Wednesday 4 October 2017

Written Memories Pt 1



--- Temple of the Mother Goddess, Unknown Location ---

*The Temple of Parame was a grand structure, the embodiment of the holy prowess of the Mother Goddess. Within it, only those in her favour would be permitted to walk it’s halls, for fate is forever watchful. Despite its splendor, it was not a place of only the most serene and detached, but was also a place where younger gods were sometimes seen wandering through the halls. For one such godly child, the pace was less that of a wander, and more of a quick stride. Inari Okami, known to many as Inari, strode quickly through the halls, long hair streaming out behind them and clothes flowing as they strode with a purpose of a god much older, eyes fixated on their goal - the hall of Parame herself.

For not the first time, Inari had been called to train with the mother goddess who had often taken them under her wing when they had first come into existence. Even when they eventually began to spend time with their own Pantheon, Inari would still train with Parame, whom they often referred to as Mother. It was something of a well known fact that Inari was a somewhat favoured child by the Goddess. As such, it was not strange to see them making their way to the Goddess’ chamber.

On this day, however, their usual route was interrupted when the loud angry voice of one of the Greek Pantheon cut through the air*

Zeus’ Voice: You vulgar half blood! How dare you not humble yourself to your superior! You swine!

Child’s Voice: I-I’m sorry, I-I j-just!

Zeus’ Voice: Be silent!

SFX: KICK!

Child's Voice: Waaaaa! I’m sorry!!! *Hick hick*

Zeus’ Voice: Shut up! If I wanted to hear a pig squeal, I would visit the stys!

SFX: *Muffled cries*

Zeus’ Voice: I said, SHUT UP!

*Alarmed by what they could hear, Inari abandoned their original path and flew around the corner to see what was going on. Indeed, before them was the King of Olympus, Zeus, kicking what appeared to be a young child. With the child’s arms over it’s head, Inari couldn’t make out it’s features. However, they were certainly not the type to just let someone suffer, even if it was at the hands of a (currently) higher ranking god.

Quickly, before any more ham could be done, Inari moved between the God and child, ducking under the other’s arm, a cool smile on their face that didn’t reach their eyes*

Inari: Speaking of pigs, I’m quite certain if we wanted to hear such boorishness we could have all done the same, rather than have it screamed through the halls. Don’t you have anything better to do that throw your weight around in a place you are not lord of, Zeusy?

Zeus: I didn't know this matter concerned the likes of you, brat. A vermin such as that shouldn't be here. Dirty blood is meant for the lower realms, not here, don't you think? And yet, even though ‘it’ is allowed to dwell here, this… thing can't even respect a superior being. Pitiful. *Crosses arms.*

Inari: Oh, Vermin are not permitted? I’m surprised that you are still here then. After all, such behaviour from a deity is indeed quite low, so you should run along. *Tilting their head* But if the little one is here, they were permitted to be here. You should know by now that only those Mother permits may enter here. Oh, although….*Eyeing Zeus* You always were quite the muscle head. Perhaps you need to catch up on your studies, Zeusy.

*Aiming to though a fist, in irradiation the older teen, squires up but is immediately caught by an older looking deity clad head to toe in armor.*

Older god: Indeed. It seems you have MUCH left to learn. Now shall we be off young master Zeus.

*The older boy was promptly dragged away for the area leaving the two younger children where they stood.*

Inari: (Under their breath): Good riddance….

*Shaking their head, they turned their attention back to the huddled child on the ground. Gaze softening, Inari knelt down beside the child*

Inari: Hey there. It’s alright now. Zeus has gone now. Are you alright? I may not be a god of healing, but I’m certain that I could help, if you need it.

Child: N-no, I…I’m fine. A mighty god such as you shouldn't have wasted your time with a ‘lesser being’ such as I….But, thank you…. Big brother.  Ouch!

*The child winced in pain, pulling the hood over their eyes*

Inari: Mighty? Ah, I wouldn’t say that. I myself am still learning the ways of both my pantheon and my powers. Besides, is it not the duty of those with power to aid those without it? Otherwise, what makes us any different from devils?

*That in mind, Inari reaches into their robes and pulled out a strange, bamboo-flask container, presenting it to the fallen child.*

Inari: Here, drink this. It’s a special tea to help sooth your pain.

Child: … No…. I’m fine. *Lower cast eyes*  I'm just vermin… Vermin don't need medicine… I’ll just lick the wounds there alright, I… this isn't so bad and I'm not wounded that badly… *Barely audible voice* Not today, at least.

*The child winced again as they searched for something in their robes*

Child: Oh, but you should save it for yourself! And here, big brother. *Places a small baked good in Inari’s hand* They’re my favorite.

*Inari blinked slightly, before offering a smile and took the pastry, only to place the flask into the child’s hand before they could pull it away*

Inari: I think that this is a fair exchange. That is how merchants do business, after all. *They offer a bright smile to the child* And merchants certainly don’t do business with ‘vermin’. In all honesty, I believe that you are not anything like a rat or a cockroach. To me, you are a person who needed help. And if I am ‘big brother’, then it is also my duty to help my ‘little sibling’, wouldn’t you say?

*They placed their free hand over their heart*

Inari: If that doesn’t convince you, then call it a gift, from big brother to younger. I think that Mother would like that we get along. Don’t you think?

*Large tear drops fall from the child’s hood covered eyes, and the child rests into a somewhat relaxed posture, before biting their lips once more.*

Child: I think you're too nice to a ‘lesser being’ such as I…. Oh, you a big sister!? I’m sorry!!! Looking at it now, you are really pretty! Sorry, I didn't notice in the moment. Looking at it now you are really pretty!!! *Wince*

Inari: ‘Big sibling’, I think might be the best. But I don't mind being referred to as either. It just makes things less confusing when I choose to appear female rather than male, or genderless. But I thank you for the compliment, little one! As for me being ‘too nice’....well, you’re here, aren’t you? That must mean that Mother thinks you are worthy to be here. That’s enough for me. But as I said before, it is the duty of those with power to protect those without. At least, that’s what I think.
*They blink, before tilting their head like a curious fox*

Inari: Speaking of yourself….what is your name, little one? I’m Inari of the Shinto Pantheon. But you can call me Inari. Or big brother, or big sister, or big sibling. I don’t mind.

Child: ok big brother ‘nari! Oh my name is wozios! *grin*

*For a moment, Inari blinks, before putting their hands together with an adoring ‘Awwwww!’*

Inari: You’re adorable! I just want to hug you. Wozios, was it?

Child: *Blush* Big brother… I think you need your eyes tested….. Oh, ‘n’ it's not ‘Wozios’, it Wozios! Like the male flower over there next to its sister flower.

*the child rushes over to the clipped rose like flowers, on the window pain. And point in their direction. Inari follows after the child, glancing at the flowers that the child had eagerly pointed out.*

Inari: Ah, I see….you are Rozyus. That is a fine name you have. I remember Mother telling me about the meaning of this flower in Hanakotoba. In the language of the flowers, the Rodessa flower means ‘Strength in adversity’. A powerful name. Hold your head high and wear it with pride, Rozyus. I’m sure that you will bloom to become just as strong as the flowers you were named after.

Rozyus: *Quiet voice*….I’m nothing like them…. Ah you know Mama? Are you close, big brother...sister? Ah…. *Confused*

Inari: Maybe not at the moment *teasingly, they tweak the child’s nose* You’re a little bud at the moment. You have a lot of room to grow yet. And its big sibling. That works. As for….mama? Do you mean Mother Parame? If that’s who you mean, then yes, I do know her. I was going to meet her for training, actually. Mother’s nice. She even lets me tease her sometimes. *They lean closer and stage whisper* And she thinks its funny when I tease big headed gods, too. Like mean old Zeusy.*

Rozyus: Zeusy??? Oh, you meant ‘His Majesty Lord Zeus’?!! You shouldn't call him that! I accidentally called him by name and that's what got me in trouble!!! He's big and scary, he’ll beat you up, too! So don't call him that, ‘k? I don't want you to get in trouble too. *Winces in pain once more as the he clings to the older gods robs.*

*Inari laughs and lightly rubs the top of the child’s head*

Inari: Don’t you worry about me, ok? I can protect myself. And he has no jurisdiction over me. I’m not in the Greek Pantheon, and Lord Izanagi would sooner send him to Lady Izanami than allow one of us to be so unjustly treated by another’s pantheon. Not to mention that if Lightning boy threw a temper at me, my friend Susanoo would probably throw lightning right back. But I’ll behave. I certainly don’t want to get you in trouble. You’re too cute for that brat to be mean to you.

Rozyus: ‘brat’? But… but he's older than us remember? *puffs cheeks* ‘n like i said you need your eyes tested. Thinking one such as i am cute.

Inari: It doesn’t stop him from being a brat if he insists on acting like a three year old that was refused candy. As for me, I’ve got perfect vision, I promise you. You’re…..kinda fluffy. I think my foxes would love to cuddle with you. That would certainly be adorable!

Rozyus: Huh? I’m not fluffy, you’re fluffy! Look, you’re covered with fur! More than me!

*The boy leans over to touch the fur trim on the older god’s clothing, and, as he does so, the hood covering his face slips away. Inari blinked as they see the ears that the child had - not rounded ones, but ones similar to a wolf’s perched in their hair. However, they made sure not to say anything, even if they suddenly understood why Rozyus had been so down on themselves and why Zeus had been even more high and mighty than usual. Despite this, Inari was not going to change how they had been acting. They did, however, have an insight of who this was now. It made sense why the child had called Parame ‘Mama’*

Inari: Oh, so I am! *They pretend to suddenly realise that they had a fur trim* Oh, my friends must have been rubbing off on me. I guess that just means we can both be fluffy together then!

*The boy giggled then suddenly realised that his hood was no longer covering their head, what little colour of joy had been on there face turned to dread.*

Rozyus: Oh…No, you saw! You saw! I finally made a friend to... now it's all ruined! *Teary eyes* I-I have to go!!!

*The boy took off running*

Inari: H-hey, Rozyus, wait!

*However, the child had run away, faster than Inari had thought such a small child could. They considered going after the boy, telling him it was alright, but if they had someone they thought was going to beat them up run after them, they would have just run away faster. Instead, they sighed, before making a gesture and a small white fox appeared, landing lightly on their shoulder, balancing with it’s tiny paws. Absently, Inari scratched the fox under the chin*

Inari: My friend, would you mind finding the little wolf pup, Rozyus for me? I have a message to give to them.

*Entering a small chamber, the Child clambers in and hastily closes the door behind them. Before open a grand window to a low the first rays of moonlight to appear. Finally, he flops onto a overly decadent bed.*

Rozyous: Wozie, you dummy head. You messed things up, *sobing* and you finally made a friend too…. Waaaaaa. Now it's over it's all over.

*While the child cried into their blankets, the small white fox that Inari had summoned managed to, after a couple of unsuccessful attempts, clambers onto the windowsill with a huff, shaking out its fur in an attempt to shake off its embarrassment. However, the sobs of the boy soon got its attention and it lightly jumped from the windowsill and pands into the room, attempting to climb onto the bed. The first jump saw fit to only jank the covers a little off the side. Determined, the fox tries once again and intelligently padded across the soft mattress to the boy’s side, flopping down next to him with an exhausted huff*

*With the realisation of someone other than himself by his side the boy jumps a little at the walking fluff ball by his side. Gently lifting it up he hugs the fox before petting its head*

Rozyus: H-hello? How did you get in here little guy, sorry if I had know you were coming I would have fixed you a meal or something. Oh i should put on my… my hood I'm not supposed to be seen without it… but that's happened already now so there's no point. *tears form again. As he looks down.*

Fox: I….it’s ok. I...have a message for you….from Lord…..Inari.

*The fox finally managed to sit up a little, tail wagging slightly behind it*

Fox: Lord Inari said that they would like to see you again sometimes. A Rodessa flower might bloom in adversity, but it is at its most beautiful when it grows in the wild, not locked away. He also says that your ears are very cute and fluffy, so both of you are just as fluffy as each other. And lastly, Lord Inari says that Zeusy is still a meany head and that he’s far more blind that they are, if they wanted to be so horrible to a person who they could tell was a very nice person in only a glance.

Rozyus: *Deep blush* T-they don't hate a lowly beeing such as I? Or are they simply being nice? They want to be friends with me vermin such as I? They want to.. To see me? why?

Fox: Well, you don’t look like a rat or an insect to me, so I guess that Lord Inari just doesn’t see you as ‘vermin’. Other than that, no idea. Lord Inari likes you, so that’s good enough for me!

Rozyus: Truly?!!! I can see them? I… I want to see them! I want to be friends!!!! I want to see them will you take me? *begging voice* Please?


Fox: Sure. I’m a messenger fox of Lord Inari! I can do deliveries, too! *Puffs chest proudly* Though….um….if you could get the door for me. Lord Inari forgot to give opposable thumbs.

Rozyus: S-sure!

Fox: Great! Let’s get going then!

*Clumbislly, the fox jumps off the bed and scampers to the door, sitting down next to it as it looked back with begging eyes. Rozyus flicks the latch and slides the door open and the two set off towards their destination. As they approached, Inari was standing near the window, absently looking out at the Rodessa flowers, glancing over when fox and boy returned once more. With a smile, Inari straightened, eyes shining.*

Inari: You’re back. I’m glad, Rozyus!

*Holding himself while tugging at one of his ears, an assumed habit, the boy looks up at the older god*

Rozyus: I… I’m sorry for running off. One such as I had no right to flee from you. But…. truly, I was afraid you would find me unsightly… and…*Trails off* Is it true you wish to be friends with one such as I? Even… even though I am of soiled blood?

Inari: Well, one of the things I’m god of is agriculture. I guess I have soil in my blood too, wouldn’t you say? *They laugh lightly* And it’s ok. I understand why you’d be scared. But like I said before, you’re too cute to be unsightly. And I was right, too! You and my fox friends are adorable together!

Rozyus: ….Big brother desperately needs his eyes tested…..

Voice: *Chuckle* all three of you are adorable to me. I see you're acquainted with my child little one. Good no need for tedious formalities then.

*A beautiful woman glide towards the trio along with a younger looking man. Blinking, Inari turns around, eyes wide for a moment, before smiling.*

Inari: Hello Mother! And….this is your child?

*For a moment, they tilt their head thoughtfully, before nodding. It made sense, at least to them. Rather than feeling concerned about it, they just smiled more*

Inari: You’re right. No introductions needed at all! Rozyus is as cute as Mother is beautiful.

Rozyus: Huh? No, one such as… *Too embarrassed to speak coherently*

*Noticing the exchange and the bruises on the boys skin, the servant scoops up the child, before administering a healing spell*

Servant: Young master! Who did this to you!? I’ll be sure to-

Rozyus: I-I’m fine Sayo, I just fell down the stairs. You know how clumsy I am. Remember last time, I was picking berries and I fell into the bushes and got scraped up. *Nervous laugh* See, I’m fine! it doesn't even hurt any more, see?

*He grits his teeth as he touched one of the bruises, hoping that the servant didn’t notice*

Sayo: I highly doubt that it's fine, especially with the way you're gritting your teeth, young master. *Darker tone* Now, tell me who did this, I’ll be sure to-

Inari: I’m going to assume that Rozyus just doesn’t want to get in further trouble with the one who did it. *Sly smile* However, I do believe I know a loophole here. I can tell you who did it. That way, if anyone’ll get in trouble, it’s me and old bolt head knows that I’m not so easy to bully. Zeus, it seems, can’t tolerate being called by his name. I guess all the more reason for me to call him Zeusy, huh?

*A faint glow seemed to glint in Mother’s eyes. That wretch had the audacity to attempt to assert his authority in her temple? It seemed that the young king had much to learn and, as her right, she would happily school him. As not to scare the younger children, she calmed herself, plastering a smile on her face before addressing them*

Mother: My sweet child look after my little rose bud form a moment Sayo and I are going to meet with the young king  we’ll start our training in the morning. For now do you mind having a sleepover with that boy? It won't be a problem would it darling?

Inari: I don’t mind at all. I did say that I wanted Rozyus to meet my fox friends anyway, so it's the perfect opportunity. Yay! Sleepover! We can tell lots of stories, eat sushi, and play with the fox cubs, and eat more sushi, and not listen to Zeus screaming in pain, and eat sushi and-

Rozyus: Huh? What was that? About ‘His majesty’?

Inari: What, eat sushi? And why would you call Zeusy something like that, he’s got a big enough head without people in higher positions playing up to him! Come on, come on, I want to show you my favorite. Have you tried Inarizushi before! It’s my favourite and the mortals named it after me, isn’t that cool?

*As Inari continued to ramble on, they had taken Rozyus’ hand and was following the fox messenger back to where Rozyus’ room was.*

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment