Tuesday 7 November 2017

Written Memories Pt 10



*The rain had been falling since early that morning, the sound of water pattering on the grounds was strangely relaxing, despite the greyed clouds blanketing the sky in a melancholy monochrome. Many of the temple residence, hoping to avoid becoming wet, made sure to stay under the overhanging roof as they walked, should they need to venture outside, while many did their best to remain holed up within the building itself. Very few were unphased by the rainfall other than those who were irrevocably linked to water, such as the water nymphs or rain spirits that danced and played within the gardens. The only other person who seemed to have braved the weather was Rozyus, who sat under the gazebo in the gardens, absently searching the grounds. He’d been informed by Inari that there was someone that they wanted him to meet that had only recently returned to the temple, but so far there was no sign of them*

Rozyus [Thought]: *Frantically* W-where are they? It’s been twenty minutes...did something happened? No, they said there were bringing someone…

Maybe I should switch veils? This one's too thin… What if I embarrass them…? Oh no, maybe I should leave…. Damn, I’m nervous… Y-yeah, I’ll leave. We’ll meet anoth-

Voice 1: Ah, I’m sorry for taking so long! We had a little trouble

Voice 2: You mean a little trouble avoiding your stalkers? If that’s what you call a ‘little’ trouble, sure…

Voice 3: Ah, be nice, Susanoo. At least Lord Inari didn’t threaten to shock them all.

Voice 2: …..They started it.

Voice 1: Pft...I thought that your punishment was supposed to help you grow up, my friend.

Voice 2: Well, it did at least teach me not to take pranking my sister so much. Who’d have thought a flashy sun goddess could be so….well, sensitive?

Voice 3: Well, they do say that celebrities can sometimes be a little sensitive…

*A trio had finally made their way to the gazebo. The first was Inari, holding a white umbrella over their head and managing to sidestep any puddles with their usual grace. Their eyes lighting up softly as they lingered on Rozyus, strangely not at all flustered by the fact their companions had just admitted to shocking several of their fangirls. Just behind them, a duo were walking arm in arm. The male of the two was vaguely familiar, having only crossed paths with Inari once during one of the early meetings with Rozyus, though the boy likely would have known him more by reputation, especially after a prank caused the sun goddess Amaterasu to go into hiding for a while and caused a huge mess for several gods and goddesses of the Shinto pantheon. The young man had bluish coloured hair tied back into a ponytail, and was wearing surprisingly unremarkable seeming clothing for a god - partly due to having been in the mortal realm for a while. The young woman he was linking arms with, however, was someone Rozyus had not seen before. What was more obvious to him was that this girl was of man, not born a god. She looked over to Rozyus in a kind of curious fascination of someone who was still being awed by the many divine people and things in the temple grounds. While curious, however, her brown eyes were warm and she did offer a shy smile in greeting once she realised Rozyus had seen her.*

Rozyus [Inner thought]: *Panic* They all look like they walked out of a painting! So bright!!! Is it too late to leave? Should I just run, what if they don't like me….? Do they even know what I am? Would they like me after the fact? I-I should say something at least. Ah! A greeting! I should say something at least… right? Right?

Rozyus: *Stiff, quiet voice* ….Welcome….. I….. ah…..

Inari: Ah, you always get so shy….It’s cute.

Rozyus: *Puffs cheeks and looks down* Who's cute? An’ I’m not… I’m not s-shy or anything...

Inari: You are, of course. Anyway, I’ll behave. After all, if you get too flustered you won’t get to meet who I brought with me. Do you remember Susanoo at all? I know that you two only really met once before this.

Susanoo: I remember. You’re looking a lot more confident than before. I would have asked to join the two of you before this, but at first I didn’t think you’d want to be overwhelmed. Then I was….ah…..indisposed for a while. Either way, it’s nice to meet you again. Rozyus, wasn’t it?

*The boy tugged on his veil, not sure if it was opaque enough for his face to be hidden. Clinging to his lover, he addressed the other god and his companion.*
Rozyus: N-no, don't worry yourself with me. I-I’m fine!  I, um, prepared snacks for both your visits… *Quiet voice* I made snacks for you and your lady friend. I...I hope you’ll enjoy them!

Susanoo: Oh yes! I’m sorry for my rudeness. I never introduced my wife. This is Kushinanda. She’s from the mortal realms. This is her first time here, so I do hope you all get along.

Kushinanda: It’s very nice to meet you. Please, call me Kushi. I hope we can become good friends.

Rozyus: *gripping onto Inari tightly* S-sure, ah I mean ah… huuuh…

*The boy desperately looked at his lover. He was frantically trying to form coherent sentences but seemed to be failing for one reason or another. Hoping to ease his nerves somewhat, Inari wraps an arm around his shoulder and pulls him a little closer, hoping that it would both let him feel; comfort, and also put him at ease that Inari was there to back him up if needed.*

Susanoo: You’re still scared of me, huh? I’m not that scary, am I?

Inari: Well, you are a storm god that has regular ‘sparking’ matches with old Zeusy, so….

Susanoo: *Blushing* T-that’s besides the point.

Kushinanda: And you have a temper sometimes.

Susanoo: *Redder* I don’t! You’re going to make him more nervous now! *Trodden puppy expression* Everyone is picking on me. Wasn’t my banishment punishment enough?

Kushinanda: There there. *Giggling slightly, before turning to Rozyus* Anyway, pouty aside-

Susanoo: Hey!

Kushinanda: -you said you made food for us? Thank you so much! I’ve not had someone cook for me before. Unless it was during that preparation time before Orochi…..Uh, never mind. Anyway, I’m looking forwards to what you made. I’ve only had food from my home country before. You’ll have to let me know what everything is.

Rozyus: ….Yes…. I...um, well, these are traditional dishes from the surrounding area. They’re easy on the stomach and the desserts are my original recipes. By each dish are the cards explaining what they are and their ingredients….just incase there are things you can’t eat…..

*After the boy finished explaining he ducked behind the young god, as if trying to avoid the conversation. Kushinanda hesitated a little at the obvious avoidance, shuffling a little, even though she attempted to remain as polite and friendly as possible, though she seemed a little uncomfortable herself*

Inari [Inner Thoughts]: This….isn’t particularly going as well as I hoped. With Kushinanda being so new here and not influenced by the prejudices of the deities, I was hoping that perhaps it would give Rozyus someone to get along with if I’m busy with Hero training or during the harvests….

Inari: *coughing into a hand* Well, shall we dig in? After all, it would be a shame to let the food go to waste, right?

Kushinanda: Yes, thank you, Lord Rozyus, Lord Inari.

Susanoo: Thanks Rozyus.

*With that, the couple moved over to look over the food curiously, while Inari looked over to Rozyus, lowering their voice slightly*

Inari: You don’t have to worry so much. Susanoo’s someone I would trust with my life and I know that he wouldn’t bother you. In fact he’s more likely to flood the rooms of anyone who’d try to pick on you. And Kushinanda, well, she’s still mortal right now and is kind of alone too. I thought that maybe you’d like to teach her a bit about your kin, so that she won’t have anyone else tell her the wrong things. *Hesitating* Or….has Susanoo said something to upset you before this? If that’s the case, I can talk to him.

Rozyus: N-no, it's not that, it's not…. What if she ends up hating me, too? What if I embarrass you, then your friends tell you not to be with me? What if your reputation get affected? What if, what if-

*Gently, Inari interrupts by flipping the veil and darting in for a quick kiss. Hoping that it sufficiently shocked the other into silence, Inari rested their forehead against his*

Inari: You always think so pessimistically. If you always believe something is doomed to fail, you write yourself a self fulfilling prophecy. I promise you, I would never let you walk into such a mess. As for my reputation, you honestly shouldn’t worry about it. As I said before, I do not care what other gods think of me, and if Susanoo was the type to care about that he would have hit me with a lightning bolt long before this. I assure you, you will not anger them or shame them or me. Just be yourself and have fun. And remember, I’m here, if you need help. You’re not alone in this.

Rozyus: ‘N-nari….

SFX: SMACK!!!

Rozyus: What do you think you're doing in front of everyone?! I know you were raised by Mama ‘n have been hanging round with Aunty V, but still!!! And how can I not worry about you?! Stupid Baka! Dummy head!!!!!!

*For a moment, Inari blinked a few times, before suddenly starting to laugh*

Inari: Pft….Hahaha! There’s my Rozyus! I was wondering where that spark of yours went! You are someone who should always burn so brightly.

Rozyus: Stupid. Flowery silver tongued god, of smooth talking. What nonsense are you spewing this time….. *Pout, while crossing arms.*

Inari: The truth, of course!

*Meanwhile, the couple looked over from the food table, a mixture of confusion (Kushinanda) and amusement (Susanoo) coming from them in waves*

Kushinanda: Ah, is this normal….?

Susanoo: Well, I couldn’t really say, since I was banished to the mortal realm a bit after they started to spend a lot of time together. But it’s cute. Little ‘Nari’s in love.

Kushinanda: Oh. Oh! So is Lord Inari also where you got your poetry skills from? You and your friend seem to both have a penchant for it.

Susanoo: *Slightly red* Oh….well...Um…

Rozyus: Poetry?!!

*The boy’s eyes sparkled a little, tail wagging in glee, so much so that briefly he forgot about his concern with the young god’s behaviour. Kushinanda brightens at a topic they can be enthused about together*

Kushinanda: Oh yes! Susanoo often writes poetry. He even helped to compose one for our wedding and has written several since as well. You wouldn’t think it, to look at him, would you? *She laughs brightly* He told me that a friend and he used to write them in their spare time. Was that friend you, Lord Inari?

Inari: Ah, yes. We did write a few in the past. It was a pleasant pastime, if one has the inspiration.

Kushinanda: I wish I had the skill. My Haiku skills are quite lacking. Are you a fan of poetry as well, Lord Rozyus?

Rozyus: I… uh, yes… I love the arts. I often play with the muses when I can….  

Kushinanda: *Interested* The...muses? Who are they?

Rozyus: Oh… They’re the goddesses of the arts, music, theater, entertainment relay…

Kushinanda: Really? What pantheon are they from? I was completely shocked when I heard there were so many gods in other countries. I’ve never left Izumo before Susanoo helped to rescued me. Could you tell me a bit about them? To have duties over the arts must be fascinating.

Rozyus: Sure… If you’re that interested, I can give you some of my books. They're a little old, but they have the records of all the Greco-Roman pantheon gods. Some of them are known by various names. My personal favorite muses are Erato - her love poems are simply breathtaking - and also Euterpe and Terpsichore: Lyrik and dance. When they collaborate, oh my stars, they make magic! And finally there's Polyhymnia. If you like sacred works, she's the patron goddess for you and… Oh, I’m talking too much… sorry.

Kushinanda: Oh no, not at all! I’m impressed, actually. You seem to know so much about it. It’s really nice to hear about other cultures. My homeland is usually a little cautious around outsiders, or they get mistaken for being youkai if they have foreign blood, so I have only really learned anything of the outside world from Susanoo so far. Please, continue! Oh, of course, only if you’re happy to. If you like, I could tell you a little about Shinto worship. I’m afraid I’m still a little shell-shocked to meet them personally. Oh dear, it still shocks me to think I married a god!

Rozyus: So, what's it like being with a god….? I’ve only recently…gotten close to ‘Master’ Inari. Oh, does Lord Susanoo write you any love poems? Is he super romantic, or is it just passionate?

Kushinanda: Well, you sort of expect them to be regal and distant in a way, but when you know him personally, he’s more of a goofball than some of the boys from my village used to be. *Laughing lightly* But it’s also a little difficult to describe. It’s still a little overwhelming for me to think that, out of all the people he could have chosen, he chose me. As for poems, oh yes, he’s written several. He wrote some for our wedding. From what I heard, they even memorialised some in the temple they built for Susanoo back in Izumo. As for the poetry itself…..hm….it’s difficult to say how it may sound. Its often filled with symbolism. You will rarely find love poetry that outright proclaims ‘love’. But for someone so linked to the sea and storms, it is sometime surprising how gentle the poetry sounds.

Rozyus: True… I wonder if they wou- oh where are Master and Lord Susanoo

Kushinanda: Huh?

*Blinking in confusion, the girl quickly looked around, only to realise that the two had indeed slipped away somewhere. Huffing, Kushinanda placed her hands on her hips*

Kushinanda: Rude. I hope they aren’t causing mischief. Susanoo’s only just been allowed back into the divine realm. I hope he doesn’t drag Lord Inari into his messes, too.

Rozyus: I fear it might be the other way around....

*The pair fears were for nort, as the two young gods were lounging by the other side of the gazebo, finishing off the last of their pipes, and heading back inside. Though it was likely the two would tell them off later, the two deities felt that their loves would both get along better without the extra attention. They would apologize later.

They eventually returned, after giving the two enough time to bond, and quickly offered their apologies for leaving them be. As it was, at least the two seemed to have bonded over knowledge. They took their respective holdings unrepentantly, before finally distracting Rozyus and Kushinanda with the food that was waiting for them.

With the awkward tension reduced to more manageable levels, the meeting went far better than before, and soon they were bantering together, even if Rozyus was still somewhat nervous if Susanoo spoke to him directly.

The boy’s attention was now set on his lover. From time to time, he gazed a little too long at the young god, wondering what it would be like to read one of the deity's poems. Would it be too awkward to ask to read a piece, or have one commissioned? The a silly thought crossed his mind: ‘could he write words of love or passion for me?’ As soon as he thought that, he shook his head, waving off the thought. But still, the thought alone kept him staring.

There were times when the young god felt the boy's gaze was too much, turning around to address the boy, only to have him turn away again, leaving the god with an expression of utter bafflement. It happened enough times that Kushinanda was able to put together what was likely bothering Rozyus. As such, when the boy was busying himself, Kushinanda quietly turned to Inari.

Kushinanda: Lord Inari, I believe I know the problem here.

Inari: You do? Thak goodness someone knows. I’m at a loss.

Kushinanda: Well, it comes from a conversation we had earlier, about the fact that you and my husband have written poetry before. Have you, by chance, written anything for Lord Rozyus?

Inari: No, not yet. I….Oh! *Eyes wide* I see now. Thank you for your help, Lady Kushinanda.

Kushinanda: *Small smile* You’re welcome. And good luck with the wooing.

*Inari had to force themselves not to turn red and draw attention to themselves. After all, they needed to focus on a poem for Rozyus after all, and it would be difficult to surprise him with it if Rozyus was more worried about why Inari was red.

The day continued to pass without too many hiccups, minus the rain that had continued on through the day.. Eventually, Kushinanda was called away to be introduced to several more people of the Shinto pantheon and Rozyus, with nothing else holding his attention retreated to his room, especially since Inari appeared to have their own business to attend to.

It was an hour or so after Rozyus’ retreat, that the sound of scratching came from the door*

Rozyus: *Snapping finger*

SFX: Door opening and fox paws on marbled flooring.

Rozyus:  Oh, hello, little one. Did come to visit me or your master? They’re out at the moment. *Pets foxes head*

*The fox made a pleased sound at the attention, allowing Rozyus to pet for a little while longer, before finally speaking*

Fox: Oh….yes….distracted….whoops. Uh…..what was it again? Oh!

*The fox shifted its head into what looked like a small messenger bag that had been hanging around it’s neck, presenting what looked like a letter to Rozyus with it’s mouth*

Fox: *Muffled voice* ‘Ere!

Rozyus: *Chuckle, and takes the letter from the little fox*

Many thanks friend… Ah! This is.

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment