Wednesday 4 April 2018

Sweet Dreams Pt 3


*It was fairly late in the day, the golden rays of the sun not quite reaching dusk shining through the windows, illuminating the room in a warm light that filled the two occupants with a sense of comfort. Lulled by the warmth, Huxian and the girl had taken to laying on one of the soft couches, the girl cuddled up to Huxian, who used his thick fluffy tails similar to a nest, allowing them both some comfort with less risk of either of them falling off the couch by shuffling around while trying to find a good position. Couches, after all, were not usually the best places to snuggle laying down side by side.

Glancing down into the nest of fluff, Huxian could see the girl curled up, limply relaxed while holding onto the tips of one of his tails like a teddy bear. He couldn’t help but snort as he realised it was the same tail she was always drawn to, the one with the slightly odd dark patch amongst the white. Unable to stop the mischievous amusement from breaking through his own emotional exhaustion, Huxian gently reached over and poked the girl’s soft cheek with a fingertip. She nuzzled into his touch letting out a soft howl.*

Girl: *Soft howl* Fluffy, sleep… let sleep… Zzzzz.

Huxian: *Soft chuckle* Sorry, sorry.

*Apologetically, he rubbed the soft fur of the girl’s lupine ear for a moment, before running a hand over her hair to soothe her back into slumber. The soft aromatic of freshly brewed hot chocolate perfumed the air, the girl still deep in her slumber sniffed the air before smiling and snuggling into the young man's tail once more.*

Mother: Cute.

Huxian: *Small smile* Well, she is your daughter. Is it surprising she inherited her charm from you?

Mother: *Raised Brow*  Pft! If your trying to persuade me onto your side, there's no need. I’m already there. But I was talking about both of you, not just the girl…. How you holding up? I’ve talked to that idiot husband of mine.

Huxian: Heh….well….you know…

*He shrugs helplessly*

Huxian: I’ll be alright. Just...a bit tired. I’ve done a lot of...not thinking about Li-Lihua, that a lot of things I put off came back. I guess I just feel…..drained? Numb?

*Shakes head, frowning*

Huxian: No…..not that, exactly. Maybe like….I’ve been in a cage for a long time, and the cage was taken away, and it’s not quite set in that it’s gone yet. Does...that make sense?

Mother: I see. I guess that idiot didn't help with his actions either. *Sigh*

Things will settle in time. You might need a little help along the way and if you need a little guidance, then that koala cleaning to your tail there will certainly aid the best way she can. Alongside myself and that sulking dog upstairs.  

Huxian: Well, as long as he doesn’t kill me first, I suppose...Then again, you’ve all been really supportive of me, even though I’ve been quite the burden on you since I got to Paradias. I’m sorry for causing so much stress. I’ve been so focused on my pain I guess I’ve not considered others feelings as well.

*The child’s mother hands  Huxian the mug of hot chocolate*

Mother: If it were an issue we would have never have taken you in. Besides, with how long we’ve known each other, you're practically family. And when it comes to you and that child, well… its clear to see how it's going to end up. But I’ll keep my little theory to myself for now. Anyhow, that's not what I can to talk about… About this child's engagement, are you truly happy with this?

*Huxian looks down at the mug in his hands, frowning slightly as his fingers tighten around the ceramic. The engagement...He recalled that, something he and Engetsu had spoken about just the other day...*

--- Flashback ---

*It had been a few days since the two had come to terms with their feelings. Engetsu often found them snuggling close together, but their new found closeness seemed suspicious. Was it paranoia getting to him, or was it something more?

On a whim, he decided to tail them. If it was nothing, then he could brush it off as such, but if it were something more, then he would most definitely put a stop to it.

But it couldn't possibly be what he thought it was, right? Righ-*

Young Woman: Um I… I!

Huxian: *Smirk* Well? You’ll have to speak up, rose bud. Skilled as I am, I haven’t quite mastered mind reading without a spell. Unless you’d like me to practice on you?

Young Woman: Why are you bullying me!!! You know what I want and yet-! Never mind! I’m going ho-

*The young man pecked the young woman's lips, her face tinted with a faint rouge.*

Young Woman: Eep!

Huxian: You don't need to ask - well, not with your mouth.

Young Woman: Then how?  

Huxian: *He placed the girls arm around his neck and rubbing their noses together*...Like this...

*Engetsu, seemed horrified at the pairs actions. His little girl was being ‘tainted’ by his best friend! He had to put a stop to it! Storming up to the pair, he yanked the girl away from Huxian, throwing her over his shoulder and shooting Huxian a dirty look, who recoiled.*

Engetsu: HUXIAN!

Huxian: ...I...should have expected this...

Young Woman: Papa put me down!

Engetsu: *Glare* We’ll talk about this when we get home.

Huxian [Inner Thoughts]: *Wince* If by talk you mean kill me….Dammit, I thought your wife was going to say something to you about this before it came to this...

Young Woman: Release ME!!!

*With great haste the trio return home, Engetsu kicking the door opening before throwing the girl onto the sofa. The ruckus draws the attention from the girl’s mother. *

Mother: What’s with all the…

*One look was all she needed to see to understand what had transpired.*

Mother: Your over reacting! Lets-

Engetsu: Over reacting? He’s defiling our daughter!

Little girl: We were only kissing! What’s wrong with tha-

Engetsu: *Demonic voice* SHUT UP! I DON’T WANT TO HEAR IT!

*The authority in his voice seemed to silence her. Large tears streaked her face, the look of dread seemed to mask her face.*

Young Woman: ….

Engetsu: Is this what you meant when you said they got close? You allowed this sort of behaviour to go unchecked?! She is a Ch-

Mother: SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH AND HEEL! Look at yourself, Enji! Both of them have made progress, individually and as partners, and your actions right now are spitting in the face of all of that! Your child doesn't act like a living doll anymore; she vibrant and lively again! And your ‘brother’, he’s healing somewhat because of that same child!

Look around you! Your actions have now set them back to square one again! I hope you’re happy. You made your beloved child cry and inadvertently harmed your ‘brother’.  Good job.

Engetsu: …. I….

Mother: *Sigh* if you don't open a door, they WILL climb out the window. The best thing you can do is watch over them. I know your being protective when it comes to them both, but! Over-protectiveness has its limits.

Engetsu: *Looks away* Tisk!

*Turning towards, Huxian before setting towards his study*

Engetsu: Come to my office in an hour.

*While the whole argument had been taking place, Huxian had merely stood, face blank and eyes fixed at a corner point in the room, any humour that had been in them before lost, gold tarnished to a troubled bronze. The only real indicator of his feelings was a helpless twitch of his fingers when the girl had started to cry, but knowing that, if he moved to comfort her he would only get her in more trouble stayed his hand.

Self-loathing welled in him. Once again, bringing pain to someone he held dear. He probably should have seen it coming….

Still, his ears flicked up as Engetsu spoke to him and he straightened, acting more like someone who was about to be told a sentence for execution and accepting it with dull resignation*

Huxian: Understood.

*With his answer Engetsu turned to leave, the awkward tension in the room fading.*

Mother: *Sigh* I’m sorry, truly… I would like to comfort you both, but I need to speak with that old dog. He means well, but he might have just made things worse… and for that, I’m truly sorry. Let me speak with him now.

In the meantime look after each other, ok?

*The young woman’s tears seemed endless, she ran towards the young man throwing herself into his arms. Huxian grunted slightly, pulling out of his own self hate to look down at the girl sobbing into him that he felt his heart break all over again. Whether this was his fault, their fault, Engetsu’s or no one at all, Huxian wasn’t heartless enough to wallow when the girl had done nothing to deserve being scolded. Lowering them both to the ground - only numbly aware of his knees hitting the wood flooring - he wrapped his arms around her and pressed her face into the crook of his shoulder, giving her all the comfort he could. After all, he wasn’t certain if her looking at his face would help. He was pretty sure his expression (did he have one? He felt weirdly disconnected…) would probably be misinterpreted. He didn’t want her to suffer more because of a misunderstanding*

Huxian: I’m sorry….I should have…..

*Should have what, though? Paid more attention to his surroundings? Probably. As Lord of The Mountain back home, he would have had far worse troubles for the oversight. But he had thought them safe, hadn’t thought that Engetsu would react in such a manner. He should have expected it towards himself, maybe, but not to the girl in his arms. In that respect, his inner hurts didn’t matter...But still, he should have prevented this from happening somehow.*

Young Woman: NO! You did nothing wrong! This is my papa’s doing, he’s the one in the wrong! Don’t you ever take the blame when you’re in the right!

*The girl, pulled back, her eyes full of determination, it seemed to spark a small fire in Huxian. She was not going to give up, not in her beliefs and certainly not in him. Whether it be the stubbornness of her youth or the strong willed nature of the blood of the very man bent on clawing them apart, it was there. Frightened and frail she was, but she was determined.*

Young Woman: I love you and I’m not giving up! Not now, not ever, do you hear me! So you better not give up on me. My love is stronger than papa. I won't lose!!! I… I wont so… so…

*Huxian yanked the girl back against him, clinging to her tightly. His eyes burned, but he screwed them up, concentrating only on the wonderful, stubborn, fool of a girl in his arms who seemed determined not to care about the fox spirit that seemed to have only been causing her disruptions. No matter how he felt, though, he knew that the girl would risk it. Because she rejected the idea that he was cursed. It was like a balm to his soul.

Even so, he didn’t want to bawl like a child, the way he hadn’t since Lihua died. His hurt didn’t matter, not when faced with her determination. Not when he needed composure for Engetsu who may well order him to leave and never return - who knew? He hadn’t seen such a rage in him before, at least not enough he, the overprotective daughter-complex man, would actually harm that same girl.

Worry burned in his chest, piercing the numb darkness that had been filling him the moment Engetsu had found them and he pulled back, hands on her shoulders as he scanned her*

Huxian: Are you hurt?

Young Woman: Compared to the wounds the Villager give me this was like getting yanked around by a puppy. I’m fine. Truly.

*She shifted slightly, placing her hands on his shoulders, then gently around his neck, leaning in closer and rubbing their noses before pulling back.*

Young Woman: *Grin* I guess you can call this my rebellious phase, coz I don't feel like doing what Papa says… He interrupted us earlier. What do you say?

*Leaning in close, the young woman nibbled his ear, causing a faint shudder to run through Huxian.*

Huxian: You…..you know this might not….uh...make Engetsu less inclined to have me b-banished or executed for daring to...uh…’defile you’ was it?

*Despite his words, he didn’t put an effort into stopping her, eyes closing at the feel of her nuzzling the sensitive hairs around his vulpine ears.*

Young Woman: I’ll fight papa, if I have to. Didn't I say I was going to be your wife? If he has you banished, I’ll follow. If he has you killed, I’ll slay him and join you. I’m possessive by nature, what is mine won't be taken away from me, do you hear me?! And I am an adult, you know - well, I will be in a few days, my body's about to change again.

*Looking down at her hands, she smiles.*

Young Woman: Hopefully, I won't have to use this spell anymore and he can leave me the hell alone. I think he forgets I’m not going to remain a child forever. I will get married and bear children. Does he want that to happen with some random Tom, Dick or Harry, or someone he trust and respects? Oh, and I’m all fine if it’s you. Quite frankly I’m waiting to grow up for just that.

*Unable to stop himself, he chuckled, dragging the girl closer into a hug*

Huxian: You’re amazing, you know that? Just…..maybe don’t commit patricide for me. Your father’s an idiot, but he’s one of the reasons you’re here. And even if he hates me right now, he’s still a friend. But you really are the most stubborn, wonderful fool to follow someone like me despite it all. Never change that about you, rose bud.

*Cocking her head to the side she pulled him close for a slow airy kiss.*

Young Woman: *Kiss* How mean teasing your betrothed like this when I’m serious. Meany.

*A watery smile crossed his face*

Huxian: I’m not sure the name ‘serious’ suits you - Ouch!

Young Woman: Idiot.

*The girl flicked his forehead.*

Young woman: That joke was terrible and you should feel bad for it fluffy.

Huxian: I’ll put it on the shelf with the many other things to feel bad about.

*He chuckled weakly before drawing her back into the hug, head on her shoulder as he clung to her, not wanting to think on the dread that awaited him in facing Engetsu. They were both powerful in their own rights, of course, but Huxian didn’t think he could raise a hand in defense should his old friend decide to strike him down for this. Instead, he just held her tightly, trying to memorise her scent and the feel of her hair brushing against his face*

Huxian: Thank you. Love you.

Young Woman: I love you more.

Huxian: Love you most.

*The hour ticked by and Huxian slowly made his way to Engetsu Study. The door was ajar*

Engetsu: Come in… Hue…

*Taking a deep breath, Huxian schooled his face blank. Just because Engetsu had used the nickname meant nothing. He could have literally been calling him ‘fox’ for all he knew. But Engetsu had been furious with him, enough to harm the girl, no matter how slightly. Huxian did not have the protection of true blood here, especially not when he was the ‘risk’ in the wolf’s eyes. As such, he entered the room as formally as possible, standing before Engetsu, fixing his eyes at a point over Engetsu’s shoulder.*

Huxian: I came as requested.

Engetsu: *Huff* So formal

*Grabbing two glasses, and a bottle marked divine from the wine cooler, Engetsu poured a glass for him and Huxian, scratching his head nervously.*

Engetsu: I…. I may have overreacted back there. Seeing you with Roza… seeing any male touch my pup...the thought of it makes my blood boil… I wasn't thinking. I apologize.

*Huxian’s eyes flicked to the other, somewhat startled. This….wasn’t what he expected. Hell, he expected claws to the face. Or at least clipped cool words. He really had to have been out of practice (or maybe still an emotional mess inside) that this threw him so much. He could usually brush off such unexpectedness to stay on top of the verbal game. As it was, he hesitated, eyeing Engetsu for some form of indication of sincerity. The man who was practically like a brother just seemed nervous. It was enough to make him twitchy.

Swallowing, he looked away, eyeing the walls instead, trying to regain his equilibrium, not even daring to take the poured glass, voice morose*

Huxian: Understandable. I don’t have a good record. You’re just making sure I dont get her killed too.

Engetsu: ...Drink it's not poisoned… to be fair I’ve had a little more than an hour to think about this… My wife took us to a different plane so I could vent and we could discuss what to do going forward….

*Numbly, Huxian took the glass, staring at the liquid but didn’t take a sip. A part of him felt a little sick. Shouldn’t be surprised that Engetsu hadn’t refuted the previous statement. Still, Huxian didn’t need him to acknowledge it either - he’d convinced himself of that a long time ago. Instead, he merely nodded*

Huxian: And the verdict?

Engetsu: Will you relax already, your making me second guess myself! I can't think straight when your like this!

Huxian: *Weak smile* That so? Sorry.

*He took a sip of the drink, ignoring how it felt like it burned in his throat rather than feel pleasant.*

Engetsu: Answer me this: do you love her, all of her?

Huxian: *Nods* She’s my light.

Engetsu: You know how the world sees her, right? Will you be there to protect her?

Huxian: Of course. I’d do everything in my power to protect her.

Engetsu: ... Fine, are you willing to compete for her hand. There was a suitor I had already promised her to. The only way around this is if you win her hand. If you still in her favour by the time she reaches adulthood, I’ll back off. If not, then you back off and she marries the other suitor.

She must never know of this agreement. If you agree to those terms, then you may continue as you wish. If not, then we’ll place you in the summer house with supervised visits with myself.
Huxian: Wait, what? Engetsu, you set her up for an arrangement? I know that it’s done in some clans and amongst humans, but….And not to tell her about it on top of that? Not even including my situation here, you know that you’re setting yourself up to be hated. Especially once she finds out about it - and she will. She’s too smart to not see that. Such arrangements don’t always lead to happiness. She could grow to resent you. Are you prepared for that, yourself?

Engetsu: She will be informed of the engagement, but the deal between you and I will remain a secret. I had intended on strengthening the wolf part of my lineage, but you both had to ruin that, now didn't you? Please know when it comes to you both romantically, I’m hard pressed to jump on that bandwagon. But her happiness…. That what I'm striving for. My plan is not for her to resent me, but I’m aware that it may be a byproduct. Her eventual taking over, her producing an heir and her happiness is what I strive for. She needs a good mate to accomplish all of that. And I’m not quite convince that, as you are, you will be able to fill that role.

Not because of your ‘curse’, but due to the fact that your not quite healed enough to fight in her battle…. Yet. I do wonder, could you really handle her?

Huxian: Hm...I wonder too, if you’re as prepared as you think for her reaction. She’s got far more spirit than you might think.

*He closes his eyes, but sighs*

Huxian: Still, if that is what you’re willing to sacrifice….I have a condition, however. You wish for your clan’s strength to be assured. I understand that, even if I personally don’t agree, will likely never agree with the method. It is my belief that strength is through merit, not blood. However, if, and only if, she falls for one of the suitors, not through trickery, but simply because they truly have feelings for each other, then I’ll stand aside. For me, her happiness is most important. No forcing her, no deals to make her feel obligated to be chained into a marriage she sees only as duty that will errode her spirit.

*He looks up to Engetsu*

Huxian: You married for love, Engetsu. I was there the entire time, I know this to be true. So even in this arrangement, please, at least allow her the same. Don’t be a hypocrite. I never want her to hate you. If that love ends up being one of your suitors, then I will gladly stand aside. But only then. If I just rolled over and stepped aside now then all I would be doing is showing you that I’m truly just a broken dog and I will not be that. It’s disrespectful to her as one I love and to you, my ‘brother’.

Do you accept the condition, Engetsu? If you do, then I will speak nothing of the deal, nor this ‘arrangement’ and will follow this through as promised.

Engetsu: Fine, so be it.

*Feeling only cold inside, Huxian bowed his head*

Huxian: Then we have an accord.

*Downing the rest of their glasses, the pair begin to go their separate ways. However, they paused as a small commotion could be heard from outside the door.*

Young woman: Let me go their taking too long in there! What is papa did something to him!

Tonton: Hush, Calm down there almost done.

Young woman: NO! Release me! I have to check and see everything is alright!!! Hue! Are you ok in there?! Papa, you’re not hurting him, are you!?!

Engetsu: *Flat look* Ah the noise machine has arrived.

*Even if the talk inside had left him feeling almost numb, Huxian couldn’t help the grin crossing his face. His warrior to the ‘rescue’.*

Huxian: Well, better let her know that you haven’t decided fox hunting is in season just yet. After you, ‘Engetsu-sama’.

Engetsu: Switch ‘Sama’ to ‘niisan’ Idiot.

Huxian: Eh...easier to say ‘Gege’ for me. I still sometimes find my tongue aches if I have to speak your language for too long. No offense.

*There was three thumps on the door, before a ball of purple fluff barrel-rolled into the room, shaking her tiny body and looking around. Eyes locking onto her father’s, she quickly transformed back into a Young woman.*

Young Woman:  If you ever hurt my kitty I’ll make you regret it papa!!!

Engetsu: *Flat look* Is that so. I would pick you fights better, little girl.

Young Woman: *Grit teeth and bare fangs* Gladly.

Unable to stop himself, Huxian felt all the stress from before shattering into pure humour and mischief. Quickly, he transformed into the form of a young woman, clasping ‘her’ hands together and fluttering ‘her’ eyelashes*

Huxian: My hero!

*Blinking a few times, the girl stared at the ‘woman,’ before her*

Young Woman: …I think I might be opening a door I really shouldn't…. So… so hot...

Engetsu: *Throwing a pillow in direction of Huxian* IDIOT!

Huxian: *Catches the pillow with a coy smile* Not idiot. Trickster. Who is apparently hot. *Winks*

Young Woman: *Blushing* Eh… I…. Um, yeah, we better get going fluffy….et? Fluffet? Yeah, that works. But before that, c-can you change back into a boy? You’re really distracting. Oh, in a good way. You're really pretty… too pretty. So, um… yeah….

Huxian: You’re making it all the more tempting to stay like this, you know. Ah, buuuuut *Glances at Engetsu* Better not to throw the wolf at the foxes, hm?

*With a laugh, ‘she’ darts over to the Young Woman and takes her hand, pulling them both out of the room with a laugh, the pitch changing to that of a male’s once more once they rounded the corner from Engetsu’s view, having transformed back into a man once more.*

Young Woman: *Nervous* U-um do you… wanna go back to your room or mine?  

Huxian: Oh, you work fast. We haven’t even really had a proper date yet. Normally you buy dinner first.

Young woman: *Blush* S-Shut up idiot!!!! That's not what I meant and you know it! And what's stopping you from asking me out on a ‘proper date’ hum~?

Huxian: Ah, but you were my brave hero! Still, I suppose such bravery should be rewarded. Very well. My Lady in Shining Armour, will you accept my humble reward of a date?

Young Woman: Oh...Oh! Um, sure.. Ok.. yes! W-where would we go… or do?

Huxian: Hm...I’m sure I can come up with something. Only the best for my gallant knight, correct?

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment