Wednesday 6 September 2017

Journey Home: Road to Redemption Pt 7



Dae-Hyun: I just got some news, ‘Mommy’ just woke up.

*Whatever hint of moodiness that Lorenzo had been supporting before vanished as he looked around, eyes wide for a moment with a type of stunned relief. Quickly he hid it back into his standard neutrality, but it had been there long enough that Dae-Hyun would certainly have made note of it.*

Lorenzo: I….see. What is her condition then? Other than obviously not unconscious any more. Has she said anything?

Dae-Hyun: I dont have the specifics, but is a ‘no visitor,’ type deal. So the only thing we can do right now is just hope she’s recovers as soon a possible… *Sigh*

*Lorenzo closed his eyes. He should have known that would be the case. Just because someone was able to wake up didn’t necessarily mean they were out of danger yet. Then there was potential other complications that could be there, like being awake but not there mentally, or memory loss, or internal bleeding or…..why was Dae-hyun looking like that?*

Lorenzo:....What aren’t you telling me? You know something, don’t you? The way you seem to know everything, there’s no way you wouldn’t. Or is this one of those things where the authority would rather not have the security risk know to much?

*Looking Lorenzo like he was searching for something deep in his soul, Dae-Hyun remaining silent for the moment, before adopting a more serious disposition. Replying with Lorenzo’s question with his own.*

Dae-Hyun: Tell me, are you truly done with Phoenix? Or are you just biding your time?

Lorenzo: I don’t go around lying. I told you, I’m done. Though that doesn’t mean I’ll just join up as a Pandora agent again, either. But I have nothing left with them, either. That bridge is, quite literally, one might say, burned.

*Esta’s eyes seemed to widen in surprise at the conversation that saw going on between the two men. At the time, the relationship between the two men had not been a concern to her. But hearing it now seemed to sway her opinion of the man she recently come to know.*

Dae-Hyun: That’s not good enough, not anymore…. Shit’s beginning to stir, with more of their side effecting ours. And at the end of the day, I need to know…

*Eyes becoming beastial*

When push comes to shove, are you going to stand by US or THEM…?

Lorenzo: Why would I defend the people who outright lied to me? Not to mention that even if I was that insane as to do that again, I turned on them once. I’m their enemy now, like it or not. But if you need true convincing, then while I can’t say I’ll step in for a god, if it comes down to it….I’ll choose you guys. Haven’t you realised yet? If I was going to help them…..why would I have let N or you bring me back here at all? Why haven’t I left yet? If I….if I was never going to help you, don’t you think I’d be gone already? I’m not chained, I’ve left before. In other words, think about it: I wouldn’t be here now if I wasn’t going to help in some way.

*Being somewhat relieved by the Lorenzo’s response, both Esta and Dae-Hyun seemed to let out a breath, in a note that practically said ‘good’.*

Dae-Hyun: …. *Relaxing slightly* Well, thank fuck for that…. I guess we can proceed in telling him, right, Stuart?

Stuart: Indeed. Master Lorenzo, if you will pay attention to your communicator.

*Ah, so it had in fact been one of those ‘security risks can’t know’, though it seemed his word was still good enough - especially since he had quite bluntly pointed out his own habits. Still, he was getting more information now, so he wasn’t going to complain. Doing as asked, Lorenzo pulled out his communicator and flipped it open*

Stuart: I don’t know how much information you’ve been exposed to, so I’ll start at the beginning.  

*Information appears as Stuart begins speaking*

Stuart: In recent months, a number of our agents have been ‘head hunted’ by the Phoenix organisation. That, in turn, has left the agency with a few weak points in both its defence and its intelligence. Then, recently, there was an attempted break in to steal one of the three sacred books. Do you know the one I’m referring to?

Lorenzo: Yes, I know about this. Definitely about the head hunting - it is one of the many reasons why I kept referring to keeping an eye on your agents, even so, no matter the rank. As for the book….yes, I know of the plans for that. There is another of a rank similar to that I held that headed that operation. I’ll give the details later. They’re not someone to take lightly.

Dae-Hyun: Neither are we. Due the suspicions lingering in the organisation, Miss Powell purposely created two new groups before she left - those I’m unable to disclose to you, as you technically do not consider yourself ‘one of us’.  But I will say this: there are a select few people who know of them. There is a code in which only those select people know, and...

Stuart: They relay information and sciences to Madam Povell. They answer only to Madam Povell, and if they find anything or anyone suspicious, they will exterminate it. Be it friend or foe.

*It was fair enough that he couldn’t know about some information. He had expected it, after all. As such he didn’t do anything other than click his tongue absently. Even so, he shifted uncomfortably*

Lorenzo: And….what would happen if the Madam wasn’t trustworthy herself. Everyone has their price, after all. Although having a group answer to more than one person has its flaws as well….Either way, are there contingencies? ‘He’ could get to her too, after all.

Stuart: …. Are you aware of milady's personal life? Well, more accurately, about how she came into the position?  If I remember correctly, by the time you we first drafted as an agent, the story was already becoming something of a company folk law.

Lorenzo: Her past history is not the point, Stuart. I’ve seen it, you know...what he can do. Unless you are going to tell me she has some secret that prevents her from ever being swayed? Because if she has something that can do that, please, enlighten me.

Stuart: It is precisely the point that I bring this up. *Stern tone*

*With this, Stuart seemed to stop the car, flipping a switch that dimmed the ambient light that shone in through the tinted window, casting the car in complete shadow. Flipping another switch, a screen in the center on the car glinted to life. An image of a somewhat archaic portrait dominated the screen. A lone parent with nearly two identical children at his feet. Lorenzo's eyes widened as he noticed the two daughters standing by the older gentleman.*

Stuart: Can you differentiate between the two children?

Lorenzo: Twins…..then isn’t this even more of a security risk? After all, even if one is thought dead at this point….well, didn’t my situation teach anything? But I’m going to assume that you have some reason for showing me this other than to prove my point?

Stuart: It appears that you heard one of the many miss informed tales that went around at the time. In truth, neither of the two died, but there was an apparent betrayal one of the sisters, Marielle, who brought death upon the Powell Family line. She introduced Devour into the home, poisoned the patriarch after he had signed the company off to her sister and then found a way to silence her… by turning into the being they were meant to govern… After she tamed her more beasial form, she cast out her sister form the household.  Over the years, she's tried to cause ‘trouble,’ but nothing to this extent…. There's a theory going around that the current head of Phoenix may in fact be she. I was wondering, did you ever see someone with Madame Povell’s features around during your time… on the other side?

*For a moment, Lorenzo was quiet, trying to put his thoughts into words. Finally, he spoke once more, quietly*

Lorenzo: There’s reasons I kept talking about keeping an eye on things…As for what I saw...A swish of too familiar hair, knowing eyes watching from the shadows, a whispered voice that was familiar, yet not. Does that tell you anything?

Esta: that…. You make her sound like some sort of beast from the bowels of hell! Jeez, Edger Allen Poe, dial it back a bit!

Lorenzo: *Deadly serious tone* I’m not exaggerating.

Esta: Sh~it! Then she general aura juxtaposed to our Lady’s….

Lorenzo: That may be the case, but even then, she has more skills than being ‘creepy’. There is a reason for her holding a high position in the Phoenix ranks. They don’t just place people angry at the gods there, and even just having power isn’t going to cut it. She’s cunning, and then, think about it - if she was able to do what Stuart was saying, then she has to be persuasive, manipulative. If she’s not a consummate actor, or at least have the silver tongue of a devil, then I’ll eat Father’s Master Bolt.

Stuart: Interesting.

Dae-Hyun: Damn, then I think we might just need back up on this. Though I'm not part of her appointed team, I know who are. If anything, I’ll become their informant. I remember that bitch. Though our lady won in the end, she had to go into hiding for a decade. Only Alister and on of there close comrades were allowed to see her.

Stuart: For a moment, we thought we lost her. But in the end, it wasn't enough to best our lady. She is a divine hero, after all. It wouldn't be proper for her to fall that easily.  

Lorenzo: Then when I say ‘keep an eye out for anything strange with the higher ups’, will you do so? I do include her in the equation. And maybe not the Lady herself, but…I’m assuming you understand. You need to be absolutely sure. Even if it’s just an odd blip in behaviour, stay vigilant.

Dae-Hyun: Duly noted. I have a few friends that will cause a bit of… tasteful chaos, should she try anything, same with the new hireup.  Information and technology is something I refuse to let her get her mitts on.

Esta: Same goes for me. My team are harping on the main body of agents, who they draft and the checks are becoming more thorough.  Since the draft new rules, there's been less agents switching sides, though it's slowed the growth of the agents coming in.

Stuart: That's not an issue. We have an abundant reserve for the moment, though with international support, the ‘mundane’ are willing to give use of their soldiers as and when the organisation needs it.

Esta: That's fine. Then I’ll do my best on my end.

*Finally, finally they were understanding his warnings. It was strange how relieved he felt at that, closing his eyes against the tide of emotions that swirled inside. Though he wasn’t sure if they would also connect that as being one of his many, many reasons why Pandora could never be fully open to him again as well. Not his only reason, of course, but a primary one. For now, however, he was satisfied that these three, at least, would be prepared.*

Lorenzo: As long as these people are those you trust, then I have no complaints on that front. I apologies for being unable to say it all up front. I’m afraid that I dont have the same luxury to know who I can risk overhearing, at least not the way you, who interact with everyone so closely, might.

Dae-Hyun: Wait….YOU…. just apologised for something????

Stuart: Excuse me, Master L, but I believe it pigs may fly this evening, so do be careful.

Dae-Hyun:  I know, right? Hahahaha!

Lorenzo: Fine, I take it back then! See if I ever say something like that again! Hmph!

*Sulkily, Lorenzo crossed his arms, turning his head to the direction of the still blackened windows.*

Esta: Oh dear. Don’t mind them, hun, they’re just being teases. Here, take this. *Hands Lorenzo a pile of baked goods* They were for the rabid lion, but I think they will suffice as an apology for those two. *Sweet smile*

Dae-Hyun: Esta~ those were mine!!!

Esta: Your point is, rabid lion!?!? *Growling*

Lorenzo: At least one of you has good manners. You reap what you sow, C. *A mischievous grin crosses his face* You could even say it was….’just desserts’.

Esta: Booooo! *Chuckle*

Dae-Hyun: Dude, that was bad and you know it! Ahahah.

Stuat: *Chuckle*

*Lorenzo merely shrugs and leans back in his seat, pastries in their wrapping on his lap, yet he strangely felt relaxed, despite being the butt of a joke. With the occupants of the car descending into playful banter, Stuart merely smiled, flicked the switches to allow the car proper internal lighting once more and turned his full attention back to the road. They would be at the academy soon enough*

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment