Wednesday 16 August 2017

Journey Home: Road to Redemption Pt 3



--- Pandora Headquarters Entrance Hall ---

*As Lorenzo and C enter the lobby door to Pandora’s HQ, an angry Voice seems to ring out like thunder, rattling the glass of the doors so they threatened to splinter at any moment.  The vulgar tone seemed to annoy the spectators that were passing through, so much so that this would appear this was not the first time that an incident such as this had occurred. Aside of the slight fear in the young receptionist eyes, the young women, though small in stature, stood her ground, full of exasperation she explained though gritted teeth.*

Female Receptionist: Sir, as I explained to you many times during your last ‘visit,’ the time frame you assigned was impossible to complete your task. I believe I TOLD you it would take at least a month for your ‘inquiry’ to be finished and delivered. You yelling at myself and the other staff will NOT get the work done any faster. SO please be PATIENT and WAIT until then.  

Angry Voice: The hell! I ordered you to get it done by today, so what, pray tell, have you useless sack of shits been doing! Are you or are you not here to do the will of the Gods, you incompetent fools! I thought lesser beings were supposed to be good a DOING AS THEY’RE TOLD.

*With that alone, whatever goodwill Lorenzo had been feeling dropped like hot lead*

Dae-Hyun: *Mutter* Not this guy again... Stupid younger gods think they run the damn world.

Female Receptionist: Excuse me?! *More stern tone* Listen and listen well MR X, you may be a deity, but the organisation does not bent to your will. Under the agency's roof, you are a client like any other. If you don't like the way in which the organisation conducts its business, you are more than welcome to find another agency. Matter of fact, let me look for one for you now! Or would you like to wait like a ‘Good boy,’ shut up and sit down before I call security!

Dae-Hyun: *Whistle* Dam Angelica’s piiiiiiiiissed.

Lorenzo: *Sarcastically* I never would have guessed. She seems to loooove arrogant morons with literal god complexes. *Gritting his teeth*

Dae-Hyun: Pft.

Younger God: How dare you speak to me like that, you pathetic bug! Do you know who it is you dare disgrace like that?!

*Not about to let the god try anything against the receptionist - it was this attitude that had caused him such hate in the first place, after all - Lorenzo clenched his fist, electricity sparking along his knuckles, but before he could do anything-*

Gruff Voice: Oh please, do tell? If there’s a pathetic bug here, it’s you. First you insult the ones doing YOU a favor, then you have the gall to flaunt your status… you swine! You’re no better than the rest of the mundane beings that we govern….

Younger God: But-!

*Materializing, the disembodied voice gained form: a mature looking gentleman wearing a smart business suit and trench coat, the aged features of his face similar to another man in the lobby*

Gruff Voice: BUT What?

*The older man glared hard, making the air seem heavy.*

Gruff Voice: Look around you, you incompetent swine. Times have changed. They owe us nothing! Nor can they respect us with arrogant simpletons flaunting power. And you call yourself a God… you are a disgrace to the Divine Race.

*With that, a group of agents calmly defused the tension in the room*

Agent: Lord Zeus, please allow us to take over

Zeus: … As you wish.   

*Lorenzo froze, whatever power he had gathered fizzling out almost immediately. Zeus...it was him...A part of him wanted to whirl around and leave right then and there, get away from him as far as he could, but the manner in which he was acting, so different from the god he knew froze him into place, incredulous. Zeus had been scolding another god….for acting exactly how he used to act? It was so hypocritical it made him want to laugh, but at the same time, he had stepped aside when one of the Agents had spoken to him, without any kind of fight.

If felt like he had stepped into some kind of strange hallucination

Even so, he truly did not want to spend time with gods. He didn’t want to test the reflexive urge to yell or strike out, not when the agents only just dealt with one idiot of a deity. As such, he lowered his head, taking a few breaths to steady himself, before murmuring to C with as steady a voice as he could muster.*

Lorenzo: Can we go?

Dae-Hyun: Su-

*Just as Dae-Hyun, was about to finish his comment, the gruff voice of the older Deity spoke, head turning back slightly piercing blue eyes fixed on Lorenzo*

Zeus: Not even a hello to your dear old  father? Surely your mother trained you better than that, boy?

Lorenzo: *Teeth gritted* I owe you nothing. Didn’t you say that yourself? If manners bothered you so much, then perhaps the pot should look at itself before calling kettle black.

Zeus: Yes, you owe me nothing. But a simple greeting does not cost you anything. You’re old enough to know that…. But… I have things to discuss with you and I rather not do it here… Please, this way.

Lorenzo: *Still turned away* I have nothing I wish to say to you, however, not even in greeting, not now. Hopefully never. I’m happy enough if we were to never cross paths. And I would much rather that you kept whatever you wish to say to me to yourself. You lost your chance a long time ago. Still, I, similarly, would rather not cause a ruckus inside Pandora, so if you would go your own merry way then we can both get on with our lives.

*The deity’s eye seemed to twitch at the remark, a small wave of pain stung with each of his seeds words… Taking a breath, he spoke, gesturing towards Dae-Hyun, saying he would be taking Lorenzo for an hour, before taking the demi god’s hand and materializing them both into one of Pandora’s many private conference rooms. Leaning against the door of the room the older god spoke once more.*

Zeus: *Sigh* One hour won't kill you, boy.

*Zeus’ tone was some what gentle, quiet even, his eyes were closed and breathing seemed to be gentler too. Despite this, Lorenzo was shaking with rage at the fact that he had been completely ignored. Not only that but had been taken against his will, but was even blocking the exit. With a yell he wrenched himself away from the god and aimed a punch at him. Of course, even if Lorenzo was stronger and faster than a mundane person, Zeus was still a god. Instead, he shifted only enough that Lorenzo’s punch caused the wood of the door to buckle under his fist, leaving a deep indent that, had the door been any thinner, would have splintered it entirely. Shaking with fury, he locked eyes on the other god, gaze filled with hate*

Lorenzo: See? This is exactly what I mean! You do whatever the hell you want and never listen at all! Don’t you get it already? You are nothing to me! I denounce you! You are no father of mine! I want nothing to do with you! Or is your head so full of lightning and self righteousness that you can’t understand that?! Now move out of the way!

*Wrenching his fist from the door, he attacked him at full force, no longer truly caring about the fact he was in Pandora. He just needed to get out, out now, away from HIM. The strikes were far less coordinated than usual, driven only by a primal urge to get away from what what felt horribly like he had been cornered. Yet Zeus did not strike back, not even when several of his strikes grazed him. It was only when he had landed a solid blow on the god that things suddenly became a blur as Zeus grasped his arm and in a flurry had swing him around, locking his arm behind him so if he tried to wrench it from him or wriggle to get free it caused searing pain through his shoulder.

No, no he didn’t want to be trapped like this! He didn’t even want to recall the last time he had been in such a lock! Hell, he was prepared to tear his own arm off to escape from the god’s hold and leap out of the window, damage to person and property be damned, but Zeus’ hand was wrapped around his forehead, yanking his head back against him, saying nothing, not even as Lorenzo struggled and yelled, nor when he stomped on his feet or zapped him with his power (Zeus was god of lightning, dammit to hell!) nor when he tried for a weapon in his free hand. He barely flinched when Lorenzo grabbed hold of a statue that had sat on a pedestal close by and smashed it backwards over the God’s head, though he moved quickly grabbing at his free arm as well.

Lorenzo quickly tried to get loose now that his head was free, ramming it backwards and ignoring the feeling of stars bursting behind his eyes even as he heard Zeus grunt as skull made contact with his nose. It was just enough that Lorenzo could finally yank free and dart towards the window, ready and willing to dive straight through it, but the god recovered faster than anticipated, grabbing hold of his arms once again and yanking him backwards, enough that Lorenzo was thrown off balance and crashed against his chest. Moments later, the God’s hands were around his wrists once more, crossing his own arms before him.

Yelling and snarling, Lorenzo still fought, Writhing and twisting, kicking backwards on feet, ankles and knees, throwing his head backwards in an attempt to stun Zeus once again, but nothing, nothing was freeing him. But even if it was hopeless, he continued to struggle, struggle until even his stamina had finally run out, leaving him barely able to breathe, wanting to scream and shout, but unable to draw enough air in his lungs to do so, his voice barely coming out louder than a shameful sob*

Lorenzo: Damn you….damn you to hell...damn you….

*A faint trickle of a memory wafted through both of their minds, a time of Lorenzo’s childhood. The God’s next words seemed to echo those faded memories of a happier times, as Lorenzo reluctantly recalled that particular memory. *

--- Memory: Training grounds, Mt Olympus ---

Zeus:  Nice try, boy, but you’re centuries too early to think you can beat me.

12 yr old Lorenzo: Damn it! You’re too strong, old man!

Zeus:  *Chuckle* Uuumm, no, you’re just too weak, my cute little ‘Renze.

12 yr old Lorenzo: Aaaaah! I’ll beat you one day, papa!

Zeus: Oh? And when will that day be? Tomorrow? The next day? Like I said, you’re centuries too early to beat me, ‘Rense. So, as the victor of our little battle, what should I have as my reward?

12 yr old Lorenzo: I-I’m only a kid so, so only something I can give you… ‘an let me go already!!!!

Zeus: Umm, no, not untill I get my reward *grin*

*The God began to tickle and shower the boy with kisses and affection, a gentleness in his eyes… in both their eyes, was prominent. A shared bittersweet memory now.*

--- Present time ---

*Zeus peered into the glasses reflection, seeing the rage in his seed’s eyes. Though fatigued, his eyes seemed to fight. He released him from the binding position he had once held him in and held him from behinds as they both collapsed to the floor. Gently he held him close, giving his head a gentle kiss, the sorrow and pain in his eyes was there for the world to see. At the end of the day, behind Lorenzo, was not a god… but a man… a father who wanted to so desperately rekindle his relationship with the boy who left his side centuries ago.*

Lorenzo:...Stop acting like nothing has changed….You made sure of that a long time ago....So why…? Why do you torture me now? When we both burned our bridges….Do you hate me that much? To try and tear down every barrier I have, only to rend my heart asunder once again?

Zeus: I made a decision based on the circumstances at the time! A decision that would shave many lives at the cost of a few… a...a choice that, as a god, a leader, I stand by. Yet as a man, I regret… that choice ultimately lost me my greatest treasure… the last of my beautiful children.

*The god’s hands begin to visibly shake, as the grip around Lorenzo tightened.*

Zeus: You grow up with hate in your heart, so much so that you even went over to the ‘other side,’ for a time. It hurt me to see you in so much pain. And even when the ‘others’ wanted to give up and punish you, I managed to convince them otherwise…. Just like those down on this plane, I couldn’t give up on you. I couldn’t abandon my sweet boy.

*He kisses Lorenzo’s hair once again, lingering there for a moment*

Zeus: And, even when I could not physically be by your side, I never stopped watching over you. In times of war and peace. No matter what you think of me, no matter how much you despise me! I’m still your father. I still adore my ‘little lightning bolt’. And, even though my  time in this life cycle may be snuffed out tomorrow, I still wish to be by you once more. Not as a god but as a father. That is my one wish…. Selfish, I know…. But…

*The rest of the sentence seem to stick in his throat, the words tapering off as he choked back the tears that were beginning to form. Even so, Lorenzo shook his head harshly, ignoring the tears that had spring in his own eyes, frustration, sorrow and anger all threatening to strangle him, but he forced himself to speak*

Lorenzo: I don’t want a father. I don’t need a father….You and I both know that I would never win out against your so called duty….You should have…..just let those who wanted me dead try to kill me….You should have given up on me, the way I gave up on you a long time ago. And even if you feel it was right…..it still doesn’t fully justify what you did….

*He screwed up his eyes, bowing his head as he lost the fight against his own body, tears beginning to fall.*

Lorenzo: I hate you…..I hate you so much….for so long…..so why…? Why are you breaking my heart all over again…? Why won’t you let me despise you? Stupid….stupid old man….Let me hate you….Let me hate you!

*Letting out a cry of despair, he whirled around punching him in the chest, but there was no strength behind it at all as he instead succumbed to sobbing, curling his hands over his face to hide his shame, brokenly choking out words of hate that sounded more like cries for help*

Gently cupping Lorenzo’s cheeks, hands overlapping his son’s, Zeus gently touches his forehead with Lorenzo’s. There was a warmth between them that hadn't been there in centuries. Though he would never admit it, Lorenzo greatly missed the warmth of those hands, rough and callous from numerous battles but so gentle as they held him and soothed his hair like they did so many years ago. As his consciousness faded from exhaustion, he recalled the rest of that memory…

--- Memory ---

12 yr old Lorenzo: Papa! I’m so mad at you!

Zeus: I’m sorry, my little lightning bolt, won’t you forgive me?

12 yr old Lorenzo: NO!

Zeus: I was busy with work, but i did see your fight with ‘sfdbfnwrk’ though the eye of the fates. I’m so proud of you. I even got you a gift as a reward for winning. Look, its outside.

12 yr old Lorenzo: NO. I’m not gonna forgive you!

Zeus: Aww, man, I guess I’m gonna have to return this beautiful little Pegasus, or should I give it to one of your old-

12 yr old Lorenzo: You got me a Pegasus?!! *eyes sparkling*

Zeus: Oh? Am I forgiven with this?

12 yr old Lorenzo: ...Maybe?

Zeus: *Chuckle* What more could my little prince want?  

*The small boy blushed, remaining silent as his father picked him up and brought him to the winged beast, making sure both the saddle and the small child was secure before looking him in the eyes.*

Zeus: I'm sorry I came so late, little one. There maybe times when I won't be able to be there for you, there may be times when Papa has to act more like a God than a father, but… please understand, you are my world and these are the ones I govern: both equally important to me, but Papa loves you the most, and no matter what, I’ll always be by your side, OK?

12 yr old Lorenzo: Promise? *Holds out a pinky*

Zeus: *Wraps pinky finger around the boy’s* I promise. Even if I come late, I’ll always be there for you my little prince.

12 yr old Lorenzo: Ok *Innocent smile* But when you’re not King of the Gods, your free time is mine, Papa!

Zeus: My, my, how demanding you are! I wonder where you get it from?

12 yr old Lorenzo: *Hold up a small pocket mirror to Zeus and snickers*

Zeus: You cheek devil!

*Both laugh*

--- Memory Ends ---

*As the world around him falls to black, the last thing Lorenzo heard was his father's sorrowful voice.*

Zeus: I’m sorry I came so late… my little prince.

*A knock came from the door, opening slightly as Dae-Hyun entered the room*

Dae-Hyun:  Sorry to disturb you, Sir, but….

*Dae-Hyun  looked upon the site, eyes looking somewhat saddened. For the most part, he had heard their voices though the door; he didn't need to be told. Effortlessly picking up his child, Zeus carried Lorenzo to Dae-Hyun’s room, placing him down on the bed and tucking him in, hand petting the younger man's face.*

Dae-Hyun: You know it's strange?

*Zeus made a quiet sound for Dae-Hyun to continue, though his eyes remained fixed upon his fallen son, absently wiping the wetness of his tears from his cheeks*

Dae-Hyun: I my be speaking out of turn and by all means stop me if I am but… eventually… if we want him to turn ‘back to the light’ his father complex has to be resolved first. There's only so much that the agency can do on our own. You might want to patch things up first. We don't have a lot of time, maybe a few years at best but it may be long enough to at least patch things up… Sir… I’ve been his right hand for a long time now…. Even when we were apart I… not what was remaining of 226 we were all hoping for him to come back to us or at the very least come back to his senses. We don't resent him just like you can't hate him for his treason. You both have a chance to patch thing up so… so don't waste it.

Zeus: I am aware of that...And believe me, I wish to fix things between us, but what was done in the past...it is not something that can just be fixed. Even if, as the God-king of Olympus, my actions for the many are justified, there was still many a wrong done to him. Even so….I don’t think that all is lost between us, either. Do not deny your presence, but you could hear it, couldn’t you? His voice at the end? Even as he denies me, the child of back then, the one who loved me with all his heart, is still there, just under the surface.

*Gently, he brushes a strand of hair from his son’s face, watching as the young man subconsciously shifted his face into it. A slight smile crosses his lips, both fond, yet at the same time sorrowful*

Zeus: Oh, don’t get me wrong. He’ll make me work for it. After all, he is my blood, and just as stubborn as myself. But I believe that one day, we’ll at least be on amicable terms again. Maybe even be father and son once again. But, one step at a time. Rushing will merely push him away, back into ‘His’ hands once again. So, even if time is of the essence, I will be patient.

*He turns to look at Dae-Hyun once more, face serious*

Zeus: I ask of you, Dae-Hyun, will you stand by him? Shield his mind from the darkness that plagues it. There will be times when he will struggle. There will be times when he will resent me and everything. But I believe that, if he knows he has support, feels as though he is not alone in his troubles, then things will turn out for the better. Unfortunately, I know that I will not be able to get through to him alone. Be there for him. Promise me.

Dae-Hyun: Of course. I am his right hand after all *Grin* I know what it’s like to feel alone while being bathed in darkness. It’s maddening. ‘His’ seduction is sweet and gentle but…. His methods are greatly disagreeable. Yes, the world needs to change, especially for us half-breeds. The Man and the Mystic need to be as one once more - that’s the only way any of us will be at peace and ‘He’ will have no power. It’s what we stand for. But we can’t do it alone. I’m no longer up there, so I can only do the rough work down here, but I promise that we will do what we can to be the pillar of light and order, as long as you and your kind be the pillar of truth and give us your blessing.  *Dae-Hyun bows* and, with that, we all can have hope for a better future. Well, that’s what I believe, anyway.

*Zeus chuckled softly, eyes closed, but the smile on his face spoke of relief.*

Zeus: Then I thank you for that. I will do what I can with the gods. It is strange, is it not, how things have changed over time. I’m quite sure that ‘They’ would be laughing at me, if ‘they’ saw me now. Still, ‘they’ had the right idea. I was, back then, merely too blind to see it. Still, better late than never, I suppose.

*He turns his attention back to his so once again*

Zeus: I….loathe to leave him right now, though I wonder, if I were to stay, how would he react?

Dae-Hyun: …. I'd say leave for now - let him process everything then come back… so he knows you haven't abandoned him.

Zeus: I had thought that might be the case…

*Sighing, he stood up, fingers lingering only a little longer at his son’s cheek before finally letting his arm fall to his side. He paused, looking Lorenzo over one last time, before finally tearing his eyes away, nodding to the other agent.*

Zeus: Then….I shall leave him in your care, for now. Until I return, Agent C.

*With that, the god dematerialized, leaving Dae-Hyun and the unconscious Lorenzo alone once more*

Dae-Hyun: … ‘Til then, Sir… *Turning to Lorenzo and sighing* Man, you do not know how fucking lucky or loved you are, do you? Stupid son of Zeus.

*With that Dae-Hyun, flops to his own bed with a sigh, shooting Esta a text before he, too, rested his eyes. He could deal with the list of problems later, but for now let ‘Somnus’ take him away, like his partner, at least for the moment...*

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment