Sunday 3 September 2017

Journey Home: Road to Redemption Pt 6



*After what seemed to be a rowdy evening of bantering between the next day seemed to start of relatively tame, Esta had come early in the morning the prepare the morning meal.  As the two men were awake greeted by the smell of French Toast and ground coffee.*

Lorenzo *Somewhat sleep blearily as he pulls coffee to himself* Miss Esta, you’re an angel.

Dae-Hyun: Hey man don’t steal my lines before i can say it damn it!

Lorenzo: Mgh...

*Without the energy to argue, he instead had most of his focus on his coffee instead, cradling it as if it were Ambrosia instead.*

Esta: Now, now boys, no fighting in the morning. Now, where’s this coat you were on about? We have a few hours before we have to head in, so I’d like to get it out of the way.

*Rubbing sleep from his eyes, Lorenzo blindly reached over to where he had draped the coat the day before and handed it over to her, even though the brief look he gave to the material itself was conflicted between disdainful, yet longing.*

Lorenzo: Will the measurements you took for our previous outfits be sufficient?

*Eyeing the item slightly and then Lorenzo, Esta sighed before handing it back.*

Esta: Usually yes, but not this time. I’m going to need to tailor it on you. The material is, well… a rarity. I won't be able to have another shot say if something goes wrong. Get ready and I’ll do the best I can to scale it down. Would you like the same design or would you like me to come up with something?  

Lorenzo: You haven’t let us down on your recommendation of clothing the previous time we met. I’ll leave such alterations to you. All I know is that it should be capable of being worn in potential battle scenarios, so nothing too extravagant.

Esta: Sure. On that note, get ready, quickly. And, as for you, rabid lion, here’s my bill for ‘last time.’

*Ignoring any complaints that Dae-Hyun was bound to launch, whether or not he took the bill, Lorenzo did as indicated and, once ready, awaited the necessary job of being Esta’s mannequin for the alterations*

Esta: Now that the mangy lion is out of the room…

*She assist Lorenzo in wearing the coat, eyeing him for a moment, trying not to grin slightly*

Esta: Oh dear. That piece seems to be wearing you, not the other way around, huh?  

Lorenzo: *Eyebrow twitching* So I’ve been informed. I’m assuming with that being the case you have enough material to make the necessary adjustments?

Esta: And then some. *Chuckle* Now hold still.

*A second pair of disembodied hands wrapped into view one with scissors, another fetching a bag Esta had brought in while the boys were sleeping. She seemed nonchalant as the hands dropped the bag by her feet.*

Lorenzo: Huh….is that personal magic or, excuse me if I sound ignorant, part of your race’s abilities, Miss Esta? Whichever it is, it seems quite useful.

Esta: *Chuckle* Did you forget that I’m a Jorogumo? Like demons, there are some that look and act more beastly and others, like me, who, for the most part, are ‘human’ with the abilities of our beastial counterparts. I’m just lucky that the most my bloodline could produce was disembodied hands. I still shed ever now and then, which gives me the blessing of youth, but... Oh, and if you were wondering, no, I don’t ‘eat’ my partners, though I am obsessed with cooking hahaha.

*Her hands seems to move like magic, creating a coordinated symphony of fabric, snipping of sizzers and drawn thread. The coat seemed to shrink and mold itself to Lorenzo as she worked.*

Esta: ...Though that all counts for naught when, as soon as people learn what I’m descended from, they turn and run… Most Jorogumo I know don’t feast on human flesh, or our partners, for that matter, unless the extreme happens and even at that... *Sad smile* Oh, turn around. I’m going to update the insignia on the back to match Zeus’…. But I’m kind of feeling the distressed look it got right now. One sec, I’m going to get a little…. Handsy with you for a moment.

*All four of her hands set to work emblem the back of the coat, bringing back the like into the piece, and making final aesthetic touches as well. Finally, with one last tug of the needle, the revived coat was done. Quite magnificent in all its glory. Thought its original cut was gone and a newer style was now in its place, Esta had somehow kept the the feel of its original concept intact. She could see its sentimental value and wanted to let that shine through at least a little.*

Esta: The mirror’s over there. Take a look.

*Having been a little on edge about it since she mentioned wanting to put Zeus’ mark on there (he might be learning to recall the good times with his father, but he was by no means ready to consider the two of them on amicable terms yet), Lorenzo quickly made his way to the mirror and checked the back, first and foremost. True, there was a lighting bolt on there, but it wasn’t quite the same as Zeus. It was a emblem that had a more ‘earthy’ feeling to it, as if it was somewhat tarnished, and it felt less ‘Zeus’ and more him, instead. He couldn’t help but sigh in relief at that. The last thing he needed was more references to being ‘son of Zeus’, but this way one could just think it was due to his own lightning affinities.

Inspection of the back done, he took a little longer to look at the coat in its entirety and was pleased with what he could see. Even better, he no longer looked like he was a child playing dress up.*

Lorenzo: My lady, you are indeed a miracle worker. You have my thanks. Although….thanks does not pay your bill. How much do I owe you, my friend?

Esta: *Coy gaze while tapping fingers on her lips* ...Oh, I could think of a number of ways you could repay a lonely girl like me… but I’ll settle for info.

*Esta looked down at the floor. There were still panels of excess fabric scattered around examining it and setting to work again making a both a wallet and watch. Before placing them both down on the table for Lorenzo to equip later.  *

Lorenzo:....What kind of information are you looking for?

*He turns to her, face a little on the stoic side, but thankfully not entirely blanking her. He was still quite willing to hear her out.*

Lorenzo: After all, there may be things I know. There may not be.

Esta: *Chuckle* You know, that stoic side of you is really attractive, right?  ‘N’ don’t worry, it’s nothing major. I just want to know how you’re settling in at the school. I heard you and the kids are ‘cute’ together. They even sent you ‘gifts’ hahaha.

*Lorenzo rolled his eyes a little, blankness breaking slightly as he relaxed a little, fine to grant that information to the woman*

Lorenzo: As well as can be, I suppose, when I was thrown into the job with no prior warning and without even having the official qualifications. They’ve yet to kill me, I’ve yet to kill them, and C has yet to have a nervous breakdown between the lot of us. Although….

*He glanced away for a moment, a moment of uncertainty crossing his face before it was gone*

Lorenzo:....I don’t know how to describe it. I hate it, honestly, and yet….It’s….there’s something else there to. I just can’t put it to words yet. I feel like I’m on the edge of something, but what it is…..well, I’ve only been there a short time. Since I have no choice but to continue for the time being….we’ll see. Hopefully none of us will end up snapping before then.

*He laughs, putting his face in one hand*

Lorenzo: It’s kind of funny, you know? If this was monitored by the government as it’s meant to, there’s no way I’d be permitted around children. I’d be thrown into a psychiatric ward sooner than being permitted to be around them. How C convinced anyone this was a good idea….Ha!

Esta: …. I’ve noticed a few things since we met…. One, you have an obvious complex that even the blind can see. Two, you don’t know how to fully trust and believe in those around you. Three, you’re always putting yourself down. Four, you’re now beginning to regain a purpose and five, you seem to be having fun. Seriously, sometimes I really want to hug you and other times I wanna shove a bottle of Prozac down your throat so you can lighten the hell up and chill out.  

*Unable to help himself, Lorenzo laughs at the last comment. He thought he might need a bit more than that, but even so, it was still funny to him. Smiling and shaking his head, he continues to hear her out.*

Esta: Now, I’m not saying be like the rabid lion, but, seriously, all the tension you have is gonna lead to health issues when you’re older. Trust me, I should know! Long story short, if you ever need the hook up, I’m there. Just kidding, but if you need someone to vent to, I’m always around.  I’m either in the textiles block or the catering block, as I’m head of both in the academy, so yeah. *Smile*

*For a moment, Lorenzo is quiet. Finally, he gives her a small smile.*

Lorenzo: I think it’s a little late on the ‘health issues’ front, but...thank you. For the offer, I mean - of venting, not the other one. I’ll...think about it. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll even take you up on it. Though, as you say, I have trust issues, so...don’t be too upset if it takes me a while. But one day.

Esta: That's all I ask, hun. Now lets eat!

*After a short while, the table is set and Dae-Hyun returns with phone in hand. Laughing slightly*

Esta: What? Hurry up and eat already, we’re leaving soon.

Dae-Hyun: Yeah, yeah. I just got a message from Zeus… he said you look adorable in new coat. He also said this is his new wall paper.

*Picture of Lorenzo laughing wearing the trench coat, from his conversation with Esta earlier. Lorenzo’s expression turned stony at that and turns his head away*

Lorenzo: He’s a stalker. Tell him to fuck off.

Esta: Sounds like a overly doting father to me, ‘n’ I won’t lie, your smile is adorable hun.

Lorenzo: A doting father who is not in the room, let no one know he is there and can somehow take a photograph? No, I see stalker. Just because I’m fine to take the coat, doesn’t mean that we’re suddenly on good terms again. I’m certainly not close enough to him again to appreciate him taking unknown photographs of me. Especially without my knowledge.

*A buzzing sound emits from Dae-Hyun’s communicator*

Dae-Hyun: *Chuckle* Pft! He said there’s nothing wrong with a ‘papa’ taking photos of his little lightning bolt. He used to do it all the time and he said he won’t stop anytime soon. AND that your still cute when you’re asleep. Here’s proof

*Image of Lorenzo sleeping in his pajamas.*

Lorenzo: *looks at the photograph for a long moment, before gracefully standing* I changed my mind. I’m defecting. I’m bringing Olympus down on everyone’s heads and stabbing him with a lightning bolt just to prove I am not happy with this. I will laugh over his body. *Ains towards the door*

*Communicator buzzes once more*

Dae-Hyun:  Oh, he sent a video clip. *Plays Video*

*Video*

Zeus: Morning ‘Renze! I must say, you were right, it does look better on you than me. Oh, and if you're really planning to fight me…. Well you still have a a few sever hundred millennia to go before you even scratch me. Love you n have a good day at work. *Winking and blows kiss*

*Losing whatever humour he had in the situation, Lorenzo snarls and launches a lightning bolt at the communicator, shattering it into pieces in the other agent’s hands. Glaring, he throws the door open and storms off. He is not happy at the god spying on him. He hadn’t even fully forgiven the god and he just assumes that it was ok to do something like that? He was angry enough he even considered dumping the coat as well, but Esta had put effort into it to make it his. As such, he kept that, if only to spite the man. However, he was certainly not going to just be ok with the god blustering back into his life as if he had been an unruly child who only needed a wrist slap and things went back to normal. Hate ran through him again, however, he dug his nails into his palms to avoid throwing any more lightning around in a fit of temper.

He didn’t slow down until he had reached a quiet room in headquarters, doing his best to get some kind of control over himself again, ignoring the faint wetness in his palms where his nails had dug a little too hard into skin, absently noting that he was crackling a little with electricity.

The lights flickered off.

….Oops. Looks like he shorted the fuse.

Hugging himself tightly in an effort to calm himself, he screwed his eyes shut and forced himself to breathe through the rage. Cautiously, the door opened and a regal looking man seemed to glide in the room. Carrying both a book and a necklace in hand. He strode towards Lorenzo, before stopping and sharply striking the demigod on the head with the book in question.*

Regal man: You know, you take his jokes waaay to seriously, right? He's just overly excited to have his favorite son back. Just ignore him. Dummy!

*Flinching away from the other for a moment, not wanting to accidentally spark the other man, Lorenzo took a few steps back, still hugging himself, but less out of controlling rage and more out of a kind of self comfort*

Lorenzo:....That’s not why I’m mad, Perseus. And he doesn’t have anyone back. He should know that. I don’t want him in my life like that….There’s too much between us for me to ever be happy about him being so….interfering. I want everyone to just leave me alone. Especially him. *He hugs himself tighter* I know, you’re going to scold me, tell me I’m an idiot and forgive him already, just like everyone else. But I just can’t do that, ok? So…spare me the lecture, brother.

Perseus: You’re right, you are an idiot. I’m glad you acknowledged it. You’re both as stubborn as each other, thick headed as each other and annoying as each other. Almost an exact clone in every way but one… and that’s why this is going to be hard. So, no, I won’t ask you forgive him. Not now, anyway, but soon someday soon. While this version of him is still around.

Believe it or not, by the time you were born, he...got better as a father, at least. Now, he’s not gonna win father of the year award, but he got better…. *mumble* He actually stuck around till you became a man, unlike the rest of us…. But… at least...at the very least TRY and let things go. It’s how ‘He’ got a hold of you in the first place. The last thing I want you to do is fall back into his grasp, eh?

Anyway, I’m on a timer. I’m managing one of his companies now, so I’ll give you a gift from me. Big brothers jealous that ‘Renzie only got a gift from ‘papa’.

*Places the necklace around Lorenzo’s neck. The pendent seems to hang just above where his navle would be. Perseus checks Lorenzo over, before healing his slightly bloodied hands. The wounds didn't seem too deep.*

Perseus: Calm yourself before you go back. And… as cliche as it sounds, cherish the time you have left, with the ones you care about, even divine beings such as us and our forbears aren't immune to death's door. That old fool especially.

*Lorenzo just shakes his head, not really wanting to hear him say it*

Lorenzo: Why does everyone think I’ll care if he dies? Everyone keeps making it out like I’m supposed to be this perfect person that can just let things go, that I’ll just…..be that person again. I’m not!

*He covered his ears and slides down the wall, having finally just reached his limit on this for the day*

Lorenzo: I’m not, ok? I’m not! Please…..please stop….acting like I’m that person, Like I’ll care about any of this. I….I just…

*He takes a shuddering breath*

Lorenzo: ….Just…..tell him to stay out of my life, ok? If he dies and we don’t reconcile, then that’s my burden to bear. But at the same time, if we do become even moderately friendly again, I want it on my own terms. Not because I’m being pushed by people who think they know better, or because Zeus is jumping the gun. Maybe it’s not logical. Maybe it’s stupid. But I’ve not seen anything clearly for some time, ok? I’m not ready yet.

*He ducks his head to his knees*

Lorenzo: Not yet…but someday. At least…..try to get him….to understand that. Give me time to learn not to hate him…

Perseus: *Sigh*  SINCE YOU’RE WATCHING THIS, FATHER, I WON’T WASTE MY BREATH. *Look down at Lorenzo, before sighing once more*  You both are fools: the fool desperately trying to chase and protect his child, and the other, younger idiot, stuck in his own world of self hate. At this point in time, I can’t do anything for you both, because it starts with you, kid, and YOU GIVE HIM A BREATHER! I KNOW YOU’RE HAPPY TO HAVE HIM BACK ,GEEZ! A pair of flawed, foolish fellows aren’t you…? *Strokes Lorenzo’s Head.*  Now, pull yourself together. You can’t have your ‘cute students’ seeing their cool teacher like this no? Oh no, that simply won’t do.

*A soft glow emits from the pendent, as Perseus turns to leave. The light seems to have a calming effect on the younger demigod.*

Perseus:  One more thing, read the book. It's shitty… but it’ll help.

*With that Perseus left the younger brother alone in his thoughts. For a while, Lorenzo doesn’t move, just allowing himself to feel the calming effect from the pendent, slowing his breathing and soothing the raw edges of his mind. Eventually, however, he tiredly lifts his head to glance at the book Perseus left him, before snorting slightly at the title. Even so, he pulls the book to him and holds it to his chest anyway. He wants to stay in there for a while longer, to let himself have the time to fully compose himself, but he knows he won’t be allowed. Classes will be starting soon enough and C would never permit him time. He just hopes the raw state he was in didn’t cause him to go on a genocidal rampage or do something else he might regret. However, he is used to pushing through, even when he felt his worst (and, thankfully, the pendent made sure this certainly wasn’t the worst he had felt). S,o he forced himself back to his feet, tucking the book away from view - thankfully the coat had deep pockets - and made himself head out towards the car. Dae-Hyun would eventually find him there, he supposed. However, he was pretty much determined not to talk about what happened. He was too tired for another emotional breakdown.

*A short time later, both Esta and Dae-Hyun left the grounds and headed toward the car. Stewart had the door waiting for them, while Esta gave out the files for the day. Both Dae-Hyun and Esta seemed to be avoiding the subject. They had notice a certain demigod exiting the lobby and noted a younger demigod’s demeanor. The picture was clear, even if they didn't have all the details, it was best not to press it for the moment, they thought.*

Dae-Hyun: I just got some news, ‘Mommy’ just woke up.

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment