Tuesday 13 June 2017

Date Under The Stars



--- Inari’s Tent, Main Camp ---

*In contrast with earlier that day, the tent was now quiet, still, lit only by the light of the moon that trickled through the crack in the tent door, just enough to see and move around in. Tucked into the bed, lying on his side was Inari, eyes closed and breathing soft in slumber. However, while the tent’s owner was lost to dreams, the other occupant was awake, waiting for the chance to move without disturbing his lover’s rest. Rozyus’ ears listened for all the tell tale signs that Inari was fast asleep before finally making a move.*

*The Boy leans over to the child, kissing them lightly on the lips before peeling away the sheets and slipping out of the bed. Begrudgingly, the boy dolls himself up, wearing a  more finer attire than his typical garments, combing his hair and delicately painting his lips with a black pigment.

He looked back for a moment, before turning once more to his sleeping lover. He had made a point of slowly lowering his presence, quieting his steps so as not to alert the older deity.

A small thread of guilt washed over the boy before he turned away once more. Reaching out for his cloak and lantern of his weapon, he creeped towards the entrance of the tent. He needed to be a silent - the slightest mistake could raise alarm, not only in his lover, but the whole camp itself.*

Rozyus: I’m sorry, my love…. I have to dance with another man tonight… I do not do so out of love, but curiosity… please… forgive me my selfishness.

*With those words, the boy departs, carefully slipping through the fabric door of the tent. The words of the letter flowing in the back to his mind*

To the Fair Maiden I met in a dream…

*The Boy slipped through the crowd of soldiers, lightly stepping, mimicking the movement and patterns his master once showed him: ‘The Dance of the Reaper’ - light movements, barely noticeable by the living, a presence so low that it mixed with the shadows themselves. The moon shone bright, brighter than he bared to care for at present.*

Follow the the trickling luster of the moon tomorrow's eve, my light will show you the way.

*He steadily approached the center of the camp, his exit seemed so far internally his impatience began to swell like a mighty river moments away from flowing from the dam that was his self control, he silently exhaled before resting under the shade of a nearby crate. The soldiers patrolling the aria seemed to not notice the disturbance, but it could not be said for the ‘other’ person their*

Voice: An odd time to be taking a stroll

*Out of the shadows, Thanatos glides forwards, tilting his head as he stepped into Rozyus’ line of sight*

Rozyus: Hump i should be saying the same thing to you old man, do you have business with me Master?

Lord Thanatos: Somewhat. I had some trouble finding rest myself and hoped a walk might help with the restlessness. Until I saw you, flitting through the shadows like a thief in the dark. I suppose it made me…..curious. These past few days you have seemed troubled. As your mentor, I was hoping that perhaps I might lend an ear. Sometimes it helps, if only to put one’s thoughts in order.

Rozyus: My thoughts are in order, master. I do not need to be coddled by you or that woman. I sort things out myself. And I just wish to meet a friend in a near by town. That’s all. They have information that has peeked my interest.

Lord Thanatos: It is not coddling to rely on you allies in troubled times. While it is true that sometimes we must face things alone, sometimes merely talking might help. However….In this case….

Come alone, be singular, leave all your baggage behind, for it is a ball for two.

*Thanatos sighs, closing his eyes*

Lord Thanatos: It seems to me that there is a crossroads that you’ve reached, with two paths currently open to you. You would not be the first to face such a trial. And a wise warrior, be they god, hero, or even a simple mortal, will not dive into the unknown while unprepared. It is commendable that you would do such a thing. However, all I ask is that, in your search for the ‘truth’ you do not lose sight of yourself. It is easy to see things with biased eyes.

*After a moment of internal struggle, Thanatos steps to one side, opening an arm to allow Rozyus to pass*

Lord Thanatos: Which is why I will not force you to remain, no matter how I feel about this. Until you have seen the truth, with your own eyes, you will always remain in doubt. Instead, I shall place my trust in you, as your teacher, your master, and your friend, that, whatever happens from here, it is because you have weighed both sides, truth and lies, and reached the conclusion yourself. All I offer is advice - whatever decision you make should not be one made in haste, or in spite. And trust in your heart. I know that, whatever choice you make from here, it is because you have weighed the options and picked the road that only you feel is right.

*The boy seemed to glare, attempting to steady his rage with a hasty swishing his cape.*

Rozyus: Are you done? An Ally? Don’t jest with me. You treat me like a child, not the equal you claim to!!! I’m going to find out the other side of the coin. Whether I stay on this side, or not… is no choice of yours. I don’t trust ANY of the elder gods, and that includes YOU, ‘Master.’ This conversation is over. Now, if you’ll excuse me.

*With that, the boy left, continuing on his path and attempts to calm his mind. He heard a faint chuckle. He knew who the voice belonged to, but he ignored it for the moment. Finally, finally, he reaches the exit after what felt like eternity.*

Rozyus: *Sigh* So annoying. I just want to get this night over with so I can rest…. What else did the letter say again…? I lost my train of thought…

We shall have our second dance under the stars one again.


Rozyus: So I have to navigate the stars, huh? Well, it shouldn’t be to hard. There’s only a few stars out… so it should be fine…

*A few hours roll by and the boy reaches the No Man’s land of the long forgotten battlegrounds. The scorched earth seemed to crumble with every step he took, the hooting of owls could be heard faintly in the distance, for a while as he pressed onward.*

The song of the night bird will be our muse.
‘till the sun separates us again.

*He ran to keep pace with their calls - they seemed further and further away, and, just as he began to lose the little breath remaining in his lungs, a faint orange glow illuminated the field. Phantom stalls of emerged, bustling people and a lively atmosphere emerged from the nothingness that surrounded him. The boy listen closely, the faintest sound of ballroom music trilled through the air. The familiar, yet sinister song sent a small chill down his spine.

Cautiously, he pressed on, each step more shaky than the last, the music growing louder and louder, the beating of his heart hammering in his ears, in harmony with the sound of the drums.

Thump thump, thump thump...

Silence.

The music stopped and so did the sound of his heart, the mist thickened and a barely recognizable presence penetrates the air.*

Voice: One two three, one two three - this is the rhythm of the dance. My Dear Maiden, we meet again.

*From the mists, a figure steps forwards, their figure finally visible to the eye, unobstructed by the fog. While the clothing might have been different, it seemed that the Host that had been in Rozyus’ dream now visits their guest in real life*

Host: I will admit, considering how out last rendezvous ended, I had been….unsure you would accept my invitation. It would seem I underestimated you. My sincerest apologies.

*The boy tugged at the hem of his attire, offering a curtsy before stepping towards the Host.*

Rozyus: Well, I’m here now, that's all that matters. I apologize. I’m not formally dressed, but this was the best I could do in such a short time.

*He extends his hand out daintily, which the Host accepts, lifting it to his lips*

Host: Ah, but even if you had been dressed in rags, the honour of your company is far more valuable than even the most expensive of clothes or the rarest of diamonds. Still, I do have a solution to that, if you are willing?

*The Boy with steely eyes, nods*

Rozyus: Do as you… will.

*Laughing gently at the pun, the Host stepped back before snapping his fingers. In an instant, the outfit that he was wearing changed, becoming far more refined. Indeed, it matched exactly what he had been wearing during their meeting in the dreamscape*

Host: I believe this might be more suiting to your tastes? The colours do match you, especially in the moonlight. Far more fitting of the goddess you are.

Rozyus: Hmm… well aren't we sliver tongued, but thank you. Shall we be going? Before ‘The sun separates us again.’

Host: Indeed it does. Time waits for no god, not even the Elder ones.

*With that, the Host offers his arm to Rozyus to take, before leading the boy to the ballroom. As they entered, music played, though softly, as if to aid in ambiance rather than dance. The host leads his guest to one of the tables where food and drink was served by faceless servants. As they sat, drink was poured for them in crystal goblets without prompting before the servants left them to talk.*

Host: Forgive my asking. While I was aware you wished to meet me, I am not an omniscient being. No matter how many gods might try to make themselves seem otherwise. If I may, what made you decide to seek me out? You made such a decision long before I offered the invitation. It is not that you changed your mind, not exactly. So you must wish for something from me. What is your desire, my dear guest?

*Taking a sip from the goblet, before placing a hand on the Host’s lap, looking up from his look lashed at his ‘partner’. Speaking in a somewhat seductive tone*

Rozyus: Can my desire to see you not be satisfactory?

Host: If it was that, then yes. However, I’m not so foolish to believe that is the case. You are more wily than you give yourself credit, however, I am well aware of your attention being elsewhere. You are also not the kind to commit adultery.

*The Host leans forwards with a smile, running a finger over his hand*

Host: I know what choices you have that have lead to who you are now. That is something that cannot be hidden from me, the way….someone else, can see other things. You are not here to see me. Or rather, you are not here ‘just’ to see me. I can see it in your eyes - you have questions you believe I have answers to. A question unasked is a question unanswered. So, what is your desire, My Lady?

Rozyus: How cruel of you to bring up ‘that’ woman.

*Seductive whisper*

Rozyus: I really did come to see you again. Considering…

*The boy laced his fingers with the host*

Rozyus: I can see us meeting from time to time, getting to know each other more, playing our own game. You have the ability to twist your presence in such a way that your unrecognizable to those who haven't quite met you. In truth you intrigue me. So…

*He leaned close to the host, pressing his frame closer to his ‘partner.’*

Rozyus: Tell me more about you.

*The Host smirked, obviously onto the game, but he decided to play along for now*

Host: Ah, but there is so much to tell. Surely by now they’ve told you my story. Though, no, that’s not true, is it? Or rather, that’s why you are here now. You haven’t trusted ‘That Woman’ in a long time and you feel she’s twisted when she has told you, told everyone, about me, in order to make her ‘side’ seem the most flattering, and in the brightest light, while I become the pariah, the one who ‘disturbed the peace’. To those in Parame’s ‘radiant light’, I am the Lucifer to her ‘God’. Am I right?

*The Boy chuckled, running the index finger of his  free hand over the Hosts lips.*

Host: I bet you think you hit the nail over the head with that little remark, but no sadly no. she told me of how you both were a thing way back when, she told me how you… ‘fell from grace’ she told me her side of the war. But she didn't tell me the whole story. That I know that much is true. So i’ve come to the source. I’ve come to here your side of the story. You promised to tell me the truth your word as a god to tell me the truth. For I haven't come here as a soldier. Just one curious to figure out the pieces to the puzzle.

I might think about making you mine, if you're a good boy too… how does that sound? It would be fun to see the look on that woman's face, no?

Host: Funny as it might be, to ‘tame’ free will is rather against the entire nature of it, don’t you think?

Rozyus: Too bad, your were cute enough to be my lover.

Host: My heart aches at your words. However, you are here for my perception on this story, are you not? I will tell you the truth, however, only if you, in turn, act just as sincere. No games. After all, if we continue to play, how will you know that I am not merely lying to you, to paint your side as ‘evil’? And myself as ‘innocent victim’? In this time, in this space, I shall offer you my truth, if you have the mind and heart to listen.

Rozyus: To stop the ‘Game’ now? Inconceivable. *chuckle* I have faith that you won't lie to me and, when in doubt, I’ll just look into your soul. I am more than prepared to listen, so tell me your tale.

*The Boy unlaced his fingers from the Host, and shifts slightly, still leaning against the Host. as he pours them both another glass.*

Host: Ah, that you would shun my sincerity. How cruel. Still, I suppose this may turn out interesting no matter the choice you reach in the end. As many a tale, I shall start at the beginning...

*With that, the Host described his tale, following a similar path to that of Parame’s, however, he could give reason where Parame had only had speculation, and, true to his word, he kept as sincere in what he had to say as he promised. Time passed, food and drink served as the tale continued, until finally, it reached its end*

Host: While my tale to present is over, it would seem that what happens next relies on you. Whatever you end up deciding, at least know that I will not harm you while the night still lasts, should you chose to leave here. Should you chose to stay, you will be welcomed. But I am a man of my word either way. What comes next is up to you.

Rozyus: ....I-I shall.... Why does this choice…

*The boy goes quiet for the moment, deep in thought before making his decision*

Rozyus: I’ll stay… at least till the sun arises, for some reason I don't with to leave you alone. At least not tonight.

Host:....Even though my promise was only to allow you to leave unharmed before the sun rises? Why?

Rozyus: Don't ask me, I don't know the answer. I just, I just want to be by your side tonight. I’ll deal with the consequence of my decision once the sun greets me.

Host: If that is what you wish. Though know the consequences may not come from just me. Surely you know that your choice here may affect how your allies feel to you. Last time we danced, you spoke of one that holds a place in your heart, a soul whose existences kept you from my side. What, then, would happen should ‘That Woman’ inform them of your choice? I find it odd that you would risk breaking their heart over such a ‘feeling’.

Rozyus: D-don’t sway my minds I will tell them of what happened in time… like I said I don't wish to be parted from you tonight. I don't want you to be alone again, you’ve been alone for so long now, i just want-

*The boy cuts his words before they could manifest from his lips.*

*The host closes his eyes, a chuckle escaping their lips before they fell silent, gaze lifted to the ‘ceiling’ of the dance room, which seemed to be made of glass, showing the glistening of the stars in the sky. After a moment, he closed them again.*

Host:....I shall give you an hour after dawn to leave safely. After that, I’m certain, we shall be opponents once again. Until then, you are welcome to stay as you wish. It would be a shame to waste the night when the stars shine so brightly, untainted by my gift….and curse. Wouldn’t you say, Rozyus?

Rozyus: You said my name, makes me kind of happy. ‘N’...th-this won't be our last dance right? There is still pieces missing, but I think I have a clear picture. I won't make my final choice tonight, but…

Well, it doesn't matter. But you're right, the stars do look lovely tonight. We should watch them again soon. *Small smile*

Host: Perhaps. There is, after all, always a choice. Let tomorrow have its troubles, and tonight be a time all its own.

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment