Thursday 18 May 2017

Dance with the Devil: Pt 2


Host: Give the other gods my most sincere salutations. For I’m certain when we all meet again, I will very much enjoy giving them a final farewell.

*The ‘Honored’ guest braces themselves slightly at those words. A black mist seemed to surround them as they felt themselves fall into the darkness. Slightly afraid, they cling to themselves. One by one, the jewels that adorn their form begin to glow and distorted voices cry out. The ‘Honored’ guest’s body is violently shaken as the voices become clearer.*

Voice: -us…! -zyus…! ROZYUS!

Child: ROZYUS! Please, wake up!!!

Rozyus: M-my love?

*Upon awakening, Rozyus finds himself staring into the frantic eyes of the Child, whose trembling hands had been on his shoulders and eyes shining with unshed tears, expression pinched with worry and bone deep fatigue. Somewhat disorientated, Rozyus quickly scans the room, realising that he is no longer within the constructed world of the Host, and instead is lying within the room he shared with the Child, but surrounding the bed were many of the other gods who were shifting away from the bed, faces a mix of relieved and utterly exhausted, as if they had gone through a fierce battle.*

*Falteringly, the child strokes Rozyus’ cheek for a moment, before letting out a shaky sigh, dropping their head onto Rozyus’ chest*

Child: Oh thank goodness….

*Combing his fingers though the Child’s long silken locks as if to sooth them, Rozyus attempts to compose himself.*

Rozyus: I don’t think i need to ask what happened, but thank you all…. It would appear that i met ‘Him.’

*No one needed to ask who ‘He’ was. The people around them exchanged looks, grim understanding on their faces. A few cursed under their breath, having hoped it wasn’t the case. The Child’s expression fell into a mix of pained empathy and a deep protectiveness. Their hands clenched slightly, obviously wishing they could do more, but unable to find a target for their frustration. However, they take a deep breath, letting out out once more, not wishing to cause Rozyus any more concerns. They needed to be sure before anything else*

Child: Whatever it was ‘He’ was doing had stopped you from waking. There was a black mist surrounding you and you were tossing and turning as if in fever. Had you and whatever power Lord Thanatos left within the ornaments you wear not broken through it, we’re not sure we could have kept the shadows from consuming you.

Rozyus: I see… But, still, I don't think….

*The Boy seemed to bite back on his words. He had a theory, but he needed to be certain before he could voice his thoughts. His exchange with the Host had given him an idea. Still, deep down, he knew that every advantage he could think of came with a price. At the very least he now had a greater understanding of his new ‘partner’ on the dance floor. A slight
hum escaped his lips*

Rozyus: How vexing, elder gods are so difficult at times….

Voice: And yet, despite this, it was only when it was almost too late that you were aware of ‘His’ presence.

*At the sound of the new, yet familiar voice, the many gods quickly parted with reverence as Thanatos glided towards the bedside. The Child, not wishing to leave Rozyus’ side so quickly, merely inclined his head in honourable greeting to the elder god. Thanatos tilted his head to the Child a moment, but his eyes remained fixed on Rozyus, as if looking into his very soul.*

Thanatos: It appears that we all underestimated what actions ‘He’ might have taken. We had become so used to what ‘He’ once was, that we had almost forgotten what ‘He’ has become. With this in mind, if you are to face ‘Him’ as you are now, without the aid of myself and those present here when your mind is vulnerable, or worse, come across ‘Him’, when it appears ‘He’ has ‘His’ eyes fixed on you, you may not be so lucky.

Rozyus: Are you saying I’m week Master? I know how what ‘He’s’ capable of i’ve felt it even unwillingly spoken to him yet…

Thanatos: And yet you still speak so arrogantly, as if you could defeat him alone, when you needed so many to prevent you from becoming lost? Child, strong you may be as you are now, you have not yet tapped into the true power you hold. Without that power, without having completed the ceremony, you do not yet have the power that an Elder God such as ‘He’ has. True, you have pushed ‘Him’ back for now, but the fact ‘He’ has been able to gain access to your mind shows a weakness in your defenses that has not been accounted for. If you truly wish to reach your potential, you must return with me to Hades. It is a failure in my own teachings that must be corrected posthaste.

*The boy, slightly enraged, closes the eyes, trying his best not to grind his teeth into powdered shards.*

Rozyus: TSK! Damn you, Master… I do not wish to leave so soon… bu-

*The boy glances upwards. However, seeing the tired look in his fellow commanders’ eyes, he winced. He had indeed caused them all a great deal of trouble. Guilt churned in his stomach as he felt the weight of the arms that embraced him from behind. The action reminiscent to the sensation he had felt just moments prior.*

Rozyus: Damn you… But... just allow me a week. One week, that’s all I ask of you. I’ll willingly leave then….

Voice: I believe that would be doable… Consider it an apology that we couldn’t get to you sooner, little one.

*Barely moving to acknowledge the presence of the materialising goddess, the boy speaks again*

Rozyus: During this time, I think you and I need a nice long chat, Mother. There are things I know you’ve been hiding. My little chat with your ‘lover’ has intrigued me, and I just want to iron out the kinks in this little story of yours. Besides, if I’m to risk my life, I should know why I’m going to die. Right now, as is stands, ‘every path I can ever take will always lead me back to ‘Him’.’

*Mother’s eyes narrow for a brief second, before she exchanges a look with Thanatos, the death god’s  expression somewhat sympathetic, but stirn. She seemed to have little choice in her next words.*

Mother: That... that would be fair. I’ll set a gathering of the gods, so we may discuss things *sigh*

*She waved her hand in a rhythmic pattern, drawing her mark in the air. A corresponding mark appears on the nape of Rozyus’ neck.*

Mother: For now, just rest your body. I doubt he’ll be showing his presence after that ‘exchange.’

*With those words, both elder gods took their leave, the room felt quiet once more, until a voice speaks breaking the deafening silence.*  

Horus: It would seem the danger has passed for now. Everyone should rest and regain their strength. I’m certain that we can rely on Lord Inari to keep Lord Rozyus safe in the meantime.

*He turns his attention to the Child*

Horus: If something happens, Lord Inari, be sure to inform us. We will be at your side as soon as possible.

*The Child, Inari, inclines their head gratefully*

Inari: You have my thanks, Lord Horus.

*With those words, the various gods trickle out of the tent, leaving Inari and Rozyus alone once again. Listening carefully, until they were sure they would not be disturbed, Inari lets out a shaky sigh, slumping against Rozyus with their eyes half closed, exhausted, but not daring to be out of contact with their love so soon after such a scare*

Inari: ….You have no idea how hard it was to see you so trapped, and being unable to do anything without the help of so many others….You always hope to keep me from harm, and yet when harm came to you, I could do nothing…

*They turn their face into Rozyus’ shoulder, hiding exhausted yet sorrowful tears.*

Inari: Forgive me…

*Biting his lip, the boy turns to face his lover.*

Rozyus: In truth, I wasn't in danger, per say… well, this time, at least. It was more a greeting of sorts? Still...I can see why she fell for him… he’s charming, flirtatious, has a damn mouth on him, and he can be downright scary when he wants. *Shivers* Now that I think about it, we’re into the same type…

*That makes Inari raise their head from his shoulder, expression a mix between morbidly curious, and downright horrified*

Inari: ...Are you comparing me to ‘Him’?

Rozyus: *Chuckle* Well, only the good parts, my dear husband.

*Pushing the child down onto the bed, the boy continues.*

Rozyus: But, saying that, ‘His’ eyes bothered me a little. They were... gentle, full of pity and sad, so sad.

*Despite the position they found themselves in, Inari’s expression became readily thoughtful*

Inari:...They say that eyes are the windows to the soul. If anyone could see that in the soul of one who had walked such a path, you would be the one to see it. It….it does bring this war to some focus. Had things not happened the way they have….I wonder...would ‘He’ have fallen the way ‘He’ has? Driven by guilt and anger to madness? Or, does he not act in insanity, but in pity, as one putting down an injured animal fated to a lingering, painful death might?

*Inari closes their eyes a moment, sighing, before reaching up to cup Rozyus’ cheek, eyes opening once more to gaze at their lover’s face, eyes searching his expression.*

Inari: Do you, perhaps, pity ‘Him’, my love? What is it that you saw in ‘His’ heart which ‘He’, perhaps, never meant for you to see? What….did ‘He’ do?

Rozyus: I didn't see a Villain, nor a madman. He truly believes what he’s doing is right. Maybe, to some degree, he is? I’m not condoning his actions one bit, but both man and mystic folk alike are messed up. I guess, being what he is, he blames himself for the mess. Still… there's a part of me that feels for him. He has no one by his side. It makes me want to comfort him in some way…

As for what he did...well, it's too much to say allowed. I think it would be best for me to show you, instead.

*The boy leaned forward touching both his and the Child heads together, scenes and images flash through the Child’s mind. Inari is able to put together the events that they had seen into a logical order as they finally breathed out a shaky breath. Exchanging memories in such a way was always a little disorientating. Still, now they knew what had happened through Rozyus’ eyes, Inari had mixed feelings. A part of them was angered that He would have shown such affections onto Rozyus, even if it was only in an attempt to manipulate him. However, they were not one to let emotion cloud their judgement, and pushed their jealous reaction away, instead analysing exactly what He was doing, and, perhaps, why*

Inari: It would almost seem as though it was a last ditch effort to garner your attention. The ‘Seed’ had failed, so, perhaps, He had hoped that direct attention might change your mind. Although…..considering His history with Mother, it wouldn’t surprise me if part of the reason He favours you with His attention is because of your connection to her, wanted or not.

*Inari sighed*

Inari: Though, part of his motivation might be as you say - He has not the support of other gods the way we have. Any at his side are there due to the way he has…..twisted them, I suppose. Moreover, He was replaced by the one who once was His counterpart. Of course, I am certainly glad of that, otherwise I would never have found my heart’s home in you, but….you would have been all that is left of Her that He could reach….

*They sit up, looking Rozyus over carefully. After all, even if He had never physically harmed him, His actions had still affected his lover, even if he had quickly regained control as he came to a realisation of what He was*

Inari: While a part of me…..understands what hell it is to be parted from a loved one, I am a selfish person. He means far less to me than you do.

*They cup Rozyus’ cheek with a gentle hand*

Inari: Are you alright?

Rozyus: … for the most part I’m fine, but what about you. You guy look exhausted. Was it really that bad, and just how long was i out for?

Inari: I….I honestly couldn’t say. I was so focused on trying to keep that dark cloud from swallowing you whole that time had no meaning to me. All I knew was I had to do everything I could to keep Him from taking you.

*Inari looked around, swallowing*

Inari: I….there are certainly more shadows in here than there were when it started. But still….*Sighing* even using all that power with everyone, I was still unable to-

Rozyus: You know Rome was not built by one man. You know a treasure cannot be guarded by one alone. Nor can a hunt be as fruitful when one is alone. You came charging in to rescue me. You fought hard to protect me. When I was in his grasp, it was the thought of you that stopped me from losing myself.

*He cradles the Childs cheeks tenderly kissing their lips*

Rozyus: It was you who saved me, dummy, don't you ever forget that!

*Inari stared into Rozyus’ eyes for a moment, before their expression softened and, with a huff of a soft chuckle, they let they head drop against Rozyus’ own softly, eyes half closed, but full of adoring affection*

Inari: What would I do without you?

Rozyus: *Chuckles* Funny, I was thinking the same thing. You must be sore from fighting those… things. Do you want me to give you a massage? Or would you want to have a bath with me in the cleansing pool?

*The boy curled a lock of the child's hair between his fingers.*

Inari: The bath, I think. We could both do with the cleansing after what happened. After that...well

*A knowing smile crosses their face, brushing the fingers that were toying with their hair with their lips*

Inari: We’ll see what happens, shall we?

Rozyus: *Blush* th-that look of yours should be a sin you know that?

Both: *Chuckle*

Inari: Perhaps. But I think it’s a sin neither of us truly mind.

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment