Wednesday 23 August 2017

Journey Home: Road to Redemption Pt 4




--- Sleeping Quarters, Pandora Base ---


*When he finally came to, Lorenzo was no longer in the conference room with Zeus, but was now lying on the bed he had been assigned in Agent C’s room. He had no idea how much time had passed, exactly. While the dying sun through the windows hinted that perhaps an hour or two had gone by, he couldn’t see a clock or calendar to confirm that it was even the same day he had fallen unconscious, and there was no one around he could question. Dae-Hyun, was nowhere to be seen, though the slightly rumpled bedclothes made him think that he had been present until a short time ago. Likewise, his father was also not there.


He wasn’t sure exactly how he felt about that.


Either way, he was alone, and exhausted in more ways than mere sleep could cure.


Sighing, he pushed himself upright, wrapping his arms around his knees and pressing his forehead against them, his mind drifting over the previous events before his body had given out. Zeus, his father, had taken him away without permission and, after Lorenzo had done his level best to plunge his fist through the god’s face, had forced him to a standstill and had pleaded with him to listen, had even apologised to him for being so late, had promised he would not leave him alone.


He snorted, though without energy. So much for that one. He was alone right now, after all. Even so, he couldn’t muster the usual wrath, feeling oddly empty after burning himself out raging against his father for the many injustices. Even so, though Lorenzo knew that Zeus could have easily struck him back, other than a couple of submission holds, he had never once tried to actually hurt him.


Zeus, it seemed, had simultaneously changed, yet not changed at all.


In all honesty, however, the same could probably be said for himself. He had spent a long time hating the gods. While Zeus’ actions had certainly been a cause, it wasn’t only that, but all the gods in general that had incensed him, either for how they acted in general, how his fellow demigods, mundane people and mystics had been treated as dirt under their shoes, how they were used or blamed….


He could still recall the look in Zeus’ eyes, when he had finally been pushed too far, unable to stand being around gods that could act in such a way, that could seemingly so easily influence the few who could have changed things.*


Lorenzo [Inner Thoughts]: He didn’t understand, not truly, why I came to resent them all, why I resented him, for all the things they could have done, yet didn’t because of tradition, or because some were too arrogant to ever accept the changes. And, not only that, they then pressed that same bigotry into Pandora, our safehaven, and tearing apart everything that made it the organization we all once loved...


*Then there was the Red War, the final straw, which had caused the major changes, where he had been forced to see friends, comrades die and no god ever came to help any of their children, or answered any plea. No mercy to any of them.


Perhaps a part of him had died then. It made sense, if that was the case. It was easy for Phoenix to find those holes, after all.


It wasn’t to say he entirely thought what he had done was wrong. The Red War, his own ‘death’ had certainly been a driving force behind the changes. Perhaps what had even pulled Zeus up short in his own priorities. It also gave him a few insights now that he certainly wouldn’t have had, had he never left. But there were plenty of regrets as well.*


Lorenzo [Inner Thoughts]: A world of grey, both right, yet wrong….I cannot change the path I took. No matter what, I would have regretted something. All I can do now is move forwards, and bare the consequences of all my actions, good or ill.


*Rowdy voices the seem to be muffled through the thick oak doors of the dorm reached  Lorenzo’s ears, giving him only a short warning before it swung open with a slam, amplifying the rowdy caws of  said voices’ owners.*


Esta: You stupid lion! Do you know what time it is?! I was just about to go on a date an’ all!!!


Dae-Hyun: Wa-What! A date with who? You don’t need anyone else, you have me!!! An-and besides, you know I can’t cook, so how am I supposed to feed ‘Darling Lorenzie’? You know he’s a growing boy an’ he needs all the nutrition he can get.


Esta: Whaaaat! The cutie that was with you before is your room mate, i thought he was just an old college?!


*Her excitement seems to be plastered on her face, her lust filled eyes seemed to form hearts for a moment, at the vexation of the annoyed lion behind her.*


Dae-Hyun: Jeez, what do you see in him? I’m just as strong! I’m younger and more handsome than that old man!!!!


Esta: Did you say something, immature, broke-ass lion?


Dae-Hyun: Jeezus, woman, wanna hit me harder?!


Esta: *Razed brow* Well, if that’s what you’re into?


Dae-Hyun:  ...Seriously?


Esta: I’m not the one who said it. Anyway.


*Her voice, which seemed sarcastic and course, lightened up for a brief moment as she called out into the dorm, slowly making her way into the main area.*


Esta: Lorenzoooo~! Darling, where are you? I have some yummy food for yooooou~


*Lorenzo shuddered slightly, thinking back on his last encounter with the Jorogumo. Her clingy nature and overy forward disposition were more than overwhelming. He decided to fix his evening wear that exposed his chest, the thought of her fawning over him made him grimace.*


Lorenzo: I’ll….join you in a moment.


*Knowing that if he didn’t meet with them in the living area, he would end up with her clinging to him in the bedroom, Lorenzo slipped from the bed and ran a hand through his hair, hoping not to entice her with a just out of bed look, before joining the two in the main room*


Lorenzo: My apologies for the wait.


Esta: Meow…. Aren’t we as sexy as ever, and I will say, the disheveled look does become you *Sublely liks her lips.*


Dae-Hyun: ESTA!!!!!!


Esta: Are you still here, rabid lion?!!!


*Hoping to stop the oncoming storm brewing between the two of them, Lorenzo quickly interrupts*


Lorenzo: You said something about food? I’ll admit, I wasn’t expecting it. C is not usually in charge of such things. Is this, perhaps, some iteration of ‘Father’s Day’? Still, thank you both for your thoughtfulness.


Dae-Hyun: Pft! I’m guessing you heard us, hahahahah! Well, let’s get the table ready. My beautiful Esta’s cooking smells amazing as allways.


Esta: ‘My?’ Esta? Boy, bye! We’re only a thing in your dreams, make no mistake. But here in the real world, mature men are more my thing *She winks at Lorenzo*


*Lorenzo pointedly ignores the look. There was no good answer to something like that, that wouldn’t either cause Dae-Hyun to throw a hissy fit, or accidentally encourage Esta further. While it was true that he was ‘mature’ in terms of mundane people, he was still a little young for a demi-god. Pointing that out would probably only have her find something in those words attractive. Rather than that, he busied himself with the table, making sure it was ready for whatever food, before stepping away, allowing the two to serve the meals they had prepared.*


Dae-Hyun: *Sigh* Well, let's dig in.  *Mumbling* Stupid, flirty son of Zeus, stealing peoples girls *pout.*


Lorenzo: *Eyebrow twitching, but muttering* How can I be responsible for this?


*Heaving a sigh, Lorenzo began to dig into the food. Dae-Hyun was right, at least, in that the meals were exquisite. At least that was one hole that could be easily remedied, and gave him the excuse of not needing to talk about what had happened with Zeus for a little while. All too soon, however, the meal came to an end. Hoping to delay a little longer, Lorenzo made some tea for the group, before taking his seat once again, nursing the cup in his hands*


Esta: Well, I best be off, unfortunately. But don't worry, I’ll be back in the morning. We’ll talk about SAJA tomorrow, so be prepared for the reports and teachers’ plans for the week. *Sigh* Well, that’s gonna be ‘FUN.’


Lorenzo: Oh….yes….I had forgotten. Until tomorrow then, Miss Esta.


Esta: Bye, hun! *She blows a kiss before turning to Dae-Hyun* Rabid Lion.


*She leaves closing the door behind her.*


Lorenzo: *Sarcastically* Wow….you….really know how to pick them, C.


Dae-Hyun: Leave me alone! You jackass! Woman stealer!!!! Old flirt!!! *Pouting*


Lorenzo: I was hardly flirting, and I do not go out of my way to steal other people’s women. I am not Eros and not able to charm women by being the epitome of ‘love’ or ‘lust’ and I am not my father-


*He cuts himself off, uncomfortable about bringing up Zeus so soon. Pausing for a moment to evaluate Lorenzo’s reaction, C chooses his next words carefully*


Dae-Hyun: …. Dude… *Sigh* He’s not going anywhere any time soon… so you might as well make the best of ‘a bad situation’. To be honest, just like the organisation’s secrets, there are things we have yet to find out. But, unlike the organisation… all you need to do to find out your answers is ask him directly. He may not give you everything, but he should be able to clarify some things. At least the part with ‘226’s Red War’. Since he’s insisting on rebuilding bridges, that might be the first thing that needs to be cleared up.


Lorenzo: Maybe….Such a pleasant conversation, that. “Yes, ‘father’, let’s talk. How about you tell me why you and all the others left us all to die”....*He looks away for a moment* ...That isn’t to say I won’t ask, of course. There is a lot that do need to be answered for. But I can’t just…..bring it up like that. One conversation with him didn’t make me just magically like him again. If I brought it up now, when my heart is still so confused, it would be easy for things to descend back into rage. I need….a little time...I’m sick of being angry, but if I want to be able to let that go, I need to….accept some things first. Maybe then, when I do ask, I can….come to terms with things, the way I couldn’t before.


Dae-Hyun: Suit yourself, but for now… just see how things go….. At least lend him your ear…when the time comes. That’s all I’m asking man. Oh, and before I forget, there’s a package coming. I think it’s from a goddess or something. It was commissioned from Zeus, but he said it’s gonna need altering to suit your tastes, so, while we’re in ‘Teacher Mode’, Esta’s gonna work her magic. We have a few new kids in your class that are of the Mystic persuasion, so protocol calls for some form of protection- Oh shit!


Lorenzo: What now?


*Running to the study, Dae-Hyun scrambles to gather two folders*


Dae-Hyun: *Higher than normal pitch* Well, I forgot to mention about these two….. Students.


Lorenzo: I’m not surprised. You forgot a lot of things to do with this school crap. Still, proceed. What’s wrong with these two that it has you so panicked?


Dae-Hyun: Well, it’s a funny story... *Nervous laugh* You see, the Teacher Killer and her handler are an…. ‘Interesting’ pair.


Lorenzo: OK, interesting, I’d assume, that the ‘teacher killer’ is either an assassin that literally kills teachers, or ends their careers. Considering you’re not pulling out the artillery, I’m going to assume the latter case. I’m also going to assume they weren’t in the class last time. So, enough beating around the bush. Tell me.


Dae-Hyun:  Oh, so already met her? But, seriously, you hit the nail on the head with the assassin thing - both of them, really. If I’m remembering correctly... *Flips through the file* Ah! Here it is: they were trained by the AH organisation. Both of them are protected by Our Lady herself, so they’re a special case. We mainly let them do as they please, to a certain extent. N’ those kids, yeah….they follow her…and, depending on whether she likes you or not, well, ‘the killer will or won't be set loose’.Still, if anything, her handler usually tames her before she can get ‘that’ bad. Just… just don't separate them and you’ll be fine. But if there is a case where she goes off, RUN! RUN like the heavenly forces are after you, and don't forget to take the kids… Last time we had an issue, she burned half the school down… we lost nine good teachers that day.. *Shakes head, shivering wildly*


Lorenzo:...OK, so…why exactly do you think it’s a good idea to have me in charge of this class again, once you dump this on me? Considering my own temper, her apparent temper and other past incidences on both sides, don’t you think you are literally inviting an apocalypse?


Dae-Hyun:  Believe it or not, I think you might be the only teacher she’ll be tame with. *Mutters under breath* You’re both as bat shit insane as each other. Temper’s just about right too. A match made in heaven - no hell. Definitely hell…. Should I just call the undertaker now? Um … oh shit! I said that out loud didn't I?
Lorenzo:...No shit, Sherlock. Look, I’m insane. I accept that. But even I think that this is a dumb idea. Either we’ll end the world, or we’ll team up to end the world, or we’ll traumatise the world and claim domination. But this will not end up being the most responsible thing to do, what so ever, to place a wild child in and around a person who willingly would have ended life as we know it. *Rubbing his chin* I suppose then, that ultimately, whatever happens will be your fault. I warned you, after all. Perhaps I should get it in writing, just so I can tell you ‘I told you so’ once the class and I subjugate the entire country.


Dae-Hyun: Y-you're joking right?


Lorenzo: *Resting his chin on steepled hands* Am I? Am I joking, really? *Closed eyed smile* Well….it’s all on you, isn’t it, dear C.


Dae-Hyun: Duuuuuude?! Seriously, you’re the adult, at least have some self restraint, man.


Lorenzo: Ah, but we know that I can’t possibly be trusted with my own decisions. I’m….what did they say to Lady Pouvel…? ‘Not mentally sound’ and thus ‘cannot be held responsible for my actions’. So, as the one making sure I don’t run with sharp objects and other such harmful things, you are the one directly responsible for keeping me in line. Or did I miss anything? Hmmmmm? *Devilish grin*


Dae-Hyun: You… you devil.


Lorenzo: Ah, not quite, but I’m sure I can elevate myself to his level.


Dae-Hyun: WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU!!!!!????


Lorenzo: You know, I don’t know. We can always ask the psychologist the next time, after they come around to give therapy to everyone we’ve traumatised.


Dae-Hyun: Bruh…. *Makes the sign of the cross with fingers* Uh uh, you have some demons in you that you need to exorcise! ‘Coz your shit ain’t normal *Backs a few feet away, trying not to chuckle.*


Lorenzo: I’ll have you know I make sure to stick them on a treadmill every day. They get plenty of exercise.


Dae-Hyun: Fuck you, man.


*Taking his tea and sitting back in his chair, Lorenzo merely gives him a sly smirk over the rim of his mug*


Lorenzo: I don’t do insest, ‘son’. Maybe you should ask Miss Esta instead.


Dae-Hyun: *Flips the bird* You know, I really hate you sometimes. You know that?


Lorenzo: Oh, I know. It’s a calling, really.


*He chuckles a little, before shaking his head, fixing his gaze on the mug*


Lorenzo: I know that if I do that in reality, when I’m unable to see clearly, I will likely be put down like the rabid creature I am. So I’ll try not to cause you too much trouble...possibly. You may need to check up with me on that another day, of course. I might have changed my mind.


Dae-Hyun: Oh shut up, you loved being part of the faculty. It was in your eyes at the end of the day. You love ‘My’ Esta’s cooking and you're walking up to the idea of sanity.  But don't worry, Daddy, if you do go off the deep end again, I’ll be the one dragging you along out of the crazed waters of your mind. ‘N if that doesn't work, I do carry a taser around. *Teasing grin* Zap Zap.


Lorenzo: Uh….I have the blood of a lightning wielding god. I’m….pretty sure tasers...don’t work on me. Since they’re, you know, electric. *He sighed, scratching the back of his neck* You make it sound easy, though, that I can just pick and chose when I ‘leap off sanity bridge’. I….don’t think it’ll be easy to just…..choose to be sane again. Just so you know. It’s better than you getting your hopes up too high. But I suppose if you’re all insane enough to still take that risk, well, who am I to judge.


*He raises his mug in a mock toast.*


Lorenzo: To insanity and beyond.


[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment