Wednesday 9 November 2016

Meeting with 'Mother Part 5: The Dream



--- Last Time ---

Mother: That's where the sword comes into play: It has the power to soften the hearts of men and calm the souls of the mystic enough for them to see reason. And, when things have become slightly more manageable, the ‘clan’ I have created is there in place to seal the deal. It will take time for things to smooth over, a few years at best.

Child: I see….An interesting weapon it is. Rather than severing bonds, it instead binds them, in a way. Very well, I will be sure to fulfil this mission. Though, you say you wish for me to rest, first. How long until I must take this mission?

Mother: ‘Five months time’, and wouldn't you like me to teach you how to use the sword? It won't work unless you treat it in a certain way.

--- Unknown Location ---

Opening the door to his mother's chamber boy 1 overhears his mother and his lover conversation clutching the flower he has in his hand his mind now in disarray.

Boy 1: What…? They’re going away again…? For three years?! What… why them?!! How could she ask that of them?! Does she want us separated that badly? What am I to do with them gone? No, I can't allow this. No. NO!!!!

*On the other side of the door*

Child: Before you begin, we have a visitor, Mother *Looks around towards the doorway, a somewhat sorrowful look crossing their face briefly.* Love, are you there?

Boy 1: Wh…. When were you going to tell me!? How could you just leave?! You’ve been away for so long! You only just got back…. Why did you agree to this?! And even after you said all those things to me…

*His breath labored and, with anger swirling in his heart, he turns his attention to his mother*

Boy 1: How could you ask something like this, Mother?! Why? WHY!?

*Unconsciously, his presence releases in a somewhat demonic fashion, fangs protruding from his jaw and eyes glowing, his voice warming. He clutches the flower again.*

Boy: MOTHER, HOW COULD YOU PULL THEM FROM ME!? I’LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU!!!

*Slowly, he makes his way towards his mother, but, hastily, the child stops him.*  

Child: Love, please….let….let me explain….  *expression pained, the child looks up through their hair* You know that if I had a choice in the matter, I would never have accepted this. But….even I am not above the calls of fate. But please, will you at least give us the chance to explain fully? Or….at least….to beg forgiveness….

Mother: If you have just come to my chamber to whine like a child, then leave. NOW. I’m on a tight time frame and I have no time to deal with your tantrums, boy.

Child: *Shocked* Mother!

*She calls the child's name, unfazed *

Mother: Leave now boy. I will deal with you later. And you call yourself a soldier. How do you expect to become a great leader if you lose yourself to your emotions like this? You're almost an adult, now act like it.

*Gritting his teeth, the boy trembles, spitting out a curse, before leaving in such haste that he drops the now crushed flower.*
Child: *Eyes hidden by their hair, the child bends down and picks up the flower, staring at it for a long moment, before closing their eyes and letting out a shaky breath* He...was bringing this to me….F-flowers…..always were something he enjoyed, even practicing Ikebana…..This flower….I don’t recognise it. What….what does….this flower mean…?

Mother: … Its…

*She sighs, running her fingers through her hair.*

Mother: This flower is ‘Lillina’. When presented alongside the namesake of my son, and presented at my altar, it means that there is a great desire to marry the one who receives it...That he would present it to you at such a time….The situation is not yet appropriate, and his timing even more so….

Child: …  

*Ducking their head once more, they bite their lip, a trickle of tears slipping down his cheeks before they raise their hands to their face, still holding the flower and covers their face with their hands.*

Child: Dammit…...D-dammit….

Mother: … Come now, we have work to do. I need to train you for your new role. The quicker you master it and complete the task I’ve assigned you, the quicker you can console him…. I don't mean to hurt you both, but...

Child: ….I understand…..I….hate it but I….understand. If I’m to protect him, I can’t falter…. *Taking a deep breath, they nod, gently laying the flower to one side as if it was precious before getting into stance* I’ll master this before this evening. I refuse to leave this unsettled. So, begin.

*She looks at them silently, a twinge of sadness in her eyes. She breaths slow  before raising her presence again.*

Mother: Now, MATCH YOUR PRESENCE WITH MINE!!!

*A Few hours role by the boy finishes fashioning his armor and quickly fetches his blades before leaving both his furry companion alone in the room.*

*He slowly stands at the entrance of his mothers temple, sending a servant to call for his lover. After a short amount of time, a somewhat tired Child comes to the entrance, eyes widening slightly as the Child sees who is waiting for them. Quietly, they whisper the boy’s name*

*The boys eyes are slightly glazed, but, for the most part, void of emotion. He unsheathes his blades slowly, the scraping sound alerts passerbys. And, slowly, a crowd gathers.

Boy 1: Hello, my love. I hope you’ve had an enjoyable time with mother?

*He smiles and spits her name out like a curse.*

Child: *Tries not to flinch, but straightens* You know that I wasn’t doing this because I enjoy hurting you. But I already have a feeling you won’t let me explain this time….As if this is always my fault….*Screwing up his eyes* Are you going to kill me for this? I won’t stop you, if you feel that my life is forfeit. But my desire to protect you is not something I can regret.

Boy 1: Kill you…? Why would I kill you, my love? My feelings are too strong to end your life.

*He throws one of his blades down at the child's feet, before correcting his stance.*

Boy 1: I understand why you have to go, but I won't accept it! Not now, not ever…. Not unless you beat me. I WON'T LET YOU LEAVE ME!!! I don't care if it’s her orders. If you are to go, then fight me for the right to go! Now, fight me!!!!

Child:.....Is there….truly no other way?

Boy: I won't let you go without a fight… No, I… I  won't let you go, figuratively or literally. And I’ll do it in front of her temple, to show her how serious I am about this. About you, my love. I'm not a weak child anymore! I wish to protect you, too. With what little power I have, I will fight until I can no longer stand! So, it’s ok… Pick up your sword, my love, and fight me!

Child: *Takes a deep breath, before nodding* I understand. Know that I can’t hold back in this case, but…. *looks at the boy with a sad smile* Is it selfish of me that, in my heart, I hope that you will win?

*The boy returns the smile, holding back his tears. And internally telling himself that he can't be a child coddled by his lover anymore.*

Boy 1: You better not hold back, I won't forgive you if you throw the fight, my love. I won’t lose!

Child: Likewise, Give this everything you have. Show me your resolve. Will it overcome my desire to protect you? *takes ahold of the sword that had been thrown at their feet, getting into stance* Prepare yourself!

*Two hours come and go.*

Passerby 1: Are they really doing this ?

Passerby 2: Aren't they supposed to be lovers? Why are they fighting?

Boy 2: Because… they’ve been pushed in a corner… Mother...

Passerby 1:  I think this will be over soon. He’s getting tired now, look?

Passerby 3: Sad, and even after all that. I guess it was all talk, after all… pathetic.

Passerby 1: I know, right? Well, he’s going up against a war god, right? What was he thinking???

Boy 2: Shut UP! Big Brother’s gonna win… he will….

*As if on cue, Boy 1 collapses, a single tear falls as he hits the ground.*

Child: …..It….would seem that this battle is over…*Closes their eyes, grieving* Forgive me….my love….
Boy 1: N-no, I can… I can still fight… I can’t lose, not now… why, why, why?!

*His tears seem to flow like an endless river, trying to figure out how he lost and, realising the implications, his body give out and he surrenders to the darkness. As his vision goes black, his body is caught by the Child, who sorrowfully cradles the boy in their arms.*

Child: *Pressing their forehead against the boy’s* I’m sorry…..

Taking a breath, the child picks up the boy carefully in their arms, before looking to the crowd, seeing the boy’s brother standing there*

Child: Would you mind….taking care of the weaponry, please? I wish to….rectify what I have done.

Boy 2: Brother…..lost….*Taking a shaky breath before steeling himself* I…..I will…..but you…..you better fix this! I won’t forgive you if you don't!

*The Child silently nods before leaving, carrying Boy 1 carefully in their arms towards their room once more. Gently laying him on the bed, the child gathers together things to treat the boy;s wounds. Gently, the Child begins to clean and bandage each of the wounds that he had taken due to the battle, ignoring the wounds that they, themselves, had taken in return*

*The boy gently stirs before waking up, staring up silently at is lover.*

Boy 1: I'm sorry… You’re hurt because of me…. I promise, I won't ever go against you again, my... I’m sorry… I’m so, so sorry.

*The boy quietly reaches for the ointments to care for his lover.*

Child: *Shakes their head and gently stops the Boy from reaching for the ointments* No. This is my penitence. I know that part of this isn’t my fault, but at the same time, it’s because of my position in this war that I seem to bring you more pain than I’ve ever wanted. These wounds are nothing in comparison to that.

Boy 1: No... No, it's not your fault at all! I… I just need to grow up. I’m not a child anymore and it’s my selfishness that causes these problems. So, she's right; I call myself a soldier and look at the way I’ve reacted. I’m pathetic. I can't even control myself - how do I expect to be your soldier, let alone to ask for your ha… I'm not worthy to be a soldier, let alone your lover. So I won't fight this anymore. I’ll behave. I’ll be a pawn to her and I won't stand in your way… never again, I promise this to you.

Child: *Gently calls his name before reaching over to take both of the boy’s hands* You could never be unworthy of me. And you should never think of yourself as a pawn. You mean so much more to me than that and, as I told you before, I fight so that one day we may have a future together, without the pain of war, without the separation. You have never held me back, my love. You have always been my driving force. You are what has kept me strong all this time.

*Gently, the child reaches up to brush the corner of the boy’s eyes*

Child: But at the same time, I can’t say that your resolve is a bad thing either. You wanted to join me on the front lines, correct? So that you can protect me, as I protect you? Then….See this not as a defeat, but instead see it as a beginning. Use this so that you can become strong and join me. And I, too, will use this in order to make sure that I will; never bring such harm to you again. I love you [Boy 1’s name], and all I want is for you to be able to smile. And, when it’s all over, and we both stand victorious over our enemy, then we can truly live in peace. So, please, become a soldier, fight with all you have, but never lose what makes you, you. Because if anything, it is I that is unworthy of you, my light.

Boy 1: My... my...

*The boy struggles to from sentences, only managing to call out his lover's name, holding onto them and sobbing quietly to himself, the little composure he had fading into nothing. On the other side of the door, Boy 2 heads in the direction of his mother’s chamber.

Boy 2: Mother... that was cruel….

Mother:  I know but it had to be done. For both of them to grow into the young people I know they're capable of being.

Boy 2: Even so, it was a gamble. It could have broken them apart and, well, you know what He’s been doing, trying to twist people. If things had gone wrong, it could have just given Him a foothold. Are…..are you sure that it was a good idea? I don’t want to lose big brother. I don’t want to lose either of them….

Mother: Do you think that their feelings are that weak as to falter to something like this? If that were so, then he wouldn't have gone all the way to find this.

*She holds out the newly repaired flower. It seems to glow in her hands.*

Boy 2: What’s so special about that flower, other than it’s meaning?

Mother: It has another meaning… Hope of a new beginning. And I believe that's what they need the most. They were getting way to comfortable with their current situation, but...

*She plucks a flower from her table, and ties it with a ribbon form her hair.*

Mother: For now, until the time comes, I won't disturb them. Not yet.

Boy 2: I….I hope so. They’re always happy when they’re together. If they’re happy, I’m happy too. But….um….do you think that we can stop the other bosses from bugging them for five months? Cause I don’t think we’ll be able to separate them other than occasionally for training, you know?

*She chuckles slightly, before snapping her fingers, sending the bouquet on its journey to the two lovers.*

Mother: As you wish, little one.

*Meanwhile, back in the bedroom, the Child has finally finished bandaging up Boy 1’s wounds after their tender moment, and gently cradles the boy in their arms, eyes closed, as if trying to memorise the feel of their lover through every sense but sight. Finally, after a long moment, the Child breaks the silence*

Child: ...Do your injuries feel any better?

Boy 1: I should be the one asking you that, here.

*The boy’s body glows, transferring a soft golden light to his lover, who seems to relax slightly after a while.

Boy 1: It's a healing spell; one of the elders taught me while you were away. They said it might come in handy one day, but I never thought I would have to use it like this.

Child: And I get a live demonstration. I’m honoured. If I had known about such a skill, I would have begged the elders to have taught me as well. The amount of injuries that could have been avoided…..Maybe I can ask for you to be my personal healer *teasing smile* I wouldn’t mind getting regular check ups with you, love.

*The boy’s cheeks tinge pink while reaching out to his lover. There’s a gentle knock at the door.*

Boy1: They really should add parion of flirts to your resume… jeez.

Child: Why not? I appear to be patron of many things lately. What’s one more? It closely relates to one of my jobs anyway. One more thing to hold over Bossy boy, wouldn’t you say? Could you imagine his face if I told him I was a patron for yet another thing?

*The boy chuckles and buries his face in his lovers chest. The knock on the door gets lowder. The boy huffs in disappointment.*

Boy1: What now? Can't we get a moment’s peace? Come in!!!

*In tots a furry little companion with a bouquet in its mouth. The boy's eyes widen.*

Child: Those flowers…..are they….?

Boy 1: Ah… Um… I… it's not like I picked them or anything, and it's not like I went to mother's chamber to ask for her blessing before I gave them to you… um, um…

*He dashes under the covers, cocooning himself in the blanks in a somewhat familiar fashion.*

Child: *Looks down at the boy with a smile on their face and a blush on their cheeks* ….Have I ever told you just how much I love you?

Boy 1: I love you, too

*He climbs out of the covers, his face a brilliant rouge colour to it.*

Boy 1: Before we’re interrupted again, I want to ask you… my.. My love.. Will you… will you.. M..maaa…. Damn, why can I get it out?

Child: I know what you want to say. In fact, you’ve actually asked me before, but were in no state for me to reply. Let me finally say it now. *Gently threading their fingers through his hair* My love, with all my heart, I wish to tie us together, be it through marriage, or the red threads of fate. I wish to remain with you, now and always, forever.

Boy 1: I’m so happy! I love you, I love you so much!

Child: Then I promise, once my mission is over, You’ll be mine, and I will be yours. No matter what happens. Until the end of time.

{Transition}

Voice: Sir? Sir, wake up. We’re almost at our destination.

???: ….I….see. *Rubbing his eyes blearily, a slightly troubled expression on his face*

Voice: Did you have a bad dream, sir?

???: Bad….? You know I….really aren’t sure...

[End.]

No comments:

Post a Comment