Wednesday 26 October 2016

Meeting with 'Mother'



--- Unknown Location ----

*Deep inside a archaic temple, the sound of a spindle winding can be heard, a beauty is hard at work spinning her threads, all at once she stops… a questioning look appears on her face.*

Mother: ...Now?

Child: Is there something that you can see in the threads, Mother?

Mother: ...It would appear that we are on the precipice of war, my child.  

*She lowers her head, and sighs*

Mother: It is like I can almost hear it the drums of war. They are faint but, they are there.

Child: *Closing their eyes for a moment, before approaching the woman, gently running a hand over the spindle* While my talents don’t lie in foresight, I think it’s something that we’ve known for a while. Some deny it, preferring to live in a world of a beautiful lie, but….There are those of us who know that it’s unrealistic to think that it wouldn’t come to this…. *sighs* But even so, we’re forewarned right now. It would be best to prepare, right?

Mother: Yes… but all the players in this ‘game’ that He and I play, are still small. While He plans, I am raising soldiers to defend both the mundane and this realm. you, yourself, are blooming quite well, while others…

*She looks at the sheeping boys in the corner of her chamber*

Mother: Others are harder to rase…

Child: Perhaps….But I….have faith in them. For what it’s worth. I believe that they will attain something that others of our kind have failed to gain for a long time. Though….*The child turns to face the mother, placing a hand on her arm* If it comes to it, until they are ready, I will protect them, and protect as much as I can. While I’m still relatively young, I am not unskilled. And I….Have too much to lose to allow Him to do as he wishes. *He offers a closed eyed smile* Although….I think I can tell, without asking, what kind of fate that might lead me to. Mother, may I ask something of you?

Mother: Anything, my sweet child

Child: There is something that I’d like for you to hold onto for me. If it is my fate to fall in the battles to come, then there is something that I would like to offer to them, something to help keep them safe and protected, even if I am to pass, or even if my soul is shattered. Even if my body is obliterated, it is my wish to protect them, to protect your true child, no matter what. Can you do that for me, Mother?

*She remains silent for some time and lays her head in her hands, attempting to keep her composer, before looking in the direction of the two boys.*

Mother: I will, but… what if it was not you, but that child, who was destined to perish? What would you do then…? hypothetically speaking.

*She holds out her hand, expecting to receive what the younger had to offer.*

Mother: What would you do if you were to lose everything, including that child?

Child: *places a wrapped bundle in her hands* You know that I would never let the threat get to them before me. Even if it tore me apart….But…..even so, I am not so foolish as to believe it couldn’t happen, that they could never be taken away from me. War is not kind, even I know that, as much as it is my antithesis. But…..Should the impossible happen, and either of them…..especially him….falls before me, then I will carry them with me, their memory, and finish what they could not. And, for their sakes, I would ram the fallen’s weapon straight through the enemy, and they will know that the victory would be that of my loved ones, not my own victory. For the peaceful, beautiful world they envisioned…...And….once the dream is attained….I would join them. I know...I’m sorry, if that isn’t the answer that you wanted to hear. But without them, without ‘him’, especially, I’m not sure that there would be much of a ‘me’ left to live beyond then, you know?

Mother:...

*She chuckles slightly*

Mother: You know, I asked him the same question years ago and he said the same thing. But that child is fated to carry a different type of burden, as each of the heros do. But I don't think he would ever recover… not in one piece. And you, dear child… don't try and change the threads. Don't take it into your own hands. The light you carry, the light you create in each of their hearts will affect the outcome of this war. Dear child, please, when the time comes, I hope that you will understand.

Child: I Cannot say that I will fully understand, at least not until the time comes, but I know that fate is not my domain. Even so, I carry a light within me that might change the course of the future. A light that me and my companions all bare. With that in mind, I will believe. I will believe that with that light, and our bonds, that we will create a path to a better future. I don’t need to toy with powers far beyond my understanding. With our hands, we will bring about the future that we all desire. And I will trust in you, too. I know that, whatever the outcome of our actions, that it was what was needed, to bring about the ideal we are working so hard for. To ‘play around’ with the threads could make a easy victory, but it would be at the cost of the true future. I would not risk the sacrifices of everyone in such a cruel way, that might render their actions in vain. No, Mother, you need not worry about me touching the threads. Instead, I ask that you watch over us, as with our own will, we will save our futures, and will do so in a way that, even if we are fated to meet our ends, that we do so with no regrets.

*One of the two boys begin to stir, staggering over to the first child, clinging on weakly.*

Boy 1: Oh? You’re back…. Welcome home, my love

Mother: Good evening

Boy 1: My love, how was your trip?

Mother: …. Such a rude boy... I am here, am I not?

Child: Haha, well, they do say that fate is guided by an unseen hand, Mother. *walks to the boy and takes his hands in their own* Still, thank you for the warm welcome back, my love. It’s good to be home. I have missed you. Thoughts of you have stayed with me through my journey, but to see you again, in the flesh, is a far more inviting prospect.

*The younger boy blushes a rosy pink, and looks around the room in embarrassment*

Boy 1: I-I, w-well I… My love, the things you say are suggestive...

Child: Are they? I just speak what is in my heart. Is it wrong that I often long to be by your side? Even to merely be in your presence makes my heart sing. So, if that makes me seem ‘suggestive’ then I have no regrets, so long as you are near me.

Boy 1: I... um… well…

*The boy blushed a few shades more, wrapping arm around the older child.*

Boy 1: You really know how to make my heart sing. Your words are like fine silk... how many have heard such words while we’ve been apart? How long do you intend on keeping me waiting here? I want to be where you are. Do you really wish for me to stay by you? Then why don't you bring me with you? I may be weak but… I….

Child: The only one to hear such words from me is you. To say such things to another, I would rather cut out my own tongue. *Touches the boy’s cheek* No, for me, that I can affect you in the way you can effect me, that is my one true happiness. *Sighing, the child looks away* My heart aches when I have to leave your side, but if something were to happen to you, before you are ready to face it, it would destroy me too. *Meeting the boy;’s eyes once more, gentle squeezing the boy’s hands in their own* Once you are strong enough, I will welcome to in the battlefield at my side. Until then, you are my reason to fight, and to return. You are my reason to live, and so I will do my best to protect you, until you can protect yourself as well. But know this, that even if we are apart, that it is you who brings me home, your warmth, your light, your soul. Though I know it is selfish of me, to wish for the war never to have to taint that. Still, become stronger for me, and when the time comes, we will be by each other’s sides, through darkness and light, forever.

Boy 1: My love!!!

*The Boy clings to the Child even tighter, placing a airy kiss on the Child’s lips*

Boy 1: I will work hard, so I can be by you forever! Just wait, I will become both a beauty and the strongest fighter and tactician in this realm! This I promise you, my love.

Child: That is something that I will not, could never, doubt. If it is you, my heart, I believe that anything can be possible.

Boy 2: Any sweeter in here and I’ll get a cavity. Yuch, yuch! Too sweet!

Mother: I know, right? But it’s entertaining.

Boy 2: Get a room already...

Boy 1: Oh mother, when did you get here? Hi little brother, you’re awake already?

Boy 2: *Sarcasm* Oh, no, I’m tooootally still asleep. I’m having a nightmare right now of drowning in sickly sweetness. And you’re in it too. Wow, a horrible dream, right?

Boy 1: My love, they said something about going to our room. Let’s go!

Mother:  He didn’t hear a word of that, did he?

Boy 2: Nope.

Child: *Laughs* It would seem that my presence is required elsewhere. *Sweeps up Boy 1 in their arms* I believe you said something about rooms? What are your orders, your majesty?

Boy 1: Oh, um, I… we should go to our room and, um. you’ll have to tell me about your time away from me… That’s all.

Mother: No deflowering the little bud. He hasn’t finished blooming yet.

Boy 2: Blooming?

Child: We’ll tell you when you’re older. But that you would believe me of doing such a crime, it hurts my soul, Mother. My passion is in growing plants, after all. I know how to treat a flower that is not yet bloomed fully. I promise to treat him well, and care for him until that time. With his permission, of course.

Boy 1: M-mother! My love! Don't tease me like that! And permission for what?

Mother: My sweet child, you of all people don't need permission ‘when the time comes’; he is already yours… I’m counting on you to raise him well.

Child: Of course. Well, if you excuse us. I believe I have a date with a lovely rose right now. *Carries Boy 1 out of the room*

Mother: *Chuckle*

Boy 2: Do I want to know?

Mother: Probably not… Now, tell me, what was this dream about?

Boy 2: You just witnessed it….

[END] 

No comments:

Post a Comment