Thursday 25 May 2017

Sweet Child Pt 2


--- Inari’s Tent, Main Camp ---

Rozyus: Tell Me! You’ve been stalling my progress for a while now, master, and I know you’ve been doing it on purpose! I'm sick of it! stop treating me like a child!

*The boy is standing before the God of death, hands clenched and expression twisted with stubbornness and anger as he confronts his Master. Thanatos remains still, expression unmoved by Rozyus’ passion. He is a patient god and, knowing that this talk has long been overdue, waits for Rozyus to finish his argument and prove himself capable of handling what is to come next*

Rozyus: I… I pushed back the darkness in my own heart… I helped light the fire in the soldiers hearts, gave them a way to fight for themselves and confront ‘His’ seduction. Is that not enough? Yes, I was about to be consumed by the darkness, but I was standing strong on my side of his realm… I didn't slip… Am...am I just a lesser being after all? Are my actions not enough, Master?

*Thanatos closes his eyes with a sigh, before motioning for the younger man to sit*

Thanatos: It is, indeed, true that there is a lot more I can teach you. However, I have not been ‘holding you back’ because you are ‘lesser’. After all, heroes I have had in the past have been far ‘less’ than you whom I have lead to other levels at a faster pace, and I have had beings who have had purer blood or higher standings within the council of gods whom have needed far longer than you to progress. No, your standings or blood are not what is causing you to be held back. Rather, it has nothing to do with physical ability at all.

*In a quick, flourishing movement, Thanatos had summoned his weapon and used the hilt to prod Rozyus on the forehead*

Thanatos: No, what is holding you back is this - your own mind.

Rozyus: HUMPH! I’m unstable, is that what you’re saying?

*Eyes turned away, the boy sits at the far end of the sofa, tucking in his limbs, trying to make himself as small as he felt*

*Thanatos smacks him over the head with the hilt - not enough to seriously injure, but sharp enough to snap him from whatever thoughts he was spiraling into*

Thanatos: That, there, is the problem. With the slightest words, you crumbled into yourself. What holds you back is how you see yourself, and how you control your emotions - or rather, how you don’t. And no, suppressing them is not controlling them. I would have thought you know this from the times Inari used to let loose after suppressing their feelings for so long. For people like them, whose power does not come from an emotional source, it is not so detrimental, and they can afford the occasional slip so long as they do not lose control over their abilities. But for those whose power is tied so closely to their emotions, to their minds and thoughts, they must be able to control their mental states, lest they unleash a power on the world by pure accident.

*Thanatos sighs and sits beside Rozyus, running an apologetic hand through his hair, soothing the injury he had caused with a cool hand*

Thanatos: I am not ‘holding you back’ because I do not care or think you are weak, Rozyus. Rather, I think you have the potential to be one of the strongest heroes. However, if you are to reach that potential, your mind must be prepared to face anything, no matter what happens, what is said, or even what you might turn onto yourself.  

Rozyus: It's hard to have the the confidence of the gods when your whole life gods and other beeing have been telling you other wise, i’ve livl.ed most my life being oppressed. So even if you say kind words like I’m on equal futting how am i supposed to believe it… if i didn't have them as a tether tieing me to this world i would have happily joined those whom we goven. I won't lie Master… ‘His’ offer was tempting, really tempting. But i felt that if i danced with him for even a moment i would never see my love again.. I wouldn't have the right to. But…

Thanatos: There will always be a part of you, a part of everyone, that might sympathise with him. And, because of what he was, he would never control a person to do so against their will, since it would harm what he stands for. However, he is a master of words, able to twist things to make people believe what he has to say, that they might follow of their own volition. Once they do, he has them trapped. He is like a candle flame to a moth. He can shine a light that is so very tempting, and draws people in, only for them to willingly walk to their own doom. And, it is true, there are many who have done so already. However, as a Hero, as one who has power over the soul, we cannot be swayed. Death is the ultimate equalizer, so it must be calm and capable of seeing all sides. However, Death is also part of the balance of this world. It cannot be swayed to a side that will upset that.

*Thanatos narrows his eyes slightly as he looks upon his student*

Thanatos: You have heard what he has done. While his actions may have cause, what he did, what he is still doing, will not only upset the balance, will not only harm those on our side, but will harm himself as well. If you sympathise with him, remember that, by stopping him, you will be saving him. But, it goes beyond that. And you have yet to see it.

Tell me, hero, what is it you fight for? What is it that you wish to use your power for? Is it for fame, that you might prove yourself as ‘better’ than other gods? Is it only for the love of one person, and you would stand by, allowing others to be destroyed around you so long as that one person remains alive? Or is it for the sake of the souls whom are innocent, yet caught in the middle of the war and suffer for it. At the moment, you blame people that you are ‘untethered’, yet, I wonder, have you, yourself, attempted to find your own bonds? Or do you simply bow to Fate, and say ‘That’s just how it is’?

*The boy balled his fists claws digging in t his soft flesh almost drawing blood, anger washed over for a moment, then calm. He had to keep his cool, less he prove his master right. After all he was right about ‘That Man’ and yet deep down he felt like something was still wrong… missing some how.*

Rozyus [Inner though]: I need to speak to him again. Somehow, as manipulative as he is, there’s something still missing. I mean, his words… He let something slip that he shouldn’t have, I can feel it.

*Faded words whisper though his mind*

‘..Haha, you spit in the face of the one that would give you that will in the first place...’

‘No, you won’t be a puppet’

‘Will you curse and blame-?’

‘What will be reflected in your eyes?’

*The boy sighed inwardly, his brow knitted *

Rozyus [Inner though]: I have a feeling you were talking about yourself, weren't you?

Voice: My, aren’t we confident?

*Thanatos does not react to this voice. It seems to be one that only Rozyus can hear. A voice only recently become familiar*

Voice: You truly believe that you can come to meet with me and all will be revealed in a nicely presented package. Your naivety amuses me. However, I will give you a chance to see just how wrong your views truly are. In three days hence, meet me at the lost grounds, dead of life from battle, at the sun’s dying breath. Come alone. Though I doubt you would bring anyone anyway. They would consider you insane, or a traitor. And the only one you would trust with this, I would twist and break until there is nothing left. Only you will be granted this temporary ceasefire.

Rozyus [Inner though]: Fine. But I want your word as a god - whatever pride you have left as a god - that you swear to me that you won’t pull anything. I just want to know the truth… your truth. There’s something about this that doesn’t sit well with me.

Voice: Ah, then this is less about me and more about just how your dear mother may have twisted things? How lowly you think of your own blood. Very well, do as you -heh - will. I wonder, will you break? Or will you become so wrapped in your own delusion of the truth that no words will sway you. I will enjoy seeing you struggle.

*With that, the voice, and the presence that was with it, fades from Rozyus’ mind*

Rozyus: *Sigh* Master…. I understand… i know i can’t save everybody but, i do believe just defeating him is wrong. Yes i hold my love ones dear, there's no one above that, and yes i would like to prove to those that doubt me but… i feel that in order for this war to truly be over and the sickle to brake, we need to save him. We need to bring him back to the light.

*Thanatos’ eyes narrow slightly for a moment, though what exactly he was thinking does not show on his face. However, even if he had not heard what Rozyus had, the fact that he had gone silent was suspicious in and off itself.*

Thanatos: That indecisiveness is another factor. However, you believe you might ‘change’ him? Or that you can subdue him, perhaps, to make him see reason? Do you not believe others have not tried the same? However, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

*He flips his lantern weapon once more, then holds it out to Rozyus.*

Thanatos: A test, then. Take my weapon, and walk towards me. I will not strike at you physically, nor will I offer any obstacle but one - I will not reign in my aura. If you can carry my lantern to me, then we’ll see just how prepared you really are. Will you accept?

*As the boy reached out towards the rear end of the lantern, touching its icy cold handle, an overwhelming sense of dread cloaked him. He could see his master walking to the end of the room, but, looking with his ‘other eyes’, he could see his masters true self. His presence was unlike any he had encountered before; far greater than even his mother’s. The physical form of ‘Nothing’, The End and the Beginning. Death itself stood before him, and, if he truly wished to press forward, he would need to prove his worth. An empty smile painted Lord Thanatos’s lips as he sat dominant at Inari’s desk. Mockingly, he crowed.*

Thanatos: What’s wrong, Rozyus? Why do you not approach? Is this all the strength of will you have to offer? Where is that resolve? Where is that strength you so raged that you possess? Is this as far as you can bring yourself to go, Child of Fate?

Rozyus: D-damn you, Master!

*He was shaking now, the sheer force of his master’s Presence was truly something to behold. Attempting to pick up the weapon, he felt its pure weight. He Remembered what he had said to his love, months ago.*

‘You should have seen it. Master’s weapon - not even the son of Zeus could lift it. It only responds to Master himself… But, I’ve heard that there is a trick to make it bend to one’s will. But what it is, I don’t quite know.’

‘I get it, so that’s why..’

Rozyus: Ah! *mutters* I see, the same rules apply here, huh?

*The boy seemed to relax his form, mimicking the stance of his Master. He allowed all the negativity in his heart to disperse, for the moment, and flow out of him. Only reason remained. Slowly closing his eye, he releases his presence, pushing it as far as it could go. It was barely a light push in comparison to the Elder God's presence, but it offered him some protection… Eyes still closed, he reached for the weapon. It seemed to respond to him some what, its weight only slightly easing. The boy daintily gripped the handle, twirling it, reminiscent of the time he performed the parlor trick for the troubled soldiers. It did take nearly all his strength, but he took a step, then another, then another towards his master. The air itself began to feel heavy. The boy struggled, staggering, stepping closer and closer  until his legs could no longer support him  and he fell to one knee.*

*Sighing, Thanatos stands from his perch*

Thanatos: After all that talk, is this really all you can do? You have not even reached half way, and yet you are on your knees before me. No matter how much you brag, you can see the evidence as plain as day - you are not ready, nor are you prepared, for the next step. How….disappointing. I was expecting more from you. But it would seem your bark was far louder than the strength to back it.

*Shaking his head, the god turns to leave.*

Thanatos: When you honestly have the strength, then I will stop holding back on you. But for now, I’m sure you are aware of what you are truly lacking.

Rozyus: *Panting* Oh s-shut up already! You better sit your ass back down ‘n’ wait till I get there!

*Eyes still closed, he clutches his chest,*

Rozyus [Inner Thought]: He’s so strong… too strong… but there must be a way I can… wait. What if I don’t fight his presence? Death is inevitable, right? Who was it that told me I could run or succumb to it…? I won’t run. Yes, he’s stronger, but that doesn’t mean I need to fight him. I just need to get there, that’s all. So… so…

*The boy attempts to stand; his first attempt ending in failure as he felt his body give under the sheer pressure of his Master’s presence. His second attempt was slightly better. Supported by the staff, he presses forward once more. He relaxes his presence, letting it trail off into nothing. He needed a clear mind and no distractions for this to work. One step, two steps, he was getting closer. He abandons the weapon and continued to press forward,  rhythmically twirling the phantom presence of the staff as needed.  The actions were enough. He didn't need the physical weapons for his plan, but the movement were important. He could feel himself reaching the end of his destination, the cold wood of the desk’s light touched his flesh.*

Rozyus: ....This is the extent of my resolve, I’m afraid, but I won’t let it rule me… no chance. So, as long as I can see a sliver of hope, as long as I know there’s a chance I can win, no matter how small, I will take it. And I will do what’s right. I’m strong enough to.

*He opened his eyes*

Rozyus: Now *Said with conviction* COME!

*With the snap of his fingers, the staffed weapon flies into his hands. The boy’s stance changes, this time more confident and controlled. His eyes snap open, the colour radiates with its glow. It seems to flicker with a divine light. He points the staffed end to his master.*

Rozyus: Your weapon, my Lord.

*A small smile crosses Thanatos’s face as he reached forwards and took the staff from Rozyus’ grip*

Thanatos: Much better. Now do you understand? What was holding you back?

Rozyus: Y-yeah….

*As he replied, he could see black spots clouding his vision. The relief after reaching his destination had gotten the best of him, and he collapses shortly after. With a quick movement, Thanatos had his arm around the boy’s middle, preventing him from falling to the ground, his presence cloaked once more. With a snort of amusement, Thanatos carries the boy towards Inari’s bed and lays the boy upon it, lightly draping one of the blankets over his still form*

*He looks down at the boy for a long moment, his pride in the boy slowly fading as he remembers, with trepidation, that long moment of silence from before*

Thanatos: The strength you have found….I only hope that it will not be in vain….Too much is at stake, for everyone involved…But even so, there is only so much I can do. Your fate now is up to you.

[END]



No comments:

Post a Comment