Wednesday 9 August 2017

Journey home: Road to Redemption Pt 1



Agent C: Hey man, let’s go get a drink.

*The air was crisp as the pair made their way to a certain bar, the long faded neon lights read ‘Black Betty’. Through the door, muffled jazz serenades the empty alley*

Agent C: You still remember this place, right?

Lorenzo: Black Betty….I’m almost surprised to see it still here, with how the world’s changed. Kind of nice to see the place is still going strong. Tell me, does the same person still run it, or has it changed hands in recent years?

Agent C: Of course. The old fool won't die, nor give it up to his kid. Claudia, I think she's called. Bull dyke lookin' mother fucker…. You’ll know ‘er when you see ‘er.

Lorenzo: In other words, not your type, then. The way you talk about her, though, it sounds as though this ‘Claudia’ has been hoping to run this place, then? Or is it more he’s grooming her for the role, but she’s not yet ready?

Agent C: Not any, man. ‘N’ that’s all I’m saying. Also, yes, but if we're lucky, she's not there today. Fingers crossed.

*The bell chimes as an inebriated gentlemen falls out the door, closing onto a drunken slumber.*

Agent C: Well, shall we?

Lorenzo: Indeed. I’m almost curious as to the reactions. Lead the way, C.

*The two gracefully step over the drunken fool into the somber atmosphere of bar, where a woman makes her way to the pair*

Claudia: Welcome boys.

Agent C: Fuck.

Claudia: Ha, not with you, hun. You’re not my type, rabid lion.

Agent C: Funny.

Claudia: Who’s your friend? I haven’t seen him before.

Agent C: No one you need to know, nor need to worry about.

Claudia: Suit yourself. So, you sitting at the bar or a table? An’ hurry up about it, I’m only on the clock for a little while longer before dad takes over.

Agent C: Don’t worry about it. We’ll be sitting at E33, if it’s free.

Claudia: Oh… Sure, go ahead. I’ll tell dad, when he comes, to serve you guys back there.

*That said, Claudia made her way back towards the bar, most likely to inform her father of their arrival. Meanwhile, Agent C led them deeper into the bar, down the stairwell, and into another smaller but refined looking bar, quite the contrast to previous atmosphere. Though the room was nearly empty apart from a few patrons, and the jazz band in the background, the place was empty. A perfect setting for a private meeting.

Choosing a booth the pair order there first lot of drinks and settled in. Somewhat curiously, Lorenzo glanced around to see how much the present appearance matched his memories. Apart from the odd thing here or there - a new paint job in a place that Lorenzo recalled a chipped area from an accident that he recalled when the old group got a little rowdy during a victory party, almost everything was the same.*

Lorenzo: It’s amazing how they’ve managed to keep everything as it had been, despite the years…..though…..is that the spot where B accidentally sent a dart through the wall?

*He nods to the painted area*

Agent C: Yup, the very same one. Went through three layers of brick and concrete - the old man was pissed. Even went straight to Madam Povell with the bill to fix it. I remember she got B to control his powers real quick after that.  But hey…

*An elderly man dress in a bartender's uniform appears with their orders.*

Elderly Man: A Noir Charle and a Whisky and water for booth…

*The old man's words were cut off by his brief shock, before regaining his composure*

Elderly Man: How many years has it been since I last saw you, boy? For a moment, I thought the worst had happened. So, which rock have you been hiding under?  

Lorenzo: Pleasure to see you again, too, Mister Nathaniel. Lets just say….I’ve been unable to show my face around these parts for a while. Business, I’m sure you understand. Even so, despite it all, it is good to see you still going strong, even after all this time. Forgive me if I’ve caused you worry.

Nathaniel: I can still kick your ass your ass, kid, so if you’re having a dig at my age there… *Sigh* If you need me, press the bell

*With those parting words, he left, giving the two some privacy. The alcohol seemed especially flavorful tonight. The scene was peaceful and the drink seemed to be the key to loosening a certain demigod’s tongue, allowing a glimmer of his real emotions to come forth.*

Lorenzo: You know….I know what you’re trying to do here….Still, you always were a little better at reading me than most. Most likely you guessed that I wouldn’t say anything any other way. Has anyone ever told you that you’re far more sly than most give you credit for?

Agent C: I have noooo idea to what it is your referring to, I’m just a stranger you're venting to that's all.

Lorenzo: A Stranger, huh?

*He was quiet for a moment, wrapping his fingers around the glass, eyes somewhat distant*

Lorenzo: In a way, I suppose that is true. Time’s passed, we’ve all experienced things far different than each other, our paths leading us in different directions for the longest times until recently when those roads have intersected once more. In a way, we are strangers to each other now, even with our shared history.

*Lorenzo takes a steadying breath for a moment, before letting it out slowly*

Lorenzo: There is something you should probably know. While I promise that Phoenix is long behind me, I might not come back here, you know that, right? I mean, I’m certainly glad of the changes, the things you and all the others have done. In that alone, I’m grateful. You did far more here than I ever could have. You’ve all grown so much. In that case, I’m not sure I exactly have a place among you again. I do, however, have something in mind. Will you hear me out? At least before you scold me for being….ah, what was it? A ‘Stubborn Asshole’?

Agent C: ….. You have a place, you just don’t intend to go back to it. To be honest, no one expects you to. Our goal was just to bring you, and many others, back to the light. But it seems like we’re making progress… You finally admit that you're a ‘Stubborn Ass’. Baby steps, I guess.

Lorenzo: Hah, I’ve always admitted it, just never in your ear shot. You tend to not let things like that go once people admit such things to you. Though saying ‘back to the light’ is stretching it a little. There’s no true ‘light’ or ‘darkness’, if you think about it. Much like the night’s sky has the moon and stars, or how daylight casts shadow. We live in a world of many colours and many shades. I suppose, instead, it’s more that N and yourself have just helped to….give a change in perspective. The view is the same, it is just the window one sees it through is of a different type.

*Sitting back, he shrugs, a wiry smile on his face*

Lorenzo: Or perhaps I’m being a little too philosophical. To get back on topic, in a way, you’re right in that I don’t intend to return fully to Pandora. Phoenix knows of me now, will know that I’m in Pandora again and, you know, they don’t let someone leave easily. I’ve already caused enough damage to the team without making them a target once again. Still, that doesn’t mean that things will go back to how it was when I was in Phoenix, half mad with various thoughts, and how they were twisted in my mind to help me become what I was. Instead, there are things that I can do, for you and the ‘family’. Sometimes, having people not entirely affiliated getting things, like non regulation objects, safe houses….information that is not angled or withheld in some way, is just as useful.

*Closing his eyes, he angles his head to the ceiling*

Lorenzo: There is a lot I wish to tell all of you, but only the family. It couldn’t go further than that. This…..isn’t about deities having involvement with Pandora, either. Not exactly. But it truly isn’t something that can be told to the organization in its entirety. The information is too...fragile, I suppose you could say. If nothing else, I suppose you could say my idea, in its entirety, is a ‘back up plan’.

Agent C: You're a coward, you know that…? Our family isn't as fragile as you think we are. What's left of US is waiting to follow you. It's the reason they held on dumb ass.so if you plan on being an informant…. TAKE them with you.

Lorenzo: I wouldn’t say ‘coward’ so much as ‘pragmatic’. After all, if they’re too busy with me, then it leaves you guys to do the real work. Still….Are you suggesting I ask others to abandon their home, too? I’m certain that that would be a few crimes against Pandora too many. Or are you suggesting that such an idea, to be a separate sect, is already in play? If they were truly waiting for me to even suggest such a thing, I’m beginning to wonder about more sanity than just my own. Honestly, though, perhaps all of you in the family hearing me out first would be best. If my idea is to work, some of you would need to remain here, after all.

*He looks around carefully a moment*

Lorenzo: This has nothing to do with my supposed ‘cowardice’, but rather, to do with things from Phoenix that I do know, which wasn’t known to the rest of the group, something other spies would not know. And, while it was true there was much that happened over my head as well, there were things I was still privy to. That’s why I would need to talk to the family about it. And why, even if I don’t quite deserve it, I need you to trust me when I say this isn’t about a personal fear. If, after I’ve spoken to you all, people still wish to help create a sect with me, then I will not turn them away. Do you think that you might be able to help in letting me meet with them, to explain things….privately? With yourself included, of course. There are things I must tell all of you.

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment