Thursday 15 February 2018

I'm Thinking About You Pt 3



Huxian: Agents, we have our mission.

*Looking around at the various agents in the meeting room, Huxian is pleased to see that he had their undivided attention. He doubted he would be in the mood to deal with difficult people today without smacking them into a wall if they were being morons. Picking up a laser pointer, he gestures to the board that shows a map of Beijing and some of the surrounding area*

Huxian: As you’re no doubt aware unless you somehow missed the memo, we’re currently dealing with a hoard of Jiangshi that are making their way towards the city as we speak. We’ve sent scouts out to confirm their numbers.

*He turns his gaze on one of the agents in the front*

Huxian: You were in charge of that, right? Findings? I need total numbers and types we’re dealing with.

Agent 1: We weren't able to get an exact number, but we estimate between 2-3 hundred. They seem to be in the White and Black variety, so they should be easy enough to deal with - it’s just their growing number that's the issue.

Agent 2:  We can exterminate them all we want but if we don't find the ‘conjurer’, we’d long exhausted ourselves before we have dealt with the walking dead.

Huxian: We’re likely dealing with someone using Taoist incantations...however, its unknown if they’re affiliated with any particular group. This day and age it could even just be someone who picked up the technique somehow and decided to play around. What’s worse is we have no idea if this was done through malicious intent or simply a case of someone who wanted to see if it worked. It could even have been someone with delusions of a real life ‘game’. But whoever is behind it or whatever reason, they can’t be permitted to continue. The sentence for this will be severe if it was ‘accidental’ or someone who has no idea what they’re doing, but if this is a rogue conjurer….Pandora’ll be on them like lightning. Assuming they’re worth keeping alive.

*Shaking his head in disgust at the stupidity, he put the thoughts aside to look at the agent who had brought it up in the first place.*

Huxian: From what our intelligence says, they’ve not all spring from one area, so we can’t back track on their physical movements, but it’s possible if we can find a trace of the energy that reanimated them we could follow it back to the conjurer. Though if this has been pre planned over a period of time it might be difficult. Any suggestions on tracking this guy down?

Agent 4: It might take a while, but I could look into what changed in the last few hundred years - what changed then and now. To be honest, this is too large a scale to be a simple ‘experiment’. If it were in one or two cases, sure, but there's a pattern here…somewhere. I just can't put my finger on it….

Agent 3: True. I was talking to some of the mystic foke around here. They did say something about a cult kids were recruited into…. I initial dismissed it as one of those human things, but… now that I think about it-

Agent 1: Wait, you’re going into conspiracy theory here. You’ll need evidence before we jump into anything like that. It may just be a dead end.

Agent 3: True, but if I’m right about this then it might just lead to us finding the conjuror.  

Huxian: Evidence is only evidence if its confirmed true and to do that, one must investigate every lead. Even rumours have some base in fact. See what you can discover about this, but don’t engage for now. We need to be certain. If it’s the source of all this then we’ll take them down. How many will you need to help confirm your findings?

Agent 3: For the city… fifty or so. For the whole of China…a small army. We may have to call Pandora in for this - it’s bigger than just the five of us can handle, that much is clear.

Huxian: Not necessarily so - I’ll send a message to my people and see if they can lend us a hand for now - it’ll be difficult to get those numbers here from Pandora at short notice. But forward the request to Padora. By the time we’ve dealt with the immediate danger, we should have the numbers here to take out the source while we pick off any more strays. If we at least have the bulk dealt with it should make it a little easier to pick up traces of our conjuror attempting to rebuild their little army. It’s not entirely ideal, but we can’t ignore our current infestation, especially with civilians involved. Speaking of...

*He nodded to one of the agents*

Huxian: How are the updates on the evacuations to the save zones?

Agent 2: We’ve selected various places around the city, similar places have been implemented around local provinces’s as well, but their effectiveness is another matter. And saying that I believe we need to have a plan for if the our little puppeteer(s) would be hiding amongst the public what then?

Huxian: Then I suppose that they should be our first ‘check’ point. If nothing else my people could sniff out a would be necromancer - can’t hide the scent of ‘undead’. But in the meantime they obviously planned something with these if we’re going on the assumption of it being an organised event. If anything, this would be a distraction. If they were to hide amongst the people, then they’d attempt to slip away to fulfil whatever they’re after. Either way, I’ll at least see to it that there’s someone keeping an eye out on the safe zones, or we could station familiars. Otherwise, we could always do a little conjuring ourselves.

Agent 4: I’ll be happy to aid that task, but I’ll need to know what I’m upagenst, I’ll visit local spiritualist to see what they can offer, though may i be permitted totoake a few men with me, inkase the worst happens…

Huxian: Granted. No one is to take any stupid chances if they can help it. I want all of you out of this alive. If you dont I’m going to get this necromancer to bring you back so I can kill you again. Clear?

Agents: *Awkward nervous laughter* Yes Sir.

----

*After formulating a few last minute plans, they seperated in order to begin their jobs. Huxian retreated back to his room, thankful that the spirit had kept to his word and stayed away for now. Using the time he had, he made a drink before settling down to write correspondence to his people so they would have the extra forces needed. They would need at least the basics of what was going on in order for his second in command to send the appropriate people, but he was pretty confident that they’d be perfectly capable in helping them out until they had the professionals at their sides.

He was just sitting back in his seat, re-reading over the message for a moment before nodding, satisfied that his people wouldn’t find anything off about his note - one of his right hand men was such a stickler for correct high class writings even in emergency notes, to Huxian’s exasperation - before setting it aside to send off once their messenger was free in an hour or so. In the meantime, he recalled how he had been messaging Rodessa earlier.

Determined not to link on what the spector had said before, but not about to seem rude, Huxian pulled out his communicator and formed a message

Text: Hey Rose bud! Thanks for the suggestion earlier. It left a big impression. If being Miss Pouvell’s sidekick doesn’t work out for you, how’d you like to be my personal stylist? With your help I’d probably get half the world on my side just by turning up.

*For a good few moment Huxian stared at his phone absent for a reply, a few moment more a finally a familiar melody caller tone graced his ears. Quickly, he snatched up the phone, mentally betting on what kind of reply he might get with a grin*

Huxian: Hey Bud-dy. Suuup?

Rodessa: *Monotone* Fluff ball, that was terrible ‘n you should feel bad. Boo~

Huxian: And yet its so easy to do it! That’s what you get for the flower name, dear. Still, puns aside, you rang?

Rodessa: Hold on, let me put you on video call. Makes it easier for me.

*Sound of rustling, then a live feed of Rodessa, in spring with barely a towel for modesty.*

Rodessa: I was. I wanna talk hands free. I’d rather not die of electric shock before I have a chance to max out you account- oh, I mean go shopping with you. Slip of the tongue there. *Meaningful smile*

Huxian: Sure it was….Minx. You should be illegal around money. If we’re not careful, who knows who you’ll bankrupt next?

Rodessa: *Chuckle* Well I know who to target. It’s not like you couldn't make it back within a twenty four hours, ha, rich boy?

Huxian: But it’s a hassle…Besides, its not like you’re dirt poor. If you’re not careful, I’ll end up skimping on your souvenir. You might want to be a little nicer to me.

Rodessa: *Coy look* I am being nice. I’m giving you a show. Besides, you skipping out an offering means death, pretty boy. Remember that.

Huxian: You have to catch me first, hun *sly grin* You still struggle to do that when I’m reeeeeeally trying.

Rodessa: Well, I know how to distract you. I’ll just lay out a few golden apple traps for you and do what I do best. There, problem solved.

Huxian: You do know I only fall for those if I mean to do so. Anyway, Banter aside, do I need to go into hiding or did you just call to check up?

Rodessa: HUMF! Am I not allowed to call MY partner? Never mind then, I’ll just hang up.

*Rodessa gets up with a splash, but Huxian rolled his eyes*

Huxian: Don’t get your not currently worn panties in a twist. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something terrible happening. I’m allowed to worry about my partner, am I not? But if its a social call, then no worries. I have a bit more time before I have to get back to work. You might as well at least stay warm in the tub in the meantime.

Rodessa: *Pout* Whatever...

Huxian: You make it sound like talking to me is a chore. How cruel….

Rodessa: You’re the one who-!!!... Nevermind…. ‘Doesn't matter…. You’re far away doing your own thing. I don't want to fight when we’re this far apart…

Huxian:....You sure you’re ok? Seriously, I just wanted to be sure it wasn’t anything serious. I didn’t want to play beat around the bush and then have to cut off when you work up to telling me, you know? But if its a social call, its fine. I can just thank you for the fashion tips by voice instead of text.

Rodessa: It’s fine… ‘n I’m fine…. Nothing wrong at all….*Sigh* Don't worry about me, I'm fine… I just wanted to hear your voice, is all. I think I’m gonna get out now. So I’ll talk to you later… bye.

Huxian: Ro-

*Unfortunately, she hung up before he could say anything. Huffing, He sat back in his seat before he glanced at his phone again. A moment later, he took a quick picture, before sending it with an attached message*

Text: You might not wanna talk about it now. That’s fine, but remember, even if I’m an ass sometimes, I’m here to talk. Chin up, I’ve got your back, promise. Just no shooting at me when I sneak cuddle you when we meet again, kay ;P

*Hoping it would at least help out whatever inward struggle Rodessa was having (maybe Violet was pushing a little too hard on the manners front? It was a bit early for the full introduction to the mystic world yet, after all - he’d ask about it later from the Pouvell herself once this job was a little less worrying) Huxian turned his attention back to his tea, considering the next course of action on his end, considering he was one of the forerunners in the Jiangshi destruction team, trying to ignore his niggling worries. As it was, something else caught his attention, making him sit up, tea practically forgotten as his eyes narrowed.

Huxian:....What was that….?

*Shoving the tea to the side, he stood, eyes closed to get a better grasp on the odd coldness he had been feeling. No, it was less coldness and more an absence of something that should be there. It was as if something was being sucked away. Life energy?

Huxian: Don’t tell me they already got in!

*Darting out of the room, he stretched his senses as best he could to find the source of the drainage. There seemed like there was something trying to combat the drain, but they were likely not strong enough to do it for long. Thankfully, if they had got on, it was a small number of Jiangshi. He could take them on himself. Either way, he didn’t have time to grab the others when they were already busy enough with their assignments and that small presence fighting back didn’t have long. His fire would purge what the presence couldn’t.*

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment