Thursday 16 March 2017

Love and War pt 2




--- Last Time ---

Boy: Wait for me. It's only a few hours till sunrise. I’ll…. I’ll be by your side from then on. Just wait ‘til then.

*With that the boy turns to leave smiling sadly, before putting on his hood and walking into one of the tents. The Child watches them go*

Child: I’ll wait forever. Always.

*Taking a deep breath, the Child strides towards his own tent. He had some things to do before the next day. Yet despite this, tomorrow couldn’t come soon enough.*

--- Main Camp, Unknown Location ---

*After a brief night’s rest, the troop rises early and takes down camp, with the Child overseeing that everything was packed and all traces of the group would be gone. Assigning one of the group as leader temporarily, the Child makes sure to cover their tracks, that the nature seemed undisturbed using their abilities, before making sure that their own special servants released the illusions that had kept the entire camp hidden from enemy eyes. Inclining their head to the furry creatures, who vanished, the Child quickly catches up to the rest of the troop.*

*The journey to the main camp was fairly long, taking most of a day, but it was thankfully uneventful, the scouts he had assigned catching sight of any trouble before they reached it so they could remain out of sight. Even so, the Child only starts to relax as they finally enter the safety of the main camp. He sighed, relieved, before quickly giving out the last orders of where to deposit the cargo and where the injured should be taken, before taking the many report files that he would need to offer to the other commanders of their missions before glancing over to the one person he had not yet given orders to - the Boy*

Child: I need to give the commanders an update of our mission’s successes. Since you need to meet with them anyway with those strategies, you should come as well. If nothing else, we can let the commanders that are here know to be sure to gather the others, if you’re not yet ready for a large audience?

Boy: ...Yes… Sir.

*The boy straightens his posture and quickly checks inside his satchel, checking to see if its contents still remained*

Boy: I won't lie, I’m slightly shaken since it's my first time doing this. I know it will be different from those hypothetical scenarios I’ve gone over with uncle. But… I, um. Oh, I’m not complaining, but putting my plan into action and having the fate of all these people being weighed on by these documents….  So this is what it’s really like…

*Gripping the strap on his satchel, as if to hide his fear*

Boy: the responsibility, and guilt frightens me.

*Gently, the Child grips the boy’s shoulder and offers a comforting, empathetic smile*

Child: I understand that feeling myself. While some have come to see me as some kind of patron for them, I am not a war god, not truly. *a sorrowful look crosses their face* I am someone who wishes to see life grow, not….*they sigh* Still, this is the current lot that I’ve been given. Still, what you have with you, you truly could save lives. And that is something you should never fear. But know that you are not alone. I will support you, always, and there are many here who will support you as well. We will all work together in this, we can all bare this burden together.

Boy: Yeah, you’re right. I-I’ll try and steady my nerves for now.

*The boy inches closer, but still at a respectful distance, mentally going over the plan in his head as they make their way towards the strategy room.*

Boy: Oh! I must say, this is a lot more fortified than our precious camp, not a flaw in sight. I’m impressed.

Child: *Chuckling* Well, I did say that this is our more permanent base of operations, and there is more than just myself fortifying it. The temporary camp was something guarded by illusions and magic, to keep it hidden, and people away. Here, we have more to help with fortifications as well as just magic. We even have strategists as well who could see any extra flaws that others might have missed. Still, that you feel better about it, it certainly means this camp must be as safe as home. Or as close to it as one can get in war, anyway.

Boy: I understand, but then, wouldn't you be better off building a temporary fortress? You‘ve been here for the majority of your time away from home, surely that would of at least been warmer than the tents and sturdier too? According to the plan we… Ah! You still have a year and a half left to go. So...

Child: Actually, we have had to move our main camp around as well. As the lines of the war move, so must we. Not to mention that even if we made an fortress in the way you’re thinking, the enemy has flyers. They’d still get in. As it is, while it doesn’t seem as though it’s a fortress, there is something here that works just as well. Perhaps I’ll show you afterwards, but there is a barrier here. We have various gods who are specialized in magic to help with that, after all. Though, while it allows us to move if needed, it certainly isn’t as comfortable as a fortress might be….

*They sigh, but shrug*

Child: Comfort seems to often be the first casualty of war, beyond the obvious.

Boy: Still I wish we had a sun god to warm this place up. It's freezing!

*The boy tightens their cloak, trembling slightly, regretting his outfit choices*

Boy: why does the snow have to be so cold? I we can't have comfort can we at least have some heat? Its supposed to be spring and its still snowing.. The hell.

Voice: Ah, I’m afraid that Father is a little busy at the moment, but I’m sure he’ll arrive soon enough.

*As they approach the strategy room, there is a young seeming man who stands before it, having overheard what they were saying. The Child offers a smile to the newcomer, but before anything else can be said, the Boy mutters to the Child in a hushed tone*

Boy: I ask for hot weather, not a hot guy. Whose answering wishes, coz I think they need hearing aids, jeez. But, then again…

New Guy: Huh? Um….I wouldn’t say that. I think I’m a regular temperature to everyone else?

Child: ...And this is why in this case there is no way I could actually be jealous here.

New Guy: ???

Child: Never mind. Anyway, H. You have good timing. There is someone you need to meet. *He quickly offers the Boy’s name to H, and H’s name to the Boy*

H: Hello! It’s nice to see a new face. I hope we’ll work well together.

Boy: Likewise. Oh, if I may ask, what position do you hold here? I’m new to this base, so I want to get to know my fellow soldiers and my superiors.

H: Oh, I’m one of the commanders here. Despite being….mostly mortal, my companions feel that my abilities serve them well here.

Boy: I can feel...oh, maybe I was wrong, but I-I thought you were a god...?

H: I am….It’s a little complicated. Haha. But, well, I incarnate myself, you see. It means that I can actually interact with mortals much more than the average god, and bypasses a few of the laws. I could never stand back and not help my people, you know? Though I suppose it’s not the most efficient way of working. Either way, despite the down sides, I can’t say I’ve ever regretted it.

*The boys eyes fill with awe, and a smile appears on his face*

Boy: That's really admirable! I hope to be like you one day. I want to help my people anyway I can, be it working with them or working for them. Would you mind giving me pointers some time?

*H gives a bright smile, eyes sparkling*

H: Of course! I’d love to help! It’ll be nice to talk to you about it. Hopefully before my next incarnation, of course, though if you remind me about it after then, I’m sure I’d help out then, too.

Boy: S-Sure.

*Grabbing H’s hand with determined eyes and a big grin*

Boy: U-um, let's work hard together so we build a better world. Plus, I may be needing your help sooner than you think - I’m still in training, but I’ll be like you guys soon enough, hehe.

H: I’m sure you’ll be much stronger than myself one day. But I think you’ll get there. Just believe in yourself too! I look forwards to seeing you with the rest of the commanders one day. Oh! Speaking of commanders, you must be wanting to meet them, right? I’ll go gather them up for you two. Be right back!

*H offers one last smile, before darting off. The Child laughs softly*

Child: Ah, I believe you’ve made a new friend. Would you believe that H is actually a war god? Most of us thinks he simply makes the enemy hate the idea of fighting him and they all surrender so they don’t need to make him look sad and disappointed.

Boy: Hehe! I can see why. He is kind of cute, especially when he smiles, huh?

Child: It’s almost impossible to think otherwise. Even the most stern of us can’t bare to see him give the puppy eyes. I’ve even seen Z balk at the idea once. It was hilarious to see him attempt to deny H.

Boy: Pft, can't make you the least bit jealous, can I? That dumb dumb actually tried… I think I can see the other gods giving him hell for that.

Child: If it was anyone else, yes, I’m sure you could make me jealous. You’re someone who could have anyone you wanted, after all. But H…..well, H is everyone’s exception. Besides, H is pretty loyal to his own loved one. Would you believe he is married? I actually felt sorry for his wife. You guessed right about the gods being extremely protective of H. Partly because of his mortality, but mostly because he is just…..hard not to like, I suppose?

Boy: Master, are you not sure that? YOU are the one with many suitors. Literally, remember when we were younger? I had to practically fend them off with a stick! ‘N... wait, what? Married!?!?! What heathen would defile that cinnamon roll!?!?! She must have seduced him!  Dear lord!

*The Boy pretends be disturbed by the though dramatically posing*

Child: *Laughing* And that is exactly the reaction his wife got. It took forever to get that mess cleaned up, because H started tearing up. No one could say no to him after that. It’s a good job he isn’t conceited. As for me, perhaps I did have Suitors, but….

*Making sure they wouldn’t be seen, they gently touch the Boy’s cheek for a moment*

Child: But I only ever had eyes for you.

*Feeling himself turn a faint shade of crimson, the boy looks down*

Boy: Ah, there it is - the smooth talker strikes again, stealing the hearts of million once more. Jeez, let this meeting be short so we can go back to your tent already.

Child: The only heart I want is yours, my dear. Alas, true, this meeting is more important and could take a while. H should be back with the others soon, so we should get settled in the room. It should be warmer than out here, that’s for sure.

*They bow slightly, motioning with an arm towards the entrance.

Child: After you.

Boy: *Mumble* I repeat what I said. But I’ll forgive you. Your gentleman side somehow always wins me over….

*He winks, then sighs playfully*

Boy: I’m doomed, aren't I? You could do anything and get away with it, just coz you smile, hahaha.

*Walking into the tent, the Boy’s eyes grow wide*

Boy: So, this is the real thing, huh?

Child: Yes. This is the real thing. Welcome to the war, my dear.

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment