Thursday 18 August 2016

Calm Before The Storm

Violet: *Inhales and presses a button* Alastair. Tea. Now!!!

Alastair: *Voice from over the con system* Of course, Milady. *A little later, the door to Violet’s office opens, and Alastair walks through, carrying a tray of tea and accompaniments. He carefully lays it on the table* You appeared to be under some stress, so I took the liberty of making camomile tea. I also brought some snacks - you have been holled up in here for some time. Is there anything I can aid you with?

Violet: I am concerned…. ‘Her’ kill count is getting higher and higher with each passing day. Plus… that little seal limiting her will not hold for too long.  I’m... afraid... of what will happen if she ‘wakes up’ before her time. *Takes a sip of the beverage*

Alastair: I see….It is as ??? predicted during his last report...Where her kill count is concerned, it is the unfortunate side effect of her job, combined with how she was previously trained - it would take much more than slightly shifting her attentions to fully change that. We should be thankful that her targets are our enemies, and not our allies...However, even so...you’re worries are not unfounded, if what ??? said is true. However, I have been assured by him that the seal is not currently in danger of breaking, at least not without extreme circumstances. We have time to prepare.

Violet: Do you understand how her abilities work? The more heated she gets, the wilder she becomes. These field missions that we will deal with...There is no doubt that it will spark something... *Grips cup*

Alastair: Indeed, there is no doubt. However, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it will happen now. We are taking precautions, at the very least to minimize the damage. Is that not why we chose the Shrine girl to be a part of the team? Her power, at least, would calm the seal for a little while. And if it does break, ??? has assured me that he can subdue her until the power is once more under her control. However, forgive me for needing to ask, but if there is such a threat that even you are concerned, why did you chose to bring her into Pandora? Surely, if she was so uncontrollable, without a hint of her gaining control, then she would have been placed in an environment that would not expose her to such situations. Surely, you must have some faith in her?

Violet: She is my Godchild. It is my responsibility to guard her, to help mold her in the place of her parents. And…. I have no say in this.... It is merely time to reintroduce her to the world she is from. Unfortunately, I have no voice this time. Even I am under the constraints of a higher power. Fate has a sadistic manner of molding the future, does it not, Alastair?

Alastair: Indeed, it has always been the way of things, to ensure that the strongest survive to continue into the future, even now in ‘modern civilisation’. Still, forgive me for saying so, but my concern is not for the way of the world *kneels beside her and takes her hand in servitude* My concerns will forever be for you, and you alone, milady. As such, if you wish it, I may act as your shield and sword, your tool in the protection of innocents, and in guiding your godchild. All you need to do is give the order.

Violet: Hmph… Quite the loyal dog, Aren’t you?..... Alister, come closer.

Alastair: As you wish. *Stands once more, but leans close as instructed.* What is your desire, Milady?

Violet: You…. Your love, your loyalty and a promise. That’s all

Alastair: The former wishes were those that you have had; for as long as I have serve you, and for as long as I live, even beyond. For the latter, speak: What is the promise? For I am sure that, if it is within my power, I may grant it.

Violet: *Kisses him* That is why I love you, Alastair. Promise me you won't leave me for more than thirty days. It should be enough time to ease her into our world, but I do not want to be left alone for too long.

Alastair: My first priority is you, always, Milady. If that is your desire, I shall make this promise. Nothing shall delay my return to your side, even if I should walk through hell to return. Thirty days, and no more. *Taking her hand, he presses his lips to her knuckles* As I perform my other duties to perfection, this, too, I shall complete to your satisfaction, Milady.

Violet:  Shall we regroupe in China? One of ??? bars in Beijing - you are aware of the one I speak of?

Alastair: I am aware, yes. ??? has mentioned it in the past. That will serve us well as a meeting point. Once my duty is completed, I will be there as requested.

Violet: … Alastair….. What if I’m unable to stop her…? As a child, she was difficult to tame and I…. If anything happen… the last thing I… *Shivers as she imagines the worst fears coming back to her*

Alastair: Milady...Remember, we are not alone in this, we have allies. Even if you, alone, can not stop her, others can. ??? would not turn a blind eye, neither would the shrine girl, nor myself. Together, we shall prevail. For now, all I ask, is that you believe in your strength, and ours. We shall not allow the worst to occur. This, I also promise you, and this, as with all my promises, I shall not allow to break.

Violet: … Yes, you’re right, I apologise for my behaviour. How weak of me…  I’m not much of a leader, am I…? *Sad chuckle* How do I expect-

*Communicator begins to buzz*

Alastair: ….*Unhappy about the interruption* ….Please, excuse me for a moment. *flips open communicator to check the call ID.* ??? is calling. A moment, Milady. *Answers the com* Joubert here.

???: ALASTAIR! We have a problem!!!!! T she...s need…. The line.. Can you *click!*

Alastair: ! *Stares at the communicator a moment, before quickly turning to Violet *Milady, we have a problem

Violet: problem, alastair? Tell me what’s going on?

Alastair: The line was broken, but enough got through. It seems that some complication has occurred. Something’s wrong with Miss Washington.

Violet: Dear gods…. Try and make contact, quickly!!! I’ll contact our Japanese branch from here.

Alastair: At once, Milady.

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment