Sunday 8 October 2017

Written Memories Pt 2



*Training for Inari, despite how it might seem to others, was generally productive. It either helped the child to understand their duties - especially considering the amount that the young godling had - or it helped them to increase their control. After all, being a god wasn’t always about being the most flashy with one’s abilities. As such, rather satisfied with their progress, Inari elegantly made their way down the hallway of the temple, pausing only to brush a few loose strands of hair behind their ear as a breeze from an open window blew it into their face.

It was a nice day out. The sun was shining overhead, the breeze was warm and, along with the cheerful twittering of birds, the sound of laughing children reached the shinto god’s ears. Curiously, they approached the window, crossing their arms and leaned forwards. The temple grounds were rather expansive, but it wasn’t difficult to find the various children running around. Some appeared to be playing tag, while another group were sitting in the grass making daisy chains and laughing together. What drew Inari the most, however, was a few oddities on their persons. Similar to Rozyus, whom they had met the day before, it seemed that these children were what were known as ‘Half Breeds’ by the general populous - those born of two races.

Absently, Inari scanned the group, looking for any sign of familiar fuzzy ears or hauntingly beautiful eyes, but it seemed that, wherever Rozyus was, he was not among those currently playing in the garden.*

Inari [Inner Thoughts]: That’s a shame. I was hoping to be able to see him again. Though perhaps Mother is being a little cautious, after everything. Or maybe he just dislikes large crowds? He didn’t seem the type to enjoy having a lot of attention on him. A little too careful for that….

Voice: Heeeeeeeeeeeey! Did you go near explosions today or something? Or do I actually need to cause a storm to get you to pay attention? I’m feeling lonely here. My Bro-Sis is ignoring me…..

*Flinching slightly in surprise, Inari whipped around to see a young god, perhaps only a little older than themselves, pouting petulantly, though Inari could tell that the other god was merely teasing.*

Inari: No no, explosions are too commonplace with you around, Susanoo.

Susanoo: Really? I guess I need to try something new out. Maybe a bit of flooding. I bet I could get Tsukuyomi squeal like a girl by flooding his room. I can just blame it on his powers over the moon.

Inari: One of these days, your siblings will lynch you.

Susanoo *Laughing* They’d have to catch me first!

*Inari chuckled at their friend, leaning back against the window. Curious to see what had his friend’s attention, the other god moved beside him*

Susanoo:....Huh. I didn’t realise that it was a play day. What’s got your attention down there? Hoping to add being a patron of Half-Blood children to your roster as well?

Inari: Isn’t Mother their patron? But no, that’s not it. I was just looking for someone.

Susanoo: Who?

Inari: *Small smile* Just….someone who I got on with pretty well. You’d like him, I think.

*Absently, the Fox God informed their friend about the boy they had met the day before, how they had stepped in to interrupt Zeus from beating up a child a little younger than themselves, how they had managed to get around the boy’s shyness, how they had made friends with Rozyus, with Parame’s blessings*

Susanoo: Ah, I had heard that that upstart went and got himself on Parame-sama’s...list. So it was because he decided to throw his anger at the wrong target this time, huh? Considering that it’s pretty well known that Parame-sama’s got a Half-Blood son, you’d have thought he’d have been a bit more careful than beating one up right in the middle of Her domain.

Inari: For the guy that helped to overthrow titans, he is sometimes a little short sighted. While that makes him fun to tease, Zeusy still has a long way to go.

Susanoo: Wooooow, you sound old there.

Inari: Don’t need to be old to have more wisdom than the rock the titan’s thought he was.

Susanoo: Ouch, burn!

Inari: Anyway, since Zeusy’s probably going to be tied up in trying to get himself unbanished from the temple for a while, that means you won’t have to get into a lightning throwing contest for a while-

Susanoo: Shame. That was the only part of seeing him I liked.

Inari: -so one of these days, why don’t you meet Rozyus with me? I’d have to give him the heads up first, so he doesn’t freak out at a high end god coming to visit, but what do you think?

Susanoo: Well, this kid has your attention. Considering how much attention you prefer to give the mortal realm than the divine one, that has to say something. So sure. I’ll look forwards to it. Give me the heads up when I can come visit. I’ll make sure I’m not causing Tsukuyomi and Amaterasu to go into a tizzy that day.

Inari: It’s a date then.

Susanoo: Trying to get your fans jealous there?

Inari: *Innocent expression* Me? I would never do such a thing!

*Laughing, Susanoo merely clapped the other god on the back, ruffled their hair - to Inari’s weak protest - before heading off with a bounce in his step down the hall with a backwards wave. The Fox God rolled their eyes, sorting out their hair once again. As they tied it back into place once more, Inari glanced down at the gardens once more, thoughtfully*

Inari: Now….where would my little flower be hiding….?

*The sun had now fully risen in the sky, illuminating the land in a golden glow, the morning dew glistening like precious stones, causing the forest to seem far more vibrant than usual. Part of this was due to the woodland fairies governing the Great Temple Grounds rejuvenating the lands in their wake. 

They had all but finished their duties for the morning - that is, until they stumbled upon a sleeping pup in curled up by a wisteria, a small container of freshly picked berries and a neatly tucked away book concealed in a statue

Rather than be annoyed that their work was disturbed, the fairies were rather amused. The child seemed entertaining - it was apparent that the child had tired themselves out hunting for specific berries - the best ones did take a lot of time and effort to find.

Was he lost? Their location was off the path very few dared to tread when entering the forest. For now, they would watch over the child. Once it had awakened, they would send it on its way, for this child must have been one of ‘Her’ children.  Saying that, the child’s hair did seem tempting… far too tempting not to decorate….

Meanwhile, seeing that merely looking out of the window wouldn’t get them any closer to finding the boy from the day before, Inari had instead made their way down to the playing children. After sweet talking them for a while, Inari was pointed towards the forest, informed that Rozyus had gone that way early in the morning to pick berries. With a smile of thanks, Inari, not particularly caring that their robes were a little damp from the dew, made their way down the rough path, a fox summoned to act as a guide. This land, after all, was not land touched by their hand, and they didn’t want to risk becoming lost and missing Rozyus completely. Thankfully, the fox soon caught the boy’s scent and lead their master right to where the pup himself was curled up, fast asleep just off the pathway. More amusingly was the fae creatures that were weaving flowers into the boy’s locks and braiding the hair into interesting patterns. It was amazing that he had yet to wake up yet*

Inari: Ah, forgive me, friends. I hope you don’t mind if I interrupt your artful hairdressing skills. I was hoping to spend some time with my friend. Would you rather us allow you to finish your work here? Or would we be permitted to rest here a little longer?

*The fairies dance around the pair before they fluttered away, giving the two time alone. Gently, Inari stroked the boy's cheek, prompting the boy's tail to feebly wag while he nuzzled into the warmth of the god’s hand, still teetering on the edge of slumber and consciousness*

Inari: Heh….almost like playing with the kits...Wakey wakey, Rozyus. It’s a little damp to be having a nap here right now. Don’t you want to say hello to me? I’d like to spend time with you again, friend.

Rozyus: Nnn...

*The boy stirred slightly, but refused to wake, instead tugging at the god’s sleeve, bringing them closer to him. Lightly laughing, Inari shifted from a crouch to sit beside the boy instead, lightly tickling the pup’s side.*

Inari: Rooooooooozy! Wakey wakey!

Rozyous: *Weak giggling and sleepy tone* No, no…let’s sleep... *Hug* ...Let’s sleep….

Inari: Ah, but it’s too damp to get good enough sleep. White is difficult to get mud out of, silly. The Washer-spirits would skin me alive if I made their work harder for them when I’m not actually doing agriculture today.

*The Boy’s eyes fluttered slightly, finally away in a somewhat dazed state.*

Rozyus: …?.... Hm? Where am…. Oh, I remember…. *Blink blink, yawn* Something smells nice… Oh!!

*Looking around, the boy finally caught sight of the one sitting beside him. A faint pink flushed across his cheeks and he stumbled backwards almost falling.*

Rozyus: Oh! I’m sorry! One such as I was so close to you! I’ve soiled you with my touch, I apologize I...I!  

Inari: The only soil on me is from the ground, not you.

*Gently, Inari petted the boy’s head with a smile*

Inari: I’m happy to see you again, Rozyus! I had fun when we spent time together yesterday, so I was hoping you wouldn’t mind me imposing on you again today. Though I understand if you’re a little busy resting - you look as though you’ve had a busy morning.

*Absently looking around, Inari hummed, closing their eyes*

Inari: This is a nice spot. I can see why you’d want to come here. The nature is much different from that I’m tied to. It’s wilder, somehow. The fae are quite friendly, too. Although I’d be careful brushing your hair later - you might get a few knots if you’re not expecting the braids and flowers. Though not quite as fitting as a rodessa, flowers suit you.

Rozyus: *Blush harder* Y-you NEED to get your eyes tested! One such as I... only suits the shadows…. Nothing more…Only goddesses and you suit beauties. *Looks down* Oh, the berries have not been eaten by the creatures of the forest. That's good. *Tone perks up* I shall give them to the chef who is preparing today's first meal. If I'm lucky, my brothers and sisters will be able to enjoy them. And, if there's are scraps left, then I’ll have those. *Happy smile*

Inari: Well, I think that it suits you, and, if my opinion really is that important, then you have to agree with me, right?

*Inari winks at the boy, before considering what the other had said*

Inari: Hm….I have an idea. Why don’t we ask the cooks to make a bunch of different pies for everyone? Or maybe I can offer some rice, and we can make mochi for you and your brothers and sisters to share? That way, not only do your family get to eat the berries, but you get some as well. I’d like to share some more of the foods of my land with you. Since I’m a Rice God as well as a god of foxes, it certainly won’t be too much work to offer the rice. I think you and your family will love it, especially with those berries you picked.

Rozyus: I-I couldnt… I need to provide for them myself…. I'm not a fully fledged god… but I am their prince… It's my duty to look after them. Small and as foul as I am, I'm still their leader. I need to be strong for them. I must provide for them, even if that means me going without…. I'm sorry.

Inari: You are still providing for them, though. The berries are the best bit after all! But it’s also my duty as an agricultural god to help feed people. Not to mention that I liked meeting some of your siblings when I was coming to find you. They’re all so cute! They get on well with my foxes, too.

*They lean in with a stage whisper*

Inari: Don’t tell them, though, but you’re still my favorite.

*With a grin, Inari stands up once more*

Inari: Anyway, if you’re so insistent that a god must be right, then I think that you don’t need to argue. I want to give a gift to my newest friends, so we can all have fun!

*The Boy blinked twice at the older child’s ‘loophole’ logic. It made the pink return to his cheeks once more as he relaxed and smiled, tugging on the child silk robes in a motion to get the child to lean forward.*

Inari: Hm? What’s wrong?

*The boy stood on the tips of his toes. Arms arround the older god, he pecked them on the cheek and rubbing noses before pulling away embarrassed. His eyes glistening slightly as the morning light sparkled, they both blushed while he pulled away.*

Rozyus: T-thank you. I’m sorry that is all I can offer to you at this time… so that was a token of my appreciation…

*Blinking in surprise for a moment, Inari smiled, a slight hint of pink scattering across their nose*

Inari: Well….I appreciate it very much! A-anyway

*Holding out their hand, they motion for Rozyus to take it*

Inari: Shall we head back then? Maybe once we’ve got your siblings fed and we’ve eaten too, you can show me around some other nice places like this, too? I’ll have to return the favour as well, of course, but I think it’ll be fun to explore each others’ world together.

*The boy took the god's hand like a delicate maiden, humming to himself as he got to his feet. The boy gathered his things as they set off together back home to the temple grounds. A short time after the two had returned, there were whispers among the gods that the two were seen together. The whispers began to turn to speculation as the two reached the kitchens.*

Rozyus: .... Maybe we shouldn't be together during daylight…. Your ‘Name’ maybe slandered by the sheer thought of us sharing the same steps. *Walks a few paces slower.*

Inari: If it is, then it is. Honestly, I don’t mind. My friend Susanoo doesn’t mind either, and Mother certainly doesn’t mind. Considering that the mortals who worship me probably wouldn’t care either way considering how much they look to me for, I honestly don’t see why I have anything to worry about. If anyone else is so put off about my choice of company, then they are not people worth knowing.

*Inari tightens their grip slightly, not painfully, just enough to let Rozyus know that they weren’t going to let Rozyus think less of himself*

Inari: Besides, you are a prince. Chin up, my friend. Be proud of who you are. I know that I am certainly proud to have a friend as selfless as you.

Rozyus:.... You’re wrong…. A greedy being such as I….I am anything but selfless. I wish to monopolise a small amount of your time, even though I know it’s wrong. And that title; Prince it is a fool’s crown. Nothing more. That is why I shouldn't walk with you… just look at us.

*Rozyus looked at the window the two were visible as night and day. A being adorned with fine silk, precious gems with a divine aura, and the other clothed in tattered rags, a hood in which shielded them from the world… in more way than one. Despite this, the god seemed to remain unfazed - or at least didn’t seem to understand the boy’s point.*

Rozyus: *Sigh* Never mind, lets go. The chef is waiting.

*Later, when the two had just returned from the kitchen and were now seated in the opposite ends of the dining hall, the meal in front of the young god looked divine, for lack of a better word. He peered across the room were some of the older half breeds were waiting to be fed*

God 1: Egh… tell me again why we have to share our feast hall with vermin?

Goddess 1: Tell me about it. If I wanted to eat with rats, I would eat by the stables.

*A few of the children looked visibly hurt by the remarks*

Goddess 2: Gosh, just the sight of them. Makes me lose my appetite. Can you believe that some of us feel ‘pity’ on those things?

God & Goddesses 1: Hahahaha!

God 1: Can you imagine, there was actually a younger god who was seen with one of those vermin!

*A hooded child, overhearing the conversation, began to ussher the children out of the hall into another room, once they had there portions. It seemed that the vulgar words had gotten to them too. Not wanting the children to listen further, he took his portion of bread, water and their new snack and left with haste.*

Goddess: Yuck! It's probably because they're young and stupid - they probably don't know what ‘they’ are. Once someone educates them, I'm sure they won't do it again. Hahahah.

*All of a sudden, there was a heavy aura in the room that seemed as if a physical feeling of death had suddenly descended upon them. Despite the fact that Inari Okami was not, in fact, a death god, there were reasons why Warriors and Merchants had chose them as their patron god. The Fox God had tried to be patient, to distract the children with the food that Rozuys and Inari had encouraged the kitchens to make for the half blood children, however, the gods works had not only hurt the children, and Rozyus, but had finally, finally broken the Fox God’s patience.

With a smile that was less happy and more a show of gleaming vulpine fangs of a fox that was about to consume its prey, Inari seemed to appear in front of the gossipmonger, a fan (which in the light one could make out the blades within if one looked just right) held up near their lips*

Inari: Oh, an education, do I need? How funny, when it would appear that the ones who might need an education would be the three of you. Hm…..Ah, I almost didn’t recognise you. Lesser gods as you are. Only a single job each, and hardly important. That must be why you’re so eager to say such things within Parame-sama’s halls? You must how care at all if your existence was erased by fate for saying such things, especially considering Her views on this. Of course, you are welcome to try and…..what was the words…..’educate me’, however, I believe that if that is the case, then our lessons will be quite difficult. For you, that is. I’m told that I can be a rather difficult student when I am forced to listen to bullshit, but you’re welcome to try.

*The three seem to cower art the sight of the younger god. The younger being’s aura seemed to far surpass the combined trio’s, own. The dark aura only subsiding as a robed god placed a hand on their shoulder, temporarily snapping them out of their enraged state.*

Robed God: Indeed. Now, I assume you three have learned your lesson, no? While I cannot forbid you from speaking your mind, I would suggest you not speak such things in front of the children… *Darker tone* It is beneath a god to do so.

*The Figure removed the hood from himself and took out a quill and leather bound journal.*

Robed God: Unless you wish to be noted in this old book of mine? A being such as I can easily snuff out your light. Shall we try it out?

Trio: N-no, that’s not necessary! we won’t do it again! Promise! Sorry!

*The three scattered from sight and the robed god kneeled down so as to be eye level with the younger god.*

Robed God: Annoying, aren't they? Remember to keep your composure, especially when dealing with incompetent such as theirs. Oh! I have a message from your ‘Mother’ - you and that boy are to meet her before your next meal. She has something important to tell you. Now go to that flower. I believe he’s going to need you soon.

*Taking a few deep breaths, Inari did their best to regain their temper once again. While the smile had never left their face, the fact that they had let loose their aura like that, the urge to maim the people before them on a hair trigger had been close enough to let them know that the robed god was right. The God himself had a cool, soothing aura, That, along with the the gentle words, helped Inari to center themselves once again*

Inari: Apologies. That was a break in decorum. I’m certain that Amaterasu or mother will want to remind me of that. Thank you for stepping in, sir.

*Inari wasn’t entirely certain which god was before them. They were a little exhausted by the sheer ignorance of their fellow gods to really think more of it. For now, however, the man had brought a message to them, so they forced themselves to recall what the robed god had just said*

Inari: I’ll be sure to meet with Mother soon. Thank you, sir. Ah….would you mind pointing me in the direction Rozuys and the children went in, please?

Robed figure: There in a place where no one judges them, where they can be children, without fear of judging eyes. That is where you will find them.

Inari: Do you mean….there?

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment