Sunday 19 November 2017

Tell Me a Fable Pt 1



Parame: Good luck... little one, may your trip be a safe one...


*The goddesses presence began to raise, the necklace spinning faster by the second creating a low but powerful ringing that agitated the young gods senses, before seeing to swallow them whole. Colour seemed to fade, swirl and distort all around them, the air seemed both this as syrup and thin as that at the top of the tallest mountain all at once while their ears seemed to ring with the howling of wind mixed with the crackling distortions of an inferno. Everything was swept away and it felt as if their very body was being pressed upon and torn apart at the same time as they were dragged from the preset and into the depths of the past.

After the world seemed to have settled itself, the young deity looked about the chamber. Not much had changed, apart from the decor. It seemed…younger, partly in construction, yet suitable for temporary dwelling. The young god looked down at themself. For the most part, they, too, appeared unchanged. However, before they could look for any far subtler differences, a familiar clacking in what appeared to be the adjacent room was now holding his attention.

Cautiously, they stepped closer to the rhythmic beat, passing through the silken curtains. A young woman, aided by a series of servants, were hastily weaving threads into patterns and designs that covered the ceiling, attaching bells to each thread’s end. Meanwhile, others were checking that each design was of fine quality.

The young god stepped closer, feeling somewhat out of place as they hid behind a pillar. It was a redundant gesture as the young woman seemed to notice their actions. Chuckling into one hand, she stood from her seat, addressing to child.*

Young Woman: So, I see you arrived, ‘little one’. No need to be shy, ‘my sweet child,’ I did send you to this time after all. Or is it that… *Fake crying* that you don't love Mama any more? Boo hoo…. ‘Nari hates Mama, now what ever shall I do?

Servant 1: *Dramatic* Oh dear, you made the ‘Mother’ cry! Such a naughty boy you are, my lord!

Servant 2: Tut tut! What ever shall we do? Maybe if you stop hiding, she might stop the tears? *Chuckle*

*Sighing, both from how over dramatic the younger version of Parame seemed to be - though, if they were honest, her older counterpart could be just as melodramatic - Inari moved away from the shadows, somewhat uncomfortably, especially considering the eyes of the servants that lingered on them - servants that Inari did not recognise from their own time. Still, they were not a rude god, and bowed apologetically, even if they had not truly insulted anyone*

Inari: Forgive me, but I had been told to be careful. And I didn’t want to risk accidentally paradoxing myself out of existence. I’m not even sure how far in the past I am, other than my concept hasn’t even been conceived yet, at least not as ‘me’.

Inari [Inner Thoughts]: As if that isn’t unnerving enough, considering I exist due to the needs of the people. If I spend too long in a world that has yet to ‘need’ me, what will happen….?

*Shaking off those unnerving thoughts - after all, Parame wouldn’t have placed her ‘Hero’ at the risk of erasure - Inari straightened*

Inari: Though I suppose I should have realised you would be able to see this moment, if it was ‘fated’ to happen. I’m sorry for doubting you, Mother.

Young Parame: Is that what I called it? Ahahahahahah! No, it was not purely on a whim, dear. I don’t make a habit of sending children running through time for nothing, nor would I let a paradox happen under my watch.

Servant 2: Damn right! Do you know how much reweaving that would take?

Servant 1: yeeeeeah~ that’s overtime I’m NOT willing to do.

Servant 3: *Grunt*

Parame: Oh and don't worry, right now you're not even tangible to those unaccustomed to ‘This plan’. Think of it as a safe house from the elements of this time. The three guards you see before you are the ones who will accompany you through your time here, stopping you from causing trouble.

*Serious tone* Like you said, we wouldn’t want you causing a paradoxes, now would we? And, though you are able to interact with those around you, your role here is to just observe. Understood?

Inari: *Gulp* Crystal clear, Mother

Parame: Good. Now if you would kindly walk over to the reflecting pool, we shall begin.

*They did as they were asked, her sudden serious making them slightly uneasy. Looking down at the pool, they noticed the reflection staring back at them was not their own. Confused, they looked back at the young woman, who was retrieving clothes from a box.*

Parame: Surprised, dear? I’m sorry, but you look a little too similar to the man you’ll be tailing. We wouldn’t want you to cause a stir, so, from now on, this will be your perceived appearance to those of the other plane until the end of your visit. Also, Riha, help him dress, won’t you?

Inari: *Slightly put out* Him?

Riha [Servant 1]: *Ignoring Inari’s muttered words* Of course.

Parame: Oh, we’ll need to create a backstory for you, if anyone asks. We’ll say that you’re a minor god of wine that just popped into existence the night prior, you’re still finding your feet and you need assistance, hence the presence of Gino, Eiho and Riha. if they ask for more details, simply say you don’t know. It should be fine.

Gino: Yup, ‘n’ if anything else, we’ll cover for you.

Eiho: *Nod.*

Parame: Now, give me a look-see. I want to see how cute my sweet ‘boy’ looks in the clothes I personally tailored.   

*Still grimacing at being assigned a gender - if anything, they only rarely took a male form in their own time - they swallowed back any protest, since it was all to prevent time from unravelling. Instead, they checked the clothing that was being presented to them. The clothing was of a fine quality make, made of the light, flowing silks that those of Parame’s temple favoured rather than the style of clothing that was usually chosen by their Pantheon in the Shinto Sect. Thankfully, considering they spent nearly as much time at Parame’s temple as they did amongst the Shinto gods, Inari was thankfully aware of how to dress in the clothing provided with minimal confusion.

Moving to behind a provided folding dresser, if only for modesty’s sake, Inari quickly dressed in the clothes, taking a moment to marvel at the flowing material that felt smooth as water, before stepping out once again to allow Parame to give her thoughts.

Inari: Do I look significantly un-Inari enough?

Parame: *Chuccle* You look like a generic, low presence, about to fade any minute, nameless god. Very unlike your future self. Speaking of which we better move the the other plane a certain young man is about to enter through that door, now pay very close attention to him… you’ll immediately understand why I brought you to this time.
Inari:....I’m not sure I understand why that would be the ca-

*The door opened with a slam, changing the hue of the heavenly aura slightly. A young man, assumed in his mid twenties, thundered in the chamber.*

Young Man: Mother!!! I demand an explanation for this! Why exactly did you forbid me to see Mirah? They are my servant, after all. As master, it is my duty to-

Parame: To what? Master to whom~?

*She eased into her chair, aura dropping ever so slightly. Her aura demanded respect. Quickly, the younger deity backed off ever so slightly, correcting the manner in which he spoke to the woman.*

Young Man: Mother please…. They were injured because of my actions….

Parame: Exactly, and that is the reason why I do not wish you both together for the time being. Instead, you will aid this young flower bloom. I’m sure you watering him with your knowledge will aid him grow in a fine young man. Do so, and I’ll give you my permission to see Mirah for a limited time. Supervised, of course.

Young man: *Tisk* Fine.

*This had to be the most bizarre thing that Inari had ever seen. While the young man before them was somewhat arrogant, in the manner that some of the older gods tended to be when upset, what was stranger still was to see that arrogance coming from someone who looked so similar to Inari if they had a preference for a masculine form. There were differences, of course - hair and eye colour, heavier muscles that Inari’s more effeminate frame, but there was still enough that Inari could have thought the man was an ancestor, if Inari didn’t know for a fact that they had not been born, but created.

Even so, they doubted that the man’s appearance was the reason why Parame wanted them to pay attention. As such, they remained watchful, keeping their focus on what the two of them were saying, instead.

The man glared hard at younger god, as if to say that they were a waste of his time.*

Parame: *Pout* Now, now, Chizi-chi, you don’t want to scare this little bud, you’re supposed to be cultivating him, after all.

Young man: Jeez, if you intent on calling me that stupid baby name, then don’t use the pet name.

Parame: *Shakes head from side to side* Don’t wanna! Chizohara not as cute as Chizi-chi. Your always going to be Chizi-chi to me Chizi-chi, Chizi-chi, Chizi-chi!!!

Chizohara: *Sigh* I’m not going to win against her, am I?

Gino: Nope! Lord Benzaiten, you might as well give up the idea for now. Do as she says, learn her lesson and that will bring you closer to seeing the one you’ve been fretting over for a while now.

Chizohara: *Tisk* No choice, huh….? Oi, kid, what's your name?

*Remembering how some minor gods had acted towards them before, Inari quickly did the same in the direction of Chizohara, bowing respectfully*

Inari: I...I haven’t yet been given a name, my lord. I’m afraid I only appeared….um...a little while ago. I haven’t a name to give, yet.

Chizohara: …. You haven’t named him, mother?

Parame: Like he said, he just 'poofed' in a little while ago. Don’t worry, I’ll think of something by the time you both return. Oh, and take these three with you. They will me monitoring you both carefully for a time, so be off with you! Bye, see you latter!

*She snapped her fingers, transporting the party to another part of the temple, leaving her ‘alone’ with her thoughts.*

Parame [Inner thoughts]: *Chuckle* Well, this should be interesting, but it should be a good lesson for you.

Disembodied Voice: *Seductive tone* You're playing a dangerous game, you know that, my love.  

Parame: *Coy tone* Is that so? Well either way, the result is the same - a small loss now will yield me greater rewards further down the line… Besides, I’m nowhere near done molding them into the perfect Hero. I’ll stop at nothing until I reach that goal. Now, my love, I must get back to work. I have threads to cut.

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment