Sunday 10 September 2017

Journey Home: Road to Redemption pt 8



*The school day had finally come to an end - thankfully without blowing up the building or otherwise traumatizing the staff thanks to the rebellious class - and, tired but satisfied, Lorenzo, Dae-Hyun and Esta once more clambered into the car and settled themselves into easy banter in the back while Stuart drove them back towards Headquarters once again. The drive itself was fairly uneventful, mostly just the Jurogumo and Lightning demigod teasing the ‘Rabid Lion’, or Agent C trying to poke Lorenzo into admitting his growing interest in teaching in class. The easy banter continued until they reached the entrance hall. However, as they stepped inside, it was as if they had somehow stepped into a tomb.

Usually filled with agents talking or the CUC bickering about what mess the Scientists had made this time, there was instead a strange silence. The few people in the hall moved uneasily, quickly, hoping to get to where they wanted to be without lingering for too long, an odd tension to hunched shoulders and lips pressed tightly together in an effort not to make a sound. Their eyes flickered to the only other people in the hall, scared to draw attention their way. After all, none wished to draw the ire of Madam Pouvell when it was obvious that she was already in a foul mood.

The lady in question almost seemed to emit an aura of icey impatience, eyes sparking with cold irritation towards the man attending to her. Her voice, while pleasant, dripped of frozen poison that betrayed her true mood.*

Madam Pouvell: I suppose you intend to keep me waiting until I am old and haggered? Perhaps your insignificant mind finds difficulty registering my request, or is it merely that you happen to enjoy trying my patience?

Pandora Agent: Oh noo~ Madam! It just took a while to get the book out from the restricted vaults*Clutching the book to his chest* As one of the companies treasures... well, I know you know this, but it must be left under surveillance at all-

*Cutting off the man’s words, Madam Pouvel ripped the leather bound book from the poor soul’s chest like a wild beast lunging for its prey. Stunned, the agent stumbled back, before hurriedly regaining his composure once more.*

Madam Pouvell: *Long exasperated breath* Finally. I have it in my hands.

Pandora Agent: Is that so Madam?  Excuse me, if I may, what business, exactly, do you have with that, the company's most sacred of treasures?

*Her eyes begin to darken slightly, clutching the book tightly she gazed up at the agent*

Madam Pouvell: Pardon me, but I do believe that it is YOU who answers to Me. A lowly dog does not question when its master gives it an order. It simply obeys.

*Her eyes begin to blow an eerie crimson, and the air around the two grows cold, to the point where one could see there own breath.*

Madam Pouvell: Is that understood, Agent?

Pandora Agent: ...Crystal clear…my Lady. *Unreadable expression*

*With a turn of her heel, both she and her party disappeared into another part of the agency. The mere absence of the woman seemed to lighten the room slightly.*

Lorenzo:...Is that….usual for her? I’m aware that it’s been a long time since I have seen her and much has changed while I was in Phoenix...

Dae-Hyun: No. Not at all… Excuse me, guys, I’ll be back in a sec.

*Agent C quickly moved over to the other agent, on the surface merely looking to be about to have a friendly chat. However, both Esta and Lorenzo could see the odd look of intent as the man slung his arm over the other Agent’s shoulder. Even with inhuman senses, neither could hear what the two spoke about, so low were their whispers, but a flash of colour was caught briefly, only long enough for them to realise a pendrive had exchanged hands, but it was there and gone so fast that it, if anyone else had seen it, they might have just thought it a trick of light.

Lorenzo and Esta exchanged a glance, Lorenzo frowning in concern, Esta with a certain amount of suspicion. However, both were smart enough not to say a word until Dae-Hyun had jovially given his goodbyes and rejoined his companions once again.

Dae-Hyun: Sorry about that guys, I-

Esta: So, what was that about Lion?

*A passing agent carrying an ID card with a A insignia whispered as he strolled by slowing down as he walked pass.*

A Class Agent: Best not to press it kid. This is way above your paygrade.

Esta: *Annoyed look* TISK!

*With that, Esta dropped the issue…. for now. It was quite obvious that the setting wasn't right - the walls seemed to have ears. And anything hinting at suspicion could prove deadly, not only for her, but ALL those involved.*

Dae-Hyun: Essie, my love…

Esta: Don’t call me Essie and I'm not YOUR ‘love.’

Dae-Hyun: Fine, fine. But let’s not do this here. Let's go back for now.

Lorenzo: Ah, an idea. It has been quite the stressful day and I have to say that if we were to just go back to our rooms we would only worry ourselves further. Instead, why don’t we go to Black Betty? I do believe that it is my round this time.

Dae-Hyun: ...We’ll have to go at a later time, there's something that requires our immediate attention...

Lorenzo: *Offering a smile which Dae-Hyun would be able to read a little more deeply into* Of course. I wasn’t suggesting right at this very moment. We’re hardly in any state of dress for going out. Except for perhaps Miss Esta, but that is because she is a vision no matter what she wears.

Esta: *Faint blush, as she clings onto Lorenzo* Hmph! Your words are like honey, you know that?

Dae-Hyun: What, diabetically sweet?

Esta: *Psychotic glare* SHUT. UP. LION!

Dae-Hyun: What? I didn't say anything….
Lorenzo: I believe that is a cue to drop the spade, my friend. When one finds himself in a hole, it is always best to stop digging.

Dae-Hyun: …. *Mumble* I don’t wanna hear that from a girlfriend stealer like you! *Pout*

Esta: And in which universe did I become your girlfriend again, oh no sir, no sir, NO. SIR! I have better tastes than that.

Lorenzo: Hm….perhaps it wasn’t a spade you have there. Perhaps you need to stop using that construction digger instead.

Dae-Hyun: Fuck you man. Just fuck you!

Lorenzo: I don’t swing that way for you, either. Besides, I thought we had things to do before we could go to Black Betty’s?

Dae-Hyun: *Shivers* You know, I really hate you sometimes, you know that…?

*After a short time, the trio return the boy’s dorm room. Agent C’s was immersed in a phone call pertaining to the incident that had happened just moments prior. He was speaking in the language of the gods to some one on the other end. Lorenzo could pick up on a few words here and there, enough to make that out. But nothing more.

Finally, Dae-Hyun returned to the group with a USB and his laptop in hand*

Lorenzo: You managed to take care of things for now?

Dae-Hyun: Ummn…. Yes and no. I’ve just reported the situation to one of the Great goddess’ secretaries. He’s going to relay the information to her… but, for now, that all I know. I’m most likely going to be up all night decoding this thing. *gestures to the USB*

Lorenzo: I suppose considering we have gods poking their noses into things, they wouldn’t use a code a god of wisdom or intellect couldn’t decode in moments. I assume you can trust this guy and he’s not going to screw us in the ass for this, right?

Dae-Hyun: Oh I trust him wholeheartedly. He’s intelligent, resourceful and above all... Loyal to the agency. To Madame Povel herself. So yes, I trust that young man with my life. And to get a god or anyone else to decode this… well that would defeat the point of the ‘secret agent thing,’ we got going on between us. *Wink.*

Lorenzo: Fair enough. I might not like the gods, but you’re rarely wrong about who you can trust. Hopefully whatever is in that code it either decrypted quickly, or it doesn’t contain information of something that’ll be life threatening immediately. Will this be above my ‘paygrade’ to know as well, or will I also eventually hear the results?

Dae-Hyun: You’ll know when I know my friend. That all I can say for now.

Lorenzo: I trust you. For now then, I do believe we have somewhere else to go for now. If nothing else, it’s best to appear as if all is well, wouldn’t you say?

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment