Sunday 1 October 2017

From Today, You're An Agent, Pt 2


...While there are many that reside upon this plain, and many who have lived for eons before my existence came into being, there are times I fear that the eternity of life has blinded some to the change in wind. They say that power is something that can corrupt even the most gentle of people in the end. At times, I wonder if that is true even for those of time immemorial. However, if this is so, even with my own power, I am unable to ignore what I have been sensing. Is it due to my own age, perhaps? Or perhaps it is because there are yet others who have sensed the changes? Even amongst those blind to all but their own strengths, there are those who feel the same as I, amongst them, one whose judgement I trust absolutely. If She can sense the changing in the tides, then I can at least be justified in my own apprehension.

Yet in my concern, I worry for the future. What is it that causes the tension in the air, the unrest amongst mortals, the feel of a great shadow upon the horizon? It is my hope that perhaps the source might be neutralised before it can grow into something far darker, yet can that outcome be achieved when many of the elder gods refuse to listen to reason? Even when it’s not from the lips of a younger soul as myself, but from one who could be considered Mother to us all?

For now, all we can do is hope that the council of the pantheons might listen to reason, before the source of the turmoil becomes an untamable storm.

Despite these worries, there is something of the future that is a spot of brightness. I have met someone for the first time today who I have never met before. A new soul, not brought to existence through need, but born of a desire for a new birth. Is it wrong to feel that I helped in this? Even so, finally meeting him for the first time was exciting. Though people might scoff at him for his appearance, I see a soul of someone whose existence I’d be happy to share. Not to mention his ears are adorable. I admit that I have an abrasion to rub them and see what happens. My attendant accuses me of indulging in childish behavior, but when has one ever met a puppy and not wished to shower some form of affection upon them? Would he bat my hand away, or would he enjoy the sensation, similar to how my foxes enjoy the same? But beyond that, I feel that, even without the ears, this soul might be one who could see beyond station or ranks and might become a true friend to me. Despite my wishes for the darkened future to veer its course, I feel that if it allow me to be friends with this child, then I will be content

Rodessa: *Faint blush as she finishes reading the passage* Stupid… but that…that’s adorable.

Madam Povell: What is ‘adorable’?

*There was a moment of shock across the ‘older’ girl’s face for a moment. Before she regained her composure, Madam Povell had snatched the book that she had been reading from her at lightning speed and tucked it to her bag. The two had returned from their evening meal and were settling for the evening*

Rodessa: Why do you have a kid’s journal in your bag? Its funny how children think right? Gods and ‘n’ stuff?  Whoever wrote it seems like serious - too serious for a kid - but at the same time, there’s this cute, childlike innocence that pokes through… its-

Madam Povell: Pardon the interruption - you could read what was written within the book?

Rodessa: …?.... Uh… yea its written in english right? What have you suddenly forgotten how to read now?

Madam Povell: If it had been in english as you believed, then I might have felt insulted. However, you are very much mistaken.

*Taking the book out once again, she presents it back to Rodessa at an open page*

Madam Povell: Look at this one more time. Not at what is being said, but at the words themselves and tell me, does the script truly resemble english to you?

Rodessa: The… the hell what's up with the word they were in english a second ago… why these weird symbols now? What… what is this?

Madam Povell: Hm….I do wonder about that. It seems that when you are focusing on the script, you see it as most would, yet if you ignore the script itself and read it as words and phrases, your mind automatically puts it into a language you understand. Quite peculier. Tell me, is this the first time you have read from this book?

Rodessa: Of course! It's the first time I laid eyes on it right…. Right? Yet it kind of looks.

Rodessa & Voice: Familiar?

Voice: *Chuckle*  

Madam Povell: You do realise it is quite rude to enter someone’s abode without at least knocking. I’m sure you know how jumpy the child is.

Rodessa: Bitch, you’re younger than me!!!

Voice: *Giggle* Now, now, you're both children to me, dear. But forgive me, hun, I had wanted to greet you as you landed, but… I was preoccupied. It seems your doppelganger has arrived. Looking for that book in particular. But the little ones in your employ seemed smart enough to give her a fake. *smirk*  You seemed to have a better batch of agents this time around. I applaud you, dear.

Madam Povell: Tch….to think that she would have made such a move already….Still, after the recent overhaul, I would be rather unhappy should more corruption have slipped through the gaps. Even so, that she was with Pandora at all grates at me….

Voice: You and i both dear. But as i said you have more than a few capable children in your employ. As well as a more than a few gods as well. With your blessing grant me permission to ‘take over for a time,’ until you return. Four to five months until your return correct? It  should be enough time to train this pup into becoming an agent worth the agences time no?

Madam Povell: In what capacity would you be ‘taking over’, so to speak? Would you be as myself? Or would you be acting as my appointed proxy?

Voice: Appointed proxy, naturally. Your agents are already on edge, I doubt another ‘you’ would settle their nerves, but the highest of those in my position will. It would draw you dopple ganger out. And will give me the opportunity to flush out any unsightly weeds hiding in the shadows. Good plan no?

Madam Povell: A workable plan. Of course, there would need to be the appropriate networks put in place so that your position is unquestionable. After all, if there has already been one person attempting to impersonate me, it isn’t beyond the possibility that it could happen again. So long as your position is unquestionable, it will be impossible for the doppleganger to usurp the position from you until my return.

Voice: Exactly why I have so graciously brought this.

*The woman hands over a large file filled with documents.*

Voice: Read through them, dear, and sign the ‘X’s’. To be honest, it’s just a formality. A verbal consent would be more than enough, but oh well.

*The woman saunters over to the Little Flower who had long lost interest and was focusing on the book once more*

Voice: You seem well ‘Roza’

Rodessa: Funny, I don’t recall telling you my name.

Voice: *Chuckle* No, no you didn’t. But I’ve known you for quite a while… Might I have that book you’ve stuffed under your pillow?

Madam Povell: Roza, I thought I told you to put that book back where you found it!

Rodessa: Tisk! You were engrossed in your talk with the brat. How did-?

Voice: Mothers have extra pairs of eyes, dear. Have you never heard the saying?

Rodessa: Mother… Wait, are you the-!!! It can’t be!

Mother: The one and only. Though it’s a little over due, my name is Lady Parame, the weaver of fate, ‘Mother to all’. That book in your possession belongs to one of my children. Though I don’t mind you reading its contents, I will be taking the original.

*The woman reached for the book and snaps her fingers. A ding sound was heard from one of the luggage bags*

Mother: I’ve uploaded a the entirety of the book to the communicator you’ll be giving to her. You might as well be present it now. Or should I?

Madam Povell: Since the content you uploaded did once belong to your child, it might mean a little more from you than from a ‘child’, I believe.  

Mother: *Chuckle* I suppose.

*Mother snapped her fingers, presenting a black box, to the astonished girl in front of her*

Rodessa: How the fuc-!

Mother: Language, dear. Open it. As I’ve stated, it's a digital file of the original.

*Looking back towards violet*

My dear Violet, though it may be a file on the communicator, not just any soul can look upon this. For the most, part both this child and her counter part can, though without proper focus, I don't believe they will be able to ready it with ease. Is that fine with you?

*Finishing the last of the paperwork Violet responds*  

Violet: I have no complaints. If this is what you feel is the best course. Now then, is there anything else that you need from us?

Mother: Ummm, one last thing… keep me updated on every step of this pup's progress. And this is a warning to you, young one. I believe you know my feelings on ‘the god killer’. It is unnecessary. As soon as her stabilizer is present, there won't be an issue. So…

*Mother opened her hand expectantly*

Mother: An exchange is in order.   

Violet: Very well then.

*Reaching into a back, Violet presents a small vial to Parame for her to take. With a satisfied smile Parame takes the vial and exchanges it with another*

Mother: Here - not as strong as the god killer, but it does the job. Blood from a venomous demon. Just a drop has enough to wipe out a nation the size of France. Now, I shall take my leave.

*With a look of satisfaction, the woman gather her things and leaves as quickly as she came. Both girls, looking some what exasperated, stared at each other for the moment, silently deciding they would talk in the morning. If the encounter with ‘Mother’ was not draining enough, their jet lag was. The two fell asleep soon enough and, with that, the day came to an end.*

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment