Thursday 9 November 2017

Written Memories Pt 11


SFX: Door opening and fox paws on marbled flooring.

Rozyus:  Oh, hello, little one. Did come to visit me or your master? They’re out at the moment. *Pets foxes head*

*The fox made a pleased sound at the attention, allowing Rozyus to pet for a little while longer, before finally speaking*

Fox: Oh….yes….distracted….whoops. Uh…..what was it again? Oh!

*The fox shifted its head into what looked like a small messenger bag that had been hanging around it’s neck, presenting what looked like a letter to Rozyus with it’s mouth*

Fox: *Muffled voice* ‘Ere!

Roszyus: *Chuckle, and takes the letter from the little fox*

Many thanks friend… Ah! This is….

*The boy sat on the edge of his bed, turning over the letter in his hand, all too familiar brush strokes adorned the silk-like parchment. Each brush stroke is like a work of art, beautiful, deliberate. The words…like written melody to his eyes.

The boy jumped from his seat blushing slightly, gently holding the letter to his chest gazing at the door.*

Rozyus: Thank you, friend. Oh, can you find you way back to your master on your own? I do believe I have an engagement I must attend.

Fox: That’s fine. Do you have a message I should give in return?

Rozyus: N-no, no, I’ll speak to them later… Oh! Could you pass this along? I’m not able to do it myself until later tonight.

*The boy leaned down and kissed the fox on the muzzle, and pet its head. The little fluff ball  seemed to purr at the motion.*  

Fox: I’m not sure they would appreciate it as much from me as from you, but I’ll pass it on. Later then!

*With that, the fox gave the boy’s hand a quick nuzzle before bounding off through the still open door, a flick of its white tail helping it to close the door behind it.*

Rozyus: *Chuckle* Oh, I must be off, too. I have to show Kushinada my new treasure.

*The boy, ran as far and as fast as his legs could take him finally slowing down as he approached the dwelling in which housed the storm deity and his bride. He gaily knocked on the door while calling for the young woman to open the door. A few moments later, the door opened to reveal the young woman that Rozyus had met earlier that day, her expression brightening as she realised who was on the other side.*

Kushinada: Lord Rozyus! It’s good to see you. My, what happened? You’re positively glowing.

Rozyus: Lookie, lookie! I finally~!

*In the boy's excitement he forgot the possibility that the Storm god was there. He was, smiling an waving at the boy, he pressed closer as if to greet him.*

Susanoo: Is that what I think it is? If it is, they must be quite serious about you. I’m happy for you both.

*The boy blinked a few times before ducking behind Kushinada, tugging at her arm and running off with her into his room, leaving Susanoo blinking in utter bemusement as he stares after them.*

Voice: What was that commotion?

*Blinking, Susanoo looks around to find that Inari had been making their way down a nearby corridor and must have caught the tail end of the event, the young god blinking curiously at the settling dust left behind from the abrupt departure.*

Susanoo: ...I believe that was your puppy kidnapping my wife.

Inari:*Slightly pink faced* I….see. And….please don’t call him that? It makes me sound like I bed animals.

Susanoo: Sure, ok. You keep your puppy fetish hidden.

Inari: I will murder you.

Susanoo: Suuuuuure thing, fuzzy - Ow!

*Meanwhile, the pair had finally stopped running and entered the boy’s room, where servants were finishing preparations for the afternoon tea and snacks. Rozyus encouraged Kushinada to sit at the table as he elegantly poured the tea, its gentle aroma seemed to calm his nerves somewhat. Slightly perplexed by the situation, Kushinada finally spoke while sipping from the offered cup.*

Kushinada: So….what was it that you wanted to show me? I’m assuming you were wanting to show me something before my husband spoke. I apologize if he startled you, Lord Rozyus.

Rozyus: N-no, it's fine! I-I'm the one who should apologize to him…. I'm not good with lighting gods…. Oh! I got a letter! I got a poem! I got a poem from ‘Nari!!! He wrote it for me!!! *Cute smile*

Kushinada: Really? *Eyes brightening* Oh, I’m happy for you! What poem have they written for you?

Rozyus pulled out the letter from his breast pocket, and laid the letter in all its glory on to the table, it read:

Under the midnight sky
A flower bathes silently
Within the harvest moonlight
Blessed by silver lustre

Gentle threads entwining
A ribbon of soft crimson flutters
Following a path of falling leaves
Dancing on the autumn wind

While life evanescent
Inamorata eternal
Unwavering the light
Constant as the stars

Kushinada: Oh my! I was expecting a Haiku or a Japanese form of poetry, but it seems that they chose a different form. At the same time, they must hold you at a high level of affection to write such things.

Rozyus: R-really, I'm so happy to hear they like me too. No one's ever written a love poem to me before. I’ll keep this moment in my heart forever. I’ll let the words live on long after the pages have faded. Yes, this is my duty as one that will stand by him. *Fond smile*

*A few hours earlier, in an office inside the temple grounds, the poem that would be written was not the first draft. In fact, Inari’s desk was covered in various failed forms of poetry, and Inari had a strangely lost expression on their face as they tried to fit what they wanted to write into the forms of poetry that they had grown up with in their homeland. However, nothing quite fitted what they wanted to say, or felt too stifled by format. They looked about prepared to throw everything into the waste paper basket and give it up as a bad job. However, at some point during their frustrations, their friend, Susanoo, had in fact entered the office, helped by one of Inari’s various messengers that were lazing on pillows within the room*

Susanoo: My friend, what has you so troubled? It is almost strange to see you struggle so. While you are no god of the arts, you’ve had something of a flare for poetry when you put your mind to it. While not always a masterpiece, there isn’t often a time that you become so dispondant at your efforts.

*Groaning, Inari drops their head into their hands*

Inari: I’ve held affections for many things before, but this isn’t just affection that I feel. Rozyus means much more to me than that, they inspire much more than just a passing interest. How could I possibly be happy with something so mediocre when it is for someone who mean the world to me?

*Susanoo sighs, moving to Inari’s side to place a hand on their shoulder, a quiet comfort for a friend who was usually so self assured*

Susanoo: While it’s true there are often rules to poetry, that isn’t what you’re wanting to show, is it? My friend, what you’re hoping to do is to show your devotion to Rozyus through your poetry. Am I wrong?

Inari: You’re not wrong. There’s so much I want to say, but this merely shows to me that I’ve no skill when trying to write from my heart. Am I really so bad at expressing myself?

Susanoo: That isn’t what’s wrong. It is that you’re trying to fit what you want to say into a small box. Inari, when you get attached to people, it is with your very being. It is strange to say, but you do not love in small amounts. So, perhaps instead, you should try something else.

Inari: ...Something else?

Susanoo: You were not raised only by our pantheon, but were the ward of Lady Parame for the longest time. Even now, you see her as a mother. So, perhaps, as you are influenced by those outside of our lands, perhaps you might try reflecting that in your words. Don’t be bound to something when your affections are so boundless in and of itself.

*He reaches over and taps the other god’s chest*

Susanoo: Do not think of lines, syllables or rhymes. Merely write what is in here. If your sincere words shine through, there is no way that the one you write to will not feel the love you poured into them.

Inari: Suusanoo….thank you...

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment