Wednesday 19 October 2016

Dysfunctional Down at the Con: NYC Edition




Tara: Hey everyone! Tara and Nadia here! So, we mentioned last time that we went to the con while we were in New York, but we kiiiiiinda spent so long talking about the other days that we didn’t get to talk about it. So, today, we’re going to talk about our NYCC day and our (mis)adventures on that day. And….oh boy….it was a day….



Nadia: Ooooh god, where do we start?



Tara: The beginning is always good.



Nadia: *Glare* Snarky bastard. ANYWAY! We woke up early the morning of the con. Even though i wasn’t feeling it and getting ready was a bitch my corset wasn’t working for me by fuck toothbrush was misplaced, and my shoes were pinching my feet for some damn reason.



Tara: Well, we had been doing a lot of walking around the day before, which probably explained the shoes. But anyway, we eventually got ourselves in our outfits for the day. Though it wasn’t exactly the best start. I mean, I fought with that wig of mine for ages. I’m pretty sure it came alive at one point and was trying to strangle me or something. It had it in for me! Honest!



Nadia: pft! Really?



Tara: Yes, really. Wig’s can be a bit temperamental and can wig out on you at any moment *solemn nods*



Nadia: Eeeehhhhh? Ok, now I’m looking at my wigs and locking them in the closet. But anyway, before we set off downstairs to get breakfast i went to the bathroom and, oh lord, the level of bitching I heard from the stalls



Girl 1: ‘Oh god, they’re coming along too?



Girl 2: ‘Unfortunately. Hopefully they won’t take a year to get ready. I mean, how long were we waiting for them again?’’



Girl 1 ‘45 minutes to an hour… I think’



Grl 1: ‘It’s ridiculous though, we had a time to meet up. Don’t waste everyone else's time, like, I mean, we should have just left them there.’



Nadia: ‘Bitch you wanna come say that again? Is it our fault we only got a response after myself and T were back at the hotel? Is it our fault that the trip leader changed plans on us?! WELL, an’, bitch, if you have something to say say it to my damn face because, the next time you do this shit again, ima piano key you teeth out!’



Girl 1&2: …… (both leave without a word)



Tara: Well….the threat probably wasn’t needed, but….well….it did kind of hurt. I mean, the day we were late for the meetup, we had asked the where and when that we would need to meet before we split up from them, with us being told to meet back at the hotel at 4pm. However, there wasn’t really a good internet connection outside of wifi points (something the other group knew), so when they changed plans on us, we didn’t know anything about it until we got back to the hotel. So in all honesty, it wasn’t our fault that the info we were told that morning was wrong. So that we were being spoken about like that actually really hurt. I’m the kind of person who really hates upsetting others, so….well….it kind of made the day a bit depressing to start with...I mean, it was a bit uncalled for anyway, as we were ready before half of the people going.



Nadia: not just that the whole trip was disorganized  we came down early got food met up with the trip leaders, waited another 25 minutes for every on a person STILL got left behind and not no mention the mayhem that was arriving and getting the tickets.



Tara: Ah yes, that was a bit….uh….interesting. So, basically for the con, there was two ways you could get your tickets. The first was by having the tickets delivered directly to you, for a price. This was what I did (mainly as I panicked a bit when buying the ticket due to a time limit). The other way was through something called ‘Will Call’, where you get a confirmation email that you take along with you and pick up your ticket on the day. Nadia did this method. In our group, there was some who chose delivery, and some that chose Will Call. As we had two trip leaders, both of whom picked different ticket methods, we split into two groups as there was two entrances for the different methods. (or rather the Will Call people had to go to a different area to get their tickets before going through the main entrance). So…..here’s where things got a little messy. Basically the Delivery people followed the crowd to the main entrance with our secondary course leader (we’ll refer to as C from this point), and joined the cue, which was literally doing laps around the building. So, eventually, some of the Will Call group joined us. But…..well, not all of them. We found out from C that Course Leader One (We’ll refer to as A from now on) had….well….left the others. It was only by chance some of the group managed to find us, and the rest were missing, with no idea how to contact us. C was furious at A for this, and I was worried out of my mind for Nadia, who had no idea where to meet me, either.



Nadia: My only saving grace was the fact that our friend (we’ll call B from this point) was with me. I swear, I was going to kill A for doing his little disappearing act AGAIN! (one day, I’ll tell you guys about that other story).



Also to the hag that was working at the desk, if you don’t know how to use a computer, get the FUCK OFF IT AN’ LEAVE IT TO THE YOUNGER GENERATION, YOU OLD DECREPIT BITCH! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!



I was standing there for 20 or so minutes waiting on her to figure this shit out. 4 people had to help her scan and register one ticket! I’ve never seen anything like it in my life. And here’s me getting annoyed, B trying to calm me down and I’m not taking it and, as soon as I’m about to cuss a bitch out ‘here’s your ticket. Go down the hall to the left, they’ll let you right in’. So we go to the left and they tell us NOPE, gotta round the building…. I’ll spare you the long details and let’s just say that it was the longest slow march to death of a mile that I’ve done in my life! I was hungry, I was pissed, my feet were killing me (at that point I just took off my shoes) and people were shoving each other just to get in… B ended up holding my hand just so we wouldn’t be separated and at that point, when we finally got in…. Where the fuck was our group? All I could see was a sea of people at this point. Even B was all types of pissed! I came up with the idea that these sorts of places usually had wifi. Once we had that sweet sweet delicious wifi, we final found Tara n C.



Tara: Me and C had a similar idea, leaving Facebook messages and the like. We thankfully ended up making a meeting point and the four of us were reunited in front of the lego stand (with a creepy giant Lego Supergirl glaring at us. Oh well, not my fault if creepy Lego figures don’t like the fact we were relieved that we finally found each other, right?)





Nadia: we were all types of pissed and relieved by the time we met up and if i wasn't feeling it before i certainly wasn't now.  It was packed my feet were hurting C was fangirling over a few artis. We got a few cards but that was about it.



Tara: I kinda felt a little bad for sort of dragging Nadia around a bit. Well, I say I, B and C were still with us for most of the time. B ended up drooling over a Nightwing statue, and I ended up with a comic and some books. Oh, and this adorable dragon ‘pet’. But honestly, after that point when C and B had headed off to some panels, I had to admit that I was feeling pretty ready to go, as much fun as I did have after the panic was over. I mean, the shoes I had were cosplay ones, not really suitable for the hours we spent on our feet and I was practically crippled myself by the time we were done. So we sent a message to C saying we’d be going early and we’d meet everyone back at the hotel (I say ‘early’, but it was….like….two at that point. We spent most of the day there and it was only an hour before we would have left anyway). We didn’t want to upset anyone again and C has internet access, so we thought that was fine. After that, we made our way back to the hotel via the Subway - yay for downloaded subway maps! But honest, we were knackered. I literally was limping at that point too.



Nadia: By the time we got back to the hotel and wound down, it was, like, 3:30 and then I get an angry phone call

A: ‘Where are you guys? It’s past our meeting time’



Nadia: ‘We’re back at the hotel, A. We sent C a message. What happened to it?’



A: ‘Oh, well, C’s phone isn’t working right now.’



Nadia: ‘Is that so? Ok, well, we’re at the hotel because we’re quite tired, but we will be leaving later tonight and will be going to dinner later.’



A: ‘Ok’



Nadia: ‘Alright, A, see you later’ *click!*



Tara: So, basically, our plan to make sure what happened last time didn’t happen again didn’t work. And now I felt bad yet again. I know it wasn’t my fault or anything that a phone went dead, but…..Even so, it made us seem like terrible people yet again…..



Nadia: At that point, I was so pissed I couldn’t bring myself to care… honestly, but we lifted our spirits with good food though.



Tara: Yeah, we went to Yupduck again, since we liked the place the first time we went. So some good food, nice chatting and giant rice balls again that we had to take away so we could go to the hotel to watch youtube vids and unwind. It was a nice ending to the day, even if there was a lot of ups and downs and complications. I think, if I would sum up the day in a word, it would either be ‘Dysfunctional’ or ‘Complicated’



Nadia: Not much I can add to that, there, but yeah rice balls and Markaplier makes my days better.



[END]


No comments:

Post a Comment