Tuesday 28 June 2016

Annoying Little Bug

 
???: Hey, Ally, buddy, pal, I have a favour to ask of you.


Alastair: *sorting out papers but looks up*


???: Well, teeeeeechnically it’s a couple of favours. But one of them can wait til you have time *passes over an envelope* You can look at that when you’re all alone and bored stupid, I’m sure. But the main favour really is to do with our codebreaker-turned-field agent.


Alastair: *takes envelope and sighs* Is there an issue with Miss Washington?  


???: I wouldn’t say ‘issue’ exactly While she doesn’t have much experience she seems to pick up on things pretty quickly. If nothing else she’s got imagination. Almost surprised Somnus didn’t snatch her up before we did, heh. But….no, it’s not an issue in the sense something’s wrong with her, but, well, I know I’ll be traveling with her part of the way. But once we reach our destination, we go our separate ways, right? Who exactly will end up accompanying Washington from there? You said something about a team, even if you pretty much outright said they’re practically canon fodder. But you’ve not really said much about it after that. Did they pull out or something?


Alastair: That’s not the case, rather… they were recruited to the other side… It seems that a few agents from Phoenix have been scouting our agents. I couldn’t take any chances, so I disbanded the group. At present I’m in the middle of reforging the new group.


???: Damn….*bites thumb nail* guess she was right after all... I hoped that wasn’t the case, but….Seriously, how on earth is Phoenix getting so many people? Surely there has to be something they’re offering? And I thought you screened these guys? Maybe we need to look at things a bit deeper now. Otherwise we’re going to end up getting ourselves killed. As if dealing with out of control supernatural cases isn’t enough….


Alastair: She? Whom are you referring to?


???: That’s….to do with the other favour. As I said, if you could look it over when you’re bored and alone, that would be great.


Alastair: Very well. You said something about how they’re getting in. How many people do you think are recruited into the agency annually? How many constantly walk these halls…? It’s only been 20 or so years since technology has advanced so well that data and information has been cataloged efficiently. I regret to say that security has been lacking in the past decade *sigh* As many new recruits come in, well, not all of them are properly screened. So like the time when we had the breach, a few ‘bugs’ get through our walls.


???: I’m almost beginning to think that Pandora should take a leaf from a Youkai’s book. A little purge would probably do the organisation some good, if you ask me, but then again, you know my stance on this. Letting dogs run free is just waiting for someone to get bitten, even the hand that feeds them. In the meantime, perhaps we should make sure first and foremost that the science department is on our side. After that, we can have them keep any ‘bugs’ going on a wild goose chance, or even filter through false information to catch Phoenix out. I know there’s a few talented people there Wasn’t there that fairly new CUC guy who often visits them?


On the other hand, if you like, I can have a few….associates….do our own ‘screening’ so to speak?


Alastair: That would be very much appreciated, I’m getting sick of doing things the nice way. But, if I may, ask your ‘Associates’ to do there extermination as discreetly as possible. I’ll tell the remaining agents that they were no longer suitable as agents and their contracts have been terminated.


???: Very terminated, in this case. Heh! Well, I assure you, my associates and I can be very discreet. I’m glad that we can finally do something about them. If our newest team will be coming here, the last thing I want is for them to have to deal with this. I assure you, there’ll be no evidence that any of Pandora or my associates were involved. If they happened to drop off the face of the earth after they ‘leave’, then it’s hardly a fault of ours, after all.


Alastair: *Chuckle* Brilliant. Also, I was wondering, would you be able to lend some ‘men’ to rebuild the new team? We need 15 in total. I want to have a mixed group this time, instead of just mundane creatures…. Humans are too easily influence for my liking, and far too easy killed.


???: You know I’m good for it. I’m sure I can lend that many. Besides, they know not to double cross me. I’ll get them involved as soon as possible. Do you have any specific specialities for the new team to have? Other than being able to play well with others, of course.


Alastair: They need to be durable, mainly. deception: I need them to be able to blend with their environment. We need them to act as ambassadors for the more peaceful missions and adaptable, and above all else they need to be efficient. Do you have any one in mind?


???: A few people. I do have quite a few associates to chose from, after all, but I believe I can have a team set up for you that should meet those specifications. I assume that Washington will end up being one of them? How is she in the idea of working with mystic partners? I know she’s ok with the idea on some level to be working with us, but I’m afraid that you’d know more about her, considering her time in CUC under your good self.


Alastair: Most of the CUC is comprised of both human and mystic beings, so that shouldn’t be an issue. But the jump in environment may be. So, ask the team’s leader to keep an eye on her, just to make sure she adjust easily.


???: Sure. Gotta look out for William’s ‘bumpkin’ anyway. I did give my word, after all.


Alastair: *Chuckle* So how was you talk with Miss Williams? Did you manage to change her mind?


???: Well, that’s all part of the other favour too, dear. But I’m afraid it’s unlikely she’ll be back here, at least for a little while.


Alastair: I had hoped… *Begins to open envelope, takes out a note* A letter from Miss Williams?


***Nadia’s letter***


Hi, Alastair, if this letter made its way back to you, then I’m on my way to my old partner. I think he’s alive and Phoenix is using him. He might be brainwashed or something, I really don’t know, but I’m going to find out. T’s communicator should map out the hotspots that you need to target. I’ll update it when I can and leave a breadcrumb trail for you guys.


So, yeah, I’m going to become a double agent for a while, no backup, betrayal and all on the chance to find my old partner… Pretty foolish, right? I don’t imagine I’ll be coming back from this. As a matter of fact, if ‘he’ is willingly on their side, count deicide to that list.


I’m sorry I couldn’t be more help to you, but I’ll do what I can from this side.


P.S. Don’t tell T. She’s going to have enough of a time worrying about the mission, she doesn’t need me to add onto that. Anyway, that’s all for now. Bye


???: Well, I suppose you can see why I wanted only you to see the other favour?


Alastair:.... How foolish….


???: Foolish or not, unfortunately it might also be useful to us. I don’t mean to sound cruel or callous, but if we can, even for a short time help to disable the movements behind Phoenix, or even gain some more information, then it might at least help us to even up our footing with them We really can’t keep affording to be one step behind them until the entire place falls down around our ears. Besides, you know what N is like. She’s pretty stubborn herself, if you think about it. She’s going to feel that this is her responsibility, considering how ‘he’ was to her.


Alastair: Her sense of responsibility is the issue; she felt responsible for the death of her teammates and her partner. I knew she found out that there was a chance ‘he’ was still alive and she became obsessed. Her ‘work load’ and ‘late nights’ were ruses to avoid questions of her extra research. I have a feeling that she’s not going to make it back… or at least not as we’ve left her.


???: We couldn’t have stopped her even if we wanted to. She would have done it either way. What could we have done, hogtied her up and left her in the dungeons? Se would have gone mad. Even if it’s hard, even if she may die or be..changed, we couldn’t have prevented this. We did what we could. For now, we’ll have to trust her. But I think it’ll be in everyone’s best interest if we say nothing to anyone else about it. Not even the little Madam. If even one tiny thing slips up or is overheard by the wrong person, it’ll be game over. *Takes back the letter back and pulls out a lighter, setting it on fire*


Alastair: You’re right, *sigh* but at this rate, Pandora will soon fall…. And when that happens, what will there be for the world’s last hope?


???: It’s for the sake of that last hope that this tipbit of information can’t get out yet. If she is found out, then there will be no way of getting inside information on Phoenix in order to prevent them from practically taking us over from the inside. If they do that, well…..that ‘last hope’ really will be gone. Besides, it’s not like this is the only move we have in mind. We’ll get through this, even if I have to go and tear down Phoenix myself. I’m sure roasted chicken would certainly help anyone’s mood.


Alastair: *Pft, whispers* You’re right, as always. Then let us begin the extermination; there seems to be a bug behind the door.


???: *Cracks knuckles with a grin* This should be fun.


*??? Doesn’t bother to open the door, but instead draws a blade and shoves it straight through. There’s a choked sound from the other side. Smiling, ??? opens the door to find the person on the other side trying to pull himself out of the blade that is jutting through him at an angle.*


???: So then…..should I just finish him…..or extract some information. It’s hard to get rid of that smell of burned fowl, wouldn’t you say?


Phoenix Agent: I’ll… kill you... all… *coughing up blood*


Alastair: *Dark look in his eyes* An annoying little bug, buzzing around my precious Pandora, annoying my mistress, making me work twice as hard to clean my precious Pandora of your presence… If you would kindly, ???, close the door and lets see what information we can get out of this little nat.


???: *Dark smirk* Gladly. *Yanks Phoenix Agent roughly from the sword point, pulling him inside and closes the door behind him *we’ll be sure to have a lot of quality time together.


*Door clicks shut*

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment