Sunday 4 December 2016

A Question of Beliefs


--- Last time ---

Boy 1: Before we’re interrupted again, I want to ask you… my.. My love.. Will you… will you.. M..maaa…. Damn, why can I get it out?

Child: I know what you want to say. In fact, you’ve actually asked me before, but were in no state for me to reply. Let me finally say it now. *Gently threading their fingers through his hair* My love, with all my heart, I wish to tie us together, be it through marriage, or the red threads of fate. I wish to remain with you, now and always, forever.

Boy 1: I’m so happy! I love you, I love you so much!

Child: Then I promise, once my mission is over, You’ll be mine, and I will be yours. No matter what happens. Until the end of time.

--- Unknown Location ---

*Wandering through the extravagant halls, the Child, while walking, is going over some paperwork for new armour designs, since their last armour set had been somewhat damaged, double checking the specifications wanted before it would pass to a blacksmith's hands. Finally, the child decided to stop, rubbing at their temples to ward off an oncoming headache due to the various planning that had needed to be done in order to be able to make the most of the rest of their time off from the front lines*

Child: And it would be so much easier if half of this didn’t have to be run passed his Storminess. Ugh….

*Boy 1 wanders over to the child, massaging the child’s shoulders. Light shimmers from his hair.*

Boy 1: Did you forget, my love? You are now able to do as you please… to some extent. Your ‘promotion’ gives you the ability to be on the same level as that idiot.

Child: ...I...actually did, somewhat. It is odd. I’m so used to not having such a thing over him that it just comes second nature to follow the whole routine of ‘this is what I want to do, I’m doing my duty and informing you about it. What, you don’t like it? Too bad’. It….feels odd to have such a promotion. *chuckles* Does this mean I can fake childish tantrums as well and abscond with you all over the place instead of doing my job, like he does with his various conquests?

*Boy 1, gently plays with the child's hair in a somewhat seductive manner.*

Boy: You can do as you wish, as long as it doesn't affect your position, my love. As much as i'm still against this, you were chosen by ‘her’ to be a hero, so you must to what is right… just until you task is done. Then I can spoil you as your heart desires.

Child: Well, as much as I really would rather abscond to a private place with you and never leave your side, unfortunately I suppose I’ve been raised with some respect to my various duties, whether willingly taken up or ‘granted’ for whatever reason.

*The Child sighs slightly, leaning into Boy 1’s touch.*

Child: Hopefully, though, if I get this out of the way, I should be able to spend the rest of my time with you with fewer interruptions. By the way, since I don’t need to argue with Mister Moody Bolts, what do you think of the armour specifications?

*The Child holds the blueprints up so that Boy 1 could look them over with them*

Child: While you’re not yet on the front lines, your war theory is almost on par with the war gods. Do you think I covered everything that I need to, or have I missed anything that you think might better keep me alive?

*Boy 1 looks deep in thought, bringing out several pieces of parchment and paint brushes, beginning to draw.

Boy 1: Your designs are good, but… you're thinking of the armor like a human... Remember,  your enemy not only uses brute force, but magic, too. So maybe… something like this…. Reinforced with magic… Oh ‘n we can keep the general design like how you did this, but… yes, this might be it… look, it has less weak spots. Also, if we use this material, you should be more agile and the material’s lighter weight - it should be able to adjust to weather conditions, too. So, this? How do you feel about this design?

Child: ….Do you think I could hire you to design all my outfits…?

*Boy 1 looks away bashfully.*

Boy 1: If it were up to me, you wouldn't be wear-

*He catches himself before he could finish his sentence, cheeks turning a rosy pink*
Child: *Sly look* Oh? Is that a wish, there, dearheart? Well, I certainly wouldn’t have a problem with that, though I think it might turn a few heads if I turn up naked in the meeting hall.

Boy 1: Ah… well… N-no! Only I can see you like that! Ah, um…

Child: Oh yes, it would indeed be rather annoying to talk in a meeting if everyone is staring and getting distracted. *Chuckling, the child reaches over to cup Boy 1’s cheek with their hand* Yes, I’m just as possessive, I think. You’re the only one who could ever see me that way. Our secret that only we have. No one else.

Boy 1: Sometimes, I fear that my ways will either lead you to hate me or…. disgrace you, so I try to hold back… But then, look what happened last time… I'm sorry for the way I acted back then. I swear I’ll never behave that way again.

Child: *Shaking head* No, no, I told you before, I did understand. But what came from it did help the both of us to learn and to grow. Besides, you know that I could never hate you.

Boy 1: Truly? Now I think about it, I feel ashamed still. Oh, my skills have grown since then, so much so that Uncle T has said that I will be his Hero. Also, you know the weapon he carries? He’s going to bestow it upon me! The lantern that can carry and draw out souls... but he also said swords would not work well with it, so i'm looking into firearms now.  What do you think?

Child: Indeed, the lantern would make you far more limited at close range with a bladed weapon such as a sword. If you look into the right kind of firearms, though, and you are inventive enough - not something you need to worry about there, you have such inventiveness in spades - then you could utilise firearms at close or long range. Have you, perhaps, approached some of those with such skills to talk you through your options? I’m afraid that other than my spells, I tend to prefer swords, personally, even if I am aware of the benefits of other forms of weaponry.

Boy 1: You always look so cool with your swordsman skills. I don't see the problem with that. Besides, I’ll cover you when you're in a bind.

*He slowly sits on the child's lap snuggling into the child's embrace*

Boy 1: Oh, have you looked at the new weapon Uncle H was working on? They combined magic and heavenly presence into blades and such. You might find it useful.

Child: Well, it wouldn’t be the first time that I’ve aided someone in blacksmithing, myself, so it might be good to keep up to date with such things. He did give me some interesting tips last time I spoke to him about it.

Boy 1: I just want to keep you as safe and prepared as I can. It really should be a sin to have any marks of you beautiful skin. Except for the ones I make….

Child: Ooh, kinky. *smirks* Have I, perhaps, been a bad influence on you?

Boy 1: Well… do you see anyone else that could affect me so, my love?

*Slowly a servant attempts to get there attention. The boy turns in a huff.*
Boy 1: i swear, they do this on purpose... Well? What do you want!

Child: Now now, it is a free corridor. *Turning to the servant* Very well, what is it you need?

Servant: I… um… I apologise. Mother wants a quick word with you. Also, Lord H wants to see your concepts for your new armor as soon as possible, so he can gather the materials as needed.

Child: Ah, we have just finished coming up with some new concepts.

*Recalling what happened last time Boy 1 had been around Mother, the Child hesitates, before glancing over to him*

Child: Would you prefer to head over to Mister H’s while I speak to Mother, in order to talk him through your improved concepts?

Boy 1: Sure… I don't wish to see mother yet… Don't worry, I’ll make sure you’re not only safe, but the most stylish commander out on the field.

*Grinning to mask both his disgust and hatred towards Mother, the boy disappears in a storm of petals.*

Child: Hopefully Mother isn’t going to be asking me how to patch up this situation….*Sighing, they turn to the servant* Is Mother in the usual place?

Servant: … Yes… she should be coming out of the cleansing pool by now, so you are welcome to greet her there.

Child: Very well. I’ll be on my way then. Please excuse me

*Giving the servant a brief nod of dismissal, the Child makes their way down the corridor and towards the cleansing pools, making sure to wait politely outside for Mother to finish up, suspecting that she was already well aware of their presence.*

Mother: Aren't you going to say anything, my sweet child?

Child: Ah, I wasn’t certain if you were fully finished or not, Mother. I sometimes meditate a little myself in there, when I have the chance, or if my mind is particularly troubled. I didn’t wish to disturb you, if it was the case.

Mother: Don't worry about me… I wanted to ask you a few questions, if that's ok with you?

Child: I have no problem with anyone asking me a question. Whether I reply to it is a different matter, of course, but you are always free to ask me a few questions, Mother, you know that.

*She chuckles, wringing water out of her hair and reaching over for a new attire*

Mother: So…. How is that boy? Has he calm down some? I do feel a little lonely now he's not returned to my side in so long.

Child: I won’t lie to you, Mother. I don’t feel that he will forgive you for some time. He is no longer arguing about the decision, but I believe that he will not wish to see you for longer still. Perhaps it is selfish of me, but I prefer not to further anger him by attempting to act as a bridge in this. It will only hurt him more. And hurting him further may just end me.

*She sighs while finishing her dressing. Running her fingers through her hair, she looks over at the child*

Mother: Well, it's to be expected, but I did have a good reason for my actions. I always do. I do miss him, however, I suppose for a time being i’ll let him be. Just… just give me reports on him now and then. I'm am a concerned parent, no matter what you may think of me now.

*Her eyes seem sad as she speaks*

Child: I’ll keep you up to date on his well being, of course - you are his mother, far more than you are to the rest of us. But I won’t be able to tell you anything he speaks to me in confidence. I’m afraid that is a line that I couldn’t cross.

*Even if their words seem harsh, their tone is gentle. The Child moves over and places a hand on her arm*

Child: I know it’s hard but….give him a little time. Family means a lot to him. It’s just that….well...it’s hard to be separated from the one you love. Though…that is something I believe you are aware of, yourself, is it not?

*The child sighs, looking a little uncomfortable*

Child: Since my promotion, I have looked much further into the motivations behind the war and….Well, I don’t believe that I could have been that strong as you have needed to be.

Mother: To be an opponent at the table of His game… sometimes you need to sacrifice emotion, sacrifice relationships… just to focus on the end goal. It's not easy.. but after the first few millennia, it get easier. Hopefully, this time, I can get through to ‘him.’

*She rests her hand over the child’s*

Child: We can try. But even so, Mother, if we are to win, we must also survive to the end. I ask that you don’t burn all your bridges, as we must live in the world we create afterwards. Sacrificing everything to win, will only mean that in the end you will lose. And wouldn’t that be merely proving His point?

*She chuckles…*

Mother: As i expected from my Hero, your thoughts are gentle and pure, even to a creature as wretched as myself, but I suppose you are right. Emotions are such… manipulative things…. They fuel those with free will, both empowering and destructive, they make even the wise such fools. But, I suppose the biggest of fools are he and I, for playing this game in the first place.  

Child: *Blushes slightly* Ah, I….well, never considered myself ‘Pure’ and ‘gentle’ - and our enemies may very much disagree with you...But for myself, I have never felt my emotions to be burdensome. Indeed, they are a source of my strength. I fight for those I love. But for leaders of wars, sometimes it is necessary to manipulate in order to keep morale intact, or even to be sure that we all fight the same enemy.

*The child wanders to the windows, looking out towards the sky*

Child: Even so, one must never let it get to their heads. To be able to differentiate between pawns and people. That is your own battle that the commanders must face. As long as you know this, then it will be just one more step in overcoming our enemy, because our enemy believes that life is hopeless. So every life protected by another, every selfless act, every caring word or just remembering who we all really are, it all goes to prove that we are not a dead end.

*The Child chuckles a little, a tiny bit of pink touching their cheeks*

Child: Is it odd of me to believe in such things?

Mother: No, not odd, but beautiful, to think in such a way in these times…

*She finally smiles, her presence dropping, blooming as her child's namesake throughout the surrounding area.*

Mother: I believe I’ve stolen you away from that boy for long enough. Until next time.

*With that, she disappears from the room*

Child: ….Until then, Mother.

*With nothing keeping the child longer, they leave to once again return to their lover’s side.*

Boy 1: ...And uncle, I feel this would work best. I’ll gather the materials as needed, and… oh! My love, are you done?

Child: I believe so. It was a rather….strange conversation. But still, it seems that you have done a lot in my absence. Hello, Mister H. I trust that the modifications will be no trouble?

H: Hahahaha! Of course! The only vexing thing is the materials needed. But your lover just volunteered to fetch them for you, so that shouldn't be an issue.

*Boy 1 blushes at the word ‘lover’*

Child: *Seeming proud of Boy 1* I have full confidence that whatever materials he can get will be the best there is. He has a great amount of talent for such things. I’m contemplating keeping him all to myself - oh, wait *offers a sly smirk* Is that not what we already do?

Boy 1: M-my love! Don't tease me!!!!

H: Ahahahah! To be young! Hahaha!

Boy 1: Jeez! Meany head! Stupid lover of mine!

Child: Ah, is it wrong of me to praise you? You are quite devine in my eyes after all.

*Boy 1 snuggles up to the Child, nuzzling into their warmth.*

Boy 1: You realise i'm far more flawed than you know, my love. Oh, whatever…. I love you… so happy.

[End]

No comments:

Post a Comment