Wednesday 19 September 2018

I'll Close My Eyes So I Wont Hear You Cry Pt 7



Inari: And to you as well, Father. I had hoped to be able to meet with you.

Father: So I’ve heard.

*Straightening, he looked up to the Lord*

Inari: Father...Will you help me?

Father: No. Quite frankly, if that child marries-

Inari: It would be good for your tribe, not for her. We’ve discussed the topic at length in the past.

Father: What a rude child you’ve raised, my love.

Parame: He is desperate, although, not in the same way as before. I can tell you, darling, something has changed in him.

*The goddess’ eyes trailed over the younger god’s form searchingly. A snap of her fingers later and the decorative paint and garments transformed. No longer was it mere decoration, but a declaration. His hair drawn into a warrior’s ponytail, his clothing reminiscent of the goddesses divine guards. Dressed in such regalia, Inari stood tall.

Back straight and head high, Inari stepped towards the older man confidently with an air of authority, drawing the gaze of the older man, eyeing him carefully from the corner of his eye.*

Inari: Father.

*Making sure that the man was watching, the proud god dropped to one knee, fist over his heart. He could see an odd glint in the man’s eye, waiting for him to continue.*

Inari: I know your feelings on this matter. However much you doubt, I am confident that I can offer to her all the love, all the support she could ever want. I can help her to become the-

Father & Inari: Leader she is supposed to be?

Father: Don’t make me laugh, boy. Your ‘love’ holds little water.

Venus: *Whistle* You know, he does have a point, Hue

*The older gentleman stalked towards the younger god, his eyes alight like a great beast stalking its prey, gaze latched onto Inari. Swiftly, he launched back to his feet. If he didn’t, surely the other would slay him where he knelt. Sweeping his hand to one side, Inari focused on the power that held his divine weapon, only for Parame’s voice to wash through him like ice water*

Parame: Not that blade. You must use the one at your side. If you are to win the true battle, you must use your own strength.

Venus: Speaking of which…

*A glimmer of light and Inari felt the presence of the goddess behind him, moments before her hand taped his shoulder. Before he could say or do anything, she flashed back to Parame’s side, and began to chant

Venus: *Chant* Restrict thy divinity, Thy power be sealed.

*As if jumping from shadow, a ring shackled itself around his finger. At the same time it felt almost as if a part of him had been locked behind bars, just out of reach. Realisation filled him even before the goddess of love began to speak*

Venus: *Seriously* That is to prevent you from accessing your spiritual abilities until the outcome of the fight is decided. Good luck!

Inari [Inner Thought]: Fuck!

Father: HUXIAN. You proclaim to love my child! And yet you leave her in that state?

*The name felt like a nail was driven into his hand. He could see the expression of her eyes, his hand connected to her. It hurt, wanting to reach out to touch her again, like trying to touch a fire - No! Not now! He had to focus on the now!

Unsheathing the sword at his waist, he looked up at the face of his opponent, except it was different, changed, younger? What? How? What was going on?*

Father: And it is this reason here why I disapprove of your union. You claim to love her, yet you hesitate to touch her. If this is the way it will remain, then deny her and allow her spirit to be free.

Huxian: That isn’t what it’s abou-

*Anything else he wanted to say was cut off as he was forced to block a powerful strike that jarred his body from the force, yet while the strike had been stopped, his words sliced him to the core, pinning him in place as if his limbs locked in lead. Gritting his teeth, he forced himself to move*

Inari [Inner Thoughts]: So what if it hurts! If you don’t stop acting pathetic then you will lose her forever. So move!

Inari & Huxian [Inner Thought]: *Overlapping* We’ve come so far! I do not….no, I won’t give up yet!

It was as if whatever had weighed him down snapped. The dark clouding anxiety in his mind blown away, leaving him feeling just that bit more clear headed. It wasn’t clear yet, but he could think, he could move, he could fight

Twisting his stance, he shifted slightly so that the blades screeched together as the force holding the larger man’s blade back was suddenly gone and, for a moment, his weight pulled him forwards. Quickly, Inari twisted, using the momentum to strike at the man’s unprotected back, only to meet air. Father, no amature, moved with his own momentum, rolling forwards just as the blade sang through where he once stood.

Quickly, Huxian pressed forwards, only for Father to spin, swords clashing together, the force behind it sending the younger skidding back, stumbling to get his feet, only for Father to leap at him with a downward slash. Diving to the side he did his best to parry the flurry of attacks, ignoring the sting of pain of blows not quite stopped as he struggled to pull away from the man. Finally there was a break, and opening. He lunged.

Blade was caught with the other, twist, yank.

The sword was wrenched from his hands, spiraling in the air and rang with a clatter five feet away, the cold kiss of steel just touching his neck

Father: Are you done, boy? This little charade seems pointless, don’t you think? I believe I’ll have the girl marry young-

*Huxian opened his mouth to protest, to snap, but it was almost as if his voice had been stolen. Teeth clenched, he snarled, frustration, anger and fear of loss like an ice grip on his heart, wrapping around his throat and trapping the words inside.

Whatever was shown on his face caused the man to snort, pulling the blade from Huxian’s jugular*

Father: Then get up and fight - if you can. But know this - the odds are stacked against you, now more than ever. The young man’s father has already caught wind of your challenge and is training him harder than ever. Your little victory back then means nothing. Knock an Ashu-Wahari down and we rise up stronger and more resilient than ever before.

The way you are now?

*The man raised his blade, glinting in the firelight like an executioner's ax, whistling through the air as it sliced towards the younger god’s head-*

---------

Father’s Voice: *Low growl* I will have no part in that fight.

*Instead of the cold slice of steel cutting through skin, Huxian found his eyes snapping open, gasping as he shot up in bed in a cold sweat, blood pounding in his ears and his breath coming out in harsh gasps. Shivering, he wrapped his arms around himself, trying to make sense of what had happened. What...what on…

His thoughts were broken by the feel of soft paws and a whining yip. Swallowing, he looked down to find a small black fox doing its level best to scramble into his sheet covered lap to get his attention. Wait….fox? But wasn’t he just….

No, he was laying in bed in his room, light streaming in through the windows overlooking his lands on the Mountain, his mountain. Quickly, his eyes darted to the right of the bed. A person should have been there, but there was no one.

...Had the bed always been this big?*

Rodessa’s Voice: Think about what you want. You owe it to the both of us...I can’t compete with a person who’s no longer in this world...Then maybe we should break up...I’ll only wait a little longer, Hue...Bye...

*Slowly, Huxian buried his head in his hands and focused on breathing, trying to seperate what seemed to have been some horrible dream from the flurry of memories. But even so, the cold grip of emotion clenched at his heart and refused to let go. Frustration, Anger, fear of loss, though he no longer knew if it was residue of the dream or for his own situation. Maybe both, they resonated near perfectly*

Huxian [Inner Thoughts]: Because no matter how you look at it, the feelings are real. I’m frustrated by everything that’s happened, at everything that seems to be blocking me from what I want. I’m angry at myself, at what happened and my inability to change it, angry that there’s a weak part of me that just can’t let go. And I’m afraid that no matter what I do, I’ll lose everything.

*Clenching his hands into fists*

But it’s like in that dream, all it does is clamp down and choke out the very life of me, like I was buried alive and waiting to suffocate, too scared to move lest I lose what I have left, yet too scared not to fight and die in the darkness.

What kind of life is that? Why am I letting myself be held back? There isn’t anything left for me there than a dark grave alone? Why am I afraid to reach out towards the light and breathe? I don’t want to lose anything else! I don’t want to lose her! I do not….no, I won’t give up yet!

Little Black Fox: Yip!

*Jerking out of his thoughts, he looked down at the little fox in his lap, tail wagging furiously as it finally got his attention. Shakilly, Huxian sighed, reaching down to caress the creature’s soft fur*

Huxian: I’m sorry, little one. I was distracted.

Little Black Fox: Yip! Yip!

Huxian: For me? Thank you.

*The Fox dropped a letter into his outstretched hand before bounding off. Carefully, he opened the envelope and pulled out the letter inside. Unfolding it, his eyes trailed over the elegant calligraphy*

-Letter-

When you’ve made up you mind, place the ring on your finger. I shall speak to my husband. For now, take rest there. Don't worry about the girl, I’ll make sure the other gods don’t touch her while you are away.

Mama.

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment