Wednesday 15 June 2016

When Shit Hits the Fan

 
 
*Sitting at the stall. The room is completely silent*


Tara: …...Um…..So……


Nadia: If you want to say something, then just say it.


Tara: Well, you have to admit, it’s kind of difficult to say much of anything when, you know….you still haven’t told me if you hate me or not. I mean, I’d understand if you do…..but it’s just….you know….I’d just like to know where I stand and everything before I….Um….get sent out...and stuff…


Nadia: You’re still going on about that shit?! Yes, I’d hate you if you died. I’d hate you if you got hurt. I’d hate to lose another partner!!! Why can you just get that it’s far too dangerous out there? You don’t know what it’s like out there, on the front like *snap fingers* just like that, your life can easily be taken away. We’re human - frail creatures that get sick, we’re easily hurt and we’re far too easy to kill. *huff huff*  That’s why I don’t want you out there... that’s why…..


Tara: Well, I mean...I know about human frailty and stuff….I mean, I might not look it, but I did do some medical training, even if I was primarily CUC before I got into being an actual agent. So I’m not going out there cluelessly. But at the same time…. *puts hands on Nadia’s shoulders* You know that I won't take stupid chances. I like living, you know? And if I died out there, who would torment your life with stupid puns and silly jokes? I’ll be careful. I have too much to stay alive for after all. And I already promised myself that I wouldn’t let you go through that kind of stuff again. You know how stubborn I can be, right?


Nadia: You’re a fool if you think it’s as simple as that! Have you even looked at that case properly? You know what, forget it! I’m done here


*Door swings open, standing in the doorway*


???: Yo!


Nadia: MOVE!


*Nadia storms off*


???: Did I miss something?


Tara: Oh…..it’s you….I….thought you were….you know, on that mission?


???: I was... but then the mission was abandoned, so I came back for a little bit. So, why is N in that mood, may I ask?



*Explains situation*


???: Ah... Now I see. So she’s worried for you, and you’re not going to back down from doing this.  


Tara: Well, if I was going to back down on it, I wouldn’t have taken up the mission in the first place, would I? I already know it’s dangerous, with a low success rate, but would it kill someone to at least trust me a little? That I’m not doing it out of some ridiculous thing like pride or something? Sure, maybe I’m not as experienced as some people Maybe I’m not the best, or brightest, or fastest...but, it’d be nice if….at least one person would be able to trust me….


???:  *Chuckle* If no one trusted you, Alastair wouldn’t have selected you both for the case. The issue doesn’t seem to lie with you. It seems that your partner is at fault, here. Still, it’s understandable - no one wants to see their loved ones die in front of them like that. No wonder….Still, I’ll see what I can do about N. Until then, it’s best not to bring ‘it’ up again, at least until your departure date. Anyway, I should see if I can’t find Little Miss Grump-a-lot. Ta ta for now. :3


Tara: Yeah….sure….I guess I already found out what I wanted to know, anyway.


???: Keep your head up. She merely has a severe case of ‘mother hen syndrome’. It’ll pass. Anyway, I have places to be. Later!


*Enters Black Betty’s Bar*


Nadia: Oi, Roxi! Another Jami Daniel’s: make it strong!!!


???: And a martini for me. Shaken, not stirred


Nadia: Who the fuck are you, James Bond?


???: No, I’m just not that high class. *winking, pulling out a fan to wave lazily* buuuuuut, my taste in drinks aside, there is something I would like to discuss.


Nadia: If you’re going to fire me, do it now. I’m going to resign soon, anyway *Sigh*


???: And what gives you that idea? Unless, of course, abandoning team mates is now something you have taken to doing these past few years. I hadn’t thought that you could stoop to those kinds of morals, but hey, what would I know about it, other than...you know….the fact that you are projecting your issues on someone who you’re essentially giving up for dead while they still breathe.


Nadia: Fuck you! You don’t know anything!!!! It’s my fault he’s gone! My misjudgment led to his death and you want me to take over a team pick up where we left off?! And you wanna throw my new partner out in the depths of hell, just to play the expendable cog in your machine… You guys didn’t even let me mourn him… You should have let me go… let me die with the rest of them, instead of finding another bumpkin to take his place… ‘n his dumb, goofy smile…..


???: Hmmm….I don’t believe at any point I mentioned anything about ‘taking over’ anything. And dying? Didn’t you say so yourself? Dying is so easy. No real effort involved. One wrong move and *clicks fingers* you’re gone. Isn’t that what you told T? Dying…..that’s far too much of a cowardly thought, but...that isn’t what I’m wanting to talk to you about. What you do with your measly life is your own business. No, what I asked you about was why you were giving up someone for dead when they are still alive, fit and able?  *Tapping the bar with fingers.* It has me wondering….just what it is that motives you here? Is it lack of trust in your ‘bumpkin’ partner? Or is it simply because you think that, if you just pull away now, you can keep your hands clean while someone who loves you very much goes out on a mission alone, so that you don’t feel the guilt that, if that person dies, or is hurt, they were doing it for your sake, so that you wouldn’t have to go on the field again?


Nadia: Don’t saddle me with that burden, you bastard! I don’t expect someone like you to get it. How many people have you seen die up ‘til now? How numb have you become at this point? I don’t want to see someone I love get hurt… not again. I can’t be trusted with the someone else's life - not after the Red war. That night taught me that. Every time I close my eyes, I can still see it. My men dead at my feet. Him there pushing me to the ground, shielding me while we’re slaughtered one by one and the light from his eyes slowly fading while he smiled one last time. May you… Maybe you don’t get it or maybe you do. But… I... *fighting back tears* I never want to go through that again. It’s something I wouldn’t have wished that on my enemies. And now you’re throwing my new partner out there! Why? Tell me why?


???: *Sigh* this is why I hate humanity as a species, sometimes. Believe me, if you weren’t drunk, for most of those comments, I would certainly have put you out of your misery. However….I can be civil. At least I know when, where and to whom blame should be placed. Currently, you are just lashing out at everyone, trying to find something to take away the pain. You believe, in this Organization, that you, alone, have lost people? That you, alone, have made the wrong decisions? That you, alone, are the only person capable of hurting so deep in your soul that you wonder why it is it hasn’t broken from the strain? However, I will be merciful. I won’t….harm you for the comments. *hand tightening around the fan* As much as I would really, truly desire to.  Still, I believe that you only take one person into account here. And you, again, also misread my intention. Once again: When Did. I. Ever. Ask. For. You. To. Take. Command?


Nadia: …. So what DO you want from me…? I’m a broken soldier and even if YOU don’t want me to take command, THEY do. ???, I have no more strength to fight, ‘n I’m frightened. I have no more courage to stand tall again, to protect the people I love and to stand by them… not any more... *tears roll* I don’t know who… what I am anymore. A soldier? An agent a…


???: You are human. That is what you are. As for what you may want to be….you have already told Alastair that you don’t wish to lead. That is fine. It is your decision. However, all I ask is that, perhaps, you might at least want to show a little faith in your partner. That is all. After all, don’t you think that, if nothing else, that is something you at least owe them? If she lives, she lives. If she dies, she dies. It is all Karma either way. But don’t you think that, maybe, just having the thought that there is someone out here, who trusts them, who waits for them, might just be the one small thing between dying, and living o fight for another day? Still, it is up to you in the end. The only one who can decide what you will do, is you.


Nadia:.. Remind me not to call you when my dog dies… with your unsympathetic ass….But I guess you’re right. Give her this. *hands ??? a box* and here’s my ID card and my gun. Tell her I do believe in her, but I just can’t... I’m sorry. Bye.


???: Well, I certainly hope you don’t call me if your dog dies. Unlike you and T, I….dislike dogs. However, I’ll give it to her. I’ll tell her, though it might sound more sincere coming from you, considering I’m such a *ahem* ‘Unsympathetic Ass’. *takes the items* Though, before you leave, just know that if you find your way again, you find out just who and what you want to be, then we’ll be waiting. Let’s just hope that she’ll be waiting too, shall we?


Nadia: She’ll be fine. Bumpkins always find their way home. *Sad smile* See you round, ???


*Nadia leaves and a man sits down*


Alastair: Well, that went well.


???: Perhaps. We’ll have to see just what the future holds. Though, I hope you don’t mind if I go find a few things to kill now. I’m not…..happy….with certain...aspects of that….discussion.


Alastair: Oh? Did she ruffle your feathers there?


???: Hah, me? I’m the unfeeling, unsympathetic ass who has never lost anyone before, remember?


Alastair: I’ll take that as a yes. Haha, you’re slipping, O Great Lord ??? - Remember: the human mind is a frail thing, the heart even frailer, that’s the reason why they’re so corruptible. A broken soldier that has no will or strength to fight.. now that line brings me back… He was thinking the same thing, back then. So, what do you suppose we prescribe to a person like that?


???: Ask me that when I’ve finished killing things. But, like I said, give it time. I have a feeling things will work out. And if it doesn’t, well….that’s not for me to decide in the end, is it?


Alastair: *Sips his scotch* You never did like things like this, did you? That’s why I’m alway picking up the pieces *sigh*


???: Isn’t that your job? Besides, what makes you think that I’m not just as broken as the rest of them? Anyway, like I said, it’s up to two things now: Their own human will, frail and unstable as it might be, and up to their own fate. It’ll be interesting to see just how it plays out. Let’s hope for a happy ending, shall we? Even if it might be only a fairy tale. *down’s drink, before smirking* Still….considering who we are, a fairy tale might not be quite as impossible as it may seem, hm? Heh….well, I have things to do, monsters to kill, you know the drill. Later. *leaves*


Alastair: *Chuckle* You’re right. So very right. *puls out cigar* isn’t that right, My Lady?


[End]


No comments:

Post a Comment