Thursday 1 February 2018

Tell Me A Fable: My Story Pt 7


Venus: I’ll stick with the Pup. He’s going to need someone by him…. Want me to tell him anything before I go?

Inari: Tell him….tell him ‘Don’t give up, because I haven’t yet.’ I’ve got work to do to get there, but…More than anything, I don’t want Rozyus to feel despair. And….tell him I love him.

Venus: Ok… then I’ll be off.

Inari: Thank you. And…I’m sorry I’ve set things off early. But I promise...I won’t fail.

----

*A few weeks had passed since the fateful day that resulted in Rozyus being dragged from Parame’s temple by his father. Since then, it seemed that Iyome was as good as his word - Rozyus had not been permitted to go to the temple, or anywhere that the Inari might have access to. In fact, Rozyus had not even been allowed out of his room, locked inside. The only times it was opened was when food needed to be delivered to him, or someone was helping to deal with any clothing that needed to be washed. Beyond that, Rozyus was left to his solitude.

Rozyus [Inner thought]: How long must I say here…? How long will this man bind me to these four walls painted in its archaic design? Alone in this silence, it's maddening, these boorish statues loom over me, judging my every move like I’m some priced stock they must obtain… It's maddening! My voice hurts, screaming reason to deaf ears… my strength is gone, my hand raw from pounding at this decadent beast of a door. My only glimpse at the world is a small crack though this window that lets in a flicker of real light. Like my faith...this juvenile faith, is waning.

*The boy, getting up from his seat at the edge of the window, dragged his feet back the the bed, the sound of his hills echoed like metal on concrete. There was a tightness in his breath made it head to breathe as he gasped, tears that he had held back until now had reached there limit, overflowing as he crashed onto the bed, the echoes of weeks prior returning to him.*

---Flashback---

Iyome: We’re done here. You obviously can’t be trusted to keep your minds on what’s most important. We’re leaving. Don’t expect to come back any time soon!

*With that, ignoring any weak protest from Inari, he began to march towards the exit, dragging Rozyus behind*

Rozyus: No! Papa don't take me away from him! No...NO!!!

---

*Even though they had finally left the temple and the stunned deities, Iyome didn’t let go of his squirming son, ignoring all of the boy’s protests. If he were to let go, the boy would likely try his best to get back to Inari. Enough damage had been done to centuries of planning without the boy making more of a scene now they had entered Clan territory. Even this much was making a show to any of the clansmen as they passed, since Rozyus was persisting to protest and act like a child. It was obvious that he was not going to be acting as his position in the clan dictated he should.

Iyome was not going to allow any more shame to be brought on them before he could get his son’s head straight. If he could do that there was a possibility he could also convince his idiotic student to reverse what they had done in some attempt to salvage the situation, but that couldn’t be done if Rozyus continued to act in such a ridiculously clingy manner.

Thus, firstly remove each other from their influences. First task done. Now he just needed to keep them away from each other until their heads overrode whatever spontaneous idiocy their hearts thought they should have done.

Ignoring the whispering of the increasingly concerned and scandalised fellows, Iyome pulled his son all the way to Rozyus’ bedroom and had to half throw him inside before Rozyus started clinging to the door frames. While the boy tried to scramble off the bed where he had been thrown (Iyome was angry but not enough to damage the boy irreparable) slamming the door behind him and turned the lock, preventing his escape. That done, Iyome turned back to the boy, looming over him with a stirn expression, barely holding back his anger at his son’s stupidity*

Rozyus: Papa, why are you acting like this?! You hurt him…. You hurt him….! You didn't even let us spe-

Iyome: Do you even have any idea the ramifications of what you both have done? I doubt that you do. If you did, not only would you have never done this in the first place, but you would understand exactly why I acted as I did. How could you be so foolish?!

Rozyus: *Glairing* YOU OF ALL PEOPLE HAVE NO ROOM TO TALK! When you’re the one who wed a woman who was not part of your clan! When you’re the one who had a child that was not a pure breed! Shouldn't you be the one as Clan Head man be advocating the diversity of lovers and children?! Shouldn't I, as your child, have that right?! Aren’t we the ones who should lead by example?! But no! Instead, from the day Mother let me out of her womb, you’ve been forcing your views down my neck, forcing me to live like a sacrificial lamb, a pain that is used to ‘Fix’ your sins! Well I'm not your puppet! I’m not you and I will love and be with whomever I see fit!!!

*Though labored breaths, the boy pressed on*

You know, he’s a good man. He's strong and capable…. He makes my dark world that little bit brighter… Can't you see that Papa…? Why do you want to send me back into the darkness again…when I finally was able to grasp the light?

Iyome: It is because of what I did that you cannot just do as you like. Because of my mistakes, this clan has been treading on thin ice. Even amongst others of the mystic world, our clan was deemed as weak or tainted because I apparently could not love one from within it. Because I bedded your mother, the clan is divided by differing opinions and looking for the smallest of errors in order to tear us apart at the seams. What I’m trying to do is keep the clan united, the way it has not since my greatest mistake. Should the resentment continue, not only would we have a civil war on our hands but other clans would move in while we are weakened to pullage what they can and drive us to extinction! What either of us truly want - those things will never be something we can have just because we want it. Because I followed my heart and not my head I doomed us all and I’m working to fix what I broke. I’m trying to prevent you from doing the same!

Rozyus: Why must I be the one to fix your mistakes?! Can't you see, you’re using me as a scapegoat! Why can't you find another way to solve this? Why can't you reform bonds by having a second wife, as clearly both my existence and Mother’s presence as your WIFE is such a hindrance to you!? Correct your mistake by renouncing my legitimacy and your so called ‘love’ - it was a mistake after all, wasn't it? Well now's your chance to fix it!

You’re a handsome wolf - I doubt there aren't a shortage of bitches to bait your bastards.

Iyome: The mere fact that I chose a goddess before all others is the point. Not to mention that I am not using you as a scapegoat. What I’m trying to do is prevent you from also making mistakes that could jeopardise your very existence! The fact that you are of mixed blood already rankles at people.

But there are tales of what happens to mixed bloods who become involved with gods. Almost ever known case in the past has ended poorly for both the god and the mixed blood child! And not in an outcast way, but ending in utter tragedy! I’m trying to protect you from that! I’m trying to give you a place within this clan as well! If it were as easy as just taking another wife or merely ‘talking’ about it, don’t you think I would have done it already?! Ever since your birth I have done everything in my power, sacrificed everything I could to protect this clan. Don’t you dare act as if you are the victim here when you trying to throw yourself into oblivion due to utter folly!

Rozyus: How dare you! One: how am I not a fucking scapegoat for you,?! I’m a fucking political pawn you need to marry off to protect this fucking clan!  You're clan, not mine! Two: don’t you think we know the repercussions!?! Form the moment we’re able to comprehend our own existence, my kin have been told the stories. Yet I can't help falling in love with a man who just so happens to be a pure blooded divine being. Like you allegedly did…. To tell me that our love and actions are ‘due to utter folly’ is not only insulting to my love… but your own…. Its hypocritical!

And it’s because I have no place to be accepted that I wish to cleave one, for me and him and other like us! We plan on making this world a better one, and it’s the old dogs like you, father, that are holding us back! You’re so stuck in your ways that you forgotten about how the new generation has the power to change the world. You can’t look in front of you because you’re always looking back. Planning for the worst without even looking for the best….  

And you don't even get how your actions are proving to do the opposite of your intentions! The reason why this clan is failing is because of you…. The people are upset and instead of listening to them you're doing a patch work job! This clan needs to be broken and reforged. It’s the only way to heal cant you see that? …. Papa.

*For a moment, Iyome is silent, but from the expression on his face, it was difficult to say if the words were getting through to him or not. Finally, however, any hope that it might have was torn away as the man merely pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration, eyes closed as he took a deep breath*

Iyome: It would seem that you’re so fixated on this pipe-dream that you will not listen to reason. If I didn’t know any better that this is just the stupidity of youth then I’d have assumed the two of you to be bewitched. Very well then. If you won’t see reason now, that is fine. But until you can see the error of your ways, you will not be leaving this clan. In fact, you will remain in this room until you can grow up and see that not everything can be fixed by just making merry and singing a little song about changing the world.

Rozyus: PAPA! Y-

*However, Iyome did not look back. Pausing only to unlock the door he was outside the room a moment later, the scraping of keys in the lock was almost like nails scratching in the wood of a coffin. Awash with cold dread, Rozyus knew that he had been locked inside, hot tears straked the boys face, beating the door and bruising his hands*

Rozyus: Damn this old man!!!!

*With a yell of anger, Rozyus punched the door, which, predictably, did nothing but cause his hands to hurt even more, and stormed back to the bed, flopping on the sheets, seething with anger and trying to ignore the welling despair that seemed to be trying to claw its way out of his throat. He knew his father was stubborn, but to go this far, to literally harm his own student, to lock Rozyus away in his room as if he were some criminal and this a gilded cage...And even so, he wouldn’t even listen to them! They hadn’t made their decision lightly, they had thought things through, how they could change the world. Maybe it wouldn’t be an instant easy fix as Iyome seemed to be trying for, but they would be helping everyone to move to a better future. If they didn’t, they would merely become stagnant in an effort to preserve what they thought of as perfection and many people would suffer for it in the long run. Why couldn’t he see that?

Grabbing one of his pillows, he bit down on it as he screamed in frustration, trying to hide the tears welling up in his eyes*

Voice: Well well, this does seem to be quite the mess…

*Breath hitching at the sound of a familiar voice, Rozyus launched up from the pillow and whipped around, eyes wide as the materialising form of the goddess Venus solidified in the room, standing there looking for all the world as if she had merely walked casually through the door*

Venus: Then again, with how he acted in Mother’s room, I’m surprised he didn’t do more damage. Obviously he took out enough on little Inari and had the rest calmed enough by Mother that he decided to resort to words instead of fists.

*Her expression, while as poised and beautiful as ever, had at least an edge of sympathy to it*

Venus: I do hope you are unharmed, boy.

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment