Wednesday 9 May 2018

Sweet Dreams Pt 13


---Last Time---

Huxian: *Sigh* Perhaps it’s merely what I was taught as a kit, but isn’t it considered rude to barge in and demand one’s lady to hurry when they are attempting courtship?

Nikolai: That is no concern of yours and your input in regards to my fiance is sorely unneeded. You have five minutes, Ro

*With a gust of wind, the younger man vanishes.*

Rodessa: *Kisses Teeth* I can’t stand Niki sometimes, I swear!

Huxian: It does seem he suffers quite heavily with arrogance. Had Engetsu sad such a thing to your mother, she would have drop kicked him from Valhalla without second thought.

Rodessa: PFT! I love you, fluff, I really do. Come on, the sooner we get this hell over with, the sooner we can go back to making… eh hanging out.

*The two made their way to the garden area, where the girl’s mother and suitor were waiting. Gracefully bowing, Nikolai took the girl’s hand, leading her out to the garden. There was a romantic vibe that lingered in the air along with the soft glow of candles.*

Nikolai: How is everything to your liking, my lady?

Rodessa: *Monotone* It’s lovely. I’m sure if I were the type of girl to fall for this crap, then it would be quite the turn on. But since I’m with you… it’s meh... ok.

Nikolai:*Flat look* ...Would it kill you to pretend to be excited?

Rodessa: *Disinterested* It might, but who’s asking.

---------------------

Nikolai: Would you at least grant me a chance? This is all I ask. Please Ro…

Rodessa: *Sigh* ….

*Meanwhile, Huxian, having promised Engetsu he would not interfere with the other suitors beyond proving himself a better candidate in his actions with Rodessa, after watching Nikolai lead the girl to their ‘picnic’, sighed and silently followed Rodessa’s mother back into the kitchen. Thankfully, the kitchen had a window that overlooked the garden, and so, with tea in hand, both Valkyrie and Huli Jing sat beside it, absently watching proceedings. While they couldn’t hear the words being said between them, even with Huxian’s sharp vulpine ears, he absently read their body language as best he could, trying to read lips whenever Nikolai or Rodessa happened to be at an angle to see. Unfortunately, that wasn’t often. As such, he had to rely on body language almost completely.

Unbeknownst to himself, Huxian’s fingers tightened on his mug slightly, claws biting into ceramic in quiet nervousness and silent frustration. There was a brief but noticeable giggle as the clinking of a bottle was set down in the counter-top.*

Mother: Worried? Here fluffy come drink with me.

*Huxian jumped ever so slightly, mind wrenched from where it had been solely focused on Rodessa and Nikolai and he whipped around, wide eyed a moment to blink at the mother incomprehensibly before her words finally reached his brain. Not to mention the odd scent that reached his nose from the bottle set between them*

Huxian: Ah…um...I...heh...I’m not worried…

*Even he knew it was a pathetic attempt at a lie.

Sheepishly, ears flicked back and pink on his cheeks, he looked away, pushing his empty cup to her*

Huxian: *Weakly* ...Please.

*She smiled, taking the cup and rinsing it out, before pouring the alcohol in the freshly washed cup and offered the drink to the anxious man.*

Mother: *Chuckle* It’s almost twilight, I think its ok. You worry too much, you know that? ‘Your woman’ won't be stolen away, trust me. What was it she called herself? Yeah, ‘Stalker’ was it? She’s as obsessed with you as her father is with forcing her hand in this.

*Taking a breath, Huxian nodded, a ghost of a smile crossing his face as he took the cup from her*

Huxian: There is that. Although...she’s not ‘my woman’, you know. Rodessa’s too...well, Rodessa to ever be some kind of object. But...it’s like you said, she’s stubborn. I...I should definitely trust in that. But….honestly, its not her going with Nikolai that worries me…

*He curled his fingers around his cup, frowning into the surface of the alcohol*

Huxian: They might not mean to do it, but...the way Engetsu is pushing this, despite what Ro feels….The way that Nikolai seemed to completely dismiss manners like going into her room without knocking like he has the right to disregard her privacy...I know they genuinely care, but….why do they act like Rodessa’s a prize to be won? She’s a person, with thoughts, feelings, hopes and dreams….Maybe its the wild animal in me, but I just don’t understand why. Why it feels like she’s a songbird in a gilded cage that in the end has no say as to who is in the room when she is to sing...And then there’s how Nikolai reacted when I pointed out that she is as much your daughter as Engetsu. He acted so offended by the idea. How can Engetsu be so happy to want to...to marry her to someone who can’t accept half of who she is?

*He sighed, closing his eyes*

Huxian: And what’s worse is I know they both love her. I know they care and want what's best for her, but all I can see is people pushing and pulling, hoping to give her some grand future without even bothering to see what future she herself wants, even if I can logically work out why.

*He laughs a little, no real humour there, even if a small smile crosses his face*

Huxian: ...Then again, I’ve come to the realisation I think too much with my heart than my head. And my feelings have a tendency sometimes to drown out the logic and slyness I have. Some Celestial lord, huh?

*Shaking his head hard, he tries for a smile to the mother*

Huxian: Ah...I’m sorry. You probably weren’t too interested in my babbling. Guess I really am a lot more nervous than I thought.

*Taking a swig of her drink, the girl’s mother sat down and gestured Huxian to do the same.*

Mother: *Swirling drink in hands*  First of all, she is… to everything you said she is. She IS your woman, the girl said as much countless times. It a title she’s desperately clinging to. Whether that notion rings true is up to you, as only you can grant her that.

Secondly, she IS loved by my husbands clan. She is there future leader and their beloved ‘princess’ above all else. They wish for her to sing like a canary, but because of her blood and her strong will she would deny them and sing for a beloved warlord instead. Her love song is yours. And yours alone.

Her hand IS a price, more valuable than any currency. That’s why all her suitors are… irritable when she is involved, but are otherwise fine when she is no longer a point of discussion.

*The girl’s mother look a long sip before resuming.*

Mother: But that girl, being the renegade that she is, might just be the person to change all of that, if raised properly. Knowing the values and traditions of the clan, yet being separate from it, and individual like that, well, she might just bring new ideas into the mix. A good change, if you ask me.  The only thing is she’ll need a good partner to help her with that goal. Do you have any suggestions?

In regards to that idiot and the younger pup, they mean no harm; the boy still thinks she’s three, and he’s seven, where its ok to just wander into her room. In some ways, he still is a child. Not too long ago he was still adorable in his little ears and bushy tailed, it may take a little for him to realise there are certain things on can not do now that the lady has… matured. *Giggle*

I bet seeing you both in bed together and all 'coupley' was a shock to the system, hence his little temper tantrum. But, unlike the idiot in chief, he’s a lot more ‘flexible’ in his ideals. But that also may take a little while for the jealousy to disperse and logic to kick in.    

Huxian: Hm….yes, I suppose I wasn’t entirely wrong with my assessments then. Mostly the fact that Rodessa’s loved, and that, despite not understanding the thought processes they are trying to do their best. Even so, denying parts of who she is will only cause problems for everyone in the long run. Denying things that not only make her, well, her, but would also be useful to the clan in a logical standpoint, especially in a leader...Its that part I don’t quite get. And while I know there is the lingering prejudice and I understand why those of mixed blood tend to be seen in a negative light, but denying its there at all? We all know that wouldn’t work, not if she wants to remain in one piece. After all, one can only control their power by first acknowledging power is there.

*He runs a hand through his hair*

Huxian: Perhaps that isn’t the case at all and I’m simply misreading Nikolai’s dislike for me, thus dismissing my words, as being a dislike for the reminder? After all, I feel no jealousy towards Nikolai, not really. Its as you say, even if the title could be seen as that of an object rather than an endearment, she had happily proclaimed herself ‘my woman’.

*He turns almost shy, cheeks a little pink once more*

Huxian: ...I...even if I’m not worthy of it...I’d be very happy to be hers…

*Quickly he moved on, gulping some of the alcohol to avoid looking at the mother (Who surely had a knowing look on her face) for a moment. Once he was sure his composure was back in place, he continued*

Huxian: Anyway...ah...I’ll admit I only know a little about the situation with the Ashu-Wahari people, considering I had….ah...my own messes to clean up. While I’m still a little....tentative on my leading skills after….well, after everything with Lihua...I can….if I can catch up on what’s happening I could think up some things. I did play a little as adviser to Engetsu’s Night Parade, so...I could probably think up a few ideas to bounce around. The ending decisions would of course have to remain Rodessa’s once she’s the head, but I found having an outside view on things does help. This doesn’t mean people will listen, though. Its as you said, they are stuck in their ways somewhat, despite good intentions. It takes time and hard work to change the mentality of an enclosed group. Especially one that has stuck to a system for centuries, or even decades.

Mother: So your saying you will be the one at her side? As her partner to change their clans ways. That might be interesting.

*Humming* I wouldn’t say they're ‘stuck in there ways’ as such. Enji’s father married a turned half breed. Enji married me,  diluting the bloodline and ushering a new wave of halfbreeds into the clan. And now our little child of two is diluting it further with you. But the end of it I think they're afraid that there won't be any cut little ears and cottontails left.

*Chuckle* but I don't think they realise the odds of her producing a pup are slightly higher than a kit. The wolf gene is strong in that one. My genes barely show up apart from those puny wings that are no longer there…

*Sigh* My little pup is growing up way to fast. I might just have another one so I can cuddle it a little longer…. Shit, that old dogs rubbing off on me…damn it.  

Huxian: Well, neither of us seem to want to leave the other any time soon. And if that’s the case I’ll do what I can. Even if they don’t particularly approve of me, I’ll work my way up. I did it before, I can do it again. And this time I won't even need to win against two dragons to do it.

*He laughed slightly. At least no physical dragons, anyway. There might be a few women who could be considered dragons he might have to overcome, but that would be a different kettle of fish to the two Tianlong he had to contend with in his own rise to power back in his homeland*

Huxian: And I wouldn’t worry, I doubt, should we conceive in the future, the children would lack in the ears and tail department. If they gain some sorcery, well, it’s not a terrible thing, right? Though thinking of children right now is a little too soon, I think. Best not to get ahead of ourselves.

*He reached over and patted the woman’s hands*

Huxian: You know though, even growing up, she really does love you two. I think she’d appreciate the hugs even years from now. *Amused* Well, perhaps a little less so from Engetsu, but he doesn’t seem to have a limiter to him. But she’d never say no to you.

Mother: *Chuckle* Is that so? And here I was thinking of getting her old baby booties out of the attic.

….You seem in better spirits, so I’m relieved. Besi-

*The Garden door opened with slam, startling the the pair.*

Rodessa: Ehhhh!!! I get it! Will you drop it already!!!

Nikolai: Make sure to keep your word!

Rodessa: OH shut up!!!!

Nikolai: I AM HOLDING YOU TO YOUR WORD, ROZA!

Rodessa: Persistent bastard!!!

Nikolai: ROZA!!!

Rodessa: Yeah, yeah, I get it, now get off my back! You have my word.

Nikolai: Thank you.

Rodessa: Jackass.

Nikolai: Thank you. I love you also.

Rodessa: Fuck off! I couldn't even enjoy my food when you’re around.

Nikolai: ...You didn’t even eat anything-

Rodessa: Exactly.

*Huxian couldn’t help but share a bemused, if concerned, look with the mother, before coughing into a hand to draw the attention of the newcomers to their audience*

Huxian: ...Would you like us to vacate the kitchen while you continue, or…?

*Looking into the direction of the familiar voice, the girl’s demeanor seemed to brighten, barging the younger man out the way to get to the older man.*

Rodessa: *Cute Smile* Hue! I missed to so much. Did you miss me too?

*The girl slid onto Huxian’s lap pecking at his lips*

Mother: *Monotone* Well, hi, how are you? I’m doing fine. Oh yes, dealing with your father’s been a barrel of laughs. No, I’m absolutely fine holding this house together and it’s not stressing me out at all~

Rodessa:*Blink* Hm? Oh, mum, you’re back. When did you arrive?

Mother *Raised brow, shaking her head* Seriously? Never mind, ragnarok could happen and you wouldn't notice when you’re with him, huh?

Nikolai: *Disgusted* Sickening, isn’t it? The way she’s like putty in his hands.

Rodessa: *Glare* Say sommin’, mutt?

Nikolai: *Rolling eyes* No, nothing. Nothing at all~

Huxian: Ah, I certainly wouldn’t put it that way...Although, in this case I do know a diversion tactic when I see one. I take it your...business...was concluded? At least that’s what it sounded like from the talks of whatever word has been given and your return here. Of course, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Nikolai: I am in no way obligated to discuss such matters with the likes of one such as yourself.

Rodessa: *Psychotic Grin* Ah and there is strike one of our agreement, Nicki. Three and you’re out and out little verbal contract will be void. Please, two more.

Huxian: Lord Nikolai, putting aside what is clearly between yourself and Rodessa, I believe I did not ask for details, merely if it was concluded or not. After all, if it is still underway, then I would accomodate, of course. If not, then I believe that I’m  also under no obligation to step aside. It was merely a courtesy.

*Closed eyed smile that seems anything but friendly*

Huxian: Of course, if you would like to do what you appeared in habit of doing lately and decide to leave in a huff to sulk, please, be my guest, Lord Nikolai.

Nikolai: *Grit Teeth and Bearing Fangs* BASTARD.

Rodessa: *Twirling a lock of his hair*...I think I’m open a door. I really shouldn't, but this darker side of you’s kinda hot, you know that? Um~ Roza like~

Huxian: I’m merely proving a point is all. *Opens eyes calmly* You, Lord Nikolai, are praised as an up and coming warlord who is a favourite to  become not only Rodessa’s fiancee, but also as the head alongside Rodessa. Likewise you have claim yourself as a person in higher standing and better positioning to myself because of your pure blood and your accomplishments. And yet...a few words has you bearing your fangs, a vague slight used has you raging like a common wolf rather than one of your noble ancestry. If I am not in your standing, if I am not a threat to you, why is it you lash out so easily? Where is the Warlord that  I heard such praises for?

*He leans forwards, resting his chin on the back of his steepled hands, calm in the face of his wrath*

Huxian: ...Tell me, why are you so afraid, Lord Nikolai Ivanov? Enough that you would seemingly forget everything taught to you. One day, whether or not you wed Rodessa, you will lead your branch of the Ashu-Wahari, and you will meet people, allies, enemies, people you despise from the bottom of your heart, but that you cannot allow to get to you, to anger you in the white hot rage you seem to experience when met by myself. Even if you can’t see me as insignificant enough not to hear, learn to temper your rage into something more useful. Even as a demon, my rage was not white hot, but cold as the arctic. Don’t let a few words make you lose control, otherwise you will be seen only as an upstart pup who got lucky, rather than the talented warlord I know you can be.

*He closes his eyes*

Huxian: Feel free to heed the advice or not. It matters not to me.

*The younger man looked on to the girls mother for backup but was quickly denied.*

Nikolai: Aunty, are you going to let some-!

Mother: ‘Some’ what? You would do well to head his word you busy idiot. I’ve been observing your actions ever since you arrived, and you have repeatedly shown me how unprepared for this role you wish to play. Do you expect me to believe that myself or your master would be happy giving away our daughter to a man who displays these childish mannerisms? It is unrefined and uncalled for.

Nikolai: *Dejected* Aunty?

Mother: *Sigh* An excellent soldier with good prospects, yes, you maybe, but it seems you’re still a bit too immature when it comes to your own emotions.

Huxian: Emotions are troubling things at times. However, if used right, they can lead to great things as well. Even if you dislike and hate me, I can tell you care for your people. *Warmer smile* That’s a good quality to have. All you need to do is just learn to control your feelings - never rid yourself of them, merely know when is the best time to act on them. Honestly, if you can do that, I think you’ll be a fine leader indeed, Lord Nikolai.

Nikolai: *Low Growl* I don't need the likes of you, preaching to me.

*The younger man grinded his teeth as he turned his heels, still fuming with rage, before disappearing into a plume of white smoke.*

Rodessa: *Leaning into Huxian* Hot headed bastard. He needs to take a cold shower… and find a girl he actually likes. Not one he's been programed to think he likes.

Thorn: Right.

Puppy: Yup! But I do feel sorry for big brother.

Rodessa: We made that deal to pacify him a bit, but… Still, he’s persistent and stubborn… That doesnt mix.

Trubbeling.

Huxian: As frustrating as it is for myself, in his mind I’m the interloper. Neither am I of the Ashu-Wahari, thus making me that much more of an outsider to him. Even so, to dismiss advise merely because of personal dislike isn’t something that will help him. The reason that Engetsu is an effective leader, despite his excentricities, is because he met with those outside the clan, created his Night Parade and accepted the advice and different viewpoints. At the moment, however, it is as you said, he was raised with certain expectations and between the two of us we’ve upset the status quo.

*He sighed, shaking his head*

Huxian: Of course, he might also be focusing too much of a single aspect of my life, thus making me seem like a terrible candidate for advice. In the end, though, it’s up to him if he wants to improve or not. Though angering you does seem to be rather against what he’s aiming for, if you ask me. Already on the first strike. Ouch…

*He gave a play wince, before turning to Rodessa, gently reaching up to toy with her hair, hoping to ease the tension away*

Huxian: Would it be wrong of me to ask what the ‘deal’ is? If it’s purely between all of you, I understand, but I will admit to being curious. Whatever it was certainly has him rather desperate for you to keep your end of this bargain. I hope it’s not dangerous?

Rodessa: *Looks on annoyed* I actually have to go on dates that bastard once a month from now until my coming of age ceremony ‘to get to know him better’. Like I don't already know the jackass well already. But on my end of the deal, if he insults you, harms you in any way or even tries to pull something in any way then he forfeit the right to being a suitor. Knowing him ,he would fail on the first day so he has five strikes, then his pale ass is out the door.  

Huxian: Ah, so essentially just what the whole suitor process usually entails but with added clauses. Though I imagine that most hope by the end of it they get chosen because you’ve fund something preferable in that particular suitor. *He offered a grin* You’re quite sly, my lady. I almost feel sorry for Nikolai….Maybe a hair….possibly.

*The girl snuggled close to Huxian, rubbing her face against his chest.*

Rodessa: Us sly, it must be due to a certain fluff rubbing off on me. But to be honest, I’m more petty than sly.

*The girl snapped her fingers, sending a long waiting message to a certain individual.*

Mother: Roza, whom did you send those photos to just now?

Rodessa: The clan. But don't worry ,the real racy stuff is for my eyes only. Well, mine and Hue’s after all.

Mother: *Annoyed* Well, I better get back to your father before he has a heart attack.

Huxian: Perhaps I should start writing my will….

Mother: *Point* Not you… Her.

Huxian: He’d never kill her. But either way, I wont keep you. Live strong!

*He made and exaggerated ‘energetic’ fist pump. After all, the poor woman had to deal with far more trouble than she needed to. And both of them were used to each other’s jokingly sarcastic and sometimes mockingly supportive behaviour (Unless he was in girl form but that was a different kettle of fish)

The girl mother shook her head while feebly attempting to stifle a grin, before stepping into another plane.

Exhausted, the girl leaned back into Huxian’s arms, rolling around, trying to catch his sent.*

Rodessa: Finally… peace and quiet…

Huxain: A rare commodity these days.

Rodessa: Yeah… Hey… the prep work for ‘that’ date is gonna go to waste. We didn't even get a chance to eat any of the food… So… um… wanna have a minny date? Or would that be in bad taste?

Huxian: *Sly grin* Only if the food is terrible.

Rodessa: *Flicked his ear* Fluffy, that was awful and you know it. Bad fluff.

Huxian: Oh noes, the pain, it hurts, other such ouchy lines. Anyway, food awaits!

*Huxian laughed while carrying the girl back outside, the gazebo. Staring at the craftsmanship of the ‘romantic’ atmosphere, Huxian looked around in amazement*


Huxian: Woooow….they really were going all out for this, huh?

Rodessa: I know right? Tacky, forced and overdone. Its so in-your-face that it’s a turn off. But, hey, the old man’s desperate. Either way, since all that work was put in, we might as well not waste it.

*Setting the girl down on the chair Huxian took  a place next to her, opening up the picnic basket.*

Rodessa: Quite a spread ha? Caviar and all.

Huxian: It almost feels like they’re trying to buy favour, huh? That or rid the world of some poor fish because they don’t want sushi anymore. Heathens.

Rodessa: *Giggle* Pft! I know right Let’s dig in.

[End]

No comments:

Post a Comment