Sunday 25 September 2016

Flowers, Cookies and Blood




--- Povell Manor, North London ---

*7:30 pm. Povell Manor is silent, and the last ray of sunlight is fading though the curtains tanning the room beige, Mada povel sits back on her chair watching a sleeping girl out of the corner of her eye. She breathes in and dials a number on her communicator. A few rings and there's no answer, a few more rings and finally a smiling face is on the screen*

Madam Povell: *Sigh* I’m glad...I had thought something had happened to you. Be more prompt in answering me, Alastair.

Alastair: My apologies, Ma’am. Things were a little difficult over here for a while. The seal that needed replenishing was causing interference with the communicators when at close range. I contacted you as soon as I was capable of doing so

Madam Povell: Hmph….Alastair, I believe I told you that you are to use my name when we’re alone. Mission aside for now, my concerns are for you and you alone.

Alastair: Ah, I wasn’t entirely certain that you, yourself were alone. Very well, Violet. But not to worry, I am quite well. While the situation was somewhat tense, I and the rest of the team, incidentally, are unscathed. You have no need to worry yourself further.

Madam Povell: Well, not entirely alone - I have my little Flower resting on the arm chair, all curled up. *Turns the communicator slightly* Ah, she reminds me of when she was a child….She grew up so fast. It’s enough to make a woman feel old.

Alastair: It is the way of the world. Time seems to get away with all of us, it seems. Still, I’m glad to see that your Flower is blooming well. I shall be sure to visit her once I return. For now, I suppose it would be wise to update you on the situation, however. Unless you have more you wish to ask of me?

Madm Povell: You mean ‘Our’ Flower, I’m sure. After all, you are her godparent as well. *chuckles* However, you’re right. Tell me, how are my two agents? The one with you and our undercover agent?

Alastair: There is little I can tell you about your undercover agent. ??? recently left, and its possible that he will be able to give me more information when I get his next report. I can, at least inform you that she is alive, but beyond that….I’ll report to you more once ??? has got back to me. On the other hand, I can certainly pass on information about Agent T. It seems that she has recovered from her injuries that ??? reported and was even capable of using Zeus to an extent. It would seem that she is interested in training somewhat in mystic arts here at the temple. Or at least, some of the basics, she is aware she has responsibilities to us after all.

Madam Povell: An interesting idea, though do you have time for that? It is my understanding that it takes several years to master the arts and you have only days in that location. To be quite honest, I have no wish for this child to meet 226 yet - her emotional state is turbulent at best and frightening at worst. I want a controlled environment for her first mission, so, in regards to Agent T, have her taught warding magic and exorcism sutra for now. Her next location is one closer to Tokyo, if I’m not mistaken. We will also have a better weapon forged there and have her learn mystic tactics there. In addition, have ??? contact me as soon as he is abl-

*Moaning and the cracking of vertebrae can be heard *

Alastair: Ah, it would seem that Our little flower is awake?

‘Little Flower’: *Growl* Al-as-tair!!!! You bastard, where the hell did you go without telling me?! i’ve been looking for you everywhere!  What the hell, you just up and leave without telling me!!!! Both you and that troll of a man just go MIA on my ass and don’t tell that he wasn't here, his fangirls are still lingering around here going on about how he was doing this and that all bloody day!  Damn that flirt. It's been 3 months… 3 month and he hasn't contacted me! GOD, are all me like that, Vie?

Violet: *Chuckle* So, you’re upset that your companion hasn't contacted you? And now you favorite butler has left you, too?

‘Little Flower’: Lay off it, Vie! Jeez, you're so annoying for a brat, you shouldn’t tease your elders, damn it. Humph! *Turns head away*

Madam Povell:  *Mumbles* Brat? How dare-

Alastair: Snk-Ahem! Anyway, I apologize for not informing you of my departure. I’m afraid it was something of an emergency situation. It was a similar scenario for your partner as well. If we had the time to do so, we would have indeed informed you. Afterwards, the signal had been disrupted and neither of us could contact base. This was the soonest I could contact either of you. Please forgive me.

‘Little Flower’: EXCUSES!!!! You both have a phone don’t you!!! +.+

Alastair: Indeed - a phone which, as just mentioned, had a disrupted signal which could not reach out of my location. As for your partner, he is currently working in a slightly more delicate situation at the moment. It is probably not wise for him to contact the base, lest the signal be traced. However, I would advise questioning him on the specifics upon his return.

‘Little Flower’: Oh! Don’t you mind him, I’ll be sure to roast his ass the next chance I get! He’s probably done with his mission and off flirting somewhere… It’s in his nature.

Madam Povell:  You almost sound like a jealous girlfriend or lover. It is neither flattering, nor an attractive trait in a young lady.

‘Little Flower’: G-girlfri- AS IF! *BLUSH*  Listen, if I don’t keep him in line, god knows what would happen! I’m just doing my part as his partner to make sure he d-doesn't do anything bad… that all. *Twirls finger in her hair out of embarrassment*

Madam Povell:  you know it’s not at all believable when you say it like that right alaster?

Alaster: My Lady Flower does indeed come across as a little more concerned than the average partner, I’m afraid.

‘Little Flower’: Al! Not you too! You’re supposed to be on my side! Like I said, I'm concerned he’ll do something scandalous while I'm not with him... that’s all.  *Can't look at him in the eye while saying it *

Alastair: As my lady wishes. However, I can assure you that you have no need to worry. He will be quite professional, I’m certain. However, to make it up to you, The both of us shall likely bring back treats as an apology for our abrupt departure. Would that suffice as an appropriate apology?

‘Little Flower’: Humph! I’m not a child, you know. You can’t bribe me with cookies anymore. I’m nearly twenty, for crying out loud!

Madam Povell:  Ah, pardon me, but it was my understanding that you both stole and ate almost an entire batch of cookies the last time Alastair made his speciality platter. *Raises eyebrow and a slight smirk* Do you care to deny this?

‘Little Flower’: I-it was that time of the... ya know... and I was craving something sweet and they happened to be there. It not like I obsess over snacks anymore or anything. Plus I’m looking after my figure. I can’t charm men and women if I look like the pillsbury doughboy, now can I?!

Alastair: Ah, forgive me, but I don’t believe I said food as treats, merely treats. I’m quite certain that we will be capable of bringing something to your esteamed liking, young miss.

‘Little Flower’: And I told YOU! I don’t need them and I don’t need this!!! I’m gonna try and contact ??? and give him a piece of my mind!!! BYE!!!!

*She storms off in a huff, slamming the door so hard the wood rattles around in its frame*

Madam Povell: Oy vey….A light bit of teasing and she almost broke down my door... *Sigh*

Alastair: I should probably warn ???, just in case he is in difficult territory. If her call ends up turning unfriendly attention on him at an inopportune moment….

Madam Povell:  Ah, despite the fact that you have spent the most time with her out of the two of us, you still know her so little *Chuckle* If I was to guess, she will merely run to her room, collapse to her bed and dial his number, though never with the courage to message him. I believe that she will call in a few days, though by then, her temper will have waned. Love does make fools of the young, wouldn’t you say? *chuckles* She should be more honest with her feelings. I remember a certain young butler being the same way.

Alastair: Ah, for me, however, it was more a matter of position and concern for your sake, lest there be a scandal, rather than pure shyness the way it seems to be with Our Flower. However, Forgive me for saying so, but I do pity her somewhat. You know the difficulties, on both sides. *Sigh* Still, it is not business that I should get involved with, I believe. Not that I believe that either would want our involvement.

Madam Povell: True, it’s something they must solve on their own...even a fruitless loves may lead to heartbreak. Yet, the young still have the chance to find new love. *Sigh* If she is wise, she would find another ‘partner’, one more suited to act as her counterbalance. It would be….the preferable option...for both of them

Alastair: It is as you say, however - Love makes fools of the young. All we can do is watch, and wait, and hope that, in the end, things will work out. A naive thought, I know, but...A little optimism in these dark times brings a certain amount of light, don’t you think?

Madam Povell: Quite true, my darling. Foolish...naive...fragile...All we have is hope. For now, however, let us put such matters to one side. My love, you know the date, I’m sure...and due to our circumstances, you and I are unfortunately parted. What shall you do? To grant me my happiness?

Alastair: While it pains me that I cannot be at your side at this moment, I have prepared something for you. While it is a poor substitute, I do hope that my gift I left behind may grant you happiness in my stead. In your desk, in the left side draw, I have left something for you.

Madam Povell: *Opens the draw. Inside is a medium sized, decadent black and crimson wine bottle is resting in the draw. Madam Povell opens it and brings it to her lips, taking small sips, savoring the flavor. For a brief moment, her tea coloured eyes dilate and flash red, she shivers slightly* Alastair... this is your bl-

Alastair: Indeed. It pains me that I cannot be by your side, today of all days. Though a poor substitute, I do hope that this, at least, will offer you happiness, if only briefly, until I might return to my place at your side.

Madam Povell: I-I should reward you, my love. You have brought me more than happiness. *She takes another sip, savoring each sip* You know what your blood does to me... naughty Alastair. I-I should reward you, my love. But I shall do so the next time I see you, so, come home to me soon.

Alastair: Your wish, as always, is my command, my lady, my love.

Madam Povell: Unfortunately, it would seem that our time is at an end. I shall speak with you again soon, my darling.

Alastair: Then I shall long for next time I hear your voice, and wait patiently until then. Please, take care of yourself until then.

*Phone call ends and Madam Povell puts the bottle back in the draw. Meanwhile, on the other side of the house...*

‘Little Flower’ *Collapsed on her bed, she dials the number and stares at the screen, not yet pressing the call button* ...I can’t…. he’s on a mission. *Sigh* I can…. That idiot. Just come home safe… idiot.

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment