesn’t understand.

*Taking a breath, she slowly releases it again*

Agent T [Inner Thoughts]: I think, like before, they really don’t believe I can do this at all. But I can! I have to…Fine, then. Note to self - never leave notes anywhere. Don’t emote, don’t breathe wrong in anyone’s presence.

And break lots of things in private when no one’s around.

But I’m going to learn this. I have to. I can’t fail again.

*Saying nothing more at all, she instead watches the screen intently, making extremely to the point notes (at least for now. She certainly wasn’t going to doodle reminders and the likes where the teacher could see. At least not any more)*

Teacher: Now, let’s start easy; watch my movements. Since us humans have such weak presence you’ll be borrowing for those around you… ah, think of it like that show…. Avatar or something? You know the waterbenders? Their movement are fluid and adaptable, yet at the same time, they can stand strong. You’ll need to figure out when to let the energy within you flow and become part of your surroundings, and when to use that of others. It will be the basis of all I have to teach you. Understood?

*Really wanting to make comments about one of her favorite show’s being used, T remembers what she just promised herself and forced her face to remain stony. Instead, she just nods*

Agent T: (unemotionally) Yes sir.

Teacher: …. Once you think you have the sequence down, send for me… I need to talk to Alistair about you program. And the weapon you currently have. I’ll give you more information about that at a later date. Till then.

*With that, she turns and leaves the grounds, heading towards the room Alistair and the monk are in, leaving T to practice*

*For a moment, T does nothing, before rubbing her eyes a little, trying for a weak smile.*

Agent T: *A little shakily to herself* Hey, at least I can….heh….brag to N I got to be a waterbender…..someday….

*Sniffing a little, she goes over her notes again at the sequence of movements she had been given, swallowing.*

Agent T: ….Assuming I don’t just fall on my face first…..Why didn’t I keep up yoga practice……?

*Slapping her cheeks to psyche herself up, she gets up. Pauses a moment, before doing a quick doodle right at the back of the book about the teacher, pulling a dumb face, just to make herself feel better, before scribbling it out and, turning back to the movements page again, begins to follow the sequences*

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment