Sunday 30 October 2016

Meeting With Mother: Part 2




--- Last Time ---

Mother: Now, tell me, what was this dream about?

Boy 2: You just witnessed it….

--- Continuing ---

Mother: *Chuckles* that's not what I meant, little one. I mean your premonitions.

*She smiles sweetly while scooping the child in her arms.*

Boy 2: Premonitions…..Oh…. *Quietly, he puts his arms around his mother’s shoulders and rests his head against her* I don’t like to look at them. They’re scary, sometimes…..

Mother: I know dear, but so is life, scary beautiful and bittersweet. But little one know this you have the power to turn thous scair images into beautiful ones.

*She rises carrying the child to a reflecting pool before walking into the center, setting the child down in the water; slowly images of  six warriors emerge battered and bruised smoke and fallen warriors at their feet.*

Boy 2:  Every time I see things, it’s always the same people…..but I see things, sometimes, that don’t seem to be from the same path. Sometimes, I see them winning, sometimes losing….And sometimes I see them….changed. Like….I know it’s them, but at the same time they look different. *gently running his hand through the water, watching the images ripple and change in the reflective waters* Its like….its different from when you weave fate. It’s almost like you have loads of different ones that come from the same starting point, but if something happens, then the knot that ties them all together would unravel. I don’t know….but I guess….it’s cause of free will? That fate might change if they choose different paths or something? But in all of them…..*Shivering, he hugs himself* I see death, Mother….

*Slowly, the woman's feet descend into the water casting a new image in the water*

Mother:  My sweet boy, look in the mirror, we cast….

*The image of a man and a woman holding hands one moment working together to create a future one moment and fighting the next is repeated, the landscape changes time after time as both time and soldiers rise and fall at both the man and womans feet.*

Mother: What do sense, little one? Not what you see. Tell me what you sense.

Boy 2: Sense? *Closing his eyes for a moment, the boy concentrates. Slowly, his expression softens.* I…. Can sense something else. Is it…..love? Is that what you want me to sense, beyond the pain?

Mother: Mmmh… yes, but not just that. Don't forget: the strongest, yet most fragile thing in the world… hope and faith. It’s what drives the heart of men. It allows even the weak to stand and fight, to protect both their ideals and people they hold close.

*She sighs and closes her eyes.*

Mother: This isn't the first time I’ve danced to the song of war, and it surely won't be the last, but… but I know that even in my darkest hour, if I hold onto hope, love and faith, things will get better. And, if you want an example of this, look no further than your idiot brother…

Boy 2: Uh….I don’t think I want to look closer at him. I might end up with cooties or something, considering all the ‘love love’ he tosses around.

Mother: Hahahaha

*She pets the small child in her arms *

Mother: That's not what I meant. Because of what he is, he doesn't seem to fit anywhere. As strong as his physical, he may just be the most fragile person in my army. But, he found love. He is so desperately clinging onto it, that it drives him closer to his goals and he has faith in his someone to help him to carve a future together. A world where they can live in peace and happiness, without fear of any threats in our current state and a world where they can be free.

Boy 2:  Do you think that if they believe in that strong enough, they can beat the war that's coming without anyone having to die?

Mother: They both know the risks, and the what war reaps. That's why, in the little time they have, they cherish each second. Hence the fools love they both wear like a cloke. If one were to perish, the other would struggle to survive… until their work is done. Then, the poor soul left behind would join the other.  

Boy 2: If one of them died….wouldn’t the other stay for me at all? I’d get lonely…’specially if big brother goes. The others don’t like me much….

Mother: They wouldn’t be able to survive on their own, my darling. They balance each other out. And that’s not true, they all love you in one way or the other. Plus, what about your tutor? You seen to be getting along with him just fine.

*She gives a knowing smile.*

Boy 2: That’s different. Teacher is teacher. He’s not everyone else. But he’s…...he’s my teacher, he’s not my brother….And it’s just…..everyone here is big brother’s comrades for the war. But you told me I can’t fight with them….if they go away….if they all die….I’d…..be alone again. A-and then there’s the others, I mean….like big old grumpy. They don’t like me. I’m unnatural to them...So if my friends are all gone, no one will like me any more….

Mother: I may have asked you to sit this war out, but, little one, you wont me alone. Not now, not ever. The people you meet, the places you will travel to, the memories will all be with you. They live within you. And, when the time comes, you will be with them again.

Boy 2: *holds up his little finger* Do you promise?

*Extends her pinky finger*

Mother: It’s a promise, my boy. Now let’s have a little fun!

*She gives a sadistic grin.*

Boy 2:  ….When you smile like that, it’s really really scary……*Grins back* Are we going to play with old grumpy again?

Mother: Yeeees, but why don’t we play with the love birds, first? I’m still upset about being ignored

Boy 2: Big brother’s in troooooooouble! *Giggling and hugs his mother* What are we going to do? I wanna play!

Mother: You’ll see

Boy 2: Ooooh, a surprise? I love surprises!

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment