Sunday 6 November 2016

Meeting With 'Mother' Part 4: The Gift



--- Last Time ---

Child: *Eyes softening with quiet joy and deep affection, the child closes their eyes and nuzzles closer* When the war is over, I will. My answer will always be yes, if it’s for you. Forever and ever….

*The peaceful night passes quickly and quietly, leading one to a brighter day, with a promise in both their hearts and rejuvenated spirits, to guide them onto a better future.*

--- Unknown Location ---

*A gentle ray of morning light dances throughout the room and the faint chatter of birds gently wake up the sleeping child. Lazily, their eyes widen to the sight of the gently stirring bundle in their arms.

Child: *Chuckling softly* One….Two….Three…..Aaaaand…..

Boy 1: Mmmmmmmn.  

*The boy cocoons himself in the blankets, trying to defy the day and struggling to stay in the realm of dreams. But to no avail - the nuisance stream of light is far too strong, wrenching him from his slumber.*

Child: *With a smile, nuzzling the boy’s neck* I honestly don’t know why you try, love. You know it never works. Will you not greet the morning with me?

*The boy’s eyes shoot open and a faint blush spread on his face, recollecting the previous night’s events. Again, he dive under the covers*

Boy 1: M-morning.

Child: Good Morning. It’s certainly a pleasure to wake to such a wonderful sight. Indeed, I find myself fascinated on all the things I missed whilst away, and yet you still do more things that I never realised I missed until I have them again.

*Gently, the Child tugs up the covers slightly in order to find the Boy hidden inside, offering a closed eyed smile*

Child: Come on, there’s no need to hide, you know? How am I to do what I promised if you hide from me?

Boy: SHIELD thine eyes! I do not want to be seen…

*The boy snaches the cover to sheld him self*

Boy 1: I’m no beauty, so this body is nothing to look at… plus… I'm embarrassed…

Child: *Gently pulls the corner of the sheets up once more* Why on earth would you think that? Have I so failed to convince you that of all the beauty in the world, yours is the most divine in my eyes? Also, there is no reason to be embarrassed. You are the only person I would ever wish to see at any point of the day in such a manner, as I would only wish for you to see the same. Open your eyes and look into mine, if you need to see the extent of my sincerity.

*The boy gently opens his eyes, trembling slightly*

Boy: Compared to the other beauties of this realm, I'm far too plain; barely elegant enough to be held up to my name sake. And you, my love… Well, they do say love is blind. You must be doubly so.

Child: Then, if that is the case, I will happily be without my eyes, if it means that you would remain by my side. Even if I were to be blind and deaf, the light of your love and the call of your soul to mine will still reach my heart. I care not for others, be they supposedly more ‘beautiful’ or not. They still hold no candle to what you mean to me. You are all I need.

Boy 1: *Sigh* How can you be so…? In the morning... Jeez, you really are a smooth talker, my love.

Child: *Chuckles as he nuzzles against the boy again* Mm, perhaps. Though my words are only for you. Though, speaking of things for you, there was something I had been meaning to give to you, before we became….Ah….distracted. Perhaps you would like to join me from outside of your fortress of comfort-tude - I wish to give my gift to you.

*Boy 1 poking his head out from the covers.*

Boy 1: But I have nothing to give you in return?

Child: Oh, believe me, this gift is something that will benefit the both of us. Did you gain the last letter that I sent to you while I was still on the front lines? I had, in that letter, detailed that I created a way that the two of us could communicate to each other, even over distance, without the long wait while messages are to be delivered, as if I were in the same room as you.

*Boy 1 bolts up.*

Boy 1: Yes, my love, I received it, but it puzzled me. Is such a way is possible???!!!

Child: Indeed. You know that I have my messengers. I just happened to…..modify one, to an extent. Indeed, it still has its own will, but I created a deeper connection to it, to allow for this to occur. Now, arms out and close your eyes, love.

*Boy 1 obediently follows the child's orders waiting a few second to receive the feel of a little weight and silk like fur in his arms.*

Boy 1: Aw! So cute!!!!

*He gently patted the small creature in his arms.*

Child: Thank you. I did my best. Still, I have yet to give him a name. I felt that the honour should fall to you. Through our furry friend here, I will be able to experience what he does. I may see through his eyes, speak through him to you. Not to say he doesn’t have his own will, but we are tied closely, and he is happy to allow this as well. In my absence, he will be your companion, no matter what happens. He is my gift to you.

*Happy tears well up in boy 1’s eyes and a happy grin is graced on his lips.*

Boy 1: This is the best gift you’ve ever given me! Thank you…. *Sniff* I’m so happy!

Child: *Stares at Boy 1’s face for a long moment in quiet awe, before coughing into a hand, managing to pull their eyes away from his face, a slight hint of pink to their cheeks* Ah…..such a face….My heart almost stopped. That my gift managed to bring such a face to light….I hadn’t thought that I could make you so happy. And that I was so lucky to see such a face….Is it possible for me to fall for you all over again?

*Boy 1 blushes slightly, looking down at his gift a shy smile appears.*

Boy 1: I said it once, I’ll say it several times more: ‘Smooth talker.’

*The boy gently begins scratching the ear of his new companion… but then something wonderful happens.*

Child: Ngh! *Twitches slightly, before forcing their posture straight, cheeks tinging further pink.* Ah….Perhaps….Um...when I am not so close, yes? Distance mutes things a little….

*Stars twinkle in the boy's eyes as realization swirls though his mind, a semi sadistic smile creeps onto his face.*

Boy: Hmm? What was what… happened, my love?

*He reaches out to do the action again.*

Child: *Snatches up the hand quickly* Ah, what did I do to receive such a trickster as a lover? I should have known that you would only use such power for evil. I have corrupted you. What will your Mother think of me for doing such a thing? But please, for my sanity…..whatever remains of my sanity, before you snark, my dear - I beg of you not to abuse my gift!

*The boy chuckled sweetly*

Boy: Abuse? How rude. I will only love him, snuggle him and give him my attention as I see fit. It's not my fault if you enjoy the petting I give my gift. No, I won't deprive you of my affection, now will I, my new fluffy? *chu*

*The boy gently kisses the head of the fox.*

Child:  I believe I may have just given you the keys to Pandora’s box…..

Boy 1: Does that mean you have no hope, or am I your only hope?

Child: It could mean many things. And I have a distinct feeling that you will end up exploring all sides of that light shard by the time you are through. Oh very well, I perhaps should resign myself to having become such a masochist for you. Though I do ask that you won’t abuse this when we’re in a meeting. It’ll be distinctly difficult to shoot down any other idiocies that the so called ‘leader’ might decide to spout if I’m too distracted by ear scratches.

*Boy 1 gently put down the fox, which scurries off to rest by the fireplace, pushing down his lover and resting his head on their arm.*

Boy 1: I promise I will be a good boy. I’ll try not to distract you…. So you better succeed that dummy head so he won't have power over you, ok?

Child: Oh, please, have some faith in me. He has not been able to get anything over me since we first met. He merely shows himself to be a petulant child, even when I was the one who physically was a child. Believe me, I shall certainly not allow him to pass any laws that are unfitting for our people. Even if I, myself, do not hold his position, it is certainly easier to play guide and get the same results. It is startlingly easy to manipulate him at times, even without trying. Funny, is it not? It is not my specialty to do such things, but he makes it so easy. I almost wish for more of a challenge.

Boy 1: *Chuckle* I know you can do it, my love. And, don't worry, when I finally become a full fledged soldier, I’ll give you more than enough of a challenge, in one way or another.

Child: Ah, then I will look forwards to that day. If I didn’t miss everything about you anyway, I would miss your wit the most. To engage you in a battle of wits would be most rewarding. And, who knows: Maybe we can also tag team our ‘brilliant’ leader. If nothing else it would be fun to rile him up more. It is rather shocking he is not already a laughing stock, but between the two of us, I would not be surprised if he would prefer vacation time in the depths of Tartarus.

Boy 1: I like this dark side to you. It ‘excites me.’

Child: *Laughs* Ah, perhaps I should endeavour to indulge in my darker side more often. I am certain our ‘leader’ will give me more than enough of an opportunity. Though, if you like it that much….*cups Boy 1’s cheek* perhaps I can….play with the role, all for you.

Boy: I think I’d like th-

*There a knock at the door interrupting the two*

Servant boy: Ah, um… Excuse me, but Mother wants to speak with you [Child’s name]

Child: Ah, it would seem that I am being called for already. My my, I already appear to be popular today.

Boy 1: *Mutters* It's not just today... *Sigh* Just when it was getting good, you're taken away…. AGAIN! I'm not gonna talk to mum today for this.

Child: Then, how about we go somewhere for lunch? I wish for my ‘down time’ to be relaxing after all. And I find that I hope for my time to be spent with you. We can disappear for a while, without being interrupted. Indeed, if you wish, you can even see just what my gift you you can do, as well. Would this be agreeable, love?

Boy 1: Maybe if you seal that as a promise.

*The boy tilts his head up and closes his eyes.*

Child: That is something I find to be agreeable. *Leans in and gives Boy 1 a long, slow kiss. Eventually, the Child pulls back, hand cupping Boy 1’s cheek* This is my promise to you, my love.

Boy 1: You best be off, then. Shouldn't keep mother waiting. And besides, I need to go attend to matters, as well. There's something I need to ask of you, but not now - when we meet for lunch, Ok?  

Child: I will be waiting eagerly, then.

*With one last kiss to Boy 1’s cheek, the Child makes tair way to the servant, who had been doing their best not to watch the intimate byplay between the two lovers. The Child offers a pleasant smile.*

Child: Well then, please lead the way, my friend.

*After a time they arrive at Mother's chamber. Mother, barely holding a grin back, lounging on her throne-chair, waves the child in.

Child: Ah, wonderful to see you as always. Have you been having a pleasant morning so far?

*Barely holding her composure, she feebly attempts to hold back her pending laughter.*

Mother: Why do I feel as if that greeting is underlined with another phrase? Perhaps “You have been scheming this all along. Why would you feel the need to interrupt us when we were leading to something interesting? This better be important!”

Child: *Giving a closed eyed smile which seems to hide a darker meaning, despite otherwise seeming to be friendly* Oh? I have no idea what you could be implying, My Lady. Why would I be thinking such terrible things to your illustrious self? I do believe that all I did was great you. Have I earned your ire in some way to make you believe that I would have such vulgar feelings in regards to meeting you this morning?

Mother: Pft! Hahah! My child, have you forgotten whom it is that raised you? Haha, but my revenge stops here. Though I do have some business that requires your attention.

Child: *Becoming a little more serious* What business would that be, Mother?

Mother: I'm giving you a… promotion, so to speak. You are ninteen now… old enough to be promoted to a higher position, but…. I won't need you to leave this moment. I need you well rested for now. But…

*She hands him a series of documents and a new weapon.*

Mother: In five months time, I will need you to go on a mission for me. It should take about three years at most. That boy should have finished blooming by then. I will see to his training myself, so he is ready to assist you when the time comes.

Child: ...What…? But….I….*Swallows for a moment, before closing their eyes and taking a breath* ….You know that he will be unhappy with you for a long time…..But that you would gift me with a weapon like this….For what mission do you have assigned to me that would mean I would need one? A mission that will take three years to fulfil, no less?

Mother:.....

*She stay silent, her true presence bringing life to the hollow temple making tremors in the earth.*

Mother: I do not believe I need to clarify myself to you, child. I’ve given you the task that you must fulfil as a soldier; you only need to follow my command. Nothing more.

*Her icy gaze falls upon the child.*

Child: *Stares back in determination* You do not need to throw around your power. I understand that I have a job to do, and I will fulfil that job. So long as you, too, understand your own personal sacrifices in order to do this, then I will say no more. However, that does not mean that I forfeit the right to question. In this case, I am, indeed, a soldier. But unless I know what exactly you wish to accomplish on this mission, how am I top perform to the best of my abilities.

*Sighing, the Child steps forwards.*

Child: If we forget who we are, underneath the front of ‘Soldier’ or ‘Leader’, then we will only lose ourselves. If that happens, how would this make us any different from the forces we face? Is it so bad that I show concern, for my loved ones? That I worry for the relationship between a mother and son, when I love that boy with all my heart, and respect that mother just as much?

*Her presence wavers slightly before dissipating, almost completely. Her eyes move to the water in front of her. The image in the water begins to clear. Small waves of an opposing army begins to gather and the slaughter of the innocent is seen for miles.*

Mother: It's a dirty game he’s playing… his trying to create despair in the hearts of men, and blood lust in the souls of the mystic; eventually the two will collide and the order that I have spent eons creating will come undone.

Child: And this mission revolves around His tactics. What do you hope for me to do? Skilled I may be, but even I could not counteract this in the hearts of so many people.

Mother: That's where the sword comes into play: It has the power to soften the hearts of men and calm the souls of the mystic enough for them to see reason. And, when things have become slightly more manageable, the ‘clan’ I have created is there in place to seal the deal. It will take time for things to smooth over, a few years at best.

Child: I see….An interesting weapon it is. Rather than severing bonds, it instead binds them, in a way. Very well, I will be sure to fulfil this mission. Though, you say you wish for me to rest, first. How long until I must take this mission?

Mother: ‘Five months time’, and wouldn't you like me to teach you how to use the sword? It won't work unless you treat it in a certain way.

Child: If I am to use it as intended, then it would be foolish of me not to be taught how to use it, unless me waving it around will just make the enemy laugh themselves into giving up their ‘dark ways’.

*She chuckles slightly*

Mother: First, raise your presence try to match mine the best you can. Now, DRAW THE BLADE!!!!

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment