Friday 17 November 2017

Written Memories pt 13




*Still somewhat shaken from the confrontation with the gods that had zeroed in on Inari only moments before, the boy finally pulled out of his technique as he reached the main hall. While it was still early for the patrons of the temple to gather in earnest, there would still be the risk of running into someone if he continued to flee at high speeds. However, rather surprising than the odd servant or early riser, there was a strangely large group that crowded near the entrance looking somewhat out of place. What was worse, the group of men, upon hearing the arrival of Rozyus, rounded as one, they eyes impatient and piercing as they locked on him, pinning the boy with their gaze. What was worse, each raptor sharp gaze was more angry than the last. Even if Rozyus had been blind, he would have been able to tell. The air was thick with tension that choked any unfortunate bystander and audible growls broke through the once peaceful morning air and filling Rozyus with a terrified despair.*

Rozyus: *choking back tears* G-gentleman, what a-

Suitor 1: ‘Princess’! What’s the meaning of this!

Suitor 2: We demand an explanation, now!

Rozyus: W-what are you talking about?

Suitor 3: Don’t think you can hide this outrage! You have been….fornicating with a god! Do not try to lie about this, we all know! *Snarling* It is bad enough that one of us married outside the seven clans, but you would also insult our pride! Do you feel that we are below your notice? That our feelings rate less than that of a single god?!

Rozyus: No! No….but I…I-

Suitor 1: But what!!! There is no excuse! We have given you more than enough time, but no longer! End this….fling with your pet god and make your decision as to who you will marry!

Rozyus: No, I-!

*Rozyus’ voice died in his throat as the young men towered over him, less like angered men and more like rabid wolves, eyes gleaming with an enraged intent that had the boy backing away until the cold marble stone of the pillars pressed against his back. His heart jumped to his throat in terror. However, he tried to swallow it away, to hide his fear lest they prey upon it and choke out his words*

Rozyus: Please, just let me speak….

Crowd of Suitors: *chanting* Denounce your love for a god! Choose! Pick us! Pick one! Your time is up!

Rozyus [Inner thoughts]: *Screaming* I-I’m trapped! Help me! Someone - anyone - help me!

Voice: Enough!

*Rozyus’ vision was suddenly blocked by a flutter of silk and a glint of cold iron, the sudden silence after the proclamation ringing through the air like an echo. Swallowing, the boy realised that the flurry of colour before him was, in fact, another young man. While from the back it was difficult to put name to face, the armour was clue enough as to who the man was. The new suitor stood tall and defiant, the aura of superiority cowering the crowd as his voice echoed through the hall*

Armed Suitor: While I do not agree with the fact we have been brushed aside, do you truly believe that acting like wild and rabid beasts cornering prey would sway a lady to your side? If this is no game and she truly has feelings for this rumoured god, would it not, instead, prove more beneficial to sway her to your side by proving yourselves superior in what attracted her to the deity in the first place? To woo her with what she cherishes rather than cower her with fear?

We are not beasts, nor are we lesser than the gods that reside here. We are sons of nobility, so act as such! It is your actions here, your hostility towards one whom you claim to covert so that is disgraceful! How can one expect her to make a choice from such boarish behaviour! What is she meant to choose from this? Rabbid dogs? I sincerely doubt there is any woman, dead or  alive, lest of all a princes, would wish to lower herself to choosing such a mate. Pitiful!

You have not only discraced yourself within sacred walls, but you also dare to sully the name of not only the princess, but her very sires! You all fail to even touch what might be important - you fail at the duty of a suitor. Begone! None of you are worthy of her hand! Next year shall the princess choose a mate, as I am quite sure that those who wish for her hand them will be far more to par than any of you!

Crowd of Suitors: But we-!

Armed Suitor: *Glare and deep growl* But. What?

*With those final words ringing in their ears, the threatening aura dissipated, the crowds subduing in the face of an Alpha. Not daring to attempt to undermine that authority, the crowd quickly scattered until only the boy and his saviour remained, the hall becoming quiet and peaceful once again. Threat gone, the man turned towards the boy and dropped to one knee before him. With surprising gentleness, he took the boy’s hand and kissed the back of it, though through the haze of tears, the boy couldn’t quite make out if it was mere politeness or an attempt at comfort that wouldn’t reduce him into hysterics*

Armed Suitor: Please forgive them, Princess. Much as some who reside here, they have very narrow minded views on tradition. Boarish though they are, they truly mean now harm. The revelation of your….fondness for a deity, honourable or otherwise, gave them quite a shock.

Rozyus: I…I’m so sorry, but I-

Armed Suitor: Hush now….

*The Armed Suitor stood up gently, embracing the boy before kissing away his tears.*

Armed Suitor: Even through the redundancy of this veil, I see you clearly; the burden you bear, the pain in your eyes, the weight you carry all on your own…  it must be exhausting. Yet you have stood your ground, all this time.

I wish to be the one you can lean on when your heart hurts, as a lover...yet if I cannot as a mate, then I would still do so as a confident. Please, do not let this matter trouble you, My Princess. Your eyes should only weep tears of joy, not those of sorrow.
*With gentle fingers, the man brushed away the bitter streaks from the boy’s cheeks as Rozyus held into the front of the man’s clothing, heart aching*

Rozyus: but I do not feel the same….It would be cruel to do so.

Armed Suitor: Perhaps...but my lady, the choice is mine and mine alone. My love, my loyalty, both were gifted to you a long time ago. It just so happened that they reached for one who’s heart was already taken. However, know this: Should there ever come a day when your heart no longer cries for this god, they hurt you with no regard or should you two ever find your paths part ways, I will fight for you, no matter what it may entail.

*With those words, the Armed Suitor gently released the boy. Pausing only a moment to observe the faint trambles that still shook the boy;s frame, the man released the clasp on his cloak and laid it over the boy’s shoulders, smoothing the material before he stepped back once again, bowing to the one he called his princess*

Parame: Now, that’s a potential suitor, don’t you think, my love?

Voice: Indeed. He is the son of my right hand, after all.

Armed Suiter:  Ah, my Lord, my Lady. I see the morning finds you in good health?

Parame: *Knowing eyes and hums* Quite so. Do you mind accompanying my husband to the my chambers? You may use one of the offices as your study for the rest of your time under his wing. I look forward to seeing what type of general you will become. Hopefully someone worthy of my son.

Armed Suitor: it is my desire to be ‘her’ sword and shield, my lady. In order to do so, I must surpass my predecessors. My focus will be there, for the time being. So until then, adue, my lady, and prince.

*As both the Armed Suitor and the boy’s father left for the goddess’ chamber, Parame sighed and hummed a particular song. The melody seemed to pull out the boy from his shakened state as he collapsed to the floor. Turning to face a certain pillar, the goddess called out.*

Parame: I’m surprised. You were doing so well and then you let your time to put those barking dogs in their place be stolen by another. Now there's a new team player in this game. I wonder what your next move will be? Will you allow your ‘princess’ to be stolen away by another? Tell me, why didn't you say anything? As my hero, shouldn't you have more...vigor than that? To what reason did you hide instead of facing your foes? Enlighten me, Child. I truly wish to know.

*Walking out from behind their hiding place, the young god slowly stepped forward, eyes downcast as they clenched their fist tightly almost to the point of their knuckles turning white.*

Inari: What would you have had me say? The fact that I was not here in time to step forward is indeed my failing and mine alone. I arrived only fast enough for that man to step in. And, as much as it hurts to say this, if I had stepped in at that moment, when the crowds had only just began to listen, all it would do would be spark something that may have been something that even that man could not have stopped. After all, it is their hatred for me, for the fact that I had interlooped, that had caused that in the first place. My presence them would have brought far more harm than good.

*Their eyes screwed up, in guilt, bitterness and self-hatred*

Inari: Do you honestly believe that, had there been an alternative that wouldn’t have caused further conflicts between the clans and gods, between them and Rozyus, I wouldn’t have taken it? However, I love Rozyus enough that even if I could not be the one to save him, then I will certainly not endanger him and the one that did.

*His eyes open once again, though the tangle of emotions remain*

Inari: If this is about being a Hero, then it is also a hero's duty to prevent conflicts, true, but that is even at the cost of their pride. As such, I am grateful to that man for what he did. If my inaction has lost the respect and love of the one I hold dear because of any of these reasons then that is the burden I would have to bear. However, it is Rozyus’ safety in this that is more important. As such, if my inaction also makes me unworthy of anything else as well, then all I can do from here is aim to regain both that respect and worth once again.

*Inari snapps their head back up again, eyes blazing now*

Inari: However, my failings aside, my disgrace is not important here. Forgive my impudence, but I believe that it is Rozyus who is more important here. If I am to be punished or thought upon lowly then that is fine, I’m sure that my Fading will come sooner or later. After Rozyus is not longer shaking like a leaf!

*They turn to Rozyus now, eyes dark with sorrow*

Inari: I would understand if you hate me now, for not being the one to save you. I seem to be the cause of much of your sorrows of late, rather than the one who makes you happy…

*Doing their best not to seem overbearing or threatening, they stepp forwards, taking one of his hands in both of theirs*

Inari: I’m sorry, my love. I’m so sorry.

Rozyus: N-no, you did what you had to do, I-if I wasn’t so weak….. I would have done something smarter, sooner. Then I wouldn’t have- No, I won’t make excuses - this is no one’s fault. But…. but it seems that our relationship will not be accepted on either side…. Maybe what we're doing is wrong after all…. Maybe we are just *tears up again* too different to work out after all.

You’re a regal flower, after all. You ‘need’ to be among other like you, you're out of place amongst mine and I’m the same among yours….

*The boy lowers his head, turning his gaze towards the window, the last of the autumn leaves began to fall. So to did the boys tears.*

Rozyus: I-I once read that relationships should never begin in fall…. It's the time when the seasons change for the worst, death is closest to use than ever  and the bitterness of winter begins...

*Already somewhat upset by what their instincts were telling them, Inari forced themselves to remain calm*

Inari:...What are you trying to say, Rozyus?

Rozyu: I…. I don't know. But the last thing i want is for you to, ‘Fall from grace,’ and i need to make peace with my tribes clans somehow. There are many things we need to think about too… our relationship is fragile at best… like frozen steal under pressure it's ready to shatter. Maybe its best if we separate for a while. We need to make amends with our people you more so than I.

Inari: Separation will do nothing. Even if we did, it will not calm anyone, because they know we are linked in some manner. And besides I….Perhaps it is selfish of me, but I do not want to separate just because people think things. Ha…..why is it like this? I don’t want to let you go if it means we only survive in misery...

Rozyus: Don’t be foolish If that’s what you think, then it’s best to end things now! I won’t let it be like Chizohara and Mirah. I don’t want another god to fall like that - it’s a pain worse than death that even I could not wish upon my enemies. You need the other gods to stand by you! Don’t waste your life on one such as me. Its enough! Its enough to know you once held me dear… that’s enough….. Let’s just call our time together a bitter sweet dream. An illusion of the heart, and let this be the end.

*Stepping back slowly, the boy turned his heels and ran off down the hall.*

Parame: *Sigh* Seriously, you both are so… wanting to protect each other yet you’re digging your own graves, but he’s right on one thing… it's scary how much of Chizohara and Mirah’s story ‘Your reliving.’ if you must go after him do it after you both have sorted out the situation with your respected ‘kin’ let things cool down first before you make your next move. Your head will be clearer then. Yes?

Inari:...I’m beginning to wonder why it is that any of you even allow us to try, then tells us we can’t.
*They cover their eyes with their hand, trying not to sob themselves, a token effort to keep up their usual calm*

Inari: *bitter laughter* How cruel…But even so, is it really a mistake to love someone? Is it a mistake to care, despite blood or differences? The only reason that Chizohara and Mirah became such a tragic tale was because they made the wrong choices based only on what others pushed them towards. Sometimes I wonder if that story is remembered only to make others repeat the mistake over and over until there’s no tolerance left between the peoples of the world.

*They turn away from the goddess, so that the tear streaked face could not be seen*

Inari: ...Why is it that you and your husband could be happy together, but no one else can if they’re not of similar blood? Is this a test, mother? Are our hearts on a trial that everyone prays is doomed to fail?

Parame: You know of the tale of the two love lovers, but I wonder if you truly know the real story behind the fable…

*She strokes the Child’s hair, pulling them close to her as she transported them both to her private quarters. Gesturing to the child to sit on the plush bed, she began to tell the young god the real story behind the fable; her eyes becoming serious as she secured the room.*

Parame: My child, listen carefully, as what I say can never be repeated, understood?

Inari: I’m listening, Mother.

*The goddess removed her necklace, winding the pendants in different motions, until it spun in a rhythmic patterns.*

Parame: I don't often do this, allowing spectators though time and all this jazz. Especially when walking through one's past lifeline… things tend to become… messy, if caution is not taken.

*She places the necklace on the the young god, touching her forehead to their’s, whispering a spell softly in their ears.*

Parame: I’ll disguise you as a minor god. You’ll be provided with my private servants and a small room of your own, as the room you currently inhabit in this time belonged to ‘Chizohara’. If you should need anything, find ‘me’, understood?

*For a moment, Inari could only look at her in shock as they realised what the goddess’ intention was. Swallowing - oh so many things could go wrong with this it was not even funny - Inari could only hope that they could remain as hidden in the past without accidentally paradoxing themself out of existence*

Inari: I understand.

Inari [Inner Thoughts]: If I don’t, I could very well end up causing far more problems than merely seeing what she wants me to. Why are you risking this, Mother? What’s so important I must see that you’re willing to risk a paradox?

Parame: Good luck little one, may your trip be a safe one.

*The goddesses presence began to raise, the necklace spinning faster by the second creating a low but powerful ringing that agitated the young gods senses, before seeing to swallow them whole. Colour seemed to fade, swirl and distort all around them, the air seemed both this as syrup and thin as that at the top of the tallest mountain all at once while their ears seemed to ring with the howling of wind mixed with the crackling distortions of an inferno. Everything was swept away and it felt as if their very body was being pressed upon and torn apart at the same time as they were dragged from the preset and into the depths of the past*

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment