Sunday 11 December 2016

The God Killer



*The communicator rings, slowly waking up Madam Povell. Tiredly, she rubs her eyes and, eventually answers.

Madam Povell: Hello, you are speaking to Povell. What would be the issue?

Voice: Ah, Madam Povell. I wasn’t entirely certain if you would be in range yet. Although….did I catch you at a bad time?

Madam Povell: No, no, I was just resting my eyes. Is there a problem?

Voice: I was hoping to clarify our movements once you have landed. While we have planned the bare basics, there was still a lot of wiggle room. I was hoping to see if the plans are concrete at this point, and what we should be expecting once you and your charge have arrived.

Madam Povell: To be honest… we can plan all we choose, but it will not do much good once the subject has awakened. I explained my concerns to Alastair a while ago. Not much has changed to the point of alarm… YET. However, I fear the worst once the subject has been exposed to the world of the mystic. If possible, I would like to see if we can find a way to either strengthen the seal or replace it. Do you think that will be possible at some point in the near future?

Voice: I will be honest with you, at this point in time, I don’t believe a seal will hold. Or at least not without terrible consequences. The subject’s powers are not made to be repressed, and to continue to do so may even cause more damage than we might be willing to deal with. It would be like putting too much water within a dam - eventually, something will give. And violently.

Madam Povell: ...That’s what I’m afraid of… then, what can we do? If unchecked… well, you know as well as I what could, and most likely will, happen.

Voice: Perhaps, however, if I were to offer a suggestion? Instead of looking for a permanent seal, perhaps it would be best to slowly allow the powers to leak out? That way, she will be able to gain control over a little of her power, before allowing access to more. It would be like allowing a little bit of pressure out at a time. Using this method, once the seal inevitable fails, rather than a flood that would ravage everything it touches, the subject themselves could control enough of their power that the damage would be minimal at best. If the seal is inevitably going to break anyway, wouldn’t it be better to allow the subject to come to terms with their abilities slowly, rather than them causing irreparable damage and believe themselves to be a monster instead?

*A faint chuckle escapes from Madam Povell’s lips, her eyes darting to the side in order to check on the sleeping girl behind her. Then, back to the communicator once more*

Madam Povel: Almost a decade of stored presence, restricted power from a being whose magic rivaled those many years her senior…. Do you really think it would be that easy to open the flood gates and let all that power out? No, far from it. It would be like setting off an atomic bomb - she’d easily be able to kill us all without even knowing it.

Voice: I never claimed it would be easy, Madam. However, the seal is already weakening. Her power will already be trickling through. Best allow her to start training to control what she can now access. If, once the power is fully released, it reduces the blast area to a city in size rather than an entire continent, then even that will be a victory. Right now, we do not have the luxury to think there will be no damages. All we can do is prepare to minimise the issue as it comes. I can place temporary seals in order to help strengthen the seal she has, in order for her to gain control over what is already being released at a slower pace, but at this point, preventing the seal’s release is impossible, as you are well aware. Now, would you rather maybe only a hundred or so be killed at worst, or would you prefer to be responsible for millions of lives being lost because the subject could not control her power at all?

Madam Povell: Don't you think I'm not aware of that? What I'm telling you is we waited too late for this. For the collateral to be on the scale of a city, we should have done this years ago, but, due to circumstances, she has only been in our care for the past few years. Letting her powers out now it not the best option. Imagen it… a individual so easily persuaded, empowered by their emotions, her blood lust ever growing, with the abilities and strength that she has, even at her weakest, would be almost unstoppable. At best… no, it’s the last resort. For the people’s safety, we would have to ‘put her down’, so to speak. It’s the last option, but neither I nor Alastair would be able to stop her. Once the subject loses its humanity… we would be dealing with a monster that even monsters fear.

Voice: I believe you are dismissing the idea far too quickly. You almost speak of it as if there is no outcome that would benefit either the subject or the Organization, either. If you are this unwilling to even give the idea a chance, even with the backup of seals stabilising the one she already has, then why not just terminate the subject and be done with it, since you are determined to believe that, no matter what, she will be nothing more than a monster.

Madam Povell: ….  Unless you manage to find a stabiliser, or at least a mid level deity willing to either suppress or filter her powers; in addition to monitor her around the clock, she can't be saved…  as much as wish to fulfil my love for this child and protect her from that fate. Logically speaking, for the sake of saving the the innocent lives around her… annihilation instead of whatever remaining of her sanity becoming distorted. Annihilation is the most ‘humane’ option. There are far worse things out there than death.

Voice: That is something that I can do. As we both know, there is no way to prevent the explosion at this point, but with the right processes, we can minimise the radius. I will continue to look into the situation and, in the meantime, provide the means to slow the breakdown of the original seal. Just make sure that what powers do leak out, she can control in the meantime. I’ll be sure to keep you posted on the results from my end as well.

Madam Povell: Fine. Do as you feel to fulfil what maybe a fruitless task at best. But, while you're at it, there's a flower I need you to send to me. It's in the lower basement of my London estate. It’s nectar is nicknamed ‘the God killer’. Have it sent to me as soon as possible, if you will.

Voice: I see….a shadow of an attempt to look at the best while expecting the worst. But very well, I will do as you dictate. But know that I will still do my best to at least give the child a chance by my own means. How soon will you be arriving at your destination? And for how long will you be there for, if only so I know where your ‘God Killer’ will need to be sent.

Madam Povell: We will be arriving in the next five hours, and the information is in my file: around three months at most, then a short break in China before we head off to headquarters. I want ‘the God Killer’ brought to me within the first week of the trip. I can keep the plan alive while I'm here and I’ll message you if I need further supplies.

Voice: As you wish, Madam. It shall be done. In the meantime, take care.

Madam Povell: …. You too.

*The communicator shuts off and she hastily shove it into her bag. Briefly stretches her legs and walks down the aisle, her gaze drifts towards the sleeping flower shivering slightly in her sleep.

Madam Povell: Little one… it was my duty to protect you and… I'm sorry, but know this… I’ll make your death as painless as I possibly can. It will be just like falling into the deepest of slumbers.

*With that, she covers the girl with a thick comforter, and sits back in her chair*

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment