Thursday 8 June 2017

Sweet Child Pt 6

--- Last time ---

Parame: …. I suppose you’re right…. But I don’t think I can talk to them right now. If I know those two, they’re probably being ‘reaquainted’ with each other as we speak.

Thanatos:.......Fair. Well, when they are….ahem….less occupied, perhaps. But soon. Can you promise me this? For your sake and his?

Parame: I’ll try. That’s the only thing I can do….

Thanatos: That is all I ask.

--- Main Camp, Unknown Location ---

*Having passed the time with small talk and deeper planning, giving the younger gods some time to recover and unwind from their ordeals, Thanatos and Parame leave their tent and make their way to Inari’s. While there is a barrier there to prevent noise from passing through - mostly for the purposes of planning sessions - the barrier was nothing to the Elder Gods, who listened to make sure they would not be interrupting anything overly important*

*Inside the tent, Inari drowsily played with Rozyus’ hair as they rested their head on their lover’s chest, listening to the calm heartbeats that lulled them into a state of peace. The boy’s eyes fluttering awake, while lazily combing their fingers though the Child’s hair.*


Rozyus [Inner Thought]: *Chuckle* Isn’t it the woman who's supposed to lie like this on her lover's chest? Oh well, I guess this is nice every once in awhile… having them in my arms like this.

*Feeling the fingers in their hair and hearing the soft chuckle, Inari raised their head, offering a sleepy look.*

Inari: *Sleep slurred* S’up? Somethin’ wrong?

Rozyus: No, no, my love, it’s just rare that we lay like this. Usually you are the one to embrace me, that's all. But I guess it's nice, holding you like this. Makes me want to protect you more, I guess.

Inari: *A little more awake* Really? I more see it as you can’t get up and leave when I have you like this. That way I can have you all to myself a little longer. *Chuckle* I’m a little selfish at times, you see.  

Rozyus: Oh look at the ‘Great Deity’ - aren't we supposed to be above all these ‘human’ emotions? A shining example of what should be. *Tut tut* Such a naughty God you are.

*Chuckle*

Inari: *Smirking* Oh, I just had terrible role models. Have you seen some of our ‘great leaders’? The Greek Pantheon are hardly good role models. Besides, I’m hardly the paragon of virtue, even if some humans like to have many shrines for me. I am only living up to being the fox god, my love.

Rozyus: Now, now, don't be blaming your actions on those pure children. They’re good, sweet beings and I won't have you putting you wicked tendencies on them. *Trying to hold back a smirk.*

*Narrowing their eyes, Inari gives Rozyus a long look*

Inari:....Are you sure we’ve been looking at the same foxes? Either that, or they’ve been behaving for you. They probably inherited my adoration for you so stay on their best behaviour. You do spoil them so.

Rozyus: More likely than not, darling. But they're so cute, I can't kelp it. Not to mention Kuro - I won't lie, even your personal attendants aren't as well behaved as him, like a perfect little angel in black fur. I won't deny it, I miss him a little. I wonder if he's lonely? I did leave him with the other attendants, but still...

Inari: If there was anything wrong, I’d know. Kuro wouldn’t stand to be too affected. If I concentrated on him, he feels content, in a sleepy kind of way. I imagine that he’s having some lovely dreams. Though I know for sure he’ll be very pleased once you return.

Rozyus: …. Yeah….. Not long now, huh?….

*The Boy’s eyes seemed to wander into the distance, something was tugging at the corner of his mind. A memory seemed to flash for a moment before he banished it back again, focusing on his lover once more, who heaved a deep sigh*

Inari: Yes, I suppose…..and not long to enjoy this, either. I believe we have guests...Again….I do look forwards to the time when we won’t be constantly beset by interruptions.

Rozyus: Seems like they have nothing better to do, if you ask me. Like we’re the only two heros in the world or something…

Inari: I suppose we should see what they want, though. It’s likely not wise to ignore the elder gods. Though perhaps I should ask some of the others if they are tasked as much as us. I know that Horus normally would not complain but likely works just as hard

*The Boy reached out to collect a decent attire for both himself and the older deity. They both hastily dressed and then open the tent’s fabric doors to greet both Elder Gods.*

Rozyus: Well. What do you both want?

Thanatos: *Sigh* What a way to greet you superiors, and we were being patient enough to give you both some peace before we interrupted your… ‘private time’.

Rozyus: Ah, is that what they call snooping around these days?

Lord Thanatos: *Chuckle* Well, however you wish to perceive it ,we’re here now and we have to convey our next plan of action. It shouldn't take too long. Ok.

Rozyus: Whatever.

*The Boy, walks back to the seating area and thrust himself upon one of the sofas before lounging back, staring intently on the two elder gods. Inari, meanwhile, had pulled up some chairs from somewhere for the two elder gods. That done, they took their own seat besides Rozyus, though a lot more elegantly than Rozyus’ sprawl.*

Inari: What is it that you wanted to inform us of?

Lord Thanatos: It would appear that your work here is done. Your blade seemed sufficient and all that’s left is to move out. But… we do fear for the surrounding areas.

*Lord Thanatos gains a more serious expression*

Lord Thanatos: Though I doubt he’ll try anything with this place again, there is still a small percent chance he might try something. Knowing that, we would like for you to lead a small portion of your men in making a semi-permanent stronghold, at least for their piece of mind. We intend to invest in the local populace at some point. The process should take at least a few months or so.

*Snapping his fingers, a stack of documents are presented in front of the younger God.*

*In an instinctive movement, the younger god takes the papers and runs over them with clever eyes. Lists of orders, blueprints, suggestions for improvements, rota of people that needed to stay to help and how many that Inari could hand pick to join him in the creation of the stronghold. His mind quickly ran through several potential beings that could help. However, he pulled back on his thoughts for now. He could begin planning when he wasn’t entertaining the elders.*

Inari: That should be in order. Though some of the gods of protection or of architecture might have been a better choice for this, I will, of course, do my best to make sure that the people are taken care of. I assume that the small platoon remaining here will be enough to hold off Him while we take any of the villagers to safety, if we are caught out before construction is complete?

Parame: From what we have calculated, the people we have in kind should help to keep this place from being a still target. It wouldn’t help too much in all out war, but it will work against what he could send out at short notice. Army movements are often very hard to move without any warnings. Should he make a large scale move, we would have warning enough to provide further soldiers. But recall the battle of Thermopylae, even a small number left here could hold him off long enough for backup to arrive.

Inari: ….Forgive me if I hope that this will not be the case. While that battle was not overseen by my pantheon, it doesn’t mean I have not heard of it, and I would rather hope this did not become a last stand.

Lord Thanatos: Worry not, I do not perceive that will be the case.  Besides, as I stated, I doubt anything will come of this. It's more for peace of mind of the survivors.

Inari: I understand. I will, of course, be sure to ensure the peace of these people. In the meantime, what will become of everyone else? Will you all be furthering preventative measures against His emotional manipulations? I know that Rozyus must return to further training in Hades, but what of those who have similar emotion-based powers who are not a god’s Hero?

Rozyus: The same treatment should, more or less, be effective, getting to the root of the proverbial seed. Whether its with the aid of a god or not, it doesn't matter. The appointed counselors should be able to deal with them. Besides… there's not a lot of us that rely on our emotions in battle - honestly speaking, only 0.5% of our army and standby, so it shouldn't be an issue…

Inari: I suppose. It still just feels like an abandonment of those people if we couldn’t figure some form of protection. Still, this form of power is more in your expertise, so if you feel the method will be effective then I’ll trust in that. I am a little curious, though - will you be going through the Hero’s Trials once your training is completed? I assume you’ll be kept busy as well….

Inari [Inner Voice]: Ah, we only recently reunited, only to part ways again. If I didn’t know who governs fate, I would claim her to be cruel…

Rozyus: I'm not mistaken, the Hero’s Trials… well, the ones that are left, shouldn't take too long…. Well… if I can master a certain Elder God’s presence. The shear strength of it is ridiculous.

Lord Thanatos: Ah, thank you for the compliment, little one.

Rozyus: I wasn't complimenting you, Master!!!!

Lord Thanatos: *Chuckle.*

Inari: We should probably be glad that Loki or some other mischief god is not around, or I foresee many a joke about the weight of Elder Gods. But I digress. I think you will pass in no time, Rozyus. I believe in you.

*Scooting over to the Child, the boy pouts slightly while glaring hard at his master.*

Inari: So….I suppose what I should be asking now is….how long before these plans come to fruition?

Parame: As soon as the sun rises. Faster or plans come to fruition, the sooner we may leave. We should not linger in this place, lest we draw unwanted attention.

Inari: *Nodding* Very well. I’ll be sure to have our affairs in order, ready for clean up on the morrow. Is there anything else that we should be aware of until then?

Lord Thanatos:  No that is all, well i think we’ve overstayed our welcome.

*Lord Thanatos reaches over to tussle Rozyus’ hair, before turning his attention to Parame.*

Lord Thanatos: Shall we take our leave, my lady? We shouldn't stay in a lover's den too long, hence the thought of us being rude, no?

Parame: Ah, to be young and in love. Try not to do anything we would not.

Inari:...Considering that you are one of the elder gods….that doesn’t leave us with many restrictions.

Lord Thanatos: Pft! Cheeky pup.

*Lightly tapping Inari on the head with the staff of his lantern in a gentle rebuke, the elder gods, somewhat lightheartedly, took their leave. Pulling a slight face, Inari simply flicked their hair back into place that had been scuffed from the gentle blow*

Rozyus: Geez…. Can’t get no damn peace round here-

*A light bell-chime flutters outside the tent, signalling the arrival of a messenger. The boy stood up once more storming towards the material door of the tent. Once opened a crack  a wave of shock, passed through him… then an overly calm, hushed tone, so that the Child would not hear, he spoke.*

Rozyus: Hmph! You have some nerve, coming here twice. Even if you are possessing villager. I can smell it's you.

Inari: *Approaching from behind to see why Rozyus’ stopped suddenly* Ah, is there something we can do for you?

‘Villager’: Please forgive the interruption. I was asked to bring this to Lady Rozyus concerning a request made when she first arrived.

*Bowing, before holding a sealed envelope respectfully to Rozyus.*

'Villager': I do hope that this meets your requirements, your holiness.

Rozyus: *Snatching the envelope* …. Thank you, tell your…. ‘Master’ I will be meeting them soon and to be ready for my arrival. If everything isn't to my standards…. Then there will be hell to pay. Understood.

*The Boy shoots the Villager a dirty look but they smile in return, somewhat amused.*

‘Villager’: Of course. Your expectations shall be met. Is there a message you wish for me to inform my Master of, in case you have any specific requirements not yet discussed.

Rozyus: …. Tell them to figure it out by themselves…. And if you’re done here. LEAVE.

‘Villager’: I will inform them so. By your leave, my lady

*With that, the villager bowed to both gods and left, leaving Inari greatly confused, but also worried. That certainly did not seem like a friendly chat.*

Inari: Ah….Is the message safe? Forgive me if I’m wrong, but that did not seem to be a meeting of allies.

Rozyus: *Opening the letter* It’s fine, it’s just an invite.

[The letter reads as follows]

To the Fair Maiden I met in a dream,

Follow the the trickling luster of the moon tomorrow's eve, my light will show you the way.

Come alone, be singular, leave all your baggage behind, for it is a ball for two. We shall have our second dance under the stars one again.

The song of the night bird will be our muse, ‘till the sun separates us again.

Dear madam, we shall meet again.

*The Boy, crumples up the paper before, throwing it into the flames of a nearby fireplace. The Child speaks once again.*

Inari: I assume the invite is an unwanted one. Your expression is rather intense, my love. Is there someone in the village with an obsession with your good self? Should I be jealous?

Rozyus: *Chuckle* Well, it is always fun to see you jealous. The rear sight is quite fun, I must say. But no, it's just an individual that I’ve recently been battling wits with. They have information I need, so I must deal with their… ways. Nothing I can't handle.

Inari [Inner Thoughts]: Somehow, I don’t feel that that is the full truth. That look that he had….it doesn’t really match with one battling with wits, not in the way he was hinting at - Ah, no, no, this is Rozyus. How could I ever call myself worthy of him if I can’t trust him? If he needs help, he will ask.

Inari: Well, if you need any help in your battle, you know you can always call on me, right? Just say the word.

Rozyus: *Snuggling up close the the older god.* I-I’ll tell you how things go when it’s done, but I suppose we should rest a bit more.

*The boy leads the Child over to the bed, pushing them down slightly.*

Rozyus: Besides, I want you all to myself right now. *Grin*

Inari: *Laughing* Ah, my love, and you tease me for saying such things! But that is fine by me

*They cup the Boy’s cheek with a hand, looking up with half lidded eyes.*

Inari: After all, I must make the most of all the time I have with you, right?

*They pause, before flinging a paper talisman at the door. A barrier glowed a moment before becoming invisible. That done, they grin and pull Rozyus to them to their faces are almost touching*

Inari: Now that there won’t be any more interruptions….shall we continue where we left off?

*The Boy laughs softly, as he mounts the Child*

Rozyus: I was waiting for you to say that. Now, where were we…?


No comments:

Post a Comment