Sunday 30 July 2017

The Journey Home pt 1



--- Private Jet Landing, Three Hours From Base ---

*The engines of the Pandora blazoned Jet finally going still, the passengers carefully disembarked to transfer to the cars awaiting them. The stretcher carrying Agent N is carefully carried into one of the cars fitted with medical equipment to help keep her stable on the journey to the Pandora base, while the smaller car awaited Agent C and Lorenzo, A chauffeur standing ready to open the doors for the two of them to get inside. Neither man spoke to each other for the moment, not particularly wanting to cause any delays by people hoping to eavesdrop on them, whether they were exchaging important information or snide comments, instead ducking into the car. The silence continued to reign until the Chauffeur had entered the driver's seat.

As one, the engines of the two vehicles came to life before speeding off to the road that would lead them ‘home’.

As the car began to pick up speed,’ Agent C finally broke the silence*

Agent C: Hmph! *Slight smirk*

Lorenzo: Speaking in neanderthal language now?

Agent C: You do realise I’m the only one out the two of us carrying a weapon, right? I suggest you play nice now ‘Daddy.’

Stuart: *Chuckle* Now, now Master ‘C’, I would appreciate it if you wouldn’t destroy another one of my vehicles.

Agent C: Yeah, yeah. You think you could give us a little privacy? I’ll ‘ding’ when we’re done.

Stuart: Certainly.

*With a quick nod of acknowledgment, Stuart flicks a switch, raising a divider to give the men a conference type room in the back seat. Small holograms  Illuminate the center of the now private area.*

Agent C: A lot different from the time you were last here old timer, huh? They even changed the brand design and everything.

Lorenzo: Considering the passage of time, I would have been far more concerned and
disappointed if there had not been some form of technological advancements in the organization. Clearly the science division, at the very least, have been performing as adequately as usual. Still, I’m assuming that you didn’t ask for the driver to give us privacy so you could either shoot me or merely show off. What point are you hoping to make, here?

Agent C: Oh well, we are stick in the mud, aren’t we? *Overly dramatic sigh* And here I thought I would make small talk with you. But no~, we just had to be all mean. Oy vey, such a heartless, unloving Pappa we have here. I mean, since we have to play nice ‘n’ all, since we have to put on an act for the ‘show’, might as well start now, no?

Lorenzo: Well, I suppose at least the ‘point’ wasn’t merely to prove whom of us was more of a Prick.

Agent C: Well of course not! No one’s a bigger prick than you, papa. *Grin*

Lorenzo: *Eye roll* What I get for ‘spawning’ such a pricky child, I suppose. Still, such training in competitions aside, if we are to at least seem as though we are getting along, if only to prevent wasting everyone’s time, how do you propose to do this? I highly doubt that it would seem natural for us to all of a sudden be best friends. You seem to have something in mind.

Agent C: Nothing spectacular Just play ‘nice’ play the part just like you did before you turned on us.

*agent C crosses his legs while leaning against the door window*

Agent C: It was such a great performance, so I knoooow you can do it again. Just remember you’ve finally been relieved of your ‘Level S undercover work’....  If anyone asks, defuse the situation, tell them that the contents of the mission is top secret, so you can't go into it. That SHOULD shut them up. And here.

*Agent C pulls a box from underneath his seat.*

Agent C: You remember how to use these right?  You got a shiny new ID Card ‘n’ everything.

*Lorenzo takes the box warily before looking inside, eyes narrowing ever so slightly to see much of what the box contained were objects that originally belonged to him. They were things that he had to leave behind, of course - once his decision was made, he could hardly come back for his belongings. Not that he had explained that he hadn’t, on that day, particularly planned to abandon Pandora, when he had gone on that fateful mission. He doubted, however, that C would willingly hear him out on it. No matter how one looked at it, he did, in the end, turn on them for real.
Shaking those thoughts from his head, he picked up the communicator from the top of the box, turning it in one hand as he recognised the familiar patterns and grooves, though there were a few extra scuff marks he didn’t recognise - likely gained when he had ‘fallen’ in that battle, and the subsequent exposure to the elements until it was returned to Pandora once more. Drawing on old memories, he turned the communicator on, eyeing the familiar scene baring his old identification number*

Lorenzo: It would seem that the memories haven’t left me. *He eyes Agent C a moment* And you are willing to go through with this? That I was in an ‘undercover mission’? Or is it merely a convenience? What about Pouvel? Surely she’d be aware of everything at this point. How, exactly, do you explain my presence to her? Or is that what you’re hoping, that I’d lower my guard and, once there, hand me over to her for court martial? Or execution? You are the one with the weapon here, so surely there’s no need to hide it if that was your plan.

Agent C: You… You know, sometimes I wonder are you just curious, or just one cynical bastard. Of course she knows… she knew the day you turned on her…. ‘Us’. She knew exactly what happened during the Red War and she knows that we’re on our way back now.

Did you ever stop to wonder just Why he’s gave you the position that she did? Why she let you do as you please and why she let you go? I mean, when the extraction team came to pick out what was left of 226, she was pissed, out for blood. So many of her children were dead and their blood were on your hands. Huh, I wonder if you see them every time you close your eyes….? Do their faces haunt your dreams? Or are you past that…?

But anyway, that’s neither here nor there. I’ll give you the short answer. She doesn’t want to lose a good soldier. The change you so desperately wanted. If you would have waited a little while longer you could have seen it. That spectacle was the trigger that put that thought into motion. It force her to pick up her pase and change the organization's tactics  and finally after nearly a decade. Here we are. The one proud lion of the heavens is now a teacher for human children teaching them and their elders about man and the mystic.

Rebuilding a bridge that was destroyed eons ago, the education is slow, we have to ease in the change after all but it's happened. And that's what N was trying to tell you, show you even but hey she out of commission. So daddy got me and I guess I have to show you the ropes now old timer.

Lorenzo: You make it seem as though I purposefully lead the Red War to disaster….that wasn’t how it happened, actually. In fact, it wasn’t even my intention to leave at that time. If anything, my ‘leaving’ of that battle field wasn’t even my own choice…*He stopped himself, before laughing cynically* Ah, what does it matter. No matter how I explain it, I will always be the Villain to Pandora’s Hero from the moment I truly cut ties. Still, Pouvel’s acceptance of a good soldier back to the ranks so easily after a known betrayal? Hardly. I’m not expecting such an easy return. And I have yet to agree to stay. All I have agreed to is leaving Phoenix. Do remember that.

Agent C: Aaaaaand it’s that thought process that truly made you a hard ass. Do you truly believe that they all see you as a villain? Do you truly believe that our Lady would just judge you without considering All possible motives. No, she’s smarter than that.

Lorenzo: Our Lady?

Agent C: You know, whatever the reason you had… you were probably not the only one who thought about it. As a matter of fact, you weren't the only one to turn their backs on us, but… the void in 226, in the agency…. That was the most painful thing. So, if you want to go after, then that's fine, but...give us a proper goodbye this time. And…

*An almost unintelligible whisper*

Agent C: If there comes a time where you have the time to tell your side of the story…. Then, what's left of the ‘family’, or at the very least I am more than willing to hear it.

Lorenzo: You….would do? *he turns to C fully* I’ll admit, considering your response to me when we first reunited, I had begun to think you wouldn’t be willing to hear my reasoning. You seemed almost dead set on believing that I had coldly and calculatingly used the group and disposed of you all when I left. So…is this for….closure? Or was there something else that made you decide that I have a right to explain?

Agent C: Oh, make no mistake, I plan on whopping your ass when I have the time for everything you put us though. For the fact that you kept all that BS inside when you couldn't even talk to N or me about it. So, yeah, partly closure and partly ‘coz I never want the Red War to happen again.  Not with you or anyone. A family has to stay united after all, at least that's what a cynical bastard once told me along time ago.

*For a moment, Lorenzo was quiet. Finally, he let out a breath, eyes closed and face close to resigned*

Lorenzo:....Alright. I give my word then. Should I decide to leave, or stay, I promise that I will tell you my story. If only for closure. Whether you forgive me or not after that, that will be your choice to make. If you feel, then, that you still need to ‘kick my ass’, you are then welcome to try.

Agent C: Either way I’m still kicking your ass, it’s my god given right. Stupid-ass…

Lorenzo: *Smirks* As I said, you’re welcome to try.

Agent C: Dont tempt me I’m Still armed mind you.

Lorenzo: Ah, but would you truly want to waste ammo and then also pay for the upholstery for the char as well? Seems rather expensive a revenge for you.

*The smirk fell from his face after a while, turning his attention to the window, watching the scenery go by for a long moment.After a long moment, he spoke again*

Lorenzo: One assumes that Pouvel will be interested in learning what she can about Phoenix from me. Whether she does or doesn’t, however…..I have a feeling. Perhaps it comes from my own dirty blood, but….it feels as though we are closing on the climax of this war, no matter what side I end up taking. I wonder if the gods are aware or not? Or whether they know and yet still stubbornly remain silent.

Agent C: … You know…. I thought this for a while, but your out look on your kin is kind of warped. The same blood that you curse, is the same blood that has the power to forge your own destiny, no? I can only speak from my own experience. But, it's not all bad, having their blood running through ‘our’ veins. So long as you know that you're nothing like them and plan to be a much better… man than they ever could be. I mean, look at you. Before the war you had accomplished far more than he ever could in such a short space of time while you were here. And look at them. While they were panicking, half breeds like us managed to sort out the turmoil down here. I won't lie, the looks on their faces when we showed them the fix was priceless… Surprising them, surpassing them, educating them should be a better goal than just wanting them gone.  Trust me, out of everyone in this world, I feel you the most, but when I think about it, it seems like a much better way to live.

*Agent C closed his eyes, a slight smile painted his lips, for a brief moment.*

Lorenzo: As a Mortal, you mean? Indeed, I have no particular malice to any who live on this plain. My ire has always been at them. For once, however, I speak not in wrath for them, but rather….confusion, I suppose. Is it possible that it is only due to mixed heritage that we are capable of feeling the coming ‘End’ looming over us? Or can they sense it as well, yet, as usual, wait for others to bring about that end, then claim that they had a hand in it?

*He huffed slightly, before closing his eyes*

Lorenzo: Or perhaps I’m thinking too much about it. Never mind. I speak riddles at times. Perhaps my sanity is indeed more questionable than my ponderings.

Agent C: Oh, they know… that's why there panicking now. The ‘game’ is coming to an end, how could they act oblivious? Now, more than ever, they're playing their trump cards. This last match will decide the victor. I just hope that the damage will be minimal. But, saying that… I guess they have to put on a show. The stage is set after all.

Lorenzo: Makes sense. Phoenix knows as well. There are rumours, in the ranks. Seven. Surely you know the significance of the Seven Shadows. Perhaps it is not so strange, then, that the gods only become active only when the most obvious of signs emerge.

Agent C: I wouldn't say they were completely stationary. Ever since a certain group of heros died due to the ‘original’ shadow, they have been a lot more on edge. I remember when I was still in employ in the heavens, my former  ‘Master’ refused to use their heros for anything more than communication. I remember reading past scripts that a few of the elite Heros even thought of a preventative measure against them as well. As long as what the seven stand for still lives in the hearts of men and the mystic alike, they will always be reborn.

Lorenzo: I hope they are aware that it will be impossible to annihilate them. As you say, so long as what they stand for live in the hearts of the living, they will continue to ‘be’. But no, I know they have never been stationary, but what I mean is that they are no longer acting separately. They are acting with purpose. In other words, the ‘Original’ is no longer dormant. No wonder they panic if they are aware that the Shadows are once again answering to ‘Him’. Perhaps the gods have seen fit to pass on such information. If they haven’t, well….assuming that I don’t decide to stay, I do hope you might think to revitalise some of those measures. While Humans will always have the choice whether to cling to the Shadows, or dismiss their seduction, it might, at least, prevent more ‘mes’ from occurring in the ranks. I would also keep an eye on individuals as well. Pandora is not an unbreakable fortress, after all.

Agent C: That I know, your buddies made quite a mess last time they... visited. But you're right. To be honest, we’ve already begun to look into that. We even have a few new leaders. We certainly aren't the paragon of truth and justice we emulate to certain individuals, but... but we try hardest not to have corruption in the ranks be it from the top or the bottom.

Lorenzo: I hope that you have looked as thoroughly as you say, for your sakes….As you know, there is only so much I know. Even then, there is still a lot more that went on, even without my knowledge. But, what I can say is, even if you feel a person could never betray the organization, don’t automatically pass over them. Just in case. Not everything is as it seems.

Agent C: I understand that all too well. Dont worry I have my spies it's my job to make sure the company doesn't implode on itself remember.

Lorenzo: I recall. But sometimes one doesn’t see the forest for the trees until one is already lost within them.

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment