Sunday 2 December 2018

While I Wait



Rodessa: *Scoff, Chuckle* The way you talk, it’s like you’ve been thinking about my future kids for a while? Planning on having your wicked way with an innocent?

Huxian: Me? No. Besides, you’re far too tainted to be called an innocent, no? I’ve seen your list.

Rodessa: I’m still pure! Pure as the driven...uh...driven snow...that’s been stepped on a few times…

Huxian: Sure, sure, and I’m the king of France.

Rodessa: HUE!!!

Huxian: *Laugh* Hey, tell me another one...one more, before my morning meal arrives?

Rodessa: *Mutter* Jerk…Fine. One more.

*Rolling her eyes slightly at Huxian’s playful nature, Rodessa reclined into the bed, stretching, groaning slightly as she felt her spine pop before relaxing once more, moving only to adjust the communicator between her ear and the croon of her neck. On the other end of the speaker, she could hear Huxian’s breathy chuckle. Her eyes narrowed slightly, wondering what caught his amusement this time.*

Rodessa: What?

Huxian: *Fondly* Nothing… You sound tired, kid.

Rodessa: No, I’ve been having decent rest dreaming of-

Huxian: The lover of your dreams?

Rodessa: Exactly. Don’t worry, he’s my ideal type: Better, smarter and more handsome, too.

Huxian: Oh really? Well, that’s how you know it was just a dream.

Rodessa: Huh? What you talkin’ ‘bout, fluff?

Huxian: *Husky voice* Few are better than I. I’m quite the lover, or so I’m told.

*He could practically feel the shudder running through the young woman on the other end of the line. He could picture from the choked off gasp that she was nipping her lip in an attempt to tame the mental images that his words conjured in her mind. The corner of his lips quirked into a smirk, his tongue instinctively flicking over his lips.*

Huxian: Ah...you just imagined it, didn’t you? And while still on the phone with me, too! How scandalous!

Rodessa: *Embarrassed* I-idiot…! You…! Don’t...Don’t ever use that tone in public! It’s bad enough that you’re a human peacock. Adding that voice would be like giving a hoard of felines catnip!

Huxian: *Seductive Chuckle* Oh? Are you trying to feed my inner narcissist? You’re practically calling me an Adonis here. And you wonder why I’m such a ‘Peacock’ when you’re so lovingly feeding my ego. But don’t worry, love, even if everything I do drives the kitties wild, there’s a look, don’t touch policy. Besides, their reactions are nothing compared to yours.

Rodessa: *Blush* You know you’re attractive, Hue. You don’t need me ‘stroking your ego’ and I...have no idea what you’re talking about. I-I...I’m just...humoring you. T-that’s all.

Huxian: You don’t need to lie, little rose. I might not be able to see you right now, but I know for a fact that you’re blushing as red as your namesake. Plus that cute little stutter….what is the word they say over there in Japan…? Ah, yes, I believe the word they would call you, my dear, is ‘Tsundere’.

Rodessa: Oh shut it, Fluff! And I’m not-!

Huxian: *Teasing* Denial isn’t only a river in Egypt, love. Ah, though I’ll be kind and leave you to float there a little longer. Just make sure not to let the crocodiles bite you!

*Of course, if he pushed more on that front he was pretty sure that Rodessa would fume, cut off the call and spend a day or two sulking that he had been poking fun at her. That and grumbling about that admittedly terrible joke. Then he would never hear the end of it - or the end of the story, either. Though whether it would be out of punishment, because it slipped her mind or because Huxian would find himself too wrapped up in the undead hiding outside the barrier he was maintaining, he couldn’t say for sure. And that wasn’t even mentioning how things would go with Rodessa and her exposure to the supernatural for the first time in her memory. As such, he took pity on her and dropped the joke, curling into the pillows once more, trying to ignore the aches in his body from the barrier sapping his strength.*

Huxian: Speaking of the Nile, I wasn’t particularly joking that you sounded a little tired. Will you still be good to tell me that story?

Rodessa: Speak for yourself! My jetlag is nothing. You’re the one in the sick bay. Seriously, this is what happens when I’m not there to keep an eye on you…

*A faint almost self-deprecating smile flickered across his face, his eyes half closed. Honestly, she didn’t realise quite how right she was on that statement. Funny, considering how long he had lived without her in his life. Made him wonder how he rose to his position and maintained it and all those that followed him between the time he had left the Monk’s care and before Rodessa was a light in his life.

However, he wouldn’t - couldn’t - mention it. It would only cause her worry, especially considering how much of their history was lost. Instead, he did his best to ease his tone into something soothing as he responded*

Huxian: Well, I certainly wouldn’t have been upset to have had you at my back, but like I said, I just overworked myself a bit. I’ll be fine once I’ve had a bit of rest. I’m resting right now, after all. You speaking with me like this is keeping me from straining myself in boredom, after all. Even being countries away, you’re still doing your bit, partner.

Rodessa: Is that so? ...Can’t imagine hearing me yap is somehow healing at all...Hmph...If I was there with you, I would have been able to actually do something that would help ease the stress away.

Huxian: *Teasing* What, you mean like give me a massage and pamper me like Mr Fluffington?

*As much as he would have loved to keep up the joke, he knew that Rodessa was speaking from actual concern. His voice softened into something a bit more serious*

Huxian: I know you’d have done everything in your power to help me, Ro. But….in this case, it really had to be me. I’m the one in charge right now and even with delegation, it...it wasn’t something someone else could do. Even so, knowing that you’d have had my back out there...it means a lot. It honestly is a shame you had to be over there. I miss working with you… *he sighed* Even so, listening to you is helping me, more than you know. And not just in keeping me here in the sick bay and not trying to get back out there when I’d just be getting in the way. And...it’s...nice, to hear the voice of someone who I’m not in charge of protecting. You could say talking to you ‘soothes my instincts’, perhaps?

*For a moment there was silence on the other end of the line*

Rodessa: ...Is that what you want? A massage and to be pampered?

Huxian: *Startled* ...What? You mean….you’d do it? *Slight hesitancy* Well...as much as I was joking I...wouldn’t be opposed to it…

Rodessa: Then book a place, get the things we’ll need and I’ll cater to you. I can at least do that much...partner.

Huxian: Awww, you spoil me…

*He chuckled faintly, but not out of any morem of mocking, but rather a touch fondly*

Huxian: Well, once you’re done over there, if I’m still here in China, come join me here. Since I’m treating you to shopping as promised, I’m sure we can put time aside for that, too. How long are you meant to be in Japan again?

Rodessa: A month and a bit, give or take...God, I hope this ends soon - I need to be with you again….Besides, sleeping on my own stresses me...and you and Mr Fluffington are my hot water bottles.

Huxian: Well, you did say we both know I’m hot….*Snicker* But make sure to keep your head in the game. I’ll kill you myself if you get yourself offed trying to rush rather than stay on target - not that you would, but, eh...I worry, too. And, of course, try not to ditch your help too quickly.

Rodessa: *Dark Chuckle* What do you take me for? I’m a Hunter. You know how I like to play. A long and slow kill is far more satisfying. I’ll do what needs to be done and then I get my reward. Isn’t that how it works?

Huxian: *Mock innocently* Oh? And what’s your reward?

Rodessa: You, of course. So, you better stay safe until I get my hands on you.

Huxian: Meow. *Smirking* Well, with words like that, I can’t possibly refuse. *Gently* Don’t worry, I’ll keep myself in one piece. I promise. *Teasingly* I’m looking forwards to see how you hunt with others, after all. Play nice, dear! Though honestly, I am looking forwards to seeing you again. We have a lot to catch up on. And…*Quietinging slightly* I think I’ll be able to relax a bit better, too.

Rodessa: *Small Smile* Sweet talker.

Huxian: *Smile* Flatterer.

*Coughing slightly, knowing that his tone might have been a touch too fond, he changed the subject*

Huxian: A-anyway, how about that sto-

*Unfortunately, before Huxian could finish his sentence, he was interrupted, not by Rodessa, but by a knock at the door of his room. Almost automatically, he felt his muscles tense up once again, not about to be seen quite so relaxed by the other agents, or any of the refugees he had picked up. Quickly, he made sure to speak again, though so Rodessa could hear, if only so she didn’t panic at his cut off sentence, thinking he had been attacked*

Huxian: Ah, one moment, Ro. It seems there’s no rest for the wicked. *Raising voice* Enter.

*He could hear Rodessa sigh heavily on the other end of the phone. However, he couldn’t say more as the door opened, allowing the Lieutenant to enter the room*

Lieutenant: Sir, your morning meal and this morning’s reports. I’ve taken the initiative and summarized today’s meeting for you. If at all possible, could we have your decision on how to proceed by this eve….Oh. Am I interrupting?

Huxian: *Sigh* No more than I was expecting, honestly...Well, I suppose the saying does go ‘I’ll rest when I’m dead’.

*He reached over to take the tray with the food and reports*

Huxian: Anything else?

Lieutenant: No, sir. Please enjoy your meal. I’ll return later to check on you.

*With that and a polite bow, the Lieutenant left the room, closing the door behind him. Waiting for a moment so he was sure the sound of footsteps had faded away, Huxian settled back against the headboard, sighing as he eyed the nutritional (but not very appetizing looking) breakfast and paper stack. Oh, he knew that the food would help keep his energy up as much as minimising his time in human form, but it didn’t make it appealing to the tastebuds. Along with the papers - work when he was on bed rest! - it certainly called an end to the soothing and humorous discussions of old Egyptian royal dramas*

Huxian: *Sulkily*...Why am I leading this mission again…?

Rodessa: *Teasingly* Because of your reward at the end? Surely that's enough reason. I could make it so, if you like?

Huxian: Hm….dealing with all this paperwork and unappetizing hospital gunk...or missing having a personal masseuse? Hm...Ah well, I suppose I can deal with the punishment for the reward. Seriously, this is meant to be a summery….I’m glad I missed the actual meeting if that’s the case. Hopefully nothing too idiotic was decided upon. Hospital room or not I’ll have to roar at them if they tried to pass something truly idiotic by me.

Rodessa: *Chuckle* Well, at least… after all this mess is over, we’ll update your quarters for that nice hotel you took me to last time. The rooms are big enough for us, right?  A TV, room service, Mr Fluffington snuggling on my lap and you reading whatever ancient book you found this time… It’ll be like nothing changed. Much better thought, right?

*He couldn’t help the small nostalgic smile crossing his face, even if he knew his memories had a few extra times...However, he pushed it away and hummed in agreement*

Huxian: Sounds good to me. It certainly gives me something to look forward to after this shitstorm has passed, if you pardon the language.

Rodessa: *Chuckle* Tut tut! Swearing in front of a lady - how scandalous… Well, as much as it... pains me to do so, I’ll have to let you go. The sooner you finish work, the sooner you can call me this time. And, if you’re lucky, I might send you ‘motivation’.  

Huxian: Oh, well with a promise like that, I can’t possibly procrastinate. *He chuckled* I’ll be a good boy and get this done then.

*His tone became almost shy, though only those who knew him would have noticed*

Huxian: Perhaps you can tell me the rest of that story, too? I….Heh...you have a really good storytelling voice...you know?

Rodessa: *Blush* O-of course. Any time.

Huxian: Then...I look forwards to it, love.

[END]

No comments:

Post a Comment