Wednesday 8 February 2017

True Believers: Food Edition



Nadia: Hi guys! It’s me, Nadia! I’m all alone today - Tara’s hands are out of commission right now, so she’s taking this post off.  Sooooooooo….. I’m gonna start by saying I love the idea of having us order food before the con, so we don’t need to faff around and we can just stay on our tables. The prices were pretty good and what we ordered did ‘look’ amazing.

But I judge me taste buds and you know when it comes to food, ya girl has NO FILTER!!!!
Don’t worry, I’ll say some nice things, too.

But let’s start with breakfast. I had an egg and tomato bap. Visually, it looked great - it was light and fluffy on the egg, the tomato was juicy, but not one lick of salt! Nor crack of pepper. I was so confused… OK, let me tell you something. Cooking 101: seasoning an omelet. Into the eggs, add a few cracks of salt and pepper. If you wanna ‘Go crazy’, add a little paprika and spring onions to the mix. But, by god, add salt an’ its good friend pepper to the party or there is no party.

To be honest, I should have done like Tara and got the bacon Bap. At least that had salt!

Our next lot of food was the sandwiches and, with those, I have little to no complaints. I had egg and cress and Tara had chicken and bacon. The bread was nice and fluffy. The only thing I would say is that the egg part of the egg and cress filling was way too little. It should have been more of an 80% egg and 20% cress. In mine, it was like 40% cress, 60% egg filling and, as much as I like cress, it was too intense for the pallet.

Alongside the sandwiches was the danish pastries. We both had a Maple and Pecan pastry. The only - the ONLY - complaint I have was that, on mine, there was, like. two sorry excuses for pecans and, like, ten on Tara’s, sooo...quality control error, there, bakers. Try and make sure that there is equal topping on all the baked goods, if needed.

Finally, we had the duck and hoisin noodles…. Or, as I like to call it, an impostor!!!!!! My god, this dish was an impostor dressed in sheep's clothing. Like, when you hear the name ‘duck and hoisin noodles’, what do you think of? A dry noodle, served with a marinated duck, with quite a bit of sauce? Maybe the noodle is lightly stir fried and seasoned? But NO! Just NO! We get this pot noodle….. No, no… this is worse! You thought the tasteless egg was bad, dear god…. I’m telling you, the pot noodle would have been better!!!!!!! ‘N I hate pot noodle.

Ok, lets start: when it came out, it was in this recycled type of plastic jar container… thing… Then, I look down at this jumbo thing and I can see that is a soup and I’m about to say something when I see, yes, this is what I ordered. RED Flag!

Ok, I’m confused, but why is it a soup?

Then, I’m like, ok, why does the broth look pale AF. I open the container and I’m met with a watered down flavor of what I’m guessing used to be soup, and now is flavored water.

And I’m staring at this thing, internally weighing the pros and cons of my decisions, but I soldier on. I look down first and see that there’s some spring onions floating in there at the bottom and I’m, like, ‘hold on, where’s the meat?! Where’s my duck? I was promised duck… right?’

I look over and ask Tara, ‘….. Eh… isn't there supposed to be duck in here? Where is it?’ Turns out that it’s right at the bottom. And this piddly microbe sized, overdone mess, just chilling there at the bottom of the jar. And, at this point I’m like, ‘Do I want to subject myself to this?

So, I decide, ‘Look, there’s nothing else to eat. You payed for this, just do it now’. I take a bite of that flavorless mess and I’m, like ‘nope! I’ll starve! What the hell is this?’ I’m desperately looking at the packet to see where, exactly, they went wrong and I see the fill line - it had a ¼ level line for water in this, and a little spec of seasoning would do the job with this much liquid. But, at the same time I'm like ‘Who...WHO, looks at that and says yep tiny bit of seasoning and a shit tone of waters will do the job’? Something that could have been tolerable turned out to be a disaster. I don't think myself, nor Tara could stomach this mess! No way!

But, yeah, our only saving grace was the cupcakes at the end. I wish we could have got more, but we didn't have time. They were perfect! The perfect end to a miserable day. So, I'm  gonna describe them the best way I can here :P

The cake part was light and spongy and, when you took a bite, it literally melted in your mouth. Flavor wise, it was vanilla. Not overly sweet - actually, slightly under sweetened. But the icing more than made up for it. The buttercream was sweet, not overpowering. Its texture was like eating a cloud. And the decoration was so cute with little gold balls and glitter. If I see that person with the cakes again i'm buying 50!

But yeah, that’s all for that True Believers, food wise. The idea of catering, to us, the people that are tabling, is wonderful. And the staff are amazing…. But, food wise, I'm going to give them a 4.5 out of 10 here. I would have given them a 5, but that dry ass duck and flavorless broth and eggs…. NAH BUH!

Unless you’re gonna give me salt and pepper, sesame oil and soy sauce, there was NO saving that mess.

And it's bad, because I really wanted to like the food. I could excuse the dryness of the duck if not for the lack of flavor in the broth. In ‘Ramen’, the broth is what flavors the whole dish. And again, the ratio in the pot was not worth the worth it. It would have been better if they had halved the amount of water they put in. It would have saved some of the flavor in there - what little flavor it had… The concepts work, but the delivery was just not there.

In the regards to the egg and tomato bap, give me a few sachets of salt n pep’, and I would have let it go. It was a beautifully yellow colour, the fluffiness was on par with that of scrambled eggs ‘done right’, the tomato was fresh and juicy, but it had nothing no seasoning to complement the flavors, that's all.   

But would I order that again? Probably not. Not the food I've just ranted about but, the rest, definitely. I do hope they get that under wraps. Again, the staff are great and I love the idea of ordering our food before hand. But next time, I’m bring salt, pepper and a bottle of hot sauce :P

Anyway, ‘til next time, Agents!

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment